Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Does 8 or 9 handle really large libraries any better than 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

chimz posted:

Yes, but it still has issues. It is faster at starting up and shutting down, but many actions still cause lag.
What's your definition of really large?

Around 60,000 songs. I imagine that any action lag is inevitable after a certain point, unless I put everything on SSD :haw:

EDIT: this stupid new window in iTunes 9 that shows up when your playlist is blank is going to drive me beserk.

That, and how when you go to edit multiple files the options like gapless album, compilation, etc. are all removed from the main window to Options. Bleah.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 6, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OK, an actual question that's been bugging me since I decided to try to consolidate a lot of the music I have lying around.

I have a bunch of custom compilations that are made up of individual tracks fully tagged with the source Artist, Album and Name. What I'd like to do is group by a custom Album tag somehow without losing the individual Album tags. So I grab one of them, put Sort Album as eg. "Great White North, Volume 3" and check Part Of A Compilation on.

However, when I go into the iTunes Library, "Great White North, Volume 3" doesn't show up as one of the Albums listed, it seems to just grab one of the original Album tags and throw everything under it. All the tags were ID2.3 before I started, so there should be no 1.x ones lying around to confuse the issue.

Maybe what I'm asking for is impossible? I started small, just 2 custom comps and one regular album:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SineOtter posted:

I've been trying to figure this one out myself for a while. It seems that, unless there's something titled with the actual title you're using for Sort Album, iTunes will just pull the album title from the first track and use that.

If you add one track or even just a PDF or something else iTunes will let you add and give it the actual album title you want and don't touch the sort album tag, suddenly everything shows up properly. Not the best solution, but outside of reporting it as a bug there's not much else I've found that can be done.
Well, I figured out a solution that'll keep my musicology gene happy:

1) Took my own advice and realized I had 1.x and 2.x tags, so converted them all to 2.4 and killed the 1.x tags, which is always what I'm preaching here :)
2) Used Media Rage to export all the tags to a delimited file, cleaned that up a bit, then imported it to Excel just to ensure I had a list somewhere,
3) Used Media Rage to move existing Album tags to Comments,
4) Used iTunes to clear out any previous useless Comments, then retagged each volume of the series under the Album tag, ensuring Compilation was on.

It worked like a charm, and then I retagged a bunch of other custom comps in a similar way.

It's like I always say around here, convert your 1.x tags to 2.x unless you have some crappy device that can't read the new ones, they'll only cause you pain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HammyJ posted:

Sorry about that, I leave the Album field blank. After looking through some other forums, I think I have figured out the problem if any one has a similar issue. On some of the newer software, if you have an artist that only has one album, the ipod will just skip over the intermediate screen between artist and album and go straight to songs. It's supposed to be a convenient feature, but if you have random songs of a certain artist that are unsorted, it does not display them.

This isn't a problem if the artist you are browsing has more than one album because then it will display the ALL feature. But, if you only have one album, you can't just leave the album field blank. You have to put some sort of title on the singles, I just use "-" instead of album names because I don't want the clutter. Then, the Ipod will display the ALL feature and you can now play your singles along with your album.

If this is too confusing, let me know and I'll try and clarify it.
You'd be much better off, IMO, to put the Title of the song into the Album field. I do that for any stray tracks I have, and it will only help to future-proof your library. Try it to see if it works for ya!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Is there any easy way to do a mass bitrate reduction on my iTunes music library? I'd save over half my collection is over 192 kbps, and I just don't need it any higher than that to be honest... I'm estimating that I could lower my music library's size by 25% if I could get the bitrate lower.

I know how to do it with Adobe Audition or something similar, but that's a lot of tracks to do manually. I'd also love to keep the tag information too, basically a batch compress and replace so I don't have to readd stuff to iTunes or lose my playcounts.

Any ideas?
Hard drive space is cheap, I wouldn't bother.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I have my music collection on my PC, and I want my itunes on my Mac to access those files. This is possible, except for one issue; Itunes wants to copy everything over from the PC to the Mac, I don't want it to do this. I want it to stream the music over the wifi network. Is there way to set this up? Failing that, is there a better 3rd party mp3 player app that will do this?

[edit]
Figured it out on my own, there is an option to share files over the network. I like how it reminds you that sharing files over a network is for personal use only. :v:
That, and turn "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library" off on the Mac.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SMP posted:

Is there a good way to convert a bunch of video files to the ipod touch format? Handbrake seemed to be the perfect option...but I can't add more then one file at a time.
Use the "Add To Queue" button, then run the queue.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

Not gonna lie, I am a little perturbed by how difficult apple makes it for you to copy items from your own media player. I love my ipod but I'm going to definitely look at other, more open players when I replace it. It shouldn't be this hard, and it sure as poo poo should be a native feature of itunes if they don't let me explore the device ala disk mode like on my old ipod 3g.
It goes for every portable device ever, not just the iPod: your portable easily stolen/broken/damaged media player should NEVER be the only copy of the media on it. That's just asking for trouble.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Abel Wingnut posted:

Has anyone had trouble with Fluke, the FLAC enabler for iTunes, as of late? I installed it, restarted iTunes, and iTunes still won't recognize FLAC files. There's next to zero support for it as well.

Any ideas?

Also, are there any other ways to play FLAC files with iTunes?
I convert all my FLACs to ALAC (Apple Lossless) using XLD since it just makes it easier to have everything be iTunes-compatible from the get go.

However, that's not what you asked. Are you using the set-OggS on the FLAC files to set the filetype first?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

chomper posted:

A small issue is bugging the gently caress out of me. It's kinda OCD, I know, but there must be some way to fix it.

Awhile ago I added an artist to my iPhone, and one of the songs' ID3 tag had the artists name in all lowercase ("big moe"). The rest were all uppercase, but for some reason the iPhone shows the lowercase in the artist list.

I've tried deleting the artist off my iPhone and re-syncing. I've tried manually changing ALL the ID3 tags for this artist in my iTunes library to the correct case. I don't know what else I could do… any suggestions?
Get an external tag editor and make sure none of your files have ID3 1.x tags. Having both fucks things up in a big way.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think my favourite feature of iTunes 11 is the way it'll peg a core to 100% while in the background, either doing something simple like streaming a radio station or doing NOTHING AT ALL.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The weird thing is it'll stop immediately as soon as I make the main iTunes window active. So I know the cure but not the cause.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Other favorite iTunes 11 bug: the LCD display part with the song title and scrubber will just go blank at random times. GG Tim.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Does iTunes store whether or not you've "loved" a track as an ID3 tag or in the library file?

Library file.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, like a lot of things, it's optional metadata that doesn't apply outside the application itself.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

When I maintained an MP3 collection I used Mp3tag to do all of my tagging (and embedding of high-res artwork) before iTunes ever touched the files. Editing metadata in iTunes is still a nightmare because after over a decade they still haven't fixed the thing where it will randomly split albums up into two entries if you mass edit the album artist tags.

If you remove the album from the library and re-add it, it will display ok.

Also iTunes Match uses acoustic fingerprinting not tags to match, but yeah always fix your tags before running Match anyway.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah fair point. I just always make sure I have backups of anything I wash through Match.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had to use 12 to backup my old phone/activate my new one, and holy balls does the interface make no goddamn sense.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh why is the sort order a-z then 0-9?

Because more things are named with letters than numbers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Yes and yes. And just for funsies, I tried unchecking 'Compilation' on a single track in an album; for an album under the 'Compilation' heading it will pull the entire album out into the main list and for an album already in the main list it does nothing. In either case the whole album is displayed together even though the individual track gets moved to its own directory. :psyduck:

Check for the Album Artist tag as well, or the sort by section.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wulfolme posted:

Apparently this problem is old: I load my phone with songs by dragging and dropping them from folders on my PC. Once on the phone, every song believes it is part of a unique 1-song album, and some artists don't even appear at all in the artist listing.

Will using the autofill from folder function fix this or do I have to get even more complicated?

also just an aside anyone that attains the 'top rank' on the apple community forums should be culled by a government agency

Check your id tags?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It happens. Like I had the two solo albums from Marian Gold matched, but when I listened to them a couple tracks were corrupted. A second attempt at matching failed because they were no longer available on iTunes anymore.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Try uploading it manually to https://imgur.com/upload and going from there.

If you try to do it within the Awful app, it'll try to use the Imgur API, which has limits and can time out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Does anyone manually manage song data like Genres? With Apple Music, I have a poo poo ton more songs now and browsing is becoming difficult because everything is so spread out. I don’t need five different sub genres of Raggae listed, and I don’t need an artist to have music in several genres if it’s all the same god damned stuff.

I used to manage stuff like this to keep everything easily browsable, but quit when I went streaming because I figured Apple would gently caress it somehow and do things like overwrite my changes or something over time.
Yes. I don't do streaming so all my stuff is tagged manually to a very minimal set of genres. Works fine. Apple hasn't overwritten anything, and I'll retag stuff I buy in iTunes to what I want.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is the company that sent out an iTunes update that would erase your hard drive if it had a space in the name. You know, the company that names your boot disk "Macintosh HD" by default.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I needed a way to get a report of some sort on the cover art size of all my music. After a whole lot of useless Google search results and a few tries of CLI shenanigans that didn't go anywhere, I stumbled upon the Mac port of mp3tag https://mp3tag.app and a post on its support forums from 2018 asking for that exact feature on the then Windows only version.

Did the trick for that one specific thing I needed, so I'm gonna try using it as a replacement for the rather long in the tooth but still usable MediaRage.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ugh I think I found an incredibly annoying itunes bug, but it may just happen to be my drive setup. Normally if you have it set to manage your library and you add what could be duplicates, it'll add them to the library based on the tags, and in the folder where the files are it'll add eg " 1" before the file extension on the duplicate files.

I tried adding a bunch of new songs of higher quality but same file extension to my library yesterday, and that didn't happen! The new songs showed in the Library view, but in the folded on the drives there were no renamed dupes.

May be because I'm using a JBOD for the library? I dunno, in all the years I've been using iTunes I've never seen it just drop new dupes, it always renames them to keep both files in the folders.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm not keeping them, but in some cases albums have different song lists depending on the release. Or I might have a compilation that has the same version as the album, but I might want to keep that one if my album is of lesser quality, etc.

What was happening is some of the tracks were vanishing on disk, but the iTunes library showed both, with the two entries in iTunes pointing to the same file. So as I'm thinking that I'm deleting the lesser quality version from the library, it was in fact removing the newer, better one instead. With the previous version magically gone without any indication.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's easier to see now that I'm back at the computer and can do some screenshots.

Regular CD version of the album, in iTunes and Finder:

After copying the hi-res version to the "Automatically add to iTunes folder": all the conflicting items are replaced with the newer ones in Finder, but iTunes still shows both

Normally conflicting items would be renamed with " 1" before the extension. Now it just wipes them out.

Selecting what i think I think is the CD quality version of a track and selecting "Move to Trash"

deletes the newer hi-res file instead, because both entries point to the newer file only.

Forcing itunes to update itself by playing through the tracks, it's now showing dupes of the newer versions:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Anyway here's what happens on El Capitan on my old laptop with iTunes 12.8.something, which is what I'd normally expect:

LIbrary shows dupes fine:

Renamed dupes showing in the Finder fine:

That is what's supposed to happen. I retagged two of the files since I've seen they're different mixes, but in my previous example I wouldn't have been able to compare their lengths because the old ones got wiped out before I could do anything.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

I may be misunderstanding, but could you change the Sort Album metadata before importing, to force iTunes to maintain two separate albums in your library?

Or of course you could just straight up change the displayed album title for one of them, but based on the hoops you've been jumping through I assume you don't want to do that.
Yeah for now, now that I know about this bug, I'm putting "NEW" or whatever in the Album tag so that on the filesystem it'll be put into a separate folder, avoiding any collisions. Then I'll just do my usual weeding out from there.

Looks like i"m not the only one who found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252655823

quote:

1.4 - Issue not found
12.1 - Issue not found
12.5.1.21 - Issue not found
12.7.0.166 - Issue not found
12.8.3.1 - Issue not found

12.9.5 - Issue occurs
12.9.5.5 - Issue occurs
Guess it's a 12.9 thing, which was the version included with Mojave. I'm sure this won't ever be fixed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Interesting update: if the newly added songs aren't named the same as the original ones in the iTunes library, it'll rename the new ones with the "space & number" before the extension to not collide with the originals.

First try, I added "Sisters " to the filename ahead of the track number and dropped them on "Add Automatically to iTunes", then tried again with just putting a dash between the track number at title. No silent deletes:

So I think i'll update my renaming recipe to put a dash after the track number, and shouldn't have any collisions! :)

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Radirot posted:

i hate itunes match.. or music match or whatever its called. some songs don't want to be matched no matter what even if bought elsewhere like bandcamp.
Apple doesn't have everything in their library.