Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Crossposting since I seem to have put this in the wrong thread:

You may not believe that someone in this day and age that doesn't live in an agrarian commune can be as ignorant about phones as I am, but it's true.

Anyways, after resisting many years I finally ended up getting a phone, a cheap pre-paid tracfone I got at Walmart. I'm like, 90% sure it's Android, just a really old version that looks nothing like other android phones I've seen (actually I just checked and it says Android 6.0.1). However, these days the battery lasts maybe 30 hours, its screen is all cracked because I'm a clumsy oaf, and it's giving me warnings about low storage space despite the fact I never put anything on it. Combined with a stimulus check, I was thinking now might be the time to get a phone that isn't a piece of poo poo.

I would definitely like to keep the same number, since updating that would be a pain. Ideally I'd like to keep Tracfone as well, since it's cheap and having limited minutes doesn't matter much when I pretty much only use it so people can call me to schedule real life stuff. I have a vague idea that I can do this by transferring the sim card? But I also recall helping my mother when her phone broke (she doesn't seem to accept that being able to fix PCs doesn't mean I'm good with phones) and I recall the people at the AT&T place had a little gadget they used to cut the sim card into a different shape, so I don't know how involved that is?

So goons, please help this luddite learn what I need to do to switch to a new phone, and maybe also recommend what model I should be looking at for a decent combination of performance and price (also sturdy. Sturdy would be good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU