Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
Oh wow, this is great, I finally understand how I might use playlists properly.

I have a question though. I should have a 4gb Nano arriving in the post soon, and I've been wondering how to store my music on it. Ideally I would like to have a few 'stock' albums on there, which will be pretty much permanent, and then the '1 week' and '4 & 5' playlists on there, which obviously will change dynamically. is it just a case of dragging the playlist across to the nano? Would that then copy across all relevant songs as well and keep it synced? My library is around 30gb, so not huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewk
May 22, 2001

wolffenstein posted:

By default iPods sync automatically, so if you choose a smart playlist to sync, the iPod will automatically copy and delete songs to reflect that smart playlist. It's pretty awesome.

lovely, cheers.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

GuyGizmo posted:

How to make a smart playlist of your favorite music you haven't listened to recently:

Once you've made the above playlist "My favorite music" playlist, make a new smart playlist matching 'all' criteria, and make the criteria be:
- Playlist is "My favorite music"
- Last played is not in the last week (or whatever time frame you want)
- Last skipped is not in the last 3 days (or whatever time frame you want. This one is optional)
Now you have a smart playlist of your favorite music that you haven't listened to in a while, and you haven't skipped. The part about it not being skipped is key, since sometimes when listening to a playlist, especially in party shuffle, a song will keep coming up that you just don't want to listen to. That bit ensures that it won't come up again, but not for too long since it is after all a song you like.

This playlist can be expanded even further to include specific genres if you like, using the same technique as mentioned above.

I've gotten iTunes to make some sweet smart playlists using this trick. Hopefully one of you reading this is enough of a programming nerd to appreciate this trick.

Superb stuff. Can I ask, would both playlists have to be present on the ipod, or just the latter. I'm assuming iTunes and iPods cross talk when synced...

Also, as a seperate note, am I being stupid or in the lists the playlists generate is there no way of sorting by track number? I've modded my arrows to take me to the entry rather than the itunes store, and it throws all my albums up in the wrong order, sorted by name, but I can't seem to sort by track number.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

GuyGizmo posted:

As for track numbers, I'm pretty sure that when you sort music in any iTunes playlist by artist or album, it'll organize tracks by their track number automatically. If for some reason that doesn't work I guess you can just tell it sort by track number explicitly.

it sorts it by track number if i search in music, it's just if I view it with the three panels up top that it seems to sort by name or whatever you select. It seems very odd that I can't tell it to sort by track number in this way, by clicking the grey bar above each section, ie the column header.