Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chimz posted:

Or you could shed your OCDitude and let iTunes manage it. It'll do iTunes Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/DiscNum-TrackNum Name.mp3 for you. Just set your wanted music location in Advanced prefs, then do File-Library-Organize Library, and select both Consolidate and Reorganize. Make sure to enable the Keep and Copy options in Prefs-Advanced afterwards.
For clarification, setting the Keep and Copy options means your old file structure stays intact, right?

And what happens if there's no "disc number" tag?

Also, doesn't this scheme kind of make a mess of compilation albums? Like for instance "The Complete Stax-Volt Singles" is a 9-disc set with (I'm guessing) 40 different artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

beefnoodle posted:

There's a "part of a compilation" tag that keeps this all straight.
Yes, but letting iTunes organize it would create 40 separate ../Artist/.. subfolders, correct? I understand that it's better in the long run to pick one method and stick with it, but .. well, I'd have to think about that.

quote:

You can fix your tags before you import, or after.
If you fix the tag after you import it, does it change the actual file name (in the iTunes library location), or just an entry in the library database?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, great. Thanks for the info.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chemosh6969 posted:

If I understand correctly, and assuming iTunes organizes stuff without making a mess of things, it would look like (My Music --> iTunes --> Artist --> Album). It just seems like an extra step and then there's the risk of it putting some track in some random spot that's not easy to find.
You can specify the root music folder iTunes uses. Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab, top box. I'm pretty sure you can do the same with the Zune software.

That should solve most of your music problems, leaving only the fact that iTunes doesn't "watch" folders.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I heard there was something coming up where you could redownload all your previous iTunes purchases. Is this accurate? I've lost an awful lot of songs over the years and I was wondering if I had a chance of getting them back instead of buying them again?
You can do it now with an iDevice, but I'm not sure how the computer link part works.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

notMordecai posted:

I am super new to iTunes and I can't seem to figure out (or google the appropriate iTunes terms) how to have iTunes monitor the iTunes Media folder and have it automatically add items I add in there to the iTunes Library.

Is there a way to do that?
Not in iTunes.

I used to use a free utility called iTunes Library Updater. It worked a few months ago, not sure about now.

E: and I think the term you want to look for is "watch folder".

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 12, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It seems that the new iPad music app, when set to display by Artist (or Album), is the same as iTunes "grid view". I have the same problem in both:

When I tell it to display by Artist, can I get it to use the entry for Artist rather than Album Artist?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

moms pubis posted:

If it's anything like the iPhone, there's an option in the Music settings.
:doh:

Thanks. And after all the time I've spent looking through Settings this last week.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Toe Rag posted:

It's this. This is the most annoying:

Even then, wouldn't that fact there is both spectral data and a valid MP3 file format be enough?

I read somewhere (either this thread or something linked from this thread) that someone thought there is a minimum file size of either 100K or 128K. Could that be it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Avocados posted:

I saw this problem coming up a mile away but it finally happened..We have 1 computer in the house, and now 2 iPods. Is there a way to make separate libraries or something?
What wolffenstein said, but in case you don't know you don't necessarily need two libraries just because you have two devices. iTunes will automatically keep separate sync settings for each device.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FLX posted:

What am I doing wrong? If I don't change anything in iTunes (e.g. un-tick Apps, add/remove Music, etc.) I would like to keep everything the way it was on the devices.
This probably won't solve your problem completely, but on the device's Apps tab make sure that "Automatically sync new apps" is unchecked.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone know how important album metadata is for the Matching process?

Specifically, if you have a song from a compilation album, and the iTMS doesn't have that compilation but does have the song on the studio album, will it Match?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

headfake posted:

Actually you can't sync anything of kind Music via the "normal" old-fashioned sync; you can only do the Match download on the device (once you turn on Match).
Wait, what the hell?

Are you saying that you can no longer sync music playlists to your iOS device by connecting it to your computer and choosing the playlists to sync?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, but does enabling Match disable the ability to sync directly to/from your computer?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, that's good to know.

So, how would you sync a playlist that references other playlists? Can you turn Match off, manually sync, then turn Match on? Or will that undo what you did manually?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is there a known problem with Home Sharing and messed up album artwork?

I finally got my library completely tagged, with artwork embedded in every song, and it's 100% accurate in iTunes. On both my iPad and Touch in Album view it's just a complete mess. Is this a "oh, yeah, that's just how it currently is" thing?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or (I'm pretty sure this will work, but can't test it now) in iTunes set the Album Artist to something like "Various" or "Guys I Don't Want To See", and then on the iPod go to Settings - Music and turn on "Group By Album Artist".

quote:

Also, how do I find out what is taken up by other on my Ipod? It's 2.2 GB of 'other'.
If you have iCloud set up, you can mostly do it by going Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup - Manage Storage - (select device if you have multiple) - Show All Apps. The memory amounts shown for an app represents the app's data, not the actual app itself.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And unrelated to iTunes and more on the iPhone, the "Other" category bloating up for no reason pisses me off too.
No, that's iTunes. Happens on my Touch and iPad, too -- until it's synced again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cathab posted:

I'm having a weird problem and I'm not sure if it's iTunes-related or something else.
First thing I would do is, on your phone, go to Settings - Music and see if "Group by Album Artist" is on. If so, slide it off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyways, I can't find a way to bring that dialog box back when plugging in my phone - anyone know how?
Edit - Preferences - Advanced tab - click the "Reset Warnings" button.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When you enable iTunes match on your device, it will erase all the music currently on that device.

iTunes Match doesn't work with Smart Playlists that reference other playlists.

As to downloading every time, here's how it works on my iPad:

In the Music app, I'll tap the Playlists button, which shows all the playlists iCloud knows about. When I tap a playlist, the screen changes to show all the songs in that playlist. To the right of each song, there is a cloud icon. Tapping that downloads the song (and removes the cloud icon). At the bottom of the screen there is a "Download all" button, which does what it says.

The songs of the playlist now reside on my iPad. How long they'll stay there, I don't know. At least a few weeks, if I don't download any more songs. I assume it's tied to the amount of free memory somehow, but that's just a guess.

Once downloaded, there is nothing on the playlist screen that shows it's downloaded. However, in the Album view, if all songs from an album are downloaded there will be no cloud icon by the album name.

But, if you go into Settings - Music, there is a slider labelled "Show All Music". If you toggle it off, the Music app will only display music that's loaded onto your device -- except for the playlists. It'll still show all your iCloud playlists. In Song, Artist, or Album view, it'll only show what's loaded on your device.

Clear as mud?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ Match won't work with Classics.

Packard, one thing that may be confusing you is the fact that there's an iTunes library, and the iTunes media folder, and they're not the same thing. This is kind of repeating what others have said, but ...

The library is just a database of songs (and video, apps, etc., but let's keep it simple) you've told iTunes to include. iTunes won't touch these files unless, as mentioned, you explicitly edit the name/tag in iTunes. Adding files to the library can be done a few ways, but the most common is probably just by going to File -> Add Folder To Library.

The iTunes media folder is a folder that iTunes uses as a default to include in your library. In addition, *if you set it to*, iTunes will move or copy (depending on your settings) any songs you add to your library to the media folder. This action will rename the file (as mentioned, to the <disc #> <track #> <Title>.<ext> format you don't like), but won't mess with the tags.

You don't have to use the media folder at all -- in fact, I didn't from about 2004 until a few months ago. But, as the thread title suggests, you'll most likely find in the end that the benefits of letting iTunes manage things outweigh the fact that you have to live with "04 TrackName.mp3".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fordan posted:

If Packard's goal was to move songs from his iPod to his/her iTunes on a different computer in an effort to keep them synced, Match would be a better way to get the music between computers, even discounting the iOS benefits of Match.
Oh, yeah, I misread that.

Also going with the "you probably have .m3u files in those folders" for the duplication problem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Packard Goose posted:

How do I determine if I have .m3u files in my music collection? Just search for .m3u and delete them?
Yeah, either delete them or change the extension.

And after your explanation, I agree it probably would be a good idea for you to learn what iTunes Match does. There are other ways to do what you want, but Match is an easy, fairly elegant solution (provided you have Internet bandwidth available at key times).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Packard Goose posted:

How do I find them? I'm not seeing any files with .m3u.
Windows? Open explorer, go to the root folder of your music, and in the search bar enter *.m3u

Might want to search for *.pls too, like hirvox mentioned.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Packard Goose posted:

If someone would suffer this idiot question I would like to ask it! If, after I import my songs into the iTunes library, those files are copied, correct? Meaning that it took my 6GB of music and turned it into 12GB of music. This means I could delete my H:/Music folder because now all those songs have been successfully copied into my iTunes Media folder. Is this correct?
In iTunes, go to Edit - Preferences. Edit: and then the Advanced tab.

IF the folder you have listed as "iTunes media folder" is different than H:\Music AND "copy files to the iTunes media folder when adding to library" was checked before you imported, then yes it made a copy. Easy enough to check with Explorer.

Oddly, I can't recall ever hearing of iTunes failing to import songs. Are you sure they're in .mp3 or .mp4 format, and not .wma, .flac, or something like that?

Also a good free program for displaying / editing tags is MediaMonkey. Will let you do whole albums at a time, can search Amazon for info / art, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Why did you want to resize your album art? To minimize the file sizes?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

iTunes Match would be able to see that I've disconnected the external hard drive or NAS that I store all my tunes on and start streaming them over the internet when they're not available locally, right?
No. At least, it doesn't work that way if a you delete/rename a song on a local drive, which is pretty much the same situation.

You have to delete the songs from your iTunes library (make sure the 'also delete from cloud' checkbox is unchecked) to stream it, otherwise when you try to play it it'll just give you the "do you want to try to locate it" popup.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Is this some sort of bug with the new version of iTunes? When I add tracks now, I can see them in the "recently added" playlist but not in my library. This is really irritating.
How were you adding tracks?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kobayashi posted:

Am I doing something wrong?
If you mean transferring purchases to your computer when you plug the device in, then no, you're not doing anything wrong -- iTunes just does that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kobayashi posted:

If you don't mind indulging me – why? What's the point of transfering apps to my computer when everything backs up to iCloud and I can redownload everything from the App Store? I don't get it.
This is way late and others have given good answers, but another factor could be that not all iOS devices can use iCloud -- like phones before the 3GS and 1st and 2nd gen Touches.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

helium muppet posted:

If I press delete, it just deletes them from the library- I can still find the songs in windows explorer.
For future info, it sounds likely that at some point you deleted a song from the library, told it not to move it to the recycle bin, and had the "don't ask me again" box checked. You can clear that preference by going to Edit - Preferences - Advanced tab, and clicking "Reset all warnings".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What's the error number? I'm assuming it's an iTunes error box, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Master_Odin posted:

edit 2: Oh, the new way they handle genius is that you hit "Start Genius" and the songs get put into the "Up Next" menu. That'...cool I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
For "old genius", click the > in the song name field and choose Create Genius Playlist.

Also I noticed if you click the album art in the main play window (center of the top bar, it pops up a not-so-mini player.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tenterhooks, re #2, do you have both

1) Album Artist set to "Various Artists" for all songs
2) "Part of a Compilation" (under the Options tab) checked for all songs.

?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Specifically, the rule is (Album Artwork) (is false)

and you probably want to toss in a (Media Kind) (is) (Music) rule, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IUG posted:

I think I got this to work by just transplanting the whole iTunes folder from my user folder into the new computer, and then telling it where my media was.
Close. Move it over, then on the new machine's first launch of iTunes tell it which library you want to use (hold option down while you launch it, and select the library you just copied over).

Don't forget to deauthorize your old computer first, if applicable.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DarkJC posted:

I don't know how much music you have so this might not be viable, but if you have < 25000 songs have you considered subscribing to iTunes match? That way all of your iOS devices will just have access to your entire library and download as needed.
Just for info, for those wanting to do this but 25000 songs isn't enough, Amazon Cloud Drive may be an alternative. If you sign up for the $25/yr Amazon plan, you'll get 50GB of general file storage space plus room to upload up to 250,000 songs. Amazon Cloud Player app now available for the iPhone and other devices. iPad access is still through a browser and it sucks, but the iPhone app works on an iPad, though it's ugly.

quote:

Something else to consider would be to share your Mac mini's iTunes Media directory on the network and just point the copy of iTunes on your laptop to the Mac mini's iTunes Media folder.
Or just use iTunes' built-in Home Sharing to share the Mini's library with the laptop. Same result (with same downsides), as far as I know.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to remove music from my purchased history? Like I want iTunes to forget I ever purchased this song.
Kind of. You can "hide" purchases.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
iTunes on Mac. I want to move the video, and just the video, part of my library onto an external drive. I'd also like to keep the "copy files to iTunes library" option active globally. From what I've read, these are two ways to go about it:

1) Use a symlink to the new directory. But I've read that while this works fine for initial setup, it gives errors when you later add movies to your library.
2) Instead of using File - Add to Library, option-drag new movies into iTunes and it won't copy the files, but will add them to the library. Just have to remember to option-drag.

Any recommendations from people who have done it or other methods I should look at?