Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone think the new iTunes Extras feature could lead to allowing users to rip DVDs into iTunes? I know the MPAA is still against DVD ripping (unlike the music industry now) but with iTunes now offering what is essentially a digital dvd, what are the chances we'll get a rip DVD feature like we have rip CD now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It appears that Apple would need to get an exemption from the DVD Forum Association. With said exemption, Apple would be free to add an Import DVD function to iTunes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Okay, let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything. I'm going to be doing a clean install of windows 7. I want to preserve my iTunes library as much as possible (ratings, playcounts, playlists, etc). I have consolidated my iTunes library on a separate storage hard drive so when I wipe the system drive, the library remains okay.

When I get the new install up and running, I install iTunes and then shift-click to run it and choose the library on my storage drive? Will this preserve my ratings and playcounts or do I need to back up a library file along the way?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had the opposite problem when I signed up for Match this week. It matched most of my stuff (only around 4000 songs) and uploaded the obviously unmatchable stuff (comedy albums, AC/DC stuff) but what really bugged me was the little stuff that wasn't matched but should've been.

A track or two from every few albums wouldn't get matched and would get uploaded instead. I checked the iTunes store and saw it there but no dice. A little googling found that this is somewhat common but there's no surefire explanation as to why. :sigh:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had iTunes Match refuse to acknowledge I had a copy of a matched song on my computer even though it was there. :iiam:

Clarification:
1)I had my own song file matched to iTunes
2)Moved own song file out of the library, downloaded matched file to HD
3)Was fine until a reboot
4)iTunes required the original file to play the matched file which hadn't moved.

Match does really weird stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps wait until later today/tomorrow/whenever since Apple is apparently readying iTunes 11 and will have more information on it at today's iPhone 5/iPod event.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Oxford Comma posted:

What do you guys hate about iTunes?
The fact that it runs like bloated poo poo in molasses on Windows. Also, that it seizes up whenever a new device is detected or service turned on. Oh and that the store takes forever to load.

You know, minor stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jolan posted:

Then why is it so much faster in iTunes for Mac than it is in iTunes for Windows?

I hate to be that guy but: because Apple cares about the experience on the Mac and couldn't give a poo poo for Windows except to make it barely functional enough to take your money?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone unable to connect to their Libraries via Home Share? Since getting 11, I haven't been able to connect from any of my iDevices or AppleTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheState posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Airplay streaming to an Apple TV or Airport Express from iTunes after the update? I have two Airport Expresses and an Apple TV that used to work beautifully in my apartment, then I installed iTunes 11 and the sound drops very frequently?

Thwomp posted:

Anyone unable to connect to their Libraries via Home Share? Since getting 11, I haven't been able to connect from any of my iDevices or AppleTV.

Something is up with 11 but it's not universal (so far as I can tell). I can Airplay from my iPad/iPhone to my AppleTV just fine.

However, my iTunes doesn't see my AppleTV at all and my AppleTV doesn't see any of the HomeShared libraries from my iTunes since going to 11.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Something is up with 11 but it's not universal (so far as I can tell). I can Airplay from my iPad/iPhone to my AppleTV just fine.

However, my iTunes doesn't see my AppleTV at all and my AppleTV doesn't see any of the HomeShared libraries from my iTunes since going to 11.

I just appeared to find a fix for this (for anyone who is still suffering this issue). Upgrading to iTunes 11.0.1 and the newest AppleTV update didn't help.

Turn off IPv6 (in Windows search for 'View Network Connections, Properties, and uncheck the IPv6 box) in your settings and reboot. My iTunes immediately saw my AppleTV was there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DangerKat posted:

So what is the general consensus on iTunes Match? My collection isn't above 25,000 and it seems like an awesome way to get around my music being on an external tied to a laptop but are there any glaring technical challenges with it? Issues with streaming?

Match streaming has been greatly improved with iOS6. Matching songs/albums to the cloud can be a bit dicey with some artists but it's pretty great overall.

Plus, if what happened to the_lion happened to you and you have Match, you just re-download the collection.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason that video files, in iTunes format, just disappear from my computer when I move them to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder?

I know files that aren't added to the library are supposed to be in a folder there in the Auto Add folder but sometimes I move videos marked as TV shows in and they just get deleted.

Edit: I was able to add them but only when I added them one at a time and after I already moved them to the appropriate spot in the library.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 31, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It depends on if you wants a local copy of the music on his iOS device.

Home Sharing music over your wifi network is actual streaming. Doesn't iTunes Match download the file you want to play first?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cenodoxus posted:

I have a 550GB iTunes Library on Windows 7 comprised of about 30GB of music, 138GB of movies, and 382GB of TV shows. All videos are in M4V. I have one Apple TV (3rd gen) and I'm home sharing over 802.11n with excellent signal strength.

When I select a movie or TV show, I get the spinning wheel of death. It seems very intermittent - some shows load after 15-30 seconds, some take a full 5 minutes. Only after that will it prompt me to resume or play from the beginning (if applicable) and then start playing.

I've reset the Apple TV a few times now, and even tried serving the library from another computer (An XP virtual machine), but nothing has improved the wait. I would run a wired connection to the AppleTV, but they're not on the same floor. Is this par for the course with such a big library? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the long load times?

I've got a similar set up and I find that most times I encounter this, it's a router thing.

Just recently I couldn't see any ATVs on my network and just resetting the router didn't work. I had to turn the router off, cable modem off, unplug the ATVs, and then turn the modem and router back on (and allow them to establish the network again) before plugging the ATVs back in.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, iTunes in Windows works reasonably well when all you're asking of it is to play music/videos.

However, attempt to do anything more than that (host different media types on different hard drives, streaming over the network, sharing, etc) and you've got to sacrifice goats weekly to ensure everything will still work. And heaven help you if your router had a hiccup or someone dropped a sock in the same room as your cable modem.

The store experience is...tepid to say the least.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me I'm not crazy in that iTunes just won't update via the Apple Software Update (or that it's already updated but the ASU just shits the bed when trying to see its updated)?

Windows 7 for reference.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can we bitch about iCloud for Windows in here too? Because I sure liked having my Photo Stream update on my PC until the 4.0 update broke it.

My Shared Streams update fine. Old and new alike update like "magic" but my personal Photo Stream just stops updating. A few reinstalls may have knocked it back into updating but gently caress me if I can keep it going.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Sometimes I hate the Apple TV. Sometimes it works great, but for some reason sometimes I can't get any movies from my iTunes library on my iMac to stream. When I select one to play it just sits there buffering and never starts. And it if does play it plays for about 3 minutes then hangs and buffers indefinitely. I've restarted the Mac, iTunes, the router, and the Apple TV twice. Network appears to be working fine. Other Apple TV apps work fine.

The real kicker is that I end up AirPlaying the iMac's screen to the AppleTV and playing the movie in Quicktime full screen and it loving works. WHY!!?!?!?!?!?!? It seems completely random when it works and doesn't. I also can never get my iPad to load my iTunes library on my local network.

I've had this happen with my iTunes library and my Apple TVs too. I want to blame the latest software update but who knows. I do suspect maybe it's the hard drive my movies are stored on but i can't be sure.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

Is syncing over WiFi just plain broken or am I doing something wrong? iTunes will recognize my iPad mini 2 over wifi and I click on it in iTunes but when I click the sync button in itunes on my computer it tells me it's looking for the iPad then a few seconds later iTunes on my computer drops the iPad and won't see it again until I restart iTunes or restart the iPad then it just does it again. And I have the newest iOS update on my iPad and the newest iTunes on my computer.

Did you sync the two after the latest update? I know my phone flashed a quick message that I'd need to sync them via a cable again before wifi syncing could proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

You can't buy books from iTunes anymore, which really sucks - especially for Windows users.

"Stripping" stuff out is nice and all, but it's really dumb to see them push it to iOS.

Except who is really using iTunes to actually read their books? I'd love to see the actual statistic but I bet it's in the single digit percentages at most.