Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both myself and my housemate have pretty big libraries (albeit with some overlap) running on our respective machines and also iTunes running on the HTPC in the lounge. As most of our friends also own iPhones, I thought it'd be pretty neat to give Remote access for all the music in the house to them.

So far the best method I've found is:

Add the libraries from each machine as a share to the HTPC
Add the iPhones Remote IDs as controllers
On Remote go to 'More' then 'Shared', pick a library then choose 'Artists' from the bottom menu

This works pretty well if you know which library you want to attach to, but any guests to the house won't know what's where.

Anyone know of a way to unify the library on the remote view? We can't use a joint Apple ID as we both need our individual logins, and I have Match running which I'm sure would confuse matters to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it always the case that if you hit play with nothing in the Up Next list, it'd just autopopulate it with random songs? Quite neat when things go silent but I can't be bothered to specifically choose something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Argh, I'm sure that the early v12 of iTunes made the minimum width go up as I've had to do a fair chunk of desktop rearranging to make it all work again (27" iMac and I like having Safari, Messages, iTunes etc all on my screen at once in a grid). All is good, now the new version has changed again... minimum width has gone down, but minimum width to display the volume control has gone up. Bah! Might have to do some prodding to see if I can remove the (to me) useless AirPlay icon and put the volume slider back there.

(Optical out means I can't use hotkeys to change system vol up/down, it was a useful kill when something came on too loud).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My iTunes library was starting to get too big to keep on my iMac, so I bought an external drive and have partitioned it, including one named Music to move my mp3s to.

I followed this guide : https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201562

iTunes was previously told to copy files to the library, but not to manage them so I ticked that as it said. All seems good.

It then does the big rear end copy, but I noticed while it was doing that that my system drive was also decreasing while going through things like my iOS apps.

After a while, my music seems to be copying across to the new drive fine. In the root of the Music partition I get a folder for each artists and the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. So far, so good.

I reboot iTunes and I delete an album from the system drive copy, it remains in the list and plays back fine so I know the library is pointing to the files correctly.

However, I'm not sure what'll happen to the non-music elements that iTunes handles to. On the system drive these are in subfolders from iTunes Media, including the Music subfolder which has now copied.

I subscribe to a new podcast to see where it goes, and it's appeared in my new Music partition among my artists in a folder called 'Podcasts'. This doesn't seem ideal... I either want the same structure as in iTunes Media (i.e. subfolders to distinguish artists, videos, podcasts, audiobooks etc) or just put the music on the new volume (which is preferred, I've enough space on the system drive for them as I don't keep too much).

Am I able to do what I want? Or just grin and bear it, it's not massive deal but I want everything to run smoothly and no unexpected surprises when I need to restore my iPhone in the future and it can't find the file. Right now I don't know if I'm safe to trash the iTunes Media folder on System (I guess I could delete the music out of it and rename the folder and see what happens...)

Any ideas?

e: I had some audio books in the old library, and they now appear in file form in the /Music/ folder under the authors name. Urgh, this is so annoying.

e2: and fixed with a second run of Organise Library. Annoying but glad it was a short fix!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 4, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Been working as normal for me on version 12.1.0.50 under OS X. Wonder why it's something that affects some but not others. I don't have Match and just using my local library as normal (I didn't start it since the outage issues though, and probably won't try that just to be sure...)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone good at troubleshooting why iTunes isn't syncing new music to my iPhone?

Both on most up to date versions, iTunes is on OSX.

* I add albums to 2 playlists that I have synced to my phone, and this has generally worked great for a few years
* I have Apple Music but I've disabled iCloud on it because I know that stops sync from working
* I've managed to do one sync in the last month where my new music has copied across
* The songs I'm missing show up faded out if I click the Phone then 'On My Device > Music" but with a dotted circle, so it knows they should be there but just doesn't sync them.

It's driving me a bit mad.

e: and of course now I've posted, it's syncing again. Think it was the 'Sync only checked songs and videos' button needed to be checked, for reasons I don't understand why.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 29, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How does podcast syncing work in iTunes? I'm signed into the same iCloud account on both my iPhone and iTunes, but despite subscribing to a bunch of shows on my phone there's nothing in iTunes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Was just looking through iTunes and couldn't work out why nothing was appearing. I tend to listen to podcasts on my phone 99% of the time so it's no massive worry, but nice to have everything working as expected!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm away from my computer to check if this is the same, but in the playlist view I use the most they changed the layout from a drop down that was always visible in the main window, to now being in the View menu. I find the default setting isn't for me whenever I make a new playlist, so I use it a fair bit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I actually had that issue with locally synced stuff without Music. One day half the tracks in my syncing playlist were just gone (original files still there though).

====

Speaking of Apple Music, I'm sure there used to be a dedicated thread but I tried a few forums and I guess it's either dropped off or it's not using the Apple tag.

So I had a trial on one of my accounts ages ago, and I fancied trying it again and on my main account it said I could have a trial (the join screen said 90 day free trial and asked me to choose a subscription type for after this expired). It then said I had to transfer my Apple ID to this device which is locked for 3 months (which means I'm probably locked out from logging into my UK account should I need to now? Which is a bit crappy and pointless) and then everything after this seems to indicate I'm not on a trial at all but have just paid for a month of Music. Is there any where I can confirm this, and request a cancellation if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that'll probably be why I didn't see it, I presumed they used the Apple tag. Yeah I think it's told me I had a trial then decided when I did the Apple ID transfer that I didn't and didn't give me the option to jump out.