Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

iTunes play counts do not seem to update when iTunes Match is enable, even if I sync. Can anyone else confirm this is happening to them as well? This seems like such an obvious defect that I feel like I am missing something.

edit: if not obvious, I mean when I play something on my iPhone, the play isn't "registered" with iTunes, regardless of syncing.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mithra6 posted:

No because they are playing from separate files.

I will be surprised if this is the official rational. To an end-user it should appear to be the same file.

Also, if I delete a file from my local iTunes library, it leaves a slot for the "matched" 256K file in my library, along with a button to download it. Now, if I play that file on my iPhone, the iTunes library play count still does not update. If I download the 256k file in iTunes, and play it on my iPhone (truly the same file, since both came from iCloud), it still doesn't update the play count. I will be surprised if this isn't fixed (or changed, whatever) in the next iTunes update.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

What's more annoying, having iTunes match only one song on an album or having it match everything BUT one song on an album? :sigh:

It's this. This is the most annoying:

I am assuming it is because there is not enough spectral data for it to analyze, but track 11 looks similar and it was uploaded.

Even then, wouldn't that fact there is both spectral data and a valid MP3 file format be enough?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

Okay, I'm going off topic, but why would you want to keep a "song" that is a blip of audio for about a half a second, and then 3 seconds of silence, on your computer? You could easily delete that track and not lose the "listening experience" from not having it.

Those songs aren't too different from anything else on the album, just shorter. May as well just delete the whole album at that point. I keep it around because, 1.) I would just end up reripping it at some other point, and 2.) I love most music by the guy behind Hanatarash, and I even think this album is a little funny. I don't listen to it very often, though (you may notice the play count is 0). I ripped all my CDs at the start of the year, and this was one of them, hence it's in iTunes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I read somewhere (either this thread or something linked from this thread) that someone thought there is a minimum file size of either 100K or 128K. Could that be it?

That could be it, but the file limit would have to be between 460 KB (doesn't upload) and 471 KB (does upload). I'm going to mess around with it more later today and see if I can get it to upload. I deleted and readded it to iTunes, but I got the same result, so it wasn't just some fluke from going through my whole library at once.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

How about this?

Be sure to notice that "Any" rule above the playlist selections.

I am pretty sure "nested" playlists are not allowed on iTunes Match, but I can't find the article on Apple's site.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheState posted:

Does anyone have an app they could recommend to convert FLAC into Apple Lossless?

XLD. Good for ripping, too.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

I have a question about iTunes Match. Sorry if there's an FAQ somewhere.

I've been wondering how much control I have over what stays on my phone.

I just made a smart playlist of checked songs. Does itunes match let me sync that playlist up and maintain all of my other playlists? How do I keep songs from being automatically removed from my device?

Can I still manage everything using checks, but have access to all the other songs in my library in case I want them?

I've never used the checks in iTunes for anything, so maybe they behave differently, but in my experience, all your music is deleted from your phone, and the library is replaced with a "list" of what is in iTunes Match/iCloud. The playlist you're referring to will be on there, but I find playlists on iPhones to be pretty worthless.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

vanov posted:

To be fair, I jumped from a Dell running XP to this Mac all of two months ago; Windows 7 having that feature also softens the blow somewhat. Impotent nerd rage, you have met your match and this thread is it; thanks again everyone.

You can also have Finder display metadata columns, as well. Just right-click on the column headers and turn on which ones you want.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So has there been any talk/news about possibly making iTunes Match not poo poo and do simple like like oh I dunno update play counts so smart playlists don't completely break?

Mine had been updating the "Play" values for a couple months now, albeit very slowing (sometimes a few days after I had actually played the track). A couple weeks ago, it started updating the "Last Played" values as well, in addition to updating the play much more quickly. However, in doing so, it increments the play count by two instead of one :sigh:

I'm more annoyed with how awful playlists on iOS are. I don't understand why they can't be like they are in iTunes... a mini version of your library, displaying only the music in that playlist.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Any input on this? Going over to my dad's house tomorrow. The bold question above and the second one I've added in are the key points.

I don't understand what you're trying to do. You want to use a NAS instead of iCloud, and have no local files, but somehow still expect it to work when not on the same network as the NAS?

Why don't you add music to iTunes, let iTunes upload it to iCloud, then delete it iTunes (deleting the local copy, which the library replaces with a "pointer" to iCloud), and store a copy on the NAS? That way the files are all backed up on the NAS, and playback streams from iCloud, regardless of which network you're on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Can't you just install some scheduled backup software to do that? You could do this using launchd, bash, and rsync on a Mac (easier than it sounds), which is what I do to make a network backup of my iTunes and Photos libraries (separate from Time Machine). I think your dad is using Windows, so I am not sure exactly what software would be best, but I am sure there are several options.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

Nah, this is like my first time ever having this problem. I think it started with iOS 11. Otherwise it synced (wirelessly even!) whenever I would plug it in. I sync like twice a day (before work and after work).

My phone will randomly resync 5000+ songs, which can take an hour or more. If the resync gets interrupted, then I will have 1000s of songs missing from my iPhone. It is pretty annoying, because my iPhone is 256GB and music is only 55GB. It should never have to resync anything. As far as I can tell, if I don't have Wi-Fi sync enabled, this will happen every single time I sync my phone. iTunes also presently shows my phone having about 800 songs more than I actually have in my library, all of which seem to be leftovers from iTunes Match that will not go away. Last time I checked, it was close to 1500.

I also have some bizarre problem with iOS not displaying accurate metadata when browsing, but if I 3D touch or play a song, then it's perfectly fine. The first screenshot is an example of what happens if I interrupt a sync (songs listed, but greyed out), as well as showing every song name as "[FLAC]" for some reason, even though that is no where in the metadata.

So yeah, iTunes syncing is pretty lovely, but iTunes Match is even worse...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Whoa, thanks. That was driving me crazy, because I couldn't find FLAC anywhere in there. I didn't know about that work/movement tag. I wonder how that was ever filled out in the first place? It certainly wasn't by me, and most of this music I've ripped myself. This only started happening this year, so I am guessing Apple decided to make Grouping related to classical music, or something. I like to put the country a band is from in the Grouping tag. I guess I'll just have to make sure the Work tag is empty when I'm done.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I posted this in the macOS thread but no one cared/replied :smith:

My iTunes keeps trying to backup my iPhone to my computer. I change the setting to backup to iCloud (which is how I have had it set for several years), but every time I reconnect the phone, the setting is reverted and it backs up to the computer :confused:

I am running iOS 12.4.1, macOS 10.14.6, and iTunes 12.9.5.5.

This seems to have started after the Apple Genius reset all my iPhone settings when I had my broken screen replaced because they are the worst.

I have tried every combination of changing the setting, restart iTunes, reconnecting the iPhone that I can think of. I tried chmod -w on the backup folder but get denied, even as root.

What is most remarkable to me is my disk does not even have enough room for a backup, yet iTunes goes through the process of creating a backup, using up all my remaining disk space, only to run out and fail.

I really don't know what else I can do. Is there some setting I can change via defaults? Nothing is jumping out to me.

Apple having reset my iPhone settings also made Messages stop working on my Mac. I wonder if I just had some weird setting combinations grandfathered in from over the years and now there is some bizarro conflict causing this behavior. I see both my iTunes pref plist and my library file both update their modified timestamp when I change anything, but it keeps reverting to backup to the computer.

Please help :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I figured it out, or at least it seems to be working now. I tried deleting the iTunes plist as well as the iPod plist (which is definitely used to track/ID my iPhone), but no luck. Deleted them and relaunched in safe mode, still same problem. Deleted them, deleted my iTunes library, still. I tried it on a completely different Mac and had the same problem. I went into my iPhone settings and turned off iCloud backup, then I turned it back on in iTunes. The setting seems to stick now. Interestingly, when I enable iCloud backup via iTunes, iCloud Settings summary screen says iCloud backup is Off, but when I go into the submenu, it shows it is On. Before, it said it was On, showed it was On when I drilled down, but it must have been actually off. I suppose iCloud backup is not the default setting, but some sloppy programming made it appear to have been enabled (just as it appears disabled when it is enabled via iTunes instead of directly on the phone).

Apple sucks nowadays :sigh: