Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Frontalot posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with iTunes. I love it because it's pretty, is the only program guaranteed to work 100% with my iPod, etc. I hate it for almost everything else: proprietary tags, the inability to modify how it arranges your folders, how it deletes files occasionally when you allow it to organize your library for you or ignores random ID3 write commands when you don't, how slow it is, its inability to manage a library that contains more than 50 gb, etc.

That said, there were a couple tips and tricks I didn't know about there. I might have to use them now that I'm adding my 300 gb library back into iTunes for the twelfth time. gently caress.

I've never manually managed my iTunes library, and I'm all the happier for it - it's never deleted files randomly or anything like that. I don't understand why people have to manually arrange their filesystem - you lock yourself into one way of viewing your data, whereas if you let the program index your music for you, you can sort your music by any number of different criteria.

My iTunes library is 90gb, I've never had a problem with iTunes chugging on the database :confused:

Another protip - you can create folders that contain playlists, and you can create smart playlists that incorporate data from other playlists. What I like to do is create a folder of smart playlists for my most listened to genres of music, cycle out anything that has been played in the last day, then set my party shuffle to draw off that folder. Voila, now I have Jack FM but with music I actually listen to.

Bottom line - iTunes only really works well if you let it take care of managing your music, and only if your music is properly tagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU