Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'd personally spend the extra $20, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with the 6A. As noted, you may* need to get a new SIM.

*Almost certainly as your current one probably won't work with 5G.

VorpalBunny posted:

But can't I just toggle off the 5g access and use my current SIM card for 4g access?
https://screenrant.com/google-pixel-6-turn-off-5g-how-why/

Verizon 4G SIM cards will work in a 5G phone for both 4G and 5G service.

It’s a best practice to get a 5G SIM, just in case, and they are free at any company store. Always set an appointment, staff got cut a bit back so they’re now usually busy (hooray capitalism).

Vzw.com/storelocator

Verizon charges for transferring data and when you buy a phone through them. Buying an unlocked phone online not through Verizon , you shouldn’t have a fee.

Pixel 6 is def a great option fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
looks like both K20s use a nano sim so you might just try swapping it in after going through setup
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k20_plus-8678.php (2016)
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k20_(2019)-9828.php (2019)
if you're still using one of these, either of the pixels will blow it out of the water

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, my girlfriend is looking to get on a plan with me, and I'm looking to ditch US Cellular, because their reception sucks in my apartment in eastern Iowa. We're looking at moving to Mint.

I can migrate my 2021 Moto G Power, no problem, but she has an old iPhone 6.

Requirements:

- $300 or less for the phone
- Good battery life and camera
- Expandable storage so she can get to at least 64GB

Any thoughts?

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
Does the starlink for boats plan suck rear end yes or no

Specifically for the carribean, west off the coast of Florida

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Obama2 posted:

Does the starlink for boats plan suck rear end yes or no

Specifically for the carribean, west off the coast of Florida

Are you going on a cruise, or would this be on a private boat? Because for cruises there are often hard-to-find special temporary plans for cellphones that might serve your needs. I briefly worked 3rd party customer support for AT&T and they had a cruise package that was a much better deal than an international roaming package, but you kind of had to know it existed and was hard to find even as an employee.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Starling is not phone service, so this is then wrong place to ask.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
My Moto X4 is about to drop off Verizon's supported devices list. This is a land line I ported over for my parents because it was cheaper for them to have a cell phone than a land line, but they didn't want to give up the number. It very rarely gets used. I Googled a bit and didn't find any "we'll give you this replacement phone for free" program; is there a replacement phone that:

1) Will be getting security updates for few years
2) Is very cheap/free

I was looking at some of the Moto G phones, not sure which one to get.

EDIT: Also, if there is a "get a free phone because yours is going to stop working" program, would appreciate a link.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 24, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

My Moto X4 is about to drop off Verizon's supported devices list. This is a land line I ported over for my parents because it was cheaper for them to have a cell phone than a land line, but they didn't want to give up the number. It very rarely gets used. I Googled a bit and didn't find any "we'll give you this replacement phone for free" program; is there a replacement phone that:

1) Will be getting security updates for few years
2) Is very cheap/free

I was looking at some of the Moto G phones, not sure which one to get.

EDIT: Also, if there is a "get a free phone because yours is going to stop working" program, would appreciate a link.

Possible , but I would have to look because it’s account based.

Do you mean it’s on the 3G network ? That phone is old enough where it sounds like it.

If so, they’ll likely offer a Samsung A03 free over 3 years. It’s a $160 retail phone, so like, it’ll work be but nothing amazing. I guess it would get security updates for a few years, but wouldn’t guarantee it.

That said, for just sitting around doing nothing , ir should be fine.

If you want me to call you and check (I can also place the order), PM me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Looking for:

Xander77 posted:

Good to great camera (all my touristy photos are taken with the phone), decent amount of memory space (I kind use the phone as a substitute flash drive for moving stuff between computers) and... whatever it is that ensures that all the programs are reasonably fast. Or at least not infuriatingly slow.

It should also come with a case, because I an old man at heart and keep dropping my phones.

Budget 500-1000$ tops.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Looking for:

Google pixel 7 or iPhone 13 or 14. For both, if you want to splurge an extra $200 for the Pro, the Pro has a better camera. You will also have to spend a bit more if you want 256GB versus 128GB, expandable storage is gone and they charge more for storage because they can.

FYI, if you are in the US between now and Black Friday there tend to be very good discounts if you are on a postpaid carrier, so if you are on a postpaid carrier let us know which one, if on prepaid or not US ignore this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've been using my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone for about 11 years and now Verizon is apparently shutting down the network it runs on, so I will need to get a new phone for the first time in a long time.

I'm also using this as an opportunity to switch carriers. I'm thinking about switching to Mint Mobile because I really only use a small amount of data every month + texting and calling.

They currently have both the Google Pixel 6a and the OnePlus Nord N20 for the same price if you swap carriers. Those phones seem more than fine for my general uses.

1) Are there any hidden pitfalls or good things about Mint that I might not be aware of?

2) The Pixel 6a is newer and used to be a lot more expensive, but it seems to have lower specs and doesn't have a headphone jack. Am I missing something as to why it used to be almost 2x the cost of the Nord?

3) Is there a clear better option for the phone between the two? I'd have assumed that the Google brand + it being newer and more expensive meant it was more powerful and, now that they are the same price, that the Pixel would be the obvious choice. But, the specs are throwing me off a little bit.

4) The Google Pixel has Android 12 and the Nord has Android 11. Are there any huge differences there that the average user would notice?

Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've been using my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone for about 11 years and now Verizon is apparently shutting down the network it runs on, so I will need to get a new phone for the first time in a long time.

I'm also using this as an opportunity to switch carriers. I'm thinking about switching to Mint Mobile because I really only use a small amount of data every month + texting and calling.

They currently have both the Google Pixel 6a and the OnePlus Nord N20 for the same price if you swap carriers. Those phones seem more than fine for my general uses.

1) Are there any hidden pitfalls or good things about Mint that I might not be aware of?

2) The Pixel 6a is newer and used to be a lot more expensive, but it seems to have lower specs and doesn't have a headphone jack. Am I missing something as to why it used to be almost 2x the cost of the Nord?

3) Is there a clear better option for the phone between the two? I'd have assumed that the Google brand + it being newer and more expensive meant it was more powerful and, now that they are the same price, that the Pixel would be the obvious choice. But, the specs are throwing me off a little bit.

4) The Google Pixel has Android 12 and the Nord has Android 11. Are there any huge differences there that the average user would notice?

Thanks.

I can’t believe you are still using a S3. Impressive sir.

Mint has lower data priority than regular T-Mobile. Given you have a S3, I don’t think that’s gonna be a deal breaker.

I recommend the Pixel 6A because of the camera and longer software updates. Google charges more because they can brand wise. For US pricing it’s actually decently priced.

Processor is good to factor in, but Google makes the phone work better on a slower processor because the software is better.

I think some people here are or were fans of the One Plus phones, but I would recommend Google personally.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Duckman2008 posted:

Processor is good to factor in, but Google makes the phone work better on a slower processor because the software is better.
the tensor 2's equivalent cores run at a higher frequency and it has low-power cores that the snapdragon in the nord doesn't, so it should run faster when necessary and use less power when not. i also doubt the nord will get 3 years of system update

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

butt dickus posted:

the tensor 2's equivalent cores run at a higher frequency and it has low-power cores that the snapdragon in the nord doesn't, so it should run faster when necessary and use less power when not. i also doubt the nord will get 3 years of system update

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Seems like I should go with the pixel. The lack of a headphone jack is really annoying, though.

Also, possibly a dumb question that I am answering myself, but Duckman says the Pixel's camera is much better. On the specs page, it looks like it has fewer megapixels than the Nord. Is it just a different type of camera/measurements other than megapixels that make it better?

Duckman2008 posted:

I can’t believe you are still using a S3. Impressive sir.

I honestly wasn't planning on it, but it somehow survived this long and I just... never bought a new one because it still worked and I basically only used it for texting, calls, light web browsing, and GPS.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I need a micro SD card that's 400gb+ because mine just corrupted in my s9+. I haven't kept up with who makes a good card, any recommendations?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Seems like I should go with the pixel. The lack of a headphone jack is really annoying, though.

Also, possibly a dumb question that I am answering myself, but Duckman says the Pixel's camera is much better. On the specs page, it looks like it has fewer megapixels than the Nord. Is it just a different type of camera/measurements other than megapixels that make it better?

I honestly wasn't planning on it, but it somehow survived this long and I just... never bought a new one because it still worked and I basically only used it for texting, calls, light web browsing, and GPS.

Cell phone camera performance is not best judged by raw megapixel count. It's gotten to a similar point as CPU clockspeed on PCs - it provides some information, but only in vague terms. Pixels have the advantage of a lot of AI processing which makes a difference in how they capture images.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Headphone jacks are dead on good phones now, it's just the way it is. Don't get a worse phone just to avoid using a cheap USB<>AUX dongle. TBH, I sort of understand why they've done away with them. Modern cell phones are packed very tightly into their shells to keep size down while maintaining performance, and a headphone jack uses up a surprising amount of volume for a feature that relatively few people really care about anymore.

And yeah, Pixel camera performance is so good because of Google's image processing software. Since the 6a uses the same chip architecture as their flagship models, it gets the full benefit of that software and punches way above its price point in terms of camera quality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My aunt had a bit of a health scare, and my mom took stewardship of her phone, and has decided that she needs a newer model because the battery's dying and the OS has gotten slow. It's a Samsung Galaxy S5, and the replacement should also be a Samsung to match with her tablet. She probably doesn't need anything expensive, and she seems to generally resent using her phone since she mainly uses her tablet, but I'd like to giver her options since she worked in computers all her life before she retired.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

My aunt had a bit of a health scare, and my mom took stewardship of her phone, and has decided that she needs a newer model because the battery's dying and the OS has gotten slow. It's a Samsung Galaxy S5, and the replacement should also be a Samsung to match with her tablet. She probably doesn't need anything expensive, and she seems to generally resent using her phone since she mainly uses her tablet, but I'd like to giver her options since she worked in computers all her life before she retired.

A. Check to see if the carrier has a promo

B. If not, either the Samsung A53 , Samsung S21 FE or Samsung S22, depending on budget preference. A53 would be fine IMO.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I have a OnePlus 6T. I love it. It has been basically the perfect phone for me since I got it-- there are only a few small gripes:
- The in-screen fingerprint sensor needs full brightness to read, so it blinds me at night when I go to unlock it.
- The included fast charging cable is just short enough to be annoying.
- The camera is pretty lovely, especially compared to my old Nexus 5X, which had a camera I loved, before it goddamn bricked itself after like 5 months of use with no recourse.
- The battery has always lasted a day or more but seems finally to be getting closer to 20-30% by the end of the day just from sitting in my pocket mostly.
- My network supports 5G but the 6T only supports 4G LTE. 5G would be nice.

The size of the 6T is perfect for me, I wouldn't want anything bigger, because I primarily use my phone one-handed, making a little stand with my pinky, only occasionally reaching up for stuff.

I use mint mobile and am happy with it. My question is, does OnePlus suck now? All the reviews for their newer phones are full of nerds complaining that OnePlus jumped the shark and is terrible now. Should I consider a Pixel 6A?

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Alright so basically this seems to be the only place to ask about phones. I haven't ever had one and I don't think I'll particularly use it for much other than phonecalls and emergency internet stuff when needed. I'm going with a Canadian provider called Public because they have pay as you go options and seem to be offering relatively good things of late (40$ CAD for 17 gigs of data a month and text and calls etc). They have a bunch of phone options on their site which include 1 year warranties.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section#phone-start

At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the barebones samsung A03, or the Galaxy FE20 5g. I was going to go with the A13 but the vague and ominous shouts of it 'being poo poo' for no given reason give me pause. If the FE20 will last me three to five years and will be extra durable and have no issues loading any applications then I can live with wasting 400$ on it, and heck having the ability to play some games might be nice at some point too. But again I'm not really a phone junkie, and it's mostly for internet access and texting/calling really. Is there some reason to avoid the FE20 at all? Should I even bother getting that? The plan I'd be going with would just be 4g.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Blorknorg posted:

Alright so basically this seems to be the only place to ask about phones. I haven't ever had one and I don't think I'll particularly use it for much other than phonecalls and emergency internet stuff when needed. I'm going with a Canadian provider called Public because they have pay as you go options and seem to be offering relatively good things of late (40$ CAD for 17 gigs of data a month and text and calls etc). They have a bunch of phone options on their site which include 1 year warranties.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section#phone-start

At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the barebones samsung A03, or the Galaxy FE20 5g. I was going to go with the A13 but the vague and ominous shouts of it 'being poo poo' for no given reason give me pause. If the FE20 will last me three to five years and will be extra durable and have no issues loading any applications then I can live with wasting 400$ on it, and heck having the ability to play some games might be nice at some point too. But again I'm not really a phone junkie, and it's mostly for internet access and texting/calling really. Is there some reason to avoid the FE20 at all? Should I even bother getting that? The plan I'd be going with would just be 4g.

The Galaxy S20 FE is over 2 years old at this point, it's not going to be a good phone for an additional 3-5 years. None of those phones will be great for that long, except probably the iPhone 11 is the best bet, and just plan to get the battery replaced by apple after a few years. If you want a cheaper android phone, see how much the Pixel 6a or Pixel 6 would be for you. The Galaxy A03 is going to be a frustrating piece of poo poo, don't get a bottom of the barrel android phone.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

sourdough posted:

The Galaxy S20 FE is over 2 years old at this point, it's not going to be a good phone for an additional 3-5 years. None of those phones will be great for that long, except probably the iPhone 11 is the best bet, and just plan to get the battery replaced by apple after a few years. If you want a cheaper android phone, see how much the Pixel 6a or Pixel 6 would be for you. The Galaxy A03 is going to be a frustrating piece of poo poo, don't get a bottom of the barrel android phone.

Thank you for the response. The pixel 6a is about 600$ Canadian and the 6 is 800-900. I think something that is important is that I just kind of want the phone to be durable, fairly quick loading, and without any technical issues as much as possible. It doesn't need to be the bleeding technical edge for the next 3-5 years, just have a consistent level of performance and reliability for that period. I'd have grabbed the S20 at this point but I keep seeing worrying reports of overheating issues. Any game that I'd be playing probably wouldn't be the high end much, and if I want to play genshin I can just use geforce now apparently even on phones if I need to.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I currently have a Pixel 3 that's just about dead, so I need a new phone:

- I'm not really a heavy phone user, my primary use case is just the camera (with Night Sight almost exclusively - computational photography is great). I don't really care about extra lenses though.
- In the cases where I actually use other apps, the 4GB of RAM has been really limiting for multitasking.
- I don't like huge phones; the Pixel 3 is already big and I'd rather go smaller than larger.
- I'm willing to consider an iPhone but would prefer Android.
- I got it very cheaply with the old BOGO Google Fi deal, and I'd certainly like another good deal for the next one (although I don't need two phones this time).

What are my best options? It seems like the newer Pixels just continue to get larger with no smaller version available. The Galaxy S22 is about the same size as my current phone, but has Samsung's computational photography caught up with Google's by now, or are they significantly behind? (And is their version of Android decent enough? Never used it.) Maybe the latest iPhone is a good option, but I haven't bought an Apple device in 9 years so I'm not well-informed about them. What do you guys think?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

- I'm not really a heavy phone user, my primary use case is just the camera (with Night Sight almost exclusively - computational photography is great). I don't really care about extra lenses though.
- In the cases where I actually use other apps, the 4GB of RAM has been really limiting for multitasking.
- I don't like huge phones; the Pixel 3 is already big and I'd rather go smaller than larger.
- I got it very cheaply with the old BOGO Google Fi deal, and I'd certainly like another good deal for the next one (although I don't need two phones this time).

What are my best options? It seems like the newer Pixels just continue to get larger with no smaller version available. The Galaxy S22 is about the same size as my current phone, but has Samsung's computational photography caught up with Google's by now, or are they significantly behind? (And is their version of Android decent enough? Never used it.) Maybe the latest iPhone is a good option, but I haven't bought an Apple device in 9 years so I'm not well-informed about them. What do you guys think?

Are you still on Google Fi?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

runawayturtles posted:

Maybe the Pixel 6a? It isn't much bigger than the 3, and would meet most of your description. The trend in phones has been generally going big, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Are you still on Google Fi?

Yeah. Might switch back to Verizon though, not sure.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe the Pixel 6a? It isn't much bigger than the 3, and would meet most of your description. The trend in phones has been generally going big, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Hmm, maybe... it's slightly smaller than the 7 at least, but still closer to the 7 than the 3.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

does anyone know which manufacturers, if any, have traditionally given the best deals on phones during black friday (assuming bf is the best time for deals, which, why wouldn't it be)? Or is it on a case-by-case basis?

I want to get a newish android phone. my network is tmobile

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

Yeah. Might switch back to Verizon though, not sure.

Hmm, maybe... it's slightly smaller than the 7 at least, but still closer to the 7 than the 3.

If you switch to Verizon post paid they’ll give you a $700 trade in towards the pixel 7 or 7 pro. Main catch is 3 year contract , plan is $70-80 a month.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

If you switch to Verizon post paid they’ll give you a $700 trade in towards the pixel 7 or 7 pro. Main catch is 3 year contract , plan is $70-80 a month.

Can confirm, got $700 for my Pixel 3XL, which is substantially more than I paid for it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

If I switch back to Verizon, it will probably be to rejoin my parents' plan for substantial cost savings. Do you know if this offer is available when switching a line to an existing plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

If I switch back to Verizon, it will probably be to rejoin my parents' plan for substantial cost savings. Do you know if this offer is available when switching a line to an existing plan?

Yes , def available.

Do not feel obligated, but If you want help switching , I work for big red, if you PM me I can literally call you and help you switch.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Hey everyone, my old OnePlus 5t from like 2018 is looking very worse for wear, with chips out of the screen and a battery that drains faster than my energy if I socialise for more than 5 seconds, so I'm looking for something new.

There are some deals on the OnePlus 9 Pro and regular models at the minute so I've been tempted, but I know there are deals on quite a few models.

As far as my use case, I don't do a huge amount of photography, moreso I just use it for chatting, watching YouTube videos and keeping the screen on when doing research. Battery life and charging time is important for me which is why I've been spoiled by OnePlus's quick charge time.

Is getting the OnePlus 9 actually worth it for the sale price? It's about £350 for an unlocked SIM free handset atm which is absolutely crazy when I paid £499 in 2018 for a OnePlus 5t, so it feels like there's a catch of some kind that the phone isn't as good, what's your opinion?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes , def available.

Do not feel obligated, but If you want help switching , I work for big red, if you PM me I can literally call you and help you switch.

My mom ended up calling to get account-specific info from Verizon for her "Unlimited 55+ Loyalty" plan. She was given a choice of these offers (for reference, my wife would switch with me, but could take or leave a new phone, hers still works fine):

-For two switched lines, get two free Pixel 6As
-For two switched lines, buy one Pixel 7 (full price) get one half-off
-For two switched lines and two traded-in Pixel 3s, get two Pixel 7s half-off
(all of the above with 3 year contracts)
(the person mentioned the trade-in value of the Pixel 3 is notably less than the 4/4A and later)

And the two lines themselves would each be $36/month for unlimited. It's hard to find exact details aside from just "unlimited", as her plan doesn't seem to be offered anymore.

Not sure if all this is accurate given your previous post... I can try to get her to speak with you if she's not getting the best deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

My mom ended up calling to get account-specific info from Verizon for her "Unlimited 55+ Loyalty" plan. She was given a choice of these offers (for reference, my wife would switch with me, but could take or leave a new phone, hers still works fine):

-For two switched lines, get two free Pixel 6As
-For two switched lines, buy one Pixel 7 (full price) get one half-off
-For two switched lines and two traded-in Pixel 3s, get two Pixel 7s half-off
(all of the above with 3 year contracts)
(the person mentioned the trade-in value of the Pixel 3 is notably less than the 4/4A and later)

And the two lines themselves would each be $36/month for unlimited. It's hard to find exact details aside from just "unlimited", as her plan doesn't seem to be offered anymore.

Not sure if all this is accurate given your previous post... I can try to get her to speak with you if she's not getting the best deal.

Yeah, the issue is the $700 trade in on the pixel ended 😕 so the pixel 3 trade in is def lower.

Her plan gets the same data speeds as the “start” unlimited plan. Unlimited data, at times of network congestion you could see slower speeds.

Yeah, trade in if pixel 3 when switching is now $350, 4 and up is $700. It def is over 3 year contract.

For her if you do a bring your own device credit it you can get a $10 a month credit over 3 years instead of credit towards phone. More just a preference.

That all does look accurate tbh. Fyi switching numbers and getting a pixel 7, you would also get a $200 gift card each for switching and buying a phone. So $350 trade in plus $200.

Let me know what questions you have on that either here or PM.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Ah, thanks, appreciate the confirmation. Indecisiveness wins again, rip.

Will have to go over the options with my wife and see where we end up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

Ah, thanks, appreciate the confirmation. Indecisiveness wins again, rip.

Will have to go over the options with my wife and see where we end up.

Totally. You need any help just PM.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I have a Galaxy S8 that I'll be donating to family and will need a replacement for myself. I liked the general size and feel of it.

I've been looking at the Pixel 7 and S21FE and they're only $50 apart on Amazon at the moment ($500 vs $450). I'm already on Mint and don't plan on switching carriers, so I haven't been looking at trade-in or new/transferred line discounts.

I don't really care about camera quality, but would like something that has a decent build quality that will last. Besides browsing internet and checking email, would like to be able to play some games on it occasionally (mostly Genshin Impact which the S8 barely handled at the lowest possible settings). I've given up on finding something with a headphone jack though, I'll just buy a dongle.

I also absolutely want a phone case with a kickstand, but I feel like that's not an issue at all with Google or Samsung phones.

Any recommendations as to which to pick between the two? Or other options in general? Slightly leaning toward Pixel 7 due to longer update support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hyper Inferno posted:

I have a Galaxy S8 that I'll be donating to family and will need a replacement for myself. I liked the general size and feel of it.

I've been looking at the Pixel 7 and S21FE and they're only $50 apart on Amazon at the moment ($500 vs $450). I'm already on Mint and don't plan on switching carriers, so I haven't been looking at trade-in or new/transferred line discounts.

I don't really care about camera quality, but would like something that has a decent build quality that will last. Besides browsing internet and checking email, would like to be able to play some games on it occasionally (mostly Genshin Impact which the S8 barely handled at the lowest possible settings). I've given up on finding something with a headphone jack though, I'll just buy a dongle.

I also absolutely want a phone case with a kickstand, but I feel like that's not an issue at all with Google or Samsung phones.

Any recommendations as to which to pick between the two? Or other options in general? Slightly leaning toward Pixel 7 due to longer update support.

Get the pixel 7 for the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I'm thinking about getting a dumb phone. The only thing is, it seems like it's either absolutely no apps or all the poo poo.

Is there one of these things that has maps + a music player, and that's it?