Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

IUG posted:

Anyone know what this one is talking about?

As far as I know they just set the default import settings to AAC 320 (? whatever the iTunes Plus files are).

My iTunes is actually usable again, there's a definite speed boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've got a project for work. I need to make an iTunes library for a record label and automatically keep it up to date (daily deletes/new additions). The catalog is about 400k songs. I've run a test by generating a fake library.xml pointing to 100k 1 second mp3s, took about an hour to import (no consolidation) on my old intel macbook.

What would be the best way to do the updates? I'm thinking either just regenerate the xml each night and let it import in the AM, or possibly do adds/deletes via applescript (grepping out the <location>s from the xml and comparing to a file-listing?).

The files (library + mp3s) will be stored on a NAS, likely mounted via AFP.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nemoulette posted:

I suppose this has been posted, so please point me in the right direction if this is a repeat:

My iTunes library (as in, the actual files), have a shitload of duplicates, making the library twice as large as it actually is. Is there a way to solve this? I have a 80gb iPod and an external harddrive to help. Is there a way to export all the music to my iPod (should fit), erase everything iTunes, and then import it back? Or does anyone have any other idea how to fix it?

Create an empty playlist, then go to the library and select everything, drag & drop it to the empty playlist. Then make a smart playlist where playlist is not the one you just created. The songs in that new playlist will be all the broken links. You can then delete them or fix them or whatever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I am absolutely at my wits end with iTunes Genius. No matter what I do, I can not avoid this error message:

How big is the Genius file that is generated? Maybe there's a size limit that makes it time out. Seems you've tried everything, at least I can't think of anything you haven't tried.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

IUG posted:

Someone said earlier in the thread that there was a way to get all of the valid songs in a Smart Playlist. I don't know how to test this, but maybe you can make a smart playlist, set it to something like "Bitrate is greater than 1kbps", and that would ignore all of the dead links? Then you would make a second smart playlist where all of the dead links would be in there. From that, you would just select all of the dead linked songs, hold option/alt, and press delete.

I don't know how to test this, so hopefully there's a way to get a playlist filled with only "found" songs.

It was me (I guess), but I was a little vague. This should be clear:

1. Create normal playlist "Works"
2. Go to library, select all (ctrl-A or cmd-A) and drag them to "Works"
3. Create smart playlist, with one criterion: "Playlist is not Works", title it "Broken"

"Broken" now has all songs with broken file links, and only those, "Works" has all working files and only those. If you fix links on songs later, you can update by going to "broken", selecting all, and dragging them to "works".

This works because for some reason you can only drag songs that it can find, but smart playlists still pick them up if it can't.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 7, 2009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

xlevus posted:

Before I go ahead and spend this weekend driving myself insane with XML, has anybody seen a tool that'll merge my Last.FM play counts into an iTunes library?

I've seen a Perl based Win32 specific one that seems to inject commands straight into iTunes but I'm not using Windows.

I was thinking of writing a python app that updates an exported Library.xml file, but I can't seem to see how to re-import one afterwards.

If you wanna re-import a modified iTunes Library.xml, quit itunes, move the iTunes folder somewhere (or just the library files if you have the mp3s in there), then open itunes so it starts with a fresh empty library. Then go File->Library->Import Playlist... and select the modified xml. That should regenerate the library with all the playcounts and ratings etc, but will set Date Added to now.

If it fucks up, you can quit itunes & move the library files you moved back to their spot and it'll be back to how it was before.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

newtestleper posted:

I have another question- if I'm delete some mp3's how do I det itunes to go through and remove the deleted stuff from my library?

If you've already removed them outside of iTunes, you can do the broken/works thing I posted earlier this page to get the ones that now don't have file associations and remove them.

xlevus posted:

Ok, I've written a script to parse an exported iTunes library, and attempt to import Last.FM play counts.

But I've got a bug, an iTunes bug.
Any of my tracks with artists/albums/titles longer than 30 characters don't get imported correctly.

VLC knows the track is called "There Is No Love Between Us Anymore", why does iTunes think its "There Is No Love Between Us An"?

How do the tags for that song look in the XML, are they the full string? I assume the files have the correct strings if VLC reads them.

When you import the xml, iTunes populates the library with data from the XML, and only updates it when it realizes the library is different from the file tags. Try playing one of the songs that display incorrectly in iTunes, or get info on it, does it update? If so, the XML strings are truncated for some reason, or incorrectly parsed by iTunes (maybe an encoding issue?).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Posted this in the OS X software thread before I realized there was a dedicated iTunes one.

Has anyone found a way to import last.fm track playcounts into iTunes? I can do iTunes to last.fm just fine, but not the other way. I know there is a perl script around for the Windows version of iTunes, but none for OS X which is surprising considering the functionality of applescript. I might give it a shot myself if I can figure out how to parse last.fm stuff properly.

xlevus talks about it on the previous page.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

amiches posted:

I dumped a whole bunch of songs from a shared network drive into my library yesterday, stupidly forgetting that itunes automatically analyzes each file for gapless playback, genius and album art. My network's not very fast, so this is taking forever, and locking up iTunes so as to be completely unusable. Is there any way I can take the network folder out of my library without actually opening up iTunes?

There's a little X you can hit while it's trying to analyse songs, it's in the LCD-thingie, to the right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

While I haven't tried it myself, I've seen plenty of blog posts on google about using a PC library on a mac and vice-versa. Shouldn't be a problem.

You'll want to rename iTunes Library.itl to just iTunes Library.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Is there a free and easy way of isolating my iTunes audio output (on a mac)? I basically want my music playing through my external speakers, while all my other system sounds go through my headphones. Ambrosia's WireTap Pro is working for this for now as a trial version, but it's got way more features than I'm looking for and I'm trying to find a free solution as well.

You could probably do it by simulating an AirTunes setup. Not sure if such a system exists, but if it does, you can select that in iTunes and potentially have it play to whatever output you want.

Googling a bit, maybe this will do it:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ (can reroute AirTunes to other computers/apps/a whole bunch of stuff) (25 bucks)

perhaps in combination with

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower (fakes sound in/out so you can route between apps) (free)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 11, 2009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Or you could have a common library file outside the home directories and have each user's iTunes point to that file.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sounds like corrupt tags. You could try removing the tags with an app outside of iTunes and then retagging.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Do it the other way around.

Instead of putting stuff on the iPod and trying to keep it in sync, put stuff in the playlist and have iTunes sync the list onto the iPod.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

necrobobsledder posted:

Doesn't this corrupt the iTunes library with multiple users accessing the same library at the same time? Never tried it, just curious.

Oh yeah they shouldn't access it at the same time, that would be bad (best case, they'll keep overwriting the other guy's updates, but they'll probably end up damaging the library file). I thought it was more like a family room type situation where one person logs out & another logs in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BDawg posted:

I have taken some of my DVDs and made video files for my iPod. Some of them (Firefly, British Office) are TV shows. But, all the files I made show up as "Movies."

Is there any way I can get them to list under TV Shows?

I don't do video organizing in iTunes myself, but there's a "Media Kind" field under options tab in the info that should allow you to select "TV Show" instead of "Movie", and which will make the tags under the video tab show such as "Season" and "Episode"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ziir posted:

I have two laptops, an older one, and a newer one. My entire collection of music is on my older laptop, and it’s also the laptop that I use to sync my iPhone with.

I need to transfer my entire library (songs, album art, iPhone apps, etc) over to my newer laptop so that I can sync my phone with it, and I need to keep all of the data in tact, especially ratings. Ratings are key to me and extremely important because it’s how I sync songs to my iPhone (smart playlist, all songs that are rated 3+ stars) and if these ratings go then I have to go through the excruciating pain of rerating 10+ GB of music to decide what goes on my phone.

How can I do this in the easiest way possible? I have Vista on both computers.

If you have iTunes set to manager the music in its own folder, it should be as simple as replacing the folder on the new one with the folder on the old one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ziir posted:

So I just need to copy the iTunes music folder over and that's it? I don't have to deal with the XML files or anything?

Take the entire iTunes folder, including library/xml/genius stuff.

And yeah, if iTunes has confused some file locations it could break, so don't delete anything on the old one until you've verified that everything works on the new one (you can verify file links by getting info on everything at the same time and doing some inconsequential tag work which will force itunes to access each file in its DB)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

xamphear posted:

This works on classics and probably nanos but the feature is completely missing from the iphone OS. There's a category for comps so it clearly supports the tag but there's no way to filter them out of your artists view. It's fairly annoying. With comps on my artists list goes from something like 1300 down to 400.

What the gently caress, you're right. I was just about to say that using Album Artist fixes it, but I just checked and poo poo isn't where I would expect. I guess I never noticed cause I'm always just in the Songs list.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

itunes doesnt readd songs already in there, so no reason to delete. But seriously just add individual folders or tracks as you get them. I dont understand how you have come to this situation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Do you haver a backup of the library file? If not, do this now, and before next time you change stuff around majorly. Backup both the normal file and the xml file. If something goes wrong, you can drop them in over the bad ones.

Anyway, cancel all that adding business. You can remove them by sorting by date added (don't hit "trash files").

Set the iTunes music folder location back to what it was before (did it point to a different folder?).

Try adding a single song from your itunes music folder. Is it duplicated? If so, remove it and try setting the music folder location to the folder that contains the songs.

If that doesn't work either, and you don't have some fancy homebrew folder structure, set an entirely new location and choose "consolidate library", that'll move the files and set the pointers correctly.

Finally, if you don't care about "date added", you can modify the paths in your xml file with a regex or whatever, to make them point correctly, then move your itunes library out of the way, restart itunes, select "File > Add to Library" and select the modified xml. All library information except date added will be as spelled out in the xml.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 17, 2009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ziploc posted:

Thanks for the tips. Windows7 Has a bunch of backups of my Music folder from this week so I'm currently reverting to yesterdays version of that folder.

I'm not sure what it was before. Will reverting to old versions of the XML files change the iTunes settings back to normal? Or will I have to use trial and error to find the right location? I have a good idea as to where it was pointed though.

The XML isn't used directly by iTunes unless you excplicitly add it. It's there for third party apps to read and as an extra backup in case the binary library gets corrupted.

The binary lib has the itunes location in it though, I'm pretty sure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rakshas posted:

I've been manually managing contents between itunes and my iphone for a while, but since i've started using ratings more, I think it would be nice to have a playlist that is always on my iphone with the top rated tracks. So how do you guys do this?

I'm thinking i'll create a playlist that I'll drag songs that I want to show up on my iphone? Is that the best way or is there a better solution.

Sounds like what you want to do is have a combo of the high-rateed playlist and whatever you fancy aside from that?

If you do auto syncin with your ipod it's bascically whatever you put in the playlists. Which basically means, make two or more playliststs. One's auto and has like "Played in the last month" and "raiting is 4 or more stars" or whatever. 3 more playlists: my favorite rock songs, also my jazzy songs, and finally a lil folk.

set the ipod to auto-sync. Then select the 3-4 playlists that do it for you. Now, if you find a song you want on there, you make it appear on oine of those playlists (increase rating/drag-drop/etfc).

Anything that lands on these playlists will go on your ipod

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Terpfen posted:

I just recently got the bright idea of installing iTunes on the other PCs in my house and setting up library sharing between my MacBook and the two PCs. It works wonderfully, but I have two questions about how the library is represented on the other computers.

1: Is there a way to edit track/album ratings on the other computers during sharing sessions?

2: I use Sort tags quite frequently, specifically Sort Album tags. When I share my library, those Sort Album tags don't seem to carry over by default: if I play a song with a Sort Album tag, the track suddenly warps to a different spot in the library, isolating it from the rest of its similarly-tagged brethren, meaning I have to manually go through and play every single track to get the Sort Album tags registered on the other computers. Is there a way to automate or skip this process entirely and just have the Sort Album tags obeyed by default on the other computers?

1. No, library sharing is read-only. If you really have to you could jump through hoops such as screen sharing etc but that's a pain in the rear end.

2. That seems like a bug, you should probably report that to Apple. Doesn't sound like the sharing protocol transmits the sort tags as it should.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^^ That looks like it should work. Does it work without the Video Kind qualifiers? Try selecting Audio Kind is [whatever the normal is, I'm not near iTunes] instead ^^^

canyonero posted:

Is there a way to build a Smart Playlist to show my recently rated (or specifically, recently 5 star'd) tracks? "Date Modified" seems to be really inconsistent in what causes the date to update.

Afraid not. What you're doing is the closet approximation (rating is 5 stars, last modified is in the last whatever).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grayham posted:

Nope, they definitely do.

If you didn't know, a skip count isn't recorded as a skip unless you change to the next track in first 2-20 seconds of a track. I wish it went further, like say, 45 seconds. :raise:

I think I read somewhere that they only collect the delta since last sync?

I don't believe the counts get synced if it's on manual though. At least not back when I used manual syncing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Actually the more I think about it the more I'm sure it's delta. If I have a song with a playcount of 10 in my library and sync it to the ipod, then play it on there 4 times, but then I go home and play it once in iTunes before syncing, it'll end up with a playcount of 15. At least that's how I recall. I'll have to test that when I get home.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

iTunes is being weird.

I updated some apps on my Touch while connected wirelessly at work.

Now when I synched today, it said that my computer wasn't authorized, so I put in my password, then it said it was already authorized. Okay fine, then when synch finished, it said that some apps could not be transferred to the computer because it was not authorized for them?!

I only have one iTunes Store account that I use for all the transactions. Or could it be that Apple's authentication servers are a bit hammered due to the iPhone launch at least in Denmark?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

vas0line posted:

I have about a thousand songs on a massive playlist I want to export to a folder on an external drive. The problem is, when I drag them out of iTunes directly, it copies the individual tracks and does not preserve files.

Is there a way to export individual tracks from iTunes, while preserving folder structure? Alternatively, is there a script or some freeware that will rebuild the folder structure of a bunch of .mp3s based on their id3 tags?

If it were 200 tracks, I'd do it manually no problem, but it's 1,000 files. :(

Thanks!

There are a lot of apps that'll build a folder structure based on id3 tags. If you're on a mac, these work:

http://apps.three-2-one.com/apps.php
http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/ProductPages/MediaRage.html
http://autotagx.blogspot.com/

There are more but one of them should probably do the trick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

IUG posted:

I can't find something like this on Doug's Scripts, but is there a script he's made (or anyone) that will play the oldest song last played in a playlist? I have a "Not-A-Week" playlist, but when I start playing from that playlist, I want the first song to be the song I haven't heard in the most amount of time, then have it go into random play like it's set to. I just don't want to have to sort the playlist by last played, and then pick the top one, and then sort it back the way it was every time.

You could keep the playlist sorted by last played ascending, then choose that playlist in party shuffle, and when you wanna hear music, go into the playlist and select the top song to "play now in party shuffle". It's a hassle, but itll give you the song most unrecent followed by a random sampling from that list.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If you insist on manual organization, just don't add anything to iTunes that isn't in your music folder (the one from the prefs) already.

I dump new encodes in my music folder, then add them to iTunes from there by drag & drop. Worked without a hitch so far. Also I can move them around as long as they stay in that folder or a subfolder of it, it seems.

I've been thinking about switching to auto but I have a whole bunch of discography text files and special structures (like an archive.org folder and whatnot) that would get killed if I did.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ElBob posted:

Glad it works! I'm trying to think of a way to make it a bit (read: "way") more efficient, since it does have some issues with longer playlists.

Not sure that AppleScript can get/set the sort order of a playlist, but I'm thinking something like setting it to sort by date, get track 1, then reset the sort order to the previous state (kept in a variable), then play the track?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dexter6 posted:

I tried Googling it and couldn't find an exact answer. I did read that fast user switching (or whatever the Mac counterpart is) still only allows one copy of an application open at one time. This leads me to believe she and I will still only have one iTunes library file, etc.

If you'll have mulitple users logged in and using iTunes at the same time, you need separate libraries for each user, otherwise the library will get corrupted.

If you'll be logging in/out, you can set iTunes to use a non-standard location (such as an external drive) in the preferences, and use the same library for each account. Then move the iTunes folder from ~/Music and make each user's folder a link to that moved folder. You might need to gently caress around with permissions too.

Edit: I misunderstood. By default each user has their own library unless you change something in the options.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dexter6 posted:

OK, just so I understand.

Create two separate OS User Accounts and by default, we'll each have our own "iTunes"?

Yes

Jigsaw posted:

I recently just upgraded to a new computer, and as I keep my music organized myself, I had to manually re-add all my music to iTunes. This isn't a problem, except for the fact that I like to keep a "Never Listened" playlist. Since I just had to re-add everything, the playlist now consists of my entire library. Is there any way to manually and quickly add to the playcount of multiple files at once, beyond just playing and skipping them? Having the previous playcount isn't really as important as just making it 1 so that they're off the list.

If you're on a mac use something like this: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=addorsubtractplaycount

Or you could make a playlist containing the ones you want to increment, turn off shuffle & repeat and set it to play silently overnight or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You'll need multiple instances of iTunes to have different songs in different rooms at the same time.

In theory you could maybe have a user for each room and a separate instance of iTunes per user (duplicate them maybe?) but I don't know how the hell you'd sort them out to have different outputs. Also seems like a ridiculous amount of overhead and most likely it's impossible without major hoops.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jimmyel posted:

A tag-related question: I recently got an iPod classic, which my entire iTunes library fits into. Great! After moving my entire library to it, however, an issue popped up, one which hasn't really caught my attention when using iPods with lower capacities. As an avid listener of the "Hip-Hop," I have a ton of songs with featured artists. Quite often, the featured artists have been added to the Artist tag, which makes scrolling a bit of a pain when sorting by the Artist tag. I've started moving the feature information from Artist to Name, but it's a huge effort. Does any tagging software do this for me? I normally use Tune Instructor, but it seems to be no help here.

First off, I don't think you should move it, just set the Album Artist on the album to whatever the primary artist is (it'll preserve track specific artists + place the album correctly in a sort-by-artist view). That said, there's a bunch of re-taggers that can move those things around, I'm pretty sure Media Rage (Mac) or Tag&Rename (PC) do it.

Orchids! posted:

So I'm curious if there is a way to give a file two different genres independent of each other so that if you show each genre separately the song appears in them, but it only appears in those two genres and not a separate genre of it's own. An example of this would be wanting a certain album or song to appear under both Jazz and Experimental genres, but not under some JazzExperimental genre which only contains that album or song.

I don't know a whole lot about iTunes but I do listen to a wide variety of music including a few groups where a feature like this would be useful, but I don't know if it's practical to expect it of iTunes. :shobon: Any insight?

Not in iTunes, sorry. You can approximate it with smart playlists (genre contains "rock", genre contains "pop", etc), but the standard genre browser won't let you do it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

IUG posted:

Yup, just insert the CDs and hit encode. Just make sure the artist, album, and track name/numbers all match, and it will automatically replace while keeping the ratings, comments, and playcount. This works with anything. If you have any one of those wrong, then it will make new copies of the mp3s on your computer. If you have it right, it will ask you to replace the originals (this is what you want).

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the old ones and naming the new ones the exact same filename/path, then launching iTunes. It should think the new ones are the old ones.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

IUG posted:

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the NEW ones. Don't delete the ones with the info you want to keep.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear, not from the library, the actual files. If you replace a file with a new one in the file system, iTunes will pick that one up instead.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lamech posted:

yeah yeah I know, it's just :( They were ALMOST there..

What's the specific issue? Most torrent apps can move stuff upon completion, you can have folder actions drop stuff in the watched folder, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Personally I wouldn't watch any folders and I probably won't use the watch folder when I upgrade to iTunes 9. I'm just trying to offer some solutions.