Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ottonomy
Jun 10, 2003

keep your junk low

sicjoke posted:

Got it sorted. Album rating can be used as a criterion in the creation of a smart playlist, resulting in playlists of full albums.

I use GimmeSomeTune’s hotkeys to rate tunes as I listen to them during the day on my computer. This in turn facilitates iTunes album rating computation, which feeds into a smartplaylist based on album rating (limited by the size of my iPhone).

Syncing this to my iPhone means that I am always carrying a dynamic list of my current favourite albums in their entirety.

Thanks to this thread for introducing me to the concept of smart playlists.

Smug mode engaged.
Okay, I didn't think of that as an additional criterion. That works well for me, although the playlist turns up quite large because I still haven't rated most of my library, so albums where I've only rated one track **** shows up. I suppose this will play well with the "Needs Rating" playlist that captures everything I listen to often but haven't rated.

My library playing statistics are weak because I had to delete my old library and re-add everything a couple months ago, so there is a lot of good music buried in there that I haven't rated or even played since redoing the library, but there's a lot of crap too... Any tips, anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ottonomy
Jun 10, 2003

keep your junk low

sicjoke posted:

If I enable Live Updating the playback of the playlist ends prematurely when ever I rate a song. What I am looking for is a quick way of forcing the playlist to update. I have looked for a hotkey, but there doesn't seem to be one. I am therefore forced to edit the criterion of the smart playlist and turn Live Updating on and then off to refresh the playlist.

Am I missing something or is a hotkey refresh simply missing from iTunes functionality?
It's still a good playlist to use on an ipod because then it just updates when it syncs. Do your rating work while you're out on the town. :)

ottonomy
Jun 10, 2003

keep your junk low
For those of you using "Needs Rating" playlists who were having songs stop playing when you rated them because they got bumped out of the playlist: you can use the itunes DJ to play songs from that playlist; then rating them won't make them stop.

ottonomy
Jun 10, 2003

keep your junk low

IUG posted:

I have a weird thing in my iTunes now. I was rating some music, and during this, my power went out. When it came back, I went right back to rating, but I noticed that the album I was listening to was taken out of my "Needs to be Rated" playlist. Curious, I looked for the album in iTunes' Library:

I was just starting "The King Of Pain" when I lost power. I guess it rated the songs based off of the average of the album. Never seen the hollow stars anywhere besides below the album artwork.
A hollow star just means you've rated the album, but not the track (show album artwork to see). iTunes infers that you would rate it the same as the album and filters it as if you had. You can still go give it a track rating. I haven't figured out how to get tracks like this to keep showing up in my Needs Rating playlist despite the album rating, so I just have been waiting to rate albums until I've done all the tracks...

(it will also guess the other way, inferring an album rating from the average track rating)

ottonomy
Jun 10, 2003

keep your junk low

Kire posted:

Is there a way to delete podcast episodes I've listened to without iTunes totally removing them from that podcast's list of episodes, making me unable to ever, ever download it again? I just want to "un-download" it, not forever delete it and block my system from recognizing its existence on the podcast server.

IUG posted:

I think when you un-subscribe, then re-subscribe, the episodes will show up again as undownloaded. There my be an easier way, but I remember this one.
Also it's important to keep in mind that podcasts often only have links to the most recent x episodes. I don't know of a better way to do this though...