Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
I am absolutely at my wits end with iTunes Genius. No matter what I do, I can not avoid this error message:

quote:

"Genius results can't be updated right now. The network connection timed out.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection active, then try again."

Here's all my particulars:

* Mac mini: early 2009 model. 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD.
* Running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and iTunes 8.1.
* iTunes Library contains 76,720 items or 433.75 GB -- all content is located on an external 1 TB USB 2.0 hard drive. However, the actual iTunes Library files (XML, ITDB, etc.) are all on Mini's internal HD in ~/Music/External iTunes Library/
* Stable and reliable Cable Internet through Mediacom -- 8 megabits per second download, 768 kilobit per second upload.
* Mini is connected via gigabit ethernet to a 500 GB Time Capsule. Not using wireless at all.

So, to recap: I have a very recent-model Mac with plenty of RAM and free hard drive space. The iTunes library files are on the mini's internal HD, while the content that is played is on an external 1 TB hard drive. I have a fast, stable, and reliable Internet connection. Let's get to it!

I successfully updated Genius a long time ago, like way back in September when it was first announced. My library was closer to 400 GB at the time. I've added some content since then, which I assumed must be causing my problems with updating Genius.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've tried:

1) Make sure I'm on a reliable Internet connection.
I had a technician come out and check the lines. Everything looks great and speed tests and pings back that up. The connection can't be the issue. 8 mbps down and 768 kbps up is probably well into the top half of broadband connections in the US. Besides, I originally updated Genius on a much crappier connection than this!

2) Try off-peak times.
When I delete the iTunes Genius.itdb and iTunes Extra.itdb files, it takes between 10-12 hours to re-scan my library. Genius usually finishes in the middle of the night, between 12 AM and 4 AM Central time. Still didn't work.

3) Try wiping the Genius data and starting over.
I've tried this both ways -- both by specifically "Turning Off Genius" in the iTunes menus, as well as deleting the iTunes Genius.itdb file and the iTunes Extra.itdb file. It takes around 10-12 hours to rescan my library, but this certainly did not help.

4) Scan for, and delete, any files that iTunes can't find (orphan files).
I used both the Smart Playlists trick and an AppleScript to find all these. They're gone. Didn't help.

5) Scan for, and delete, any files that are "continuous" tracks -- like webcasts, radio streams, etc.
Did this too, didn't help.

6) Run iTunes Library.xml through an XML validator and fix any problems by updating the tags of the offending files.
Ran it through Validator and it didn't find any problems at all.

7) Run iTunes Library.xml through TextWrangler and "Zap Gremlins". Update tags in iTunes of any offending files.
Blog post here: http://deanmichael.blogspot.com/2008/10/apple-itunes-genius-network-timeout.html

He suggests that you can have some "Gremlins" in your XML file (and thus your tags) that will screw up Genius. I ran my Library XML file through TextWrangler and found 210+ gremlins. I went through all my tags and fixed them, one by one. My XML file (and thus my tags) are now gremlin free.

Even without ANY gremlins, I still am unable to update Genius.

8) Rebuild my iTunes Library according to Apple's directions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451
Still no luck, even after doing this.

So I am now completely at my wit's end. Stable connection, perfectly clean library, nothing seems to help. I have no idea what else to do at this point. Any suggestions or advice on other things to check or look at? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks to all in advance for any and all help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt
When I originally was able to get Genius to work (back in September), the genius file for my 400 GB library was around 1 GB.

I can't shake a sneaking suspicion that my connection *STILL* isn't fast enough and perhaps dumping my library on my MacBook Pro and taking my external with me to my college campus might do the trick.

The weird thing is that it times out during Step 3 (receiving data from Apple), but does so at different points -- sometimes it's less than 10% of the way, sometimes it's nearer to 60-70% done.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt
By the way guys -- in reference to my Genius problem (see last page and top of this page)... I eventually did end up putting the Library on my MacBook Pro and brought my external HD with me to campus. Worked like a charm on the first try, even over Airport.

I'm guessing it just takes longer to update on my home connection than some part of the chain is willing to wait for, because the connection gets cut off. Apple really needs to work on making it a smarter connection with retry, resume, etc.

Oh well, at least I was able to get it to work and narrow down the problem.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt
Is there a good way to click on songs / artists / albums while browsing the iTunes Store and have it redirect you to your Library? This used to be easily doable using the arrows, but even after enabling them (and disabling the Ping menu) it still doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

If I click on a artist's name while holding Option, it takes me to my library, but nothing happens after that (it just takes me to where I was last, not to that specific artist.)