Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
if you are postpaid, att will probably give you a new sim for free, ask on live chat

edit: the pixel 4a supports esim, no? att should be able to allocate you an esim. but unless something has changed that requires you to get a physical qr code on a card because att is terrible at technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
She is post paid with AT&T for probably 10 years now. I will try live chat to see what they can do, thanks.

Edit - I see your updated post. It might be easier for her to buy the phone off Amazon and go the the AT&T store at this point.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I had to change sim formats with my phone when I upgraded and att gave me a replacement sim card in the new format for $5 or so at the att store. Just walked in, no appointment or anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corporate stores should give it to you for free.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So call me crazy, but do you think we will ever see the privacy settings just rolled into ios on android? I am seriously considering switching from google fi and my pixel to an iPhone, just due to the privacy settings.

Or am I just going along with the hype and should probably sit back and see how things shake out?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Which privacy settings. I don't follow phone news much, so I don't know.

I see they did some things with ad tracking across apps and I think they've been rolling some changes into Safari?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Uthor posted:

Which privacy settings. I don't follow phone news much, so I don't know.

I see they did some things with ad tracking across apps and I think they've been rolling some changes into Safari?

Yeah it's the ad tracking stuff that has me interested, which is why I don't think android is ever going to see something like it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'd guess not as all of the ads those apps are serving up are probably coming from Google.

Google is tweaking cookies and their browser, but you bet your rear end it's not going to hurt their ad business while making it harder on their competitors. But at least it's easy to use a different browser.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zil posted:

So call me crazy, but do you think we will ever see the privacy settings just rolled into ios on android? I am seriously considering switching from google fi and my pixel to an iPhone, just due to the privacy settings.

Or am I just going along with the hype and should probably sit back and see how things shake out?

No, why would Google want to destroy their core business?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I'm in the Pacific Northwest US using MetroPCS and am thinking it might be time to upgrade from my Huawei Mate SE that's like 5ish? years old. It still works just fine TBH but there's some screen burn on the right side and I feel like my service has been spottier lately for reasons that aren't immediately clear, I'm guessing it might be due to the phone's age. (also frankly I'm sick of the lack of decent phone cases for the thing since it's apparently a dinosaur in phone years)

I'd like whatever replaces it to be roughly the same dimensions or smaller since my hands aren't super huge :sweatdrop: My main priority is having a good camera/battery life, budget-wise I'm looking to not spend more than $200-300 tops. Really the lower the price the better. I know there's budget phone top ten lists I can reference but figured I might as well ask around here too. I'm currently paying $60 a month for unlimited data through metro, would love to find something cheaper but I'm not sure it exists outside of bundling lines via a family plan

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
are you in a MAJOR city or a 2nd tier city / smaller town / suburbs, and how is service on metro?

t-mobile prepaid is prioritised higher than any mvno like metro on their network, and is $50 for 1 line with 3g hotspot. if you get decent coverage on metro, you will probably want at least band 71 on the next phone you get for t-mobile service.

if you are ultra price conscious on data and potentially in a decent area for it, visible is $25/m for unlimited data. data latency is higher than usual (it will transit through colorado) but i've used about 800-1300GB/month without complaints for $25

Impotence fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 11, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

are you in a MAJOR city or a 2nd tier city / smaller town / suburbs, and how is service on metro?

t-mobile prepaid is prioritised higher than any mvno like metro on their network, and is $50 for 1 line with 3g hotspot. if you get decent coverage on metro, you will probably want at least band 71 on the next phone you get for t-mobile service.

if you are ultra price conscious on data and potentially in a decent area for it, visible is $25/m for unlimited data. data latency is higher than usual (it will transit through colorado) but i've used about 800-1300GB/month without complaints for $25

800GB or more a month? What the hell are you doing on your phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I'd like whatever replaces it to be roughly the same dimensions or smaller since my hands aren't super huge :sweatdrop: My main priority is having a good camera/battery life, budget-wise I'm looking to not spend more than $200-300 tops.

Honestly, I'd look for another $50 and get a Pixel 4a if possible.

If not, I'm reasonably happy with the Moto I got my mom, but it seems like all their offerings have since gone up in price size. And while the camera is fine, it's not great.

Nokia puts out a bunch of budget stuff, but I'm not sure of their sizes.

OnePlus? Samsung A line?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 11, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

800GB or more a month? What the hell are you doing on your phone?

Rotating through WFH hotspots after fibre installer was forced into quarantine by previous day appointment asshat that lied about not being sick. My normal on-device use is under 200GB.

If you want android and are bought into the google ecosystem I'd honestly recommend a pixel, but otherwise...

- The OnePlus 6T is $150 ebay used and comes in a t-mo band version (so works on metro), and is still getting OTA updates (in fact the latest one was this week).
- The OnePlus Nord N10 5G is budget, but decent budget. $50 on metro with port in, locked 6mo. $100-200 on ebay (almost certainly people that bought them from metro then unlocked).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

USA/Verizon
Got a beat up Samsung Galaxy s8 on its last legs and I'm looking for a good replacement before I'm forced to choose.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

USA/Verizon
Got a beat up Samsung Galaxy s8 on its last legs and I'm looking for a good replacement before I'm forced to choose.

Is it broken, and are you both wanting to stay with Verizon and get a new Samsung? I can’t guarantee it, but Verizon pushed out pretty good account level upgrade promos for this month, they’ll (possibly) give you $679 or $799 trade in towards a S21. Onto conditions is you need some kind of unlimited plan, and discount is over 24 months.

If you want me to check for you, feel free to PM , I next work this weekend (but don’t feel obligated).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Is it broken, and are you both wanting to stay with Verizon and get a new Samsung? I can’t guarantee it, but Verizon pushed out pretty good account level upgrade promos for this month, they’ll (possibly) give you $679 or $799 trade in towards a S21. Onto conditions is you need some kind of unlimited plan, and discount is over 24 months.

If you want me to check for you, feel free to PM , I next work this weekend (but don’t feel obligated).

Not broken, and yeah I was gonna stay with Verizon but I'm open to taking a look at the s21.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Looking to buy a new phone(s) before the chip shortage hits really bad. Thinking about a Pixel 5 as a good long term bet, but only willing to consider Android. Really need durability and performance without breaking the bank. Subscribed to a carrier that rides on AT&T and T-Mobile. What should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UnknownTarget posted:

Looking to buy a new phone(s) before the chip shortage hits really bad. Thinking about a Pixel 5 as a good long term bet, but only willing to consider Android. Really need durability and performance without breaking the bank. Subscribed to a carrier that rides on AT&T and T-Mobile. What should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

I’ll say it. You shouldn’t buy because of a chip shortage.

The question is why do you need a new phone?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll say it. You shouldn’t buy because of a chip shortage.

The question is why do you need a new phone?

Because my OnePlus 3T is on it's last legs.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I am from Europe and looking for a unlocked low-mid cellphone for 200 Euro (+-50 Euro) that would be used for talking (rarely), internet when bored, whatsapp and the occasional photo.

So far I've had Motorola sets and was rather happy with them (good built quality, shake for flashlight and turn for camera proved very useful). Last one was Moto G6 Play, which was fine. Not that this broke I am using a Moto E4 and I feel its battery is a little on the weak side. I kind of like its smaller size though, even though my hands are big.

I would like: Android 11, a good battery life, only a few pre-installed apps, sturdiness, perhaps stock android?, perhaps notification led?, perhaps ultra-wide camera?, perhaps 3.5 mm cinch for headphones?, perhaps water-proof?

I don't care so much about : amoled screen, high res display, cool looks, stupid extra UI on top of android, 5g, more than 64 GB storage

My favourites so far:

Motorola Moto G50 (230 Euro directly from manufacturer): It's the brand I know, has a fairly good processor (SD480), 8 nm process should help saving energy, I suppose, but no ultra wide camera, a little pricey for me

Motorola Moto G30 (starting at 160 Euro): Basically the same thing but with an ultra-wide cam, but the processor is only half as fast (11 nm)

Realme 8 Pro: Has a high res amoled screen, better cameras, good CPU, 6/128 GB storage, so why not????

Honourable mentions:

Moto G10: same as mentioned above, but even worse CPU (is it imporant?)

Samsung M12: Also a good battery but bad CPU

I found these on https://www.gsmarena.com/ looking for the latest affordable phones. My question is mostly: Did I miss anything? Thanks.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the best flexible SIM card one can buy in the US for a tourist who plans on staying there for 2 weeks.

Is it still as simple as going to your local grocery store and buying one of the SIM cards there and activating it online? Looking for around minimum 8 GB of data - with that, seems like Simple Mobile plan with 15 GB at $40 is the best bet. Any other suggestions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

What's the best flexible SIM card one can buy in the US for a tourist who plans on staying there for 2 weeks.

Is it still as simple as going to your local grocery store and buying one of the SIM cards there and activating it online? Looking for around minimum 8 GB of data - with that, seems like Simple Mobile plan with 15 GB at $40 is the best bet. Any other suggestions?

Yup, any prepaid SIM will do, most do a 30 day cycle , but best you will find. $40 for 15GB is pretty good.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know cheapest way to get a phone online that literally just powers on, to use with the T-Mobile trade-in plan?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Currently have a Xiaomi Mi A1 which being Android One got updates to Android 9 and security up to last August. I'm looking for something to replace it. I'm in the UK. Looking for something in the £2-400 range. I don't (and won't) use it for gaming at all. I'm happy with my Switch for that.

Thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G or Redmi Note 10 Pro?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Is a Verizon prepaid plan OK with a refurb iPhone XR model A1984 (unlocked, bought from Apple)? I recall the last time I did this with an iPhone 7 only certain model numbers are compatible.

The compatibility checker on the Verizon site requires the IMEI which I won't have until I buy the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

Is a Verizon prepaid plan OK with a refurb iPhone XR model A1984 (unlocked, bought from Apple)? I recall the last time I did this with an iPhone 7 only certain model numbers are compatible.

The compatibility checker on the Verizon site requires the IMEI which I won't have until I buy the phone.

Yeah the 7 was the only model with an issue, the XR will def work fine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So I am apparently an idiot and I left my phone (Pixel 4a) in my swim trunks pocket when I got in a hot tub today. I realized fairly quickly and took it out, and now it's in a mason jar with several desiccant packets. Anybody have odds on how likely it is I'll need to get a new phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

So I am apparently an idiot and I left my phone (Pixel 4a) in my swim trunks pocket when I got in a hot tub today. I realized fairly quickly and took it out, and now it's in a mason jar with several desiccant packets. Anybody have odds on how likely it is I'll need to get a new phone?

Extremely high. Even if it still works now, it’ll likely have problems at some point in the future.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kenning posted:

the only way to save a phone like that is to immediately submerge it in pure (rubbing) alcohol to displace the water so it doesn't corrode when drying.

With any luck you probably bought yourself enough time to transfer files and contacts out!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

the only way to save a phone like that is to immediately submerge it in pure (rubbing) alcohol to displace the water so it doesn't corrode when drying.

With any luck you probably bought yourself enough time to transfer files and contacts out!

Well, pixel 4a probably has contacts and pictures backed up to Google automatically , so hopefully transfer of info isn’t an issue.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread. When is the Pixel 6 going to come out? Will the Google Silicon be a worthwhile improvement? I am interested in Google hardware for the android updates and AI supported features so hoping the Pixel 6 will be a good phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hi!

Smashing Link posted:

When is the Pixel 6 going to come out?

September/Octoberish?

Smashing Link posted:

Will the Google Silicon be a worthwhile improvement?

Probably not. Think about the very first time you did something extremely difficult and complicated and how even by the standard of not knowing entirely what you're doing and having zero experience at it, you still did worse than you expected. It will be like that, except Google has extreme ADHD and a culture and history of failure in hardware manufacturing, so it will be worse than the worst of your expectations.

Either that or it's just a rebranded Exynos which whatever. That means that the best it can be is a little worse than it is now and the worst it can be is worse than you can imagine. Those are the boundaries of potential outcomes.

Smashing Link posted:

I am interested in Google hardware for the android updates and AI supported features so hoping the Pixel 6 will be a good phone.

Me too!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Well thanks for not giving me false hope :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Hi!
September/Octoberish?
Probably not. Think about the very first time you did something extremely difficult and complicated and how even by the standard of not knowing entirely what you're doing and having zero experience at it, you still did worse than you expected. It will be like that, except Google has extreme ADHD and a culture and history of failure in hardware manufacturing, so it will be worse than the worst of your expectations.
this isn't their first silicon, so i'm still hopeful. it would be nice if qualcomm had some real competition

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

this isn't their first silicon, so i'm still hopeful. it would be nice if qualcomm had some real competition

Can't disagree there, but when Qualcomm's monopoly is so strong that the FTC, the agency charged with preventing monopolistic abuses, says that it just can't beat a monopoly so entrenched, well, I doubt Google will do it with the 37 Pixels it sells a year.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Alright, it's time for me to replace my Nokia 6.1 after 3 years of loyal service. The screen is cracked and it appears to suffer from a lack of RAM, storage is also feeling tiny these days.

I don't plan on switching plans or providers as I'm in a pretty decent place as far as monthly costs goes and my provider doesn't really have anything special to offer in terms of phones with a plan.

I'm looking in the low to midrange of phones but my requirements might seem a bit weird: Basically I don't want to downgrade from the 6.1's featureset and specs, which means I'd like a screen that's at least 1920x1080, 5GHz wireless (not 5G) support, NFC and a USB-C port, and preferably Android One or a similar update/upgrade cycle. I was looking at the Nokia 5.4 earlier but that doesn't have 5GHz and a lower-res screen, same for the Moto G9 Power (although that one does have 5GHz), which do fit the budget I have in mind. The Nokia X10 fits the bill but is on the expensive side compared to the other two. Any models I'm missing? I'm in eastern Europe if it matters.

EDIT: Forgot purpose, I'll be using it as a GPS/music player via Bluetooth in the car, webbrowsing, Youtube videos and reading ebooks as well as regular phone tasks. No gaming or anything like that.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What's the conventional wisdom on Pixel 5 vs S21 tradeoffs?

Replacing a Pixel 2 that is fine except for battery not holding charge well anymore

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Well anecdotal but I was having some connectivity issues with my s21u and after a ton of troubleshooting with an actually helpful Mint tech, it's getting shipped to Samsung for service. The Mint rep said he's seen that with a lot of s21 devices.

Now, how much of that is because of something actually wrong with the design / hardware / software, and how much is seeing issues with popular phones because there are just more of them out there, idk.

Overall I'm kind of disappointed in the s21u and I wish I had just replaced the scratched glass on my OnePlus 7 Pro. The cameras on the s21 are better (except for night mode, amazingly -- the 7 Pro has an amazing night mode) but not as much an improvement as I expected. Very very aggressive with smoothing and filtering. The screen is slightly better. The cpu is slightly faster. But mostly it feels like an expensive side grade.

I haven't used the pixel so no basis for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ended up going with a S21 since google store sale made it $200 cheaper than the pixel. Hopefully it doesn't end up having weird problems like yours. (I wish midrange phones came with waterproofing, I'm mostly only getting a fancy one since I've been that goon upthread that took a phone into a pool a few times & been saved by IP68).