Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My wife and I share an iTunes library on a single Mac via the Shared folder. It works pretty well, but I can't figure out a way to get new music I add to appear in iTunes when she logs in. The files are in their /users/shared/itunes music folders fine, but we have to manually hunt tracks out through 'Add To Library' to get iTunes to list them. Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Drag and drop mostly. I have "Keep iTunes Media folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" checked so I can download music to my desktop, quickly drag them over to iTunes and dump the downloaded files in the trash.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Choadmaster posted:

Are both accounts simultaneously accessing the iTunes library? (ie. Are you using fast user switching and leaving iTunes running in the other account?)

Don't do that.

Nope, never (my wife very rarely uses her account). I just add our music to my iTunes and she'll occasionally sign in to add some new songs to her phone.

Just noticed today that the metadata wont update for her either - if I add a date to a previously dateless song, sign out then sign in as her, the date change wont have carried over. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if things just stayed the same (or at least were easy to update) since we're accessing the same files.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I noticed that the Column Browser had more options than before and was clicking around, turning things on and off. I turned on 'categories' and found that only 1 song was assigned one. Trying to tidy this up, I went into 'get info' and hunted around for the field. Can't find it. Am I missing something?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Mu Zeta posted:

Appears to be for podcasts? I don't think you can edit that info.

That's weird. Just noticed that you can only turn on 'categories' in the column browser in Playlist view but not Songs view. I guess it's for creating Podcast playlists or something. The media kind is definitely set to 'music' on the track in question, guess it's just messed up. Ach, who cares. For a moment, I thought I was gonna get another level of metadata that I could use for assigning countries or some other dorky sorting method - eg. Genre = Rock 'n' Roll / Groupings = Girl Groups / Categories = French.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Instead of having hundreds of albums with only 1 or 2 songs in, I collect my singles into miscellaneous albums by genre. I've found this to work pretty well at keeping everything neat and tidy. With iTunes 11, this system, on the whole, still works, but there's a couple of things that I wish I could fix:

1. (in red) In Album view, iTunes wants to sort songs by track number, which makes sense, but as I don't have track numbers (I strip away stuff like that if I only have a single song by an artist) it just seems to sort songs within an album randomly:

I'd rather sort alphabetically by song or artist - some of these 'misc' albums have 100s of songs and finding stuff in them is a pain when I can't make head nor tail of the order. Is that possible? What the hell is it doing? The sort info for all of these tracks is blank too, so it's not that.

2. (in blue) This doesn't matter so much, but when viewing the album grid, iTunes just puts a random artist from the compilation (not necessarily the first track or the first alphabetically) underneath, but when you open up the album, it'll say 'Various Artists' (and picks a random year from one of the tracks which doesn't bug me that much). Can I make it say 'Various Artists', or at least pick the artist from the first track, underneath the album titles in grid view?

To complicate things further, you can add 'Various Artists' to the 'Album Artist' field for each track to achieve this, but then it'll remove said tracks from under the artist in the Artists view - it's almost a tradeoff between Album & Artist modes as to which I want to make most sense (it seems if you only have tracks by a specific artist as part of a compilation, their name won't appear in this Artists list either):

Also, as an observation, I find it incredibly annoying that switching modes cancels your selection. If I'm in Songs and select Rock/Pop from the genre column, then flip to Albums and then back to Songs, the genre selection is gone. It's just a minor detail but it keeps messing with how I expect it to work.

Apple could never have solved everyone's problems because of how differently people manage and play their music - I'm nitpicking these silly details that mess with how I use iTunes, but the earlier discussion about the removal of iTunes DJ meant nothing to me. I don't think I ever used it once, yet to someone else it's the most important feature. And, despite writing this ridiculously matters-only-to-me post, I actually like the update :).

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
^ I've got 'part of a compilation' ticked, yeah. But as I mentioned, setting Album Artist to 'Various Artists' removes the tracks from the Artist view (as in second screenshot). It seems you can only have one or the other. I.E. - having a nice and neat 'Various Artists' under your compilations in Album view means tracks from said compilations wont be listed under their 'real' artist on the Artist view (or vice versa). So no to that one. Unless there's a way to get both, it isn't worth the tradeoff for me.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I don't find the new search laggy but I really miss the live filtering. I most often use it for checking / finding stuff in the playlist I'm listening to and even though you can still do this by typing a few letters and hitting enter, it feels a bit clunky for quick at-a-glance, 'is that artist in this list?' searches. It's a minor niggle but enough for me to uncheck Search Entire Library to get the old way back.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

decypher posted:

Also, I've been right clicking on the song, going to Get Info, clicking the second tab, then clicking the 'Part of a Compilation' checkbox, closing the window, then right clicking on the next track, etc. Is there a way to quickly switch between the previous/next track from the 'Get Info' window?

I'm not sure if you're doing something that maybe means you need to change each song individually, but you can select multiple songs and view 'get info' then 'options' to turn off compilations for them all at once. Just make sure that you deliberately pick and tick 'no' even if 'no' is already showing (because if some of the songs you've selected are set to 'yes' and some are 'no', the dropdown'll just say 'no' and wont update the 'yes' ones unless you specifically tell it to).

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm not sure if this is better asked in the OS X thread but does the new file tagging system that's coming in Mavericks work in iTunes? I have a feeling it doesn't, which is a pity because I'd use the hell out of it for smart playlists (I've been doing pretty clunky overkill stuff like adding countries to tracks using the Composer field for a while now). Play me all Scottish pop songs with a female singer from 1990 goddammit.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'd like to have the same music playing in a few rooms when I'm doing housework. Right now I can simultaneously play stuff from my iMac in the office and the Apple TV in the living room using the 'multiple' outputs dropdown thing in iTunes but can't figure out if I can also play through my iPhone connected to speakers in the kitchen. Airplay (/ bluetooth?) enabled speakers would be an answer I guess, but can I make this work with my current setup?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Something's happened to my iTunes library in the last couple of days (maybe since updating to 12.5.1.21, can't remember if the issue happened immediately or not). All my content (songs, films, playlists etc.) is still fine, but any view customisation such as column width / visibility / View As settings has been reset to default. If that was the only issue, that'd be fine but I've just discovered that my carefully organised (imported) films and TV shows have been dumped back into Home Movies and all the manually entered metadata has vanished.

I use Time Machine so I'm hoping I can just retrieve something that'll reset all this. Don't know what, though. Any advice?

EDIT: Ah, it's maybe not as bad as I thought, changing the media kind seems to restore all the series / episode number stuff that I thought was lost. Can probably just do this in bulk.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 2, 2016

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My iTunes Library recently emptied. I can't exactly remember what caused it (I *think* it moved out of the Shared folder, where I've kept it for years, to my home folder during an update) but it didn't take much to get things back on track. The one problem is that all my 'Date Added' data has reset to the same day as a result.

I've tried living with it for a week or two but I really miss being able to use Date Added for smart playlists and sorting. I have a Time Machine backup from before the reset happened but I'm unsure how to use it to get the dates back to normal - should I restore all my music files or can I do something clever an index or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

IUG posted:

You should just need the library file. Date Added/Last Played aren't stored in the mp3s themselves.

This worked. Thanks!