Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

So here's a dumb question that I hate to even ask, but are there any remotely reliable phones with physical keypads left that aren't flip phones?

Sorry to say it in this case , it honestly the answer is no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Duckman2008 posted:

Holy cow, you weren't kidding. Per GSMArena https://m.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2016&nHeightMax=160&idQwerty=1 , only 4 phones have been released since 2016 with a physical qwerty keyboard (although their search engine has missed things for me before).
I remember loving the physical keyboard on my Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 back in the day but honestly once he tries a soft keyboard with gboard (for swipe typing) or SwiftKey (for standard typing), it's hard to go back. But I get it's for an old, stubborn person so maybe one of those 4 phones can be bought used on ebay for cheap or something

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Duckman2008 posted:

I kind of figured as much as since a week of researching this problem hasn't turned up anything. It's just unbelievably annoying since he refuses to use any kind of traditional smartphone. We bought him one about a year ago and he ended up just leaving it at home (intentionally) 99% of the time because he hated it so much.

Someone who just doesn't understand how to use a newer phone I can work with, but someone who actively refuses to use them is something else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sorry are you wanting a number pad or a full QWERTY? The "Blackberry" Androids are, supposedly, not terrible for the latter. I think you're SOL on the former.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of figured as much as since a week of researching this problem hasn't turned up anything. It's just unbelievably annoying since he refuses to use any kind of traditional smartphone. We bought him one about a year ago and he ended up just leaving it at home (intentionally) 99% of the time because he hated it so much.

Someone who just doesn't understand how to use a newer phone I can work with, but someone who actively refuses to use them is something else.

As someone who is both old and has older parents, I think the mindset is that people existed without telephones on their person for 30,000 years just fine. There's absolutely no reason for a person to have to have a phone on them at all times.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Practically all dumb phones for sale today are flip phones.

If he must have a candybar style phone, there's the Nokia 3310. It's cheap, it's the right form factor, and most of the reviews say it's decent except for the fact that it's not a smartphone. Unfortunately it's 3G-only, and US carriers are decommissioning their 3G networks over the next few years.

There's also the Nokia 8110, which has LTE and is technically not a flip phone, but it is a slider. Also, more importantly, it wasn't ever sold as a US-market phone, and the LTE bands it supports don't map well to US carriers. It will continue to work past 2022, but it won't work all that well, now or then.

Finally, there are still a few candybar type phones in the ruggedized market. The Sonim XP5s is more expensive than an entry level smartphone, runs a cut-down version of Android that doesn't work all that well, and looks like a prop from a SyFy Original, but it is in fact a candybar style phone that you can buy brand new and has good compatibility with US networks. It probably isn't a good choice but it technically hits all your requirements.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is the Pixel 4XL, used in mint condition, a $440 phone? I currently have the Pixel 3XL but the screen and camera lens is shattered. At this point either the Pixel 4a 5G for $499 or this used Pixel 4XL for $440.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Is the Pixel 4XL, used in mint condition, a $440 phone? I currently have the Pixel 3XL but the screen and camera lens is shattered. At this point either the Pixel 4a 5G for $499 or this used Pixel 4XL for $440.

I'd go for the 4XL if you're ok with face unlock rather than fingerprint. Besides that, the 4XL will be better.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I remember loving the physical keyboard on my Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 back in the day but honestly once he tries a soft keyboard with gboard (for swipe typing) or SwiftKey (for standard typing), it's hard to go back. But I get it's for an old, stubborn person so maybe one of those 4 phones can be bought used on ebay for cheap or something

This is something I researched a while ago, actually, I figured there'd be some aftermarket solution.

You can get basic wi-fi and/or designed for X model phone keyboard cases, occasionally. Usually they're bluetooth, sometimes they physically hinge/connect. The downside is they basically only pair with popular models and you have to do extra research to figure out what goes with what. something like this so you know what to lok for.

I think there's a few 4g android motorola/samsungs from a few years back, but they tend to uh, be dual cores and not very modern. I think the most current one I was able to find at a brief googling was from 2019, its the Fxtec pro1: https://www.androidauthority.com/fxtec-pro1-review-960653/ ,

Fake edit: I think the fxtec is the model your link missed and its the one you want. Money shot is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XkduXGNfno&t=254s

Godamn. I might have to get one. Its a side-slider-but-not qwerty keyboard on a modern phone? yes please.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

sourdough posted:

I'd go for the 4XL if you're ok with face unlock rather than fingerprint. Besides that, the 4XL will be better.

Thanks. I've never had a phone with face unlock but I'm going to give it a go. First time buying off Swappa too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. I've never had a phone with face unlock but I'm going to give it a go. First time buying off Swappa too.

Face unlock is great unless you're wearing a mask a lot. I also got my 4XL off Swappa.

I guess you and I will be poo poo out of luck if we run into that battery connector defect but for $400 I'm not complaining.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

LastInLine posted:

As someone who is both old and has older parents, I think the mindset is that people existed without telephones on their person for 30,000 years just fine. There's absolutely no reason for a person to have to have a phone on them at all times.

Like I said, the problem is that he has severely degraded vision and there have been situations in the past where he's had to go to strangers for help/to call someone. We've been trying to force a phone on him as a way for everyone to feel comfortable with him remaining as independent as possible. Nobody wants him to carry a phone so they can stay in touch, just so he can let us know if he's stuck somewhere or needs help.

Ultimately I think we're just going to have to find a way to force him to actually use a smartphone, or for him to get over his insane hatred of flip phones, I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Like I said, the problem is that he has severely degraded vision and there have been situations in the past where he's had to go to strangers for help/to call someone. We've been trying to force a phone on him as a way for everyone to feel comfortable with him remaining as independent as possible. Nobody wants him to carry a phone so they can stay in touch, just so he can let us know if he's stuck somewhere or needs help.

Ultimately I think we're just going to have to find a way to force him to actually use a smartphone, or for him to get over his insane hatred of flip phones, I guess.

Oh don't think I'm minimizing the concern you have which seems real, I'm just looking at it from his point of view where he obviously feels like it's not a problem. Your struggle is one all of us will be going through with aging parents stuck in their ways and I don't envy you.

For what it's worth, I just Googled "old people cellphone" and there seem to be a number of candybar-style phones specifically for seniors with large, clear fonts for the vision impaired. While I personally would be most comfortable with something that can be tracked it seems like you do have some options. Your problem seems like convincing him to carry it rather than finding the right thing though.

I do wish you luck. :(

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_220_4g-9774.php

?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Same problem as the 8110 - it's not compatible with most US LTE bands. It works on 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 20. The only one with support from US carriers is 5, and it's not a main band for any of them (see https://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933 ). It's a good choice for European carriers, but that's probably not all that relevant in this case.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

My S8 is running into some charging port issues after three years, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a bigger phone. The main features I want are good construction, a quality camera, decent battery life, and a 6-6.5" screen. I'm located in the UK.

I have my eye on the Pixel 4a 5G, as it seems to hit most of the notes and preorders come with a pair of Bose QC II 35s I can flip for £100-£150.

That said, 5G is quite useless to me as I won't be living in any areas with 5G coverage for the foreseeable future. Are there any other phones I should also consider? I've heard good things about the Oneplus 7T. I'd like a high quality phone - the S8 was my first flagship phone and it lasted a full year longer than any other phone I've had.

My budget is about £499.00.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
The AT&T website is saying that my 2020 iPhone SE can be traded in for $800 for an upgrade, that can't be true can it? That's more than it cost brand new on the day it was released. I called and asked and the guy was cagey about it, like "yes that is correct, however the amount you will be credited depends on the condition of the device" - my phone is in pristine condition, but I can imagine them saying that I actually only get $350 or something after I send it in.

How does this deal work? For 800 I could get a new iphone 12 when it comes out for free, which doesn't seem right for trading in my SE.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

My first thought is 'is this to cover up a product recall gracefully and give people an alternative to insisting on a full cost replacement?'

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Carriers do promos like that all the time. The key thing is that (almost always) you aren't just getting $800 off up front, you're getting it as a bill reduction each month for the next 24 months. If you want to pay off your phone before the full bill credit period, you don't get the full $800 off, ie, if you pay it off after 20 months, the last 4 months of bill credits don't get applied. So it's very similar to how contracts used to be, where you'd pay $200 or $300 and use an upgrade for a $700 phone, but that locks you in to your contract for 2 more years.

Occasionally somewhere like best buy will have a promo where it's a straight up $500 off the price of a phone, no bill credits or anything, but those are somewhat rare in general and usually not direct from a carrier, but from a 3rd party store.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

The AT&T website is saying that my 2020 iPhone SE can be traded in for $800 for an upgrade, that can't be true can it? That's more than it cost brand new on the day it was released. I called and asked and the guy was cagey about it, like "yes that is correct, however the amount you will be credited depends on the condition of the device" - my phone is in pristine condition, but I can imagine them saying that I actually only get $350 or something after I send it in.

How does this deal work? For 800 I could get a new iphone 12 when it comes out for free, which doesn't seem right for trading in my SE.

This is a normal promo, they want to lock you in for the next 2 years.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Ah i see, thanks for the info. I thought it was just an instant credit for the phone but it makes sense that it's locking me in to another couple years.

I've been on AT&T for 10+ years now and don't think I'm leaving any time soon - is it worth it to get this? It would be an iPhone 12 Pro, which is $799 so the $800 promo covers it and I don't think it would cost me anything every month. I assume I would still need to repay the cost of the phone if I left during those 2 years, even though it was "free"?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Ah i see, thanks for the info. I thought it was just an instant credit for the phone but it makes sense that it's locking me in to another couple years.

I've been on AT&T for 10+ years now and don't think I'm leaving any time soon - is it worth it to get this? It would be an iPhone 12 Pro, which is $799 so the $800 promo covers it and I don't think it would cost me anything every month. I assume I would still need to repay the cost of the phone if I left during those 2 years, even though it was "free"?

You should only have to pay whatever is left. You're technically paying off 1/24 of the phone each month, then AT&T credits you that same amount. So if you want to leave after 12 months, you'll owe $400 on the phone.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have a Pixel 1 that's over 3 years old. Accubattery says it has 33% capacity left - 914 mah out of 2770. I work at home so it's not a huge issue but I am worried that's it going to permanently die soon and not hold a charge. I also use Cricket as my cell provider.

I just saw Google Fi's new phone subscription thing. I only need a Pixel 4a since I work at home and don't play games on my phone - just emails, messaging, maps, podcasts etc. I am also considering switching to Google Fi for cell service since I hardly use data (work at home on wifi again)

Question - how does Google Fi compare as a provider compared to Cricket? I live in Springfield, Missouri if that matters.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

I have a Pixel 1 that's over 3 years old. Accubattery says it has 33% capacity left - 914 mah out of 2770. I work at home so it's not a huge issue but I am worried that's it going to permanently die soon and not hold a charge. I also use Cricket as my cell provider.

I just saw Google Fi's new phone subscription thing. I only need a Pixel 4a since I work at home and don't play games on my phone - just emails, messaging, maps, podcasts etc. I am also considering switching to Google Fi for cell service since I hardly use data (work at home on wifi again)

Question - how does Google Fi compare as a provider compared to Cricket? I live in Springfield, Missouri if that matters.

Google Fi uses T-Mobile service , so I would check the T-Mobile coverage map (Cricket uses ATT).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Fi is great if you have good service and don't need too much data. It sucks if it keeps switching to suboptimal networks or you're on the go a lot.

I personally didn't like babysitting my data usage (knowing every MB cost me money) and feel like the service used more data per day than I ended up using on Cricket.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'll start this by saying I travel a lot and need something reliable, I have a LG V40 on ATT prepaid for my personal phone and a Note 8 on Verizon from work. I found coverage to be slightly better with ATT in the continental US. I have decision paralysis and cant figure out what I want for my next phone.

Country/Provider

US primarily and some European and Canadian travel before this pandemic stuff started.
Currently on ATT and am mostly satisfied with my coverage, I have a Vodaphone prepaid sim when I go to Europe for data because it was cheaper.

Current contract status

I switched to prepaid because ATT was charging me an extra $50 to pay at the end vs beginning of the month.

Budget (phone/plan):

I currently pay around $75 a month for unlimited everything, I use a lot of mobile and hotspot data every month (15gb so far on just my personal phone). I don't want to spend more than $700ish on the phone if I can avoid it but will spend about $1k if I have to.

Features I know I want

Storage space and/or expandable storage is my one primary requirement besides a good size screen, I currently have 256 internal 256 micro SD and keep the SD card full. I spend a significant amount of time in airplane mode or out of reach of towers so I keep a lot of music (flac) on my phone and usually have some movies and seasons of some shows to watch when I'm flying.

Currently I have a LG v40 and its showing its age with its battery life and some damage. It has a decent camera and audio chip, I'd like to be able to connect my wired Sennheisers since they work great and never need charging but if I have to I could go wireless. I like not having to plug in a dongle and being able to charge and listen to things plus I'm familiar with android. That said I am almost considering and I-phone for better security/privacy but lose so many features I don't know if I could make it work.

I'm currently considering the phones below and I am open to suggestions, also arguments for and against anything on the list. Thanks for any suggestions or insight anyone might have to offer.
Sony Xperia 5 II (Everything I'm looking for but the price)
LG V60 (carrier locked, also kinda expensive for what it is)
Moto Edge 5G (Looks ok, nothing too fancy)
Note 10/20 (Samsung bloat, probably going to be my next work phone anyway)
I-phone (512gb is expensive, requires dongles, unfamiliar UI)

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
What’s a good deal for a USA/ATT iPhone? I’m currently on a plan with them, not unlimited though. I’m confused by all the payment per month stuff. They tell you retail price for the phone, but not how much it will actually cost. I’m just looking for a cheap replacement for my 4s (shut up, it was free). Poor thing can barely keep a charge for 3 hours, and the screen is popping off. I’m currently unemployed thanks to covid, so the less money the better. I’d get an Android, but all my crap is with iCloud.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Domus posted:

What’s a good deal for a USA/ATT iPhone? I’m currently on a plan with them, not unlimited though. I’m confused by all the payment per month stuff. They tell you retail price for the phone, but not how much it will actually cost. I’m just looking for a cheap replacement for my 4s (shut up, it was free). Poor thing can barely keep a charge for 3 hours, and the screen is popping off. I’m currently unemployed thanks to covid, so the less money the better. I’d get an Android, but all my crap is with iCloud.

I don’t know about deals, but the iPhone SE is the cheapest new phone at $400.

When they give the retail price, the payment plan is that price over either 24 or 30 months. So the SE is $16.66 over 24 months.

If they offer a discount, a discount goes towards that $16 a month.

I would call ATT and ask. It’s possible they have a discount for your account since it’s been so long; but it’s also possible they just say suck it, pay full price.

You can also buy used. Swappa.com is the reliable one (I don’t think there is anything there now but SA Mart itself can too). The iPhone 8 is still a good buy if cheap, and selling for $250ish it looks like.

Personally, for as long as you hang onto a phone, I would recommend the SE over the 8 for that $150, and ATT will at least split it over 24/30 months , but I also get money being tight. Sorry to hear that 😔

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Thank you! I didn’t know about swappa at all, I guess I’m behind the times. Definitely going to buy from them. They sell my current phone for 30 whole dollars.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Domus posted:

Thank you! I didn’t know about swappa at all, I guess I’m behind the times. Definitely going to buy from them. They sell my current phone for 30 whole dollars.

Yeah, it’s like phone nerd eBay. Bit safer than eBay. That said, please don’t buy a 4S lol. Like, I would recommend at least a 8, or I guess a 7. Something that is still getting software updates.

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

Metro by T-Mobile has a promotion and gives the new SE for $50, you just have to switch to their plan for 3 months, which you can get a 2gb plan for $30/month.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
My Pixel 2's camera stopped working after the latest update. I factory reset it and it still doesn't work, which means it's a hardware problem if I understand correctly.

So, I want a new phone, preferably very soon, Android, good camera. Those are my biggest concerns. I don't really care about screen size or games.

Should I pick up a Pixel 4a for $300 + tax, or tough it out for 3 weeks and pay extra for the 4a 5G? It seems like a no-brainer to me—I don't think I'll have 5G coverage for at least another year or two.

In terms of budget, I figure if a phone works a little over a year for $250-$300, it was worth it, so I can always sell the 4a a year from now and pick up something a little nicer. I'm overthinking this, right? Just buy the 4a and be done with it?

(Alternatively, I wouldn't mind hearing if there was a way to fix this god damned camera. I tried everything obvious: safe mode, delete caches, etc. I probably could've gone another year with this thing if it weren't for this.)

edit: country is the U.S., provider is Mint (T-Mobile network)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I'm overthinking this, right? Just buy the 4a and be done with it?

Yeah, sounds like that'd be the go to for ya. The 4a is good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I'm overthinking this, right? Just buy the 4a and be done with it?

Yeah, this.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

(Alternatively, I wouldn't mind hearing if there was a way to fix this god damned camera. I tried everything obvious: safe mode, delete caches, etc. I probably could've gone another year with this thing if it weren't for this.)

Obviously try factory reset and if you're feeling froggy, completely wipe it and reflash the firmware. Hell, go back to the software version before it broke and see if the update did it.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Hell yeah, thank you.

Although I'll look into the firmware thing. I didn't think of that!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Hell yeah, thank you.

Although I'll look into the firmware thing. I didn't think of that!

No worries. If you need help feel free to PM but it's pretty easy and a simple search should walk you through it. Be aware that you can't reflash the firmware without an unlocked version which you might not have if you bought it from the carrier rather than from Google.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I also had a Pixel 2 that got bricked. The bootloader was locked or something so it couldn't even be reflashed. Anroid.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qsvui posted:

I also had a Pixel 2 that got bricked. The bootloader was locked or something so it couldn't even be reflashed. Anroid.

That's Verizon for you.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Help me choose my next phone.

USA

Current contract status:
Monthly Verizon. Unlimited text and talk, 3 GB data cap

Budget (phone/plan):
Any. Phone is most used device, so willing to pay well.

Features I know I want:
Smart Phone
3.5 MM plug for headset
Fast, mostly for internet browsing but also in general
Can be charged via wire
No/limited bloatware that cannot be Uninstalled

I currently have a Galaxy S7 that I have used for about 4 years now. It still works decently well. There is some burn in on the screen, the battery is lacking, and it does have its slow or unresponsive moments. I am growing tired of the Galaxy Store always being on and draining my battery, so that plus removal of 3. 5 MM plug on its latest flagship models makes me want to steer away from Samsung for the moment.

Otherwise, I am open. I use a headset with my phone pretty often in a space that has a lot of wireless interference, so the 3.5 MM plug is a must as long as I can muster. I primarily use my phone for web browsing and Discord chatting, so being able to do those quickly is also a priority. I would prefer to have the option to charge via wire because I have heard it is better for battery health. I would also prefer not to deal with bloatware than cannot be removed or installed. I don't like space and battery hogs that I cannot deal with.

Prelim searches suggest maybe Pixel 4A, Moto Edge Plus, or the Galaxy S10. I've heard mixed things about build quality and customer service for the Pixel, haven't heard anything super specific about the Moto Edge Plus, and the Galaxy I trust but again want to move away from bloatware and a company that is removing the ports going forward.

Point me in the right direction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nordichammer posted:

Help me choose my next phone.

USA

Current contract status:
Monthly Verizon. Unlimited text and talk, 3 GB data cap

Budget (phone/plan):
Any. Phone is most used device, so willing to pay well.

Features I know I want:
Smart Phone
3.5 MM plug for headset
Fast, mostly for internet browsing but also in general
Can be charged via wire
No/limited bloatware that cannot be Uninstalled

I currently have a Galaxy S7 that I have used for about 4 years now. It still works decently well. There is some burn in on the screen, the battery is lacking, and it does have its slow or unresponsive moments. I am growing tired of the Galaxy Store always being on and draining my battery, so that plus removal of 3. 5 MM plug on its latest flagship models makes me want to steer away from Samsung for the moment.

Otherwise, I am open. I use a headset with my phone pretty often in a space that has a lot of wireless interference, so the 3.5 MM plug is a must as long as I can muster. I primarily use my phone for web browsing and Discord chatting, so being able to do those quickly is also a priority. I would prefer to have the option to charge via wire because I have heard it is better for battery health. I would also prefer not to deal with bloatware than cannot be removed or installed. I don't like space and battery hogs that I cannot deal with.

Prelim searches suggest maybe Pixel 4A, Moto Edge Plus, or the Galaxy S10. I've heard mixed things about build quality and customer service for the Pixel, haven't heard anything super specific about the Moto Edge Plus, and the Galaxy I trust but again want to move away from bloatware and a company that is removing the ports going forward.

Point me in the right direction!

Well, the microphone stuff shouldn’t be the make or break. Worst case they make a USB C to mic converter. Spoiler, everyone is removing ports because they can.

Charging via cable or wireless , neither is worse for your battery.

I wouldn’t buy the Edge plus, it’s overpriced for what it is (unless I’m confusing my models).

Pixel 4A is a solid buy and what I would recommend. S10 was good but is too old.