Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

I currently have a Samsung Note 10+ on Verizon (USA) (sm-n975u1). I bought it unlocked from Amazon about 2 years ago as they bring my own device option for my phone service that my job provides. They're planning on switching to AT&T and I can't find a straight answer as to whether or not I can just pop a Verizon sim out of this and pop in a AT&T SIM? It's been years since I was up to speed on the whole GSM versus CDMA yada yada yada stuff...

Anyone know?

The U1 has a * on the AT&T allowed devices list, meaning it needs some kind of software update. I think if you put in the SIM it'll do it and you get an AT&T splash screen when you turn on? Otherwise might need to flash it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, whenever your job sends you an ATT SIM, just swap it and you should be fine. A Note 10+ will work on both. The dumb poo poo from years ago is now thankfully irrelevant.

Ugh. Remember when the original Galaxy S line had individual models for different carriers, including physical differences like body shape and whether or not it had FFC?

Can we forget about those days forever?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ugh. Remember when the original Galaxy S line had individual models for different carriers, including physical differences like body shape and whether or not it had FFC?

We are almost there. Apple actually did their own version of that that most people were not aware of with the iPhone 7.

They made two models (of both the 7 and 7+), one that was the ATT and T-Mobile version, and one that was specifically for sprint and Verizon.

The ATT / T-Mobile one will not work on Verizon (sprint, of course, is now dead so whatever). It’s finally getting to the point where it’s not a common thing, but i STILL get this dumb issue (people keep their phones for a long time and then want to just bring their own device versus buy a phone). It was extremely frustrating early on though when you had to tell people the expensive phone they got last year won’t work on 2 out of 4 carriers in the US.

The Verizon iPhone 7 is also the one that had the known issue where the radio board would just stop working. Only fix was to replace it.

Apple mostly hits the basics out of the park, but the 7 def had a bunch of missteps and I won’t miss it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On the other hand, the iPhone 7 came in Jet Black, the perfect iPhone color, so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Also I'd like to be able to transfer what I have on my phone to a new phone. And I'd like to keep my current phone number.

Yeah neither of these happened for me. Net10 blows rear end.

If anyone has them as a provider, bail out, but prepare to lose your number. What a horrible provider.

Thankfully I only use my phone for calls, texts, and pics, so losing my number and provider didn't hurt me too much.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If anyone has them as a provider, bail out, but prepare to lose your number. What a horrible provider.

Thankfully I only use my phone for calls, texts, and pics, so losing my number and provider didn't hurt me too much.

That's hosed up. My phone number has been ported from Verizon to Cricket to Boost to AT&T and now back to Verizon, and while I occasionally had a headache or hassle I always got my number ported in the end.

AlexDeGruven posted:

There are still Verizon-specific models, usually a variant to include their mmWave 5G. A few phones have a standard version and a "UW" version which is Verizon-specific. Although if they are unlocked I would assume they would work on the other two carriers, too. I think even the Verizon Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro are "UW" versions, although there is little to make that obvious aside from being $100 more expensive than a regular unlocked Pixel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's hosed up. My phone number has been ported from Verizon to Cricket to Boost to AT&T and now back to Verizon, and while I occasionally had a headache or hassle I always got my number ported in the end.

There are still Verizon-specific models, usually a variant to include their mmWave 5G. A few phones have a standard version and a "UW" version which is Verizon-specific. Although if they are unlocked I would assume they would work on the other two carriers, too. I think even the Verizon Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro are "UW" versions, although there is little to make that obvious aside from being $100 more expensive than a regular unlocked Pixel.

Yeah, the UW ones are a bit more expensive but work on other carriers.

So of the cheaper phones are still not cross compatible, although I don’t know whether it’s because they won’t work, or because Verizon didn’t bother to get the list of A32 IDs from Samsung.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I mean, that's to be expected during transitional times like these, but outside of the modems, the Galaxy S differences were crazy. The Verizon version was literally a different shape and didn't have an FFC. THE T-Mobile one was also a different shape, and included an FFC. And I believe the AT&T one was the same shape as the T-Mobile, but without an FFC. Then there was the international version on top of that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

drat. As the thread explained to me a while back when I switched from Boost -> T-Mobile: carriers are legally obligated to keep your existing phone # (they call it "porting") if you desire. But you need to get your account # from your previous carrier. I had to call Boost customer service, my first and last time doing so. They gave it to me, no questions asked.

If Net10 told you anything otherwise, or didn't give you your account #, they are lying and possibly breaking the law.

As far as xferring data between phones, there's probably apps for that. I went with a Samsung phone again, so that was really easy with their Smart Switch software. I assume something similar exists for Android that's manufacturer-agnostic. Or you could do it the old fashioned way - poke around in the file system and save folders/files to the cloud or backup media then re-load them on the new phone later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ofecks posted:

drat. As the thread explained to me a while back when I switched from Boost -> T-Mobile: carriers are legally obligated to keep your existing phone # (they call it "porting") if you desire. But you need to get your account # from your previous carrier.

This is correct, but as I tell all my customers, they are obligated to release your number, but they are not obligated to make it an easy process.

ATT recently added where you need a port out pin to switch away. This is actually good, it prevents your number getting stolen where people can hack into your bank, etc.

Except ATT has it all hosed up. I swear, every ATT customer that I interact with, I get a follow up from them saying it was hell getting them to release the number. No idea whether it is due to ATT purposefully denying them, ATT being incompetent , or (most likely) both. But man it’s super annoying.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

This is correct, but as I tell all my customers, they are obligated to release your number, but they are not obligated to make it an easy process.

ATT recently added where you need a port out pin to switch away. This is actually good, it prevents your number getting stolen where people can hack into your bank, etc.

Except ATT has it all hosed up. I swear, every ATT customer that I interact with, I get a follow up from them saying it was hell getting them to release the number. No idea whether it is due to ATT purposefully denying them, ATT being incompetent , or (most likely) both. But man it’s super annoying.

When I ported my number from Boost to ATT last year I had to get my account number by calling Boost, and then it took about a week of getting bounced around to different ATT customer service departments to finally get them to port my number in. I heard some amazing accents from the reps - I swear some of them sounded Eastern European. Many of them clearly had no idea how US geography and addresses work. When I ported from ATT to Verizon a couple months after that I remember the process going much smoother, fwiw.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What makes my story about Net10 "even better" is that they hosed up transferring my number from Verizon back when I signed up with them. Basically, Net10 hosed me out of two phone numbers. Assholes.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This post is like a foreign language to me. :downs:

Ofecks posted:

drat. As the thread explained to me a while back when I switched from Boost -> T-Mobile: carriers are legally obligated to keep your existing phone # (they call it "porting") if you desire. But you need to get your account # from your previous carrier. I had to call Boost customer service, my first and last time doing so. They gave it to me, no questions asked.

If Net10 told you anything otherwise, or didn't give you your account #, they are lying and possibly breaking the law.

I gave my Net10 account number to my new provider, along with a PIN that I assumed was the porting number, but that PIN was wrong. When I got in contact with Net10 to get a porting PIN, they e-mailed it to me, and it was invalid.

So yeah, I think they were lying and trying to prevent me from leaving Net10. They're so, so horrible.

Ofecks posted:

As far as xferring data between phones, there's probably apps for that. I went with a Samsung phone again, so that was really easy with their Smart Switch software. I assume something similar exists for Android that's manufacturer-agnostic. Or you could do it the old fashioned way - poke around in the file system and save folders/files to the cloud or backup media then re-load them on the new phone later.

The problem was that I couldn't download anything to my previous phone. It works, but doesn't connect to any network. I just had to update my contacts the old fashioned way, and get my photos via USB download.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I heard some amazing accents from the reps - I swear some of them sounded Eastern European. Many of them clearly had no idea how US geography and addresses work.

This is Net10 in a nutshell.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 17, 2022

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Country/Provider: US/Verizon
Current contract status: A family plan?
Budget (plan): $70 max
Features I know I want: Just data and good coverage, nothing fancy

Ok I'm 34 and it's time to get off mommy and daddy's family plan. I barely use my phone off WiFi but have been using data more frequently recently. I'm still clocking in under 2 GB used a month but the last couple months I've hit around 1.5 GB.

I'd prefer to stay on Verizon's network since they have better coverage in my area, but cost is definitely going to be the biggest factor in my decision. I've looked at Visible and that seems like my bag? But honestly looking over plans I don't really know what I'm reading. e.g. What's the functional difference between a Verizon regular Plan and a Prepaid Plan? Seems like Prepaid would be the way to go for me but I feel like there's a catch I'm missing.

I have a Pixel 3a XL that is (supposedly) unlocked that I don't want to pitch because it's still great.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Ok I'm 34 and it's time to get off mommy and daddy's family plan. I barely use my phone off WiFi but have been using data more frequently recently. I'm still clocking in under 2 GB used a month but the last couple months I've hit around 1.5 GB.

I'd prefer to stay on Verizon's network since they have better coverage in my area, but cost is definitely going to be the biggest factor in my decision. I've looked at Visible and that seems like my bag? But honestly looking over plans I don't really know what I'm reading. e.g. What's the functional difference between a Verizon regular Plan and a Prepaid Plan? Seems like Prepaid would be the way to go for me but I feel like there's a catch I'm missing.

I have a Pixel 3a XL that is (supposedly) unlocked that I don't want to pitch because it's still great.

I have my main phone on a Verizon prepaid plan with unlimited talk and text and 5GB of data per month, which is overkill since my data usage sounds like yours or even lighter. The plan listed at $40, but with autopay it went to $35. Then after three months I got a loyalty bonus and it went to $30. In another month or two and it will get another loyalty bonus and drop to $25. I pay like $1.25 in taxes/fees for that line.

I think the online customer service for Verizon prepaid is a little more basic than postpaid, but there is less bloat and data harvesting. Verizon also gates their faster "UW" 5G service behind more expensive plans, but they have no 5G service at all in my area so that is moot. Financing a phone is really a postpaid thing, but since I like to buy unlocked phones that is also kind of moot to me. Whether you get access to certain bells and whistles like wifi calling seems to depend more on your specific phone than anything else.

For reference, I have my secondary phone on a Tracfone plan that uses the Verizon network, and on that one I pay $20 a month for unlimited ta;l/text and 1GB of data. That plan rolls over the data every month, and I really don't use that phone, so am building up a bank of unused data just in case. Their online customer service is even more rudimentary, but has worked fine for me. I think the taxes/fees is the same as the Verizon account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

There are 3 main catches to prepaid, none of which i think affect you.

-lower data priority on congested towers than postpaid . That said it is def ahead of visible on data priority.

-can’t get discounted phones

-bare bones customer service.

And other poster is correct , price will go down with autopay and staying with said service.

Fyi, if you need help switching from Verizon postpaid to prepaid; that is a function I do working for big red, so don’t feel obligated , but PM if you need help switching over.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Thanks y'all! Sounds like the prepaid plan is exactly what I need. Duckman2008 I'll probably hit you up in PMs if I run into issues trying to :sever: from the family plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thanks y'all! Sounds like the prepaid plan is exactly what I need. Duckman2008 I'll probably hit you up in PMs if I run into issues trying to :sever: from the family plan.

No problem. Not a big deal for me to help you move over, it’s something I do a good bit here.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Country/Provider: Michigan-US/Cricket
Current contract status: Suspended, gotta pay $100 to reactivate
Budget (phone/plan): Currently paying $100/m for 2 phones with grandfathered unlimited data
Features I know I want: Lower monthly bill

Willing to give up the unlimited data since I'm not on my phone that much anymore. Is Google Fi any good? Their website price estimater says $18/month per phone, +$10/gb used... so like what, $40-$50 a month for 2 phones? What about setup/sign-on costs and fees?

Cricket has a 5gb a month data plan for $30 per phone... so $60. An improvement but I'd like to go cheaper if possible, tho clearly their price per gb is much better than Fi, I figure if I keep my data usage per phone below 2gb (very possible) then Fi will still be cheaper overall?

People smarter than me, should I switch to Fi's $18+$10 per gb, or switch to Cricket's $30/5gb plan?

Now that Ive written this all out it seems to me Id be better off switching to Cricket's lower data plan, but I'm still curious about people's experience with Google Fi. I understand it uses T-Mobile, whereas Cricket uses ATT, and I've had good coverage with it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How bad of an idea is it to get a xaiomi phone in the US? My friend's family was visiting him from Europe and one of them had a mi 11 and it looked like a pretty nice phone. I'm currently using a moto 2018 G and want to move to something a little better

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It won't work on AT&T FYI. Unsure on Verizon., T-mobile is most likely to work. If the specs on GSM arena are right the Mi 11 lacks band 71, which could lose you some coverage on Tmobile, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How bad of an idea is it to get a xaiomi phone in the US? My friend's family was visiting him from Europe and one of them had a mi 11 and it looked like a pretty nice phone. I'm currently using a moto 2018 G and want to move to something a little better

Any compatibility issues and the carriers won’t go out of their way to really help, so it’s just rolling the dice on your part. Def won’t work on ATT and very likely not Verizon.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Proletarian Mango posted:

Is Google Fi any good?

If everything goes fine and you never need more than basic script-following from support, yes. In reality, no

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

If everything goes fine and you never need more than basic script-following from support, yes. In reality, no

This matches up with the impression I have gotten from spending time in the support forums for the phones I own. The most consistent complaints about iffy service and unhelpful customer support are from people with Google Fi.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I don't know anything about phones, but I want to stop carrying my DSLR around with me.

I want a really good camera but have 0 interest in things like phone screen quality, playing games, any sort of powerful anything. What is the best camera you can run whatsapp on basically?

I want an A or S tier camera for as cheap as possible. Any ideas?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't know anything about phones, but I want to stop carrying my DSLR around with me.

I want a really good camera but have 0 interest in things like phone screen quality, playing games, any sort of powerful anything. What is the best camera you can run whatsapp on basically?

I know the struggle. I think it's worth it to get a phone with 3 fixed lenses (ultrawide, wide/normal, telephoto), so perhaps look into seeing if you can get a previous generation Google Pixel, iPhone, or Samsung Galaxy that has 3 lenses for a decent price? They are typically considered to be the top 3 for phone cameras. When looking at JUST the camera quality, I would go with a Google Pixel.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

jiggerypokery posted:

You want a pixel pro or an iphone pro. Maybe a galaxy if you don't mind burning thousands

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

What’s your phone carrier and current phone ? If you happen to be on a postpaid US carrier they’re still in a bit of a price war, so there are trade in discounts and such.

If you’re on a cheaper pay as you go that’s fine, just then you’re looking at outright price.

You may want to hunt for something like an iPhone 12 Pro on Swappa if that’s the case.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel like I should post a general recommendation to avoid Motorola phones.

I bought two of them last year, a Motorola One 5G Ace and a G Play (2021). Clownshow is too kind a word to describe Motorola's software update regime. I actually bought a Pixel 6 this year so I could demote my One 5G Ace to a basically unused backup phone because the software update situation is so incredibly bad. The hardware is good, and if they did the bare minimum in providing Android and security updates I would totally be a shill for them. But as it stands I feel like I should warn people to avoid Motorola unless you don't care if you get an Android version update or if your security updates fall behind and generate warnings every month or two.

As a point of reference, the Motorola One 5G Ace was released in January 2021 with Android 10. Android 10 was released in 2019. They promised 2 years of Android updates, although I think they might have promised 3 years of security updates. As of this writing the One 5G Ace in the US is still on Android 10, and for over a year the Motorola reps have said they are working the Android 11 release but having problems. They're also promising it will get Android 12 at this point. But nothing changes. At least 2 or 3 times in the last year the security update on the phone was so old it generated a warning, and it has never been the security update for the current month. Software support is so bad it's absurd, like some kind of ill-natured prank.

My G Play (2021) got updated to Android 11 last fall, but falls behind on security updates all the time, too.

Unless you are looking for a short-term phone, or don't care about updates and security patches, I strongly suggest avoiding Motorola.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 29, 2022

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Carrier: Public Mobile
Budget: Preferably ~$500 CAD

I've currently got a Moto G5 Plus and the battery seems to be shot, so I'm looking for a new phone. I don't use my phone a whole lot - messaging, transit, music, photos - so mainly I'm looking for something that doesn't have the sluggish UI of a low-budget phone and that will hopefully last me another 4-5 years like my last couple phones have. A headphone jack is nice but not essential.

The new Samsung A33/A53 seem like good options since they're offering software/security updates for 4-5 years. I haven't seen confirmation if/when the A33 is coming out in Canada, and the A53 is closer to $600 which is doable but not ideal (and at that budget the iPhone SE 2022 is also an option). I think the A32 only gets one more year of OS updates and three of security updates, but it's also cheaper.

I was looking at Xiaomi phones as well because several of those are available here (Note 10 Pro, Note 11s, Poco X4 Pro) but I'm not sure what support for those is like.

Pixel 5a isn't available here or I'd probably just get one. I thought about refurbished phones too, but I'm guessing if what I'm looking for is long-term support then even something a year old is probably going to be dropped before too long apart from maybe iPhones.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I know the struggle. I think it's worth it to get a phone with 3 fixed lenses (ultrawide, wide/normal, telephoto), so perhaps look into seeing if you can get a previous generation Google Pixel, iPhone, or Samsung Galaxy that has 3 lenses for a decent price? They are typically considered to be the top 3 for phone cameras. When looking at JUST the camera quality, I would go with a Google Pixel.

Is there a major difference bettween a google pixel 6 and a 6 pro?

I've googled this of course but I'm a total technophobe and just want to be told. I find it utterly overwhelming

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 31, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

I've googled this of course but I'm a total technophobe and just want to be told. I find it utterly overwhelming

https://www.theverge.com/22750387/google-pixel-6-pro-review

Overall, you are paying more for the Pro for the better camera and 120 refresh rate versus 90. Camera specifically is a big difference.

Depends on the person of course, overall, even "light" users still use their phones daily and take pictures a lot, especially so if you have kids. I personally recommend just paying the difference for the Pro, the one time difference for those features for a phone that you will use for 3-5 years is worth it , in my opinion.

But both are good.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

jiggerypokery posted:

The 6 Pro is a bit larger, faster and the camera zooms further. However, the 6 is plenty big, very fast and the camera is good enough for most people. Realistically you won’t regret getting ”just“ the 6.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

They are both at least twice as much as I was expecting to spend. I am completely overwhelmed. I just want to take good pictures and not carry a dslr around with me any more. I've seen a refurbished s20 ultra for half the price. Would there be such a big difference that I would regret getting that over a pixel 6?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

They are both at least twice as much as I was expecting to spend. I am completely overwhelmed. I just want to take good pictures and not carry a dslr around with me any more. I've seen a refurbished s20 ultra for half the price. Would there be such a big difference that I would regret getting that over a pixel 6?

Maybe ? It’s two years older, although the camera is pretty good on it.

Are you in the US or another country? If I’m the US, postpaid or prepaid carrier ?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m thinking about switching to an iPhone SE 3rd gen after using nothing but android phones, but while looking at phones on T-Mobile I saw the Galaxy a32 is over $100 cheaper. Is the SE worth the extra cash, or should I just stick to what I’m used to?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a fan of iPhone and dislike Samsung phones, but I would not buy the SE. You're buying a phone with a design that is now 8 years old. The new one still isn't even an OLED screen. It's going to feel super outdated even if it's actually pretty powerful.

jiggerypokery posted:

Maybe a refurbished Pixel 5? $300 on Amazon right now.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My mom has the SE and it feels super old and cheap now, yeah, even though it isn't. Giant bezels, tiny screen, feels just like using her original iPhone that she got 7-8 years ago. She loves it, because she likes not having to get used to a new device and all she wants outside of basic talk+text is a decent camera for grandkid pictures and carplay for navigation.

I hate it and would never get one for myself, though. Feels terrible to use now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The 2020 SE was great except fairly weak battery and camera, dunno how a budget samsung would compare but I'd definitely go for a Pixel 5 over that with a new processor. The big advantage of the SE will be the processor's raw power, but we're way past the point where that's a big deal (like 2011 or 2012 or whenever android phones went from single to dual core, that made a massive usability improvement).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I went with an s20 ultra? I hope that it will be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

I went with an s20 ultra? I hope that it will be ok

You know what? Me , a random person on the internet, approves. It will be ok.

On a real note, phone will be fine, I wouldn’t worry.