Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Caged posted:

You can't ever be 100% sure. I've never had iTunes delete my songs though. If your music files are all over the place then consolidating the library before upgrading might help you.

Ya i'm not sure what happened last time but I've never lost anything to an iTunes upgrade since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
This is more of an iPhone/iPad problem than iTunes but maybe someone knows how to do it...

When I signed up for iTunes Match the "Purchased" folder on my iPhone went away. I like the folder so I created a Smart Playlist on iTunes that said "Where iTunes Match Status is Purchased"

Works great on my PC. I can see all my purchased music. Doesn't work on my iPhone/iPad, it just shows me every single matched or purchased song.

Any ideas how I can create this in an alternative way?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

How about this?

Be sure to notice that "Any" rule above the playlist selections.

Actually -- I looked into it further.

This works.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Fairly certain that number syncs when you sync your iPod. I'd say like 99% certain.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Chemmy posted:

Why does iTunes Match insist on "matching" my music with edited versions?

This is really annoying.

Wow. That really is bad. I just got 99 problems and a _____ ain't one. Not acceptable.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Chemmy posted:

Conceptually it should be easy. Give me an option in Settings:

"Do you want Explicit or Clean music?"
[__] Explicit
[__] Clean

Not to nitpick but it would probably be something like
code:
Allow iTunes Match to match explicit versions of music
[ ]
Yes it shouldn't be too hard but it's annoying for those of us who have already deleted and redownloaded a majority of the music unknowingly.

edit: Though I'm not sure how it would all work. There are some songs I do not want the explicit lyrics for (and have the non-explicit versions) because I play them in spin class.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mr. Bonky posted:

So I came to this thread hoping my playlist woes would be answered using iTunes match. Apparently I'm not the only one having a problem. I just want to be able to see what I've recently added to iTunes and play it on my iPhone when I'm on the go. :(

I've noticed some smart playlists functions work and some do not. Get creative and maybe you can make it work. Maybe not...

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FLX posted:

I've got a new internal harddrive for my computer, so I can finally fit all my music on there, instead of only a selection, while the the whole lot is stored on an external drive. If I just drag the music folder on my external drive into iTunes now, will it also import the tons of duplicate files? I set iTunes to copy everything to my Media folder, so might there even be some duplicate filename problems?

1. If it's already in iTunes tell iTunes not to manage your music (if you haven't already).

2. specify your library location for iTunes and tell it to manage your music.

3. use the iTunes consolidation option and it will move all the music into your iTunes library directory

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

I realized I have a lot of music I longer want. In itunes, how do I delete the music from the hard drive?

If you've chosen to manually manage you must manually delete it.

edit: wait, you didn't manually do it? then just delete the song and it should prompt you to delete it.

fake-edit: I'm confused at what you've done.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

I want to delete songs forever. I don't just want them to not appear in the itunes library. If I press delete, it just deletes them from the library- I can still find the songs in windows explorer.

Sounds like your songs are managed manually. Meaning you have to delete them manually.

Managed songs, upon deleting, ask if you also want to remove them from your hard drive completely.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

I have the option checked to 'keep itunes media folder organized' if that's what you're talking about.

However, when I delete a podcast, it asks me if I want to move it to the recycle bin.

That's because Podcasts are managed by iTunes.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

How do I get itunes to manage my music?

Since you just migrated.... delete everything from iTunes. Make sure that option to manage for you is checked, drag it into iTunes. Specify your folder on that other hard drive but iTunes is going to make a copy of the songs and shove them in that new folder. At which point you can delete the old one.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

helium muppet posted:

It's still not working.. I checked both of the boxes 'keep organized' and 'move new items to folder' I created a new folder and specified it.

After I added the folder to iTunes, it copied all the music to the new folder.

I wanted to test it out, so I clicked 'delete' on a song, and it just removed it from the library, it didn't give me the option to put it in the recycling bin.

In the properties of the song does it show in the iTunes organized folder or in the old folder from which you dragged into iTunes?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Siets posted:

I know in the past iTunes music had DRM but you could buy DRM-free music if you paid more. I'm reading a few posts around the web now saying that all iTunes music is now DRM-free, meaning that if I buy from there I am free to create mp3 320's of everything (meaning that I can finally DJ with their stuff!) Is this true? I'm about to make a decently sized music purchase in the event that this is now the case.

It is true. Though 320 mp3s don't make a lot of sense when you're downloading 256 copies but go for it anyway if you want.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

scotty posted:

I'm a bit confused. I recently had my computer destroyed in a car accident. Now, when I try to connect to iTunes on my new MacBook, only about 1/3rd of the songs are available to download from iCloud. The rest seem to be only available through streaming. It doesn't matter if I uploaded them or if they're matched.

What gives?

Email Apple support and ask. Then post back here the answer. Because I really want to know too. I only have 2 songs though and haven't bothered to care.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

Because then the RIAA would be in a tizzy that you're using the iPod/iPhone like a hard drive that you can just drop off your music at a friend's place. Given it's the highest profile mp3 player, they locked it down as soon as they made it. They were one of the first mp3 players with significant storage, so rather they probably did it so they didn't look like a file sharing device. Portable hard drives weren't popular when iPods were introduced.

That's a bullshit/made up reason. You can drag files directly out of iTunes onto an iPod without a problem with disk storage on.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

Yeah, clearly Apple is just loving with you for no good reason and hiding the files by default because they spite you. This is the most likely reason.

No, the reason is likely because of the how the devices sync. Apple wants a seamless experience and wants your devices to all match, playcounts, smart playlists, album art, etc. Dragging and dropping songs onto the device would not allow for this and they could really give a gently caress if you wanted to do it some other way.

Apple has made strides forward in the openness of their music. It's all DRM Free now, all 256kbps, it's easy (though it always has been) to get out of iTunes. The fact that you can't just dump onto an iPod probably has very little if anything to do with recording industry.

In terms of disk mode not being on some devices. That's obviously another choice made by Apple for some reason or another as it used to exist on all their iPods and is slowly being removed. My guess is that partitioning space like that lead to corrupted devices and since it wasn't a highly used feature they just assume remove it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Polymerized Cum posted:

There seems to be a discrepancy between my music folder and what's in my iTunes - i.e. some files aren't being picked up by iTunes.

Finder says my music folder is 104 GB, while iTunes says it's only 89GB. Is there any way to reconcile the two, short of manually looking at any folder?

There is metadata and playlist information that takes up space outside of the actual music.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TraderStav posted:

That I can't get my wifes replacement iPhone to sync up with it without wiping it first.

Wouldn't you just be restoring it from a backup on the computer anyway?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thwomp posted:

I hate to be that guy but: because Apple cares about the experience on the Mac and couldn't give a poo poo for Windows except to make it barely functional enough to take your money?
I would only say that is partially true. My real guess is that they do things that have been optimized for OS X and don't want to differ the logic much when developing the windows counterpart letting them manage their builds a little easier and not have iTunes PC start behaving wildly different from the Mac version (aside from performance). It of course could be done different and the behaviors could remain consistent I'm sure but that gets into the part where I've said you're partially right. They've decided it didn't make business sense. But it's not as they are coding stuff going "ahahaha wait till these PC turds get a load of this one!"
Generally developers like to write code as good as they can make it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
iTunes store works so much better now. Hopefully iCloud/Match does now too when I go to use it. Also the Play Next is welcomed and long overdue - sad they killed iTunes DJ for that but whatever. If I had to choose which I'd rather have it's going to be Play Next since I would use that more than twice a year.

I didn't really care about most of the other changes. I generally use my iTunes in list view to create playlists before workouts. The album view is cool but not very practical in my opinion - it never really has been.

Oh love that the terrible bar to the right is gone now too and rolled into a menu option.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

dewey7788 posted:

Anyone know how to add a whole folders to your library? They seemed to have gotten rid of the 'add folder to library' option. Thanks.

Use the menu if you don't want to drag and drop.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

Okay, so not only does this not fix the bug I've had where my iPhone doesn't start syncing right away when I plug it in via USB, but now there is no more menu option to force the sync. I have to click the device and then click the sync button, taking focus away from what I'm playing.

Man I'm hoping for a drastic 11.1 soon.

I can't speak to your bug issue because I've watched this work many times but your force sync button is certainly there.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TACD posted:

So how do I add MP3 clippings into the ringtones section? All I can find online is useless (and inaccurate) guff about loving about converting files to AAC and changing the file extension and whatever, and I refuse to believe that in 2012 such arcane bullshit is require just to make my phone play stupid tinkly tones when I get a call.

Then you might never get custom ringtones. If it's an MP3 file it needs to be converted to aac (native audio format for iPhone) and the file extension changed to m4r (r as in ringtone) so iTunes knows it's a ringtone and not a song.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

beefnoodle posted:

Make sure all the tags match - comments, sort fields, dates, everything.

To be more specific the tags in info need to match AND the ones in sorting.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes, but why do I need a second player on the screen at the same time?

It's the same interface as if you clicked on the album artwork in iTunes full screen. Which would let you minimize iTunes and just display a giant artwork picture. Might be nice to have controls at that point. Is it really so hard to keep your cursor off the album artwork? Oh by the way this has always been this way.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

jink posted:

Did anyone notice the Multiple Airplay functionality?! :aaa:

Multi room playback is now possible! Wonder when this will hit iOS...

I noticed it was more prevalent than before but certainly not new. ;)

edit:
This isn't exactly what you're asking but I thought I should show you this too:

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2012

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

eiddetham posted:

So I have a question. I have been converting all my video files to M4V format so I can stream it to my apple tv. But none of the things I convert are showing up on Itunes 11.0. Even when I try to add video files that are already in .mp4 format, they are now showing up anywhere. I look in movies, including home movies, and tv shows, and I don't see them anywhere... When I try to add them they look like they are being added, but then they are nowhere to be found.

Anyone what's going on?

I see it in List view only. I think it's a bug. It's also visible on my AppleTV.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

super fart shooter posted:

Maybe people have already figured this out, but I just discovered that if you click the magnifying glass in the search bar and uncheck "search entire library" it turns off that horribly laggy search dropdown thing and behaves the way the search used to, which is a relief.

No, I hadn't noticed that. Thank you very much. All better!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Wario In Real Life posted:

The search dropdown thing is laggy?

Maybe you have a really awesome computer or a small library but when I go to use it loading all the album covers and such is clunky as poo poo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bowmore posted:

This is the worst update. I can't believe how slow this piece of poo poo runs now.

I think you're in the minority in that thinking. Every other account (myself included) finds it to be much more responsive.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thwomp posted:

Something is up with 11 but it's not universal (so far as I can tell). I can Airplay from my iPad/iPhone to my AppleTV just fine.

However, my iTunes doesn't see my AppleTV at all and my AppleTV doesn't see any of the HomeShared libraries from my iTunes since going to 11.

Yeah I don't think it's Universal. All my devices are working with iTunes 11. MacMini, Win8 machine, Apple TV, 2 AirPort Express devices.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Installing the new iTunes (11.0.1) on Windows 8 64bit was kind of a bitch. It kept telling me I didn't have permissions to a folder the installer created. I had to go out to the folder and assign full control to everyone to get it installed.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Maybe I'm dumb but it feels like the "Shuffle" functionality has been kind of buried in a menu without even a hotkey to toggle it. It's been like that since 11 came out of course and is nothing new but I've neglected to say anything for fear that I was not seeing a button somewhere.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Told you I'm loving stupid. I actually saw this for the first time right before coming to the thread. I knew it had to be easy or other people would have been bitching about it like crazy by now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Betjeman posted:

Personally I think it's loving stupid that Apple thought tooltips were no longer necessary.

Another tooltip they thought was superfluous was the one that told you what song was playing when you hovered over the icon in Windows taskbar. For some reason.

Actually I'm not stupid after all even after what you said. The icon is a piece of poo poo and disappears off the toolbar.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah, this is one of the reasons why my iPad 2 will likely be one of the last Apple products I buy. :smith:

Itunes turned into everything it stood against back in the early 2000s.

It did? You guys are pretty funny. Enjoy not buying another iPad -- because all the other out there are way better. Start clickin' with that Surface.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thwomp posted:

Match streaming has been greatly improved with iOS6. Matching songs/albums to the cloud can be a bit dicey with some artists but it's pretty great overall.
Completely disagree here. I find it to be as bad if not worse. For example, I have a song that is "downloading" and has been for 4 months now. I can't kill it, or pause it, or anything. It just sits there. It doesn't -do- anything per se but it's kind of annoying to always see one pending download sitting in my iTunes music store.

Also my playlists have a lot more trouble syncing up than they did in iOS5. I have zero confidence that anything I do on iTunes will transfer to my phone anymore.

Thwomp posted:

Plus, if what happened to the_lion happened to you and you have Match, you just re-download the collection.
True. At this point it's the only real selling feature for me. The rest of iTunes match works kind of like poo poo- it's almost more hassle than convenience.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Juche Couture posted:

I downloaded the new iOS through iTunes, it failed to update my iPhone because "an unknown error occurred", and it forced me to restore my phone. Great job!

Good story.

Any reason you didn't do OTA or attempt to ask anyone for advice before blowing away your phone and complaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I got iTunes Match, so I can cut down on the space that my music takes up on my computer, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it all off of there. I've got it copied onto a hard drive, and everything is in the cloud, but when I delete it from my computer and try to play it on iTunes, all I get is the typical "This song can't be found, Do you want to locate the original file?" About half of my hard drive is music right now (MacBook Air), and I want to get it all off so I have room for other poo poo.

Delete all the files from your iTunes but when it prompts you to also delete it from match choose no.