Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I am a recent iTunes adopter, having switched fully to Mac from Windows in the last month or so. I am loving it so far but have a dumb question regarding the management of movies using iTunes.

As an iPhone owner from time to time I convert my movies from full size into something more reasonable for the iPhone, putting them into iTunes so I can get them onto the phone. The only problem in doing so is that I now have two versions of the same movie, one full size, the other the smaller format, sat in the movies section of iTunes. It looks stupid and I want to be able to separate them out somehow, so the smaller versions exist in a different place within iTunes (and conversely in FrontRow when I am hooked up to the TV).

The same problem exists for TV Shows to a lesser extent. It seems like there should be another section called iPhone Video where I can dump all this stuff. Is there anything thing that I can do? Sorry for being thick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I am a relatively new iPhone/iTunes user with around 100GB of media in my library who is trying (and failing) to be smart in the way that it is managed.

Specifically I seem to have a real problem in deciding if I should manually manage the transfer of stuff onto my phone or let iTunes do a sync. I bounce between the two options but neither seem to fully fulfill my requirements and I can only surmise that I must be doing something wrong.

When I setup the phone so that I can “Manually manage music and video” it only appears to be a single direction operation. Getting stuff onto the phone is simple, removing specific items afterwards appears impossible and I always end up erasing the entire contents of the phone. This is frankly bollocks!

To resolve this, I set up a sync by marking the entire library “Unchecked”, setting iTunes to only sync stuff that was checked and then checking the albums that I wanted to copy over to the phone. (I have a habit of listening to albums from beginning to end in their entirety).

This worked out really well until I started loving about with smart playlists to listen directly from my MacBook at work. Whilst the playlist I generated produced the results I expected, because some of the tracks that get included in them were not checked they don’t play continuously, stopping at the unchecked tracks.

This leaves me with a conflict. Manually putting stuff on my iPhone means I cannot remove it, syncing checked items out of the library means I can but am unable to use smart playlists on my computer. What the gently caress I am doing wrong (and I concede that it must be me rather than iTunes!)?

I am really digging iTunes and if I was playing media exclusively from my MacBook I recognize how powerful a music management app it is. I just can’t seem to get my head around how I manage my media across my iPhone whilst retaining the functionality on the MacBook. Apologies in advance for be a complete fuckwit.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
Got it sorted. Album rating can be used as a criterion in the creation of a smart playlist, resulting in playlists of full albums.

I use GimmeSomeTune’s hotkeys to rate tunes as I listen to them during the day on my computer. This in turn facilitates iTunes album rating computation, which feeds into a smartplaylist based on album rating (limited by the size of my iPhone).

Syncing this to my iPhone means that I am always carrying a dynamic list of my current favourite albums in their entirety.

Thanks to this thread for introducing me to the concept of smart playlists.

Smug mode engaged.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005

ottonomy posted:

Okay, I didn't think of that as an additional criterion. That works well for me, although the playlist turns up quite large because I still haven't rated most of my library

Like you, most of my library is unrated meaning that iTunes computes high album ratings based on single track ratings. I am managing the size of the resulting playlist based on the capacity of my iPhone at the moment, but am on a massive mission to rate my entire library by listening to my "unrated music" playlist as I work and using GimmeSomeTune hot keys to rate accordingly.

Its going to take some time because I have a fairly sizable library, but the process seems to be working out already and is only going to get better with time.

I figure that once I have rated everything I can tweak my "Top Rated Albums" playlist to include play count. However I have already decided that I need to continually re-rate my music as my tastes shift so that the playlist syncing onto my phone stays fresh.

Hitting rating hot keys has already become second nature as I work with iTunes playing in the background so it's really no big deal for me. (in fact I am doing this right now.... White Russian Galaxy, The Crimea... that's a ctrl-shift-3 right there!)

Another thing I am also doing is adding the word "Exercise" to the grouping field on a tune that I think is suitable for working out to. Another smart playlist that syncs to my phone comprised out of tracks from my top rated albums with "Exercise" in the grouping field gives me a playlist to work out to. Again, if I had not have read this thread and got my poo poo together with smart playlist I would still be listening to a bunch of unsuitable random tracks whilst at the gym.

sicjoke fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 23, 2009

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
Silly little question regarding Smart Playlists in iTunes.

I have a playlist that pulls all the unrated music out of my library with the following settings...

Simple stuff, however, as a I listen and rate, because Live Updating is disabled the playlist slowly collects rated music.

If I enable Live Updating the playback of the playlist ends prematurely when ever I rate a song. What I am looking for is a quick way of forcing the playlist to update. I have looked for a hotkey, but there doesn't seem to be one. I am therefore forced to edit the criterion of the smart playlist and turn Live Updating on and then off to refresh the playlist.

Am I missing something or is a hotkey refresh simply missing from iTunes functionality?

Also. Holy poo poo I just found out by accident that the little microphone button on the iPhone earbuds can stop and start iTunes playback when plugged into a MacBook. discovered by biting the little plastic nub whilst listening. Amazing!

sicjoke fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 24, 2009