Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I got a GOD drat question

Why the hell does it take so many loving steps to burn a goddamn CD in iTunes? Every other media organizer I've used has allowed me to either select the songs, right-click, and select Burn CD, or select the songs, right-click, add them to the burn queue, and then burn the CD.

Not iTunes! I have to add the songs to a playlist, then open up that playlist, then burn the CD from that playlist! And I can't just right-click on the songs and tell iTunes to create a new playlist from my selection: I have to create a new playlist separately, then add the songs to the playlist, then open the playlist, THEN burn the CD!

JESUS H. gently caress WHO DESIGNED THIS loving poo poo

Also, is there a way to make iTunes automatically update its library so I don't have to delete and re-add songs whose tags I updated with a program that actually does it properly? THIS INCLUDES alerting me to any songs it can no longer find and giving me the option to either locate them or remove them from the library!

Weedle fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

chimz posted:

File->New Playlist From Selection

why isn't that in the right-click menu :eng99:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Silvah posted:

May I suggest that you use MediaMonkey? It's about 9328593258321751398 times better than iTunes, really fast, and easy to use. It also has features to answer all the gripes you have.

Heh, I already do. It's hands-down the best music organizer I've ever used. I'm more bewildered than anything else that iTunes has been around for close to eight years and still sucks this much.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TangyRaptor posted:

Select the songs that you updated with Media Monkey or whatever, right click, go to Get Info, leave all check boxes unchecked and click ok. It should rescan the ID3 tags of those files.

That's the thing. I shouldn't have to manually tell it to update tags. The Zune software was really good about this; whenever metadata was changed, it would pick up on it automatically and update its database accordingly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Or:

• Select songs
  • Press Ctrl-Shift-N (on Windows)
  • Hit Burn Disc! :)

Thanks for this

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just reinstalled Windows and re-added all of my music to iTunes. For some reason, it completely ignores the metadata for about a third of the files, sticking them all in Unknown Artist - Unknown Album. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to which files it ignores, as they were all ripped in the same way over the span of a few months. Deleting and re-importing them doesn't help. The metadata is intact, as Windows is able to read it just fine. How can I force iTunes to pick up on the embedded metadata so I don't have to manually retag everything?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xamphear posted:

I'm no iTunes fan, but I find it hard to believe that simply syncing some mp3s to your iPod would cause them to be deleted. That'd be one huge bug.

It's not like it's an undocumented issue.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How do I sort a smart playlist by song title, artist, etc.?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When I maintained an MP3 collection I used Mp3tag to do all of my tagging (and embedding of high-res artwork) before iTunes ever touched the files. Editing metadata in iTunes is still a nightmare because after over a decade they still haven't fixed the thing where it will randomly split albums up into two entries if you mass edit the album artist tags. iCloud Music Library also doesn't sync changes made to the casing of metadata (as in upper- or lower-case), if that's the kind of thing that bothers you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RME posted:

you know im usually pretty tolerant of the itunes changes
but itunes changed and i hate it

You mean you don't care for several inches of wasted blank space on one side of your window?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sounds like people have different settings than me. So just wondering, on my (OS X) iTunes, the only immediately apparent thing that's changed is they consolidated the "My Music" and "Playlists" tabs into just "My Music", and they took the Song/Artist/Album dropdown from near the upper right corner and made it a tree in the sidebar. Something else different?

That's pretty much it. Instead of the album/artist/song view picker staying out of the way when you don't need it and only taking up as much space as it needs to when you do, it's now in the sidebar which takes up a ton of vertical space and, unless you have a shitload of playlists, wastes most of it. Sort order settings are stuck back in top menus and dialog boxes when they used to be easily accessible with the rest of the view options. It feels like whoever is in charge of iTunes' interface doesn't really know what they're doing and just moves stuff around at random every so often.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uh is Recently Added gone????

It's in the Artists/Albums/Songs section of the sidebar. If you don't see it, right-click one of the other view options and select Edit List.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gunder posted:

Is there a way to hide the menu bar on the windows version of the new iTunes?

Does Ctrl+B still work?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wish I knew why Apple is so averse to allowing users to toggle interface settings like that. Tuck it away in an Advanced dialog somewhere if they're afraid of Joe Random freaking out over too many options. Let the user with a bunch of playlists use the sidebar and let the user who prefers to minimize empty space use the drop-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Loblaw posted:

My friend is going through a split with her husband. Between years of new computers and not retiring accounts and him taking their last laptop AND they shared an ITunes account, this has left her with a problem.

She has her iPhone with her music that she had from the joint iTunes account, but she cannot transfer it back to the joint account on a new laptop because the password was changed, and honestly she doesn't want to continue with a shared account with him.

The only way I'm seeing for her to move it is to create a new iTunes account (which I did with her) and then pay $20 or something for one of a dozen or so pieces of software available for transferring music. Of course if she tries to sync via a standard iTunes method it will delete the music off of her phone and leave her with nothing anywhere.

I've searched high and low, are there are reasonable options for her to be able to do this without spending the money or will that even work?

iFunBox will do this for free, apparently, although I've heard enough shady poo poo about it that if I were in her position I'd just pay the $19 for Senuti. It's a pretty minimal expense compared to all the other crap she's going to have to deal with in the process of a legal separation.