Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CitizenKrang posted:

* Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

* Current contract status:Family Plan w/PDA Personal

* Budget: $150-250 (and i will not be renewing a contract)

* Features I know I want: I need something that I can use to take pictures with and attach multiple pictures to an email sent using Gmail. This is something I do at work all day, so its the most important aspect. The pictures don't have to be of very good quality at all. Also I need to be able to search my Gmail. I'd prefer a QWERTY keyboard, and don't particularly care for touchscreens. I've been using the Cingular 8125 for the past couple of years and its on its last legs. One thing I don't need is GPS. The plan is setup by work, so I can't change that at all. Any suggestions? A coworker has been using the Blackjack II and it seems like it covers all of these bases. Any thoughts?

You're going to be buying used if you want an off-contract phone. There's no exceptions.

I recommend the Motorola Q9h. It's got a QWERTY keyboard and one of the best keyboards out on the market from what I've heard. It has 3G. It has a decent camera. Install the Gmail application on the device so you can search your Gmail.

If you're willing to get away from Windows Mobile then I recommend the Nokia E71. It's better than the Q9h. The camera is much better than the Q9h's camera. It has great build quality. The only problem is that it's going to be a bit tough to snag at $250 and most E71s go for $300. But I'd rather pay more for the E71 than have to deal with Windows Mobile.

Here's a link for the E71.

Here's a link for the Q9h - http://cgi.ebay.com/AT-T-Cingular-M...trkparms=66%3A2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

adamrobertt posted:

Whoops, somehow missed this thread. Sorry! :downs:

Anyway, I'm looking for a new phone. I've decided that I want a slider. I've had pretty much all form factors, and I think I prefer sliders the most. My budget is under $200.

I don't really need a lot of multimedia features - I don't use the internet on my phone, I don't check my email on my phone, I don't use GPS on my phone, etc. I pretty much just make calls, send texts, and the occasional picture message.

I've been looking at the Motorola Z9. It looks pretty nice, and I've seen them for under $200 on eBay. What else is out there? I'm on ATT. Thanks

I'd also go with the Sony Ericsson W760a. It doesn't run the poo poo that the Z9 has called P2K. It's the same stuff that the Razr has.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Grr8 posted:

Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Contract Status: Just locked in for another 2 years - am eligible to upgrade phones

Situation:

Currently only have 200 text messages on my plan, so am upgrading to 1500 since I receive/send a lot of texts. Looking for new phones for myself and my Dad.

Smartphones are $15 a month for data and phones like Blackberry's are $30 a month , so thinking its hard to justify spending $30 a month when all we'll really do is check emails and google a lot.

Liking the look of the Blackberry Bold but the $30 a month data plan is rough, so thinking the Samsung Eternity is a better deal.

We're both Mac Users so trying to stay away from Windows Mobile or anything thats not Mac Compatible. My Dad has a palm pilot he's been using for years and has a lot of information on it, so we were originally trying to find something he could sync that too as a replacement but havent had much luck.

*Looking up reviews I'm really considering both the Samsung Epix and Eternity. Thoughts?

The Epix also requires ATT's $30 data plan for data also. If you want a QWERTY keyboard then look at the Quickfire but I haven't heard too much about it. But aside from that, the Eternity is a good choice.

For your father, look into a Palm Treo 680 unlocked. It runs Palm OS and you wouldn't have to get a data plan for it like you would with buying a Centro from AT&T. The Treo 680 is a thinner Treo 650 without the antenna stub. A Treo 680 runs from around $100-$250 on eBay depending on condition.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Toaster posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / Sprint

# Current contract status: ~2 yrs renewed - paying to cancel contract

# Budget (phone/plan): ~ $150-$200

# Features I know I want:
I currently have the Rumor and i hate it, it has started to fall apart on me in 1 month, the battery doesn't last long at all and the buttons are falling into the phone.
I like how the phone is designed and would like to have a full keyboard phone (slide or not), with a SD card insert, good camera, good service. I was thinking about getting Verizon Wireless since I've heard really good things about them in Massachusetts. Just wasn't sure and decided to ask some goons.
My mother also shares the plan with me and she's looking for a flip phone, simple interface, good camera, good battery, texting capabilities.

If you're going for VZW, then look at the enV2. It's a good phone from what I've heard except the camera is not so great. The LG Voyager is a higher-end version of the enV2 with a 2.8'' touchscreen and a larger keyboard. If you want a smartphone, then look at the Omnia. It doesn't have a full keyboard but it comes with 8 GB of memory and a 5 MP camera.

For your mom, low-end CDMA Samsungs should do. Activate the large text font when dialing and she'll be fine.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

wolrah posted:

• Country/Provider: USA/AT&T now, considering switching
  • Contract Status: Out of contract, monthly
  • Budget: Around $85/mo, less if possible (plan), $600 or less (phone)
  • Features I Know I Want (phone): Only way I'm changing phone is if I'm changing to a CDMA carrier, if so look at the Sony K850i like I currently have and tell me what's similar.
  • Features I Know I Want (plan): Minimal minutes/SMS (used 113 and 95 respectively this month), unlimited data (used 4GB this month), tethering allowed

I'm currently on a 700 minute family plan with my mom and brother. I have 200 SMSes and unlimited data on my line as extras. No phone subsidies ever used in three years with AT&T. They have confirmed that I can transfer my line in to my name and keep my grandfathered status with the truly unlimited data plan versus the 5GB before overages plan that now exists. That plus the basic voice and SMS packages (450min, 200 messages) would be $84.97/mo plus fees/etc.

That said, most of my friends are on Verizon and the 3G data coverage is better on both Verizon and Sprint. I still find AT&Ts to be better where it exists, but I have VZ/Sprint EvDO coverage at my apartment where AT&T only serves EDGE.

I'm not a fan of CDMA networks to begin with due to the BREW platform's silly limits and general tendency of carriers to gently caress with the phone versus the openness of my unlocked unbranded GSM phone, but the coverage is better in my area and at least with Verizon my ratio of free mobile-mobile calls to paid calls would basically reverse, though how much that matters if I only use 1/4 of my minute allocation anyways is questionable.

Right now I do know that the only phone I saw in either Sprint or Verizon's stores that interested me is the same one I almost bought on AT&T, the HTC Touch Pro. I don't know if there are others I may have missed more similar to my Sony as being a feature-laden dumbphone, but as long as the Touch Pro isn't gimped too horribly it would be a possibility lacking any others.

Basically at this point a notably cheaper plan or a better phone are what it would take to convince me. Do I stick with AT&T and take their $85/month plan or is there something better out there?

I'd go with AT&T. The Fuze isn't terribly gimped but you can use it to its full potential by going to xda-developers and getting a ROM. I recommend the Nokia E71 if you don't want the Fuze. It has a full QWERTY keyboard. It has a very slim profile compared to the Fuze. The E71 is the thinnest smartphone on the market at 10mm thick. The E71 has AT&T 3G support and runs S60 which is a powerful platform. The E71 is the closest phone to the Bold right now which I would recommend but you have a good data plan on there currently.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

jassa posted:

My trusty old Nokia 6280 is beginning to fall apart on me, so I'm in the market for one of these new smartphones I keep hearing about.

• Country/Provider: Australia/3 Mobile

• Current contract status: Out of contract, currently on a $29/month cap (+$5 data) which gets me more calls/text/data than I use. I'm happy to stay with 3, but that's not a requirement.

• Budget (phone/plan): No real budget, willing to consider all options. I want to get something that I'll be able to use for a good 2-3 years at least.

• Features I know I want: Good battery, removable storage (mini SD would let me reuse my current card, though I know micro is more common), ability to check gmail, news, etc while on the go. Would be nice to have wifi functionality so I can essentially use the net for free at hotspots and when visiting friends. Qwerty keyboard might be good, though I have fat fingers so maybe something with a stylus would be better? Or both? Something with dual-SIM would be nice as it'd let me get rid of my work phone but I know this isn't a common feature. If I end up on a plan with a free/cheap mobile broadband key thrown in then that would also be good.

Edit: I know most of you are US goons and don't follow Australian phone plans (and how they work) so feel free to ignore all that. I'm more concerned with the phone itself than the plan anyway.

I'd look into the BlackBerry Bold or Nokia E71. These phones are the head of the bar QWERTY with no touchscreen class. They both have Wi-Fi, a QWERTY keyboard, good battery life and support for 16 GB microSD cards which is the highest capacity you can get. The Bold will probably require you to get the BIS plan which is usually more than your average dumbphone data plan. The Bold has a terrific screen which is the best out there.

If you want a touchscreen phone then go with the Touch Pro or Xperia X1. The Xperia is about $200+ more than the Touch Pro. The Touch Pro has a great support community in xda-developers who can keep devices running for a long time. The Wizard is running WM 6.1 so they can definitely extend the life of your device. The Xperia has the superior camera and screen but the keyboard is not up to par with the Touch Pro.

Here's a comparison of the E71 and Bold. - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/12/nokia-e71-vs-blackberry-bold-the-qwertys-rip-each-other-to-shreds/

Here's a comparison of the Touch Pro and Xperia X1. - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/12/11/sony-xperia-x1a-vs-att-htc-fuze-windoze-mobile-gets-exciting/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

jassa posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! That first comparison/review was very informative. If it weren't for the dodgy reception, I think I would have gone with the E71, though now I'm not so sure. I don't really want to have to sign up for a BIS plan or anything, and I do like putting third party apps on my phones, something I wouldn't really be able to do with a Blackberry.

That second comparison uses a HTC Fuze, not a Touch Pro. I couldn't find a Touch Pro review on that site, but I'll look into it more later today (after I sleep). :)

The Fuze is identical to the Touch Pro. It's a Touch Pro that was made for AT&T. You can put 3rd-party apps on the Bold. But there is not as many compared to every other viable smartphone platform that is on the market.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dead Man's Ham posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/Alltel
# Contract Status: Contract ends in 2 weeks, considering changing providers
# Budget: ~50-70 for plan, phone price not really an issue
# Features I Know I Want (phone): fit comfortably in pocket, querty keyboard, minor pda capabilities (mostly some sort of basic spreadsheet app and email checking)
# Features I Know I Want (plan): Some SMS (400-500 msgs a month), 500 mins a month is fine. Data plan - not necessarily unlimited, but unlimited would be nice. Tethering would be badass but not likely in budget.

Im looking at the 500 min Everything Plus Sprint plan with either the Rant or Centro. My main concern is that I have not been able to find specifics on the data plan. I dont believe its unlimited but have not seen hard numbers on how much can be transferred.

If anyone knows the numbers on the everything plus data plan or knows of another better plan by a different provider I would love to hear it.

If you can get the 'new SERO' plan then go for that. There's more info in the Sprint thread. Sprint has a 5 GB data cap but you'll barely reach 1 GB on the Centro.

I recommend the Touch Pro. It has a keyboard and a touchscreen. The learning curve is much steeper than the Centro but once WM is tweaked, it's very powerful.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

jeeves posted:

I have been using one of these for 2 or more years, a SLVR kajigger:

I've simply loved how slim it was, as it keep it in my jeans from pocket. Anything bulkier would really annoy me. However, I want to upgrade to something that has a full keyboard, as my 20 somethings generation seems to do 95% of communication via text message.

I'm on ATT, but I have a long loathing of Apple products due to being in tech support for the last 8 years. It seems like the iPhone is the only thing as slim, but I really don't know if I want to buy into the whole iPhone thing.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm already ATT, would rather not switch to Verizon, and TMobile apparently has poo poo service in my area (Santa Cruz, CA).

Budget is not too much of an issue, as long as it is not over like 300$.

You can go for the Nokia E63 which is $279 brand new but 13 mm thick. Another alternative is the Motorola Q9h. The downside to the Q9h is that it requires a $30 data plan and it runs Windows Mobile. The E63 can be used with the $15 mediaNET plan also. You can also look into a E71 which is a higher-end version of the E63. The E71 feels more luxurious and it's 10mm thick.

The Curve that another poster mentioned also requires a $30 data plan. Steinbeck, there is not a 3G Curve. The only 3G BlackBerry for AT&T is the Bold right now.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Gnuoyiy posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Nextel

Current contract status: expires October '09

Budget (phone/plan): Around $75, willing to go $100 but it's not really important

Features I know I want: Camera, able to recognize who texts come from, maybe i will expand contract to include texting but my current phone does not tell me who texts come from (a very old motorola nextel)

Camera is also not very important but would be nice to have. I don't care what year it is, I just want a pretty durable phone which most nextels already are. Most important things are (from most to least)durability, good battery life, texting capabilities, and affordability. I'm willing to spend $100 max if the jump in quality and effeciency are that much better than a cheaper model. It has to be a Nextel-capable phone! Forgot to mention, will be changing plans when this one expires.

You're looking at the Buzz+ ic602 and the i580. The i580 is $99 on a 2-year contract and the ic602 is $139 out the door and is $99 after a $40 mail-in rebate. The i580 has the better camera at 1 MP to the ic602's VGA camera. The ic602 is priced higher because it also has a CDMA 1xRTT radio for use on Sprint networks. The iDEN radio is there for use of the Nextel PTT service.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mattah posted:

# Country/Provider: UK/ whatever (currently with O2)

# Current contract status: About to expire, currently have a Blackberry Curve

# Budget (phone/plan): 100-150 pounds a month roughly (should be enough to get almost any phone free I would think)

# Features I know I want: 3G, Exchange integration for calendar & email (very important - either built into the OS, or through a 3rd party app), big touchscreen for browsing, proper keyboard with tactile buttons (very much prefer hidden so as to have more room for the screen). I am a mobile engineer constantly on the road, so I send and read lots of emails every day, from three different email accounts. My daily schedule is also entirely on my calendar.

It would be nice if it had support for lots of community applications as well. My ideal phone would be something like an iPhone 3G but with a slider mechanism and hidden keyboard underneath. I really like the idea and look of the Nokia N97, but am unsure as to the OS/independent app. support, and how the email/calendar software will work and integrate. Another option could be the T Mobile G1, but I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics, and would prefer to stay with O2. I have also tried the Blackberry Storm and hate the touchscreen keyboard (ditto with iPhone).

I can wait a little while to get a new phone if the N97 really does look like a winner, but any other ideas before I just upgrade to the next Blackberry model?

Ideas?

Edit: Also had a quick look at the Sony Ericsson Experia(?) a month or so ago. Looked interesting and would like to hear what people think of it.

The G1 can be written off almost instantly due the lack of Exchange support. I would stay far away from Windows Mobile devices due to reliability issues. That excludes the Xperia and Xda Serra (Touch Pro). The N97 is a nice device but e-mail is not as good. S60 is a multimedia platform first. It's bad when you have to deal with more than 10-15 e-mails per day.

I would get the BlackBerry Bold. It's the best business device on O2. The battery life is not quite as good as previous BlackBerrys because of 3G but it is still better than most 3G smartphones. Another alternative is the Curve 8900 but it does not have 3G. The Curve 8900 is thinner and lighter than the Bold but has no 3G. It's a Curve 2 with the Bold insides. The big difference between the 2 devices is whether 3G is important to you.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 19, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Axetrain posted:

I am looking for a new phone and I need some help. I just got out of Navy boot camp and have arrived at my next training station and am trying to decide which phone to get and carrier to go with. I will be stationed near Virginia Beach for the next year or so but afterwards may wind up anywhere in the world. I would like a smartphone that I can browse the internet from and possibly play music from as well. The phone that is catching my eye right now is the iPhone but I don't know much about service plans or what other options for phones I have that compares to that. I am willing to spend 200-300$ on a phone and I will probably need somewhere on the order of 1000 minutes a month. Thanks in advance for any help.

Go with AT&T or T-Mobile. They use GSM which is a worldwide standard. The iPhone doesn't play nice unlocked. If you have your phone unlocked, then you can use it with any GSM SIM card. For web browsing, you can get the $15 MediaNET plan and configure it to work with your phone. My recommended phone would be a AT&T Tilt unlocked. They run from $200-$300 and with SkyFire, you have the ability to view websites like you would with your desktop browser. Music playback isn't high because it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack though. Here's an example of the phone I'm talking about.

Go to xda-developers for tips on the Tilt. They can really help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HTC-ATT-Tilt-Sm...parms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Just gonna throw it out there the the Tilt is just some last-gen slow processor headache of a handset.

Dunno what issues have you on the fence over the iPhone (it works fine in a ton of global GSM markets and Jailbreaking for cheap overseas use with prepaid sims is a no-brainer)

As for other handsets you may consider, try to follow the advice of others as far as signing up for the contract and then selling the subsidized phone for money towards a good unlocked phone.

And bear in mind that going with certain BB handsets or the iphone will offset monthly at&t data plans by about $15/mo.

AT&T data plans are $30 a month if you buy any smartphone from them.

The 1G iPhone is the only iPhone I would use for unlocking. Unlocks are easier to get for the 1G iPhone than the iPhone 3G. 1G iPhones can run from $200 to $350 depending on condition.

I know the Tilt is a bad phone but it is workable with a custom ROM from xda-developers.

Another phone I recommend is the Nokia E71. Buy a BlackBerry Bold and sell it. Then with the profits, buy the E71. It doesn't run Windows Mobile which is terrible. It can work with the $15 MediaNET data plan and you can use it overseas. It doesn't require a special plan like a BlackBerry would.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Belasarius posted:

Dear Cell-Phone Shack,

What is the cheapest and best used or cellphone I can get that is compatible with T-Mobile? My first instinct was to get the cheapest phone, which looks like motorola f3 unlocked for about $30. Then I noticed people were selling first generation smartphones for about $50. I am currently out of contract
but for what are amusing and embarrassing reasons I'm stuck on tmobile for a few more months. I won't sign another contract. So all in all I want a smartphone for about $80 or less. I'm willing to hack it up do whatever, is this doable or a pipe dream?

My backup phone (8700) was acquired for $30. If you want data on it, add the $24.99 BlackBerry Internet/E-mail plan. But make sure you get the 8700g version because only that one works on T-Mobile (there are unlocked 8700c models out there but they cost more.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Belasarius posted:

Thanks, is there possibly anything I could get with 802.11?

Not at that price range. If you're a masochist, then get the T-Mobile Dash. WM is a big bag of hurt.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pixelated posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

# Current contract status: hitched on for another two years, but willing to pay full price for phone.

# Budget (phone/plan): ~$200

# Features I know I want: Flip style phone, Bluetooth, The ability to use my own ringtones, camera, being able to withstand throwing it or having something else in my pocket.

I went through 2 Nokia 6133s in under a year, first one I stepped on(not paying attention), second one I cracked both of the screens by having a screwdriver in my pocket. I've since defaulted back to my indestructable little Samsung E335 that has basically been beat to hell but still works perfectly and looks ok to boot.

I was looking at the Samsung flips that T-mobile offers, the'yre all ugly and have idiotic key layouts, but I was curious about the durability, and also using my own ringtones because I know T-mobile likes to mess with that.

Basically I want something I want something that's really hard to break. If t-mobile has nothing, I'm willing to look for something used.

Edit: May consider a slider

The Nokia 5610 seems like the phone for your needs. It can use its own ringtones, and it has a good camera to boot. The camera is the third best cameraphone T-Mobile offers after the Zine and Behold. Another option is a BlackBerry Pearl Flip but you need the data plan ($24.99 for Internet and 400 texts) to take full advantage of it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hamelin posted:

Country / Provider : US / MetroPCS

Current Contract: N/A

Budget: ~200 dollars (maybe more)

Features: Full QWERTY keyboard, CDMA network (for MetroPCS). Not one of the ones that slide open and turn horizontal.

I have a iPhone that I'm getting rid of that won't work with PCS and I can't go back to T9 after using it for so long.

Being on MetroPCS is a terrible idea. There's going to be a Curve 8330 but since there are no contracts on MetroPCS, the slated price for the device is $449. But it will only be in the Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Dallas, Atlanta, Sacramento, and San Francisco markets because those markets are not on AWS.

Seriously, go to Sprint and get the EPRP plan if you want a good deal. Sprint doesn't suck as much and they have a decent selection of phones.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

dur posted:

* Country/Provider: US/Minnesota, leaning towards AT&T

* Current contract status: None whatsoever

* Budget (phone/plan): Maybe $150 for my phone, as cheap as possible for the plan

* Features I know I want: Camera, the ability to put my own ringtones on it would be nice (don't a lot require that you buy them from the provider? i dunno), good battery life, small form factor

Basically I've been on the family plan for years, paying $10 a month to my parents for it. They're dropping us at the end of the month, and now my girlfriend and I have to get our own plan. Between the two of us, we've used 15 text messages and about 900 minutes over the last 3 months. I can get a discount on an AT&T plan through my employer, so I'm leaning towards them, but with the plan I'm looking at (550 minute 2-line family plan, $59.99/month) it's only a $5/month discount, so if there's anything cheaper, I'd be open to it.

As for the phone, I've had a Motorola V710 for about three years and I'm sick of its stupid antenna, lovely battery life and slow, stupid UI. Girlfriend has had some Nokia brick for about 4 years. She'd be happy with drat near anything that has a battery that lasts more than half an hour and is cute. I like the looks of some of the LG Incite (wifi is cool too), but I'm really afraid of buying another phone I'll hate.

Any AT&T smartphone will require you to get a $29.99 data plan. The Incite sucks anyways because of Windows Mobile.

The Samsung Eternity is $149 AR. It has a good camera. But you'll be paying $199 at the store. If you don't want to go with the Eternity, then go with the Sony Ericsson W760. It's better than the Shine. The W760 should be fine for your girlfriend also but the Shine is an alternative also.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CancerCakes posted:

* Country/Provider: UK Vodafone

* Current contract status: Finishes Tomorrow

* Budget (phone/plan): http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/catalog/voicePlanDetail.jsp?skuId=sku300023 £25 per month plan, reduced from £35. 600 mins, unlimited texts. Looking to get it reduced from 18 months to 12 months since I plan to stay with Vodafone.

* Features I know I want: Good camera, my digital camera broke around a month ago and I want something that can come close to replacing it. Also durability is a major factor here, something that doesn't mind being dropped would be nice. Ease of texting is a bonus, I have heard that a lot of the touch screen phones I am looking at are not so good for that.

The phones I am looking at are:

Nokia N96
Samsung Omnia
LG Renoir (although currently not availiable on vodafone)
Staying away from sony ericsson, had two of them previously and I hate the charger design, among other things.

So which of these is durable but has a good enough camera and flash to match(ish) my old 5mp digital camera.

I wouldn't mind being able to use it as a true PDA aswell, do anyof these have handwriting apps like palms?

Thanks for any help!

The N96 actually has a worse camera than the N95. The Omnia's camera is about as good as the N95. It's a shame that you don't want Sony Ericsson because the C905 is the best cameraphone on Vodafone's lineup. The Renoir also has a nice camera. I would go with the Omnia because I hate T9 for text entry. But if not and you can't stand Windows Mobile, go with the N96.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Comfortador posted:

Alright I'm looking for advice. My contract with sprint is up in 8 days, and I'm trying to figure out what my best plan of attack is.

I like Sprint, but if the grass is greener I'll consider another company.

My work gets me a 22% discount on pretty much any of the main service co., and the plan is to get a nice phone and get the Everything Data plan if I stick with Sprint.

I'm trying to decide if I want something like the Instinct, or a blackberry or something. I want a good internet browser, but I'm also interested in things like GPS, MP3 playing perhaps (if I don't get an ipod)

I'm also hearing that the Palm Pre that's coming out is supposed to kick rear end. Should I just wait a little to see if that's nice, or is there something out now that will satisfy me?

Thanks for your input.

Sprint does not any 4.6 BlackBerry so the web browsing is going to suck. I would wait for the Pre in your case. If you need a phone now, then get the Touch Diamond (no keyboard) or Touch Pro (keyboard). Both are good devices with good web browsers (Opera Mobile 9.5).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sobriquet posted:

First of all, thanks in advance to anyone that helps or even bothers to read this! Some phones I have looked at so far are Blackberry Curve 8320, Pearl 8120, and some of the HTC touch models.

Country/Provider: US/AT&T - I'm also hoping to use this phone in Germany with prepaid SIM for three months, unless there is a better/cheaper way to have a phone there.

Current Contract Status: I'm on an AT&T Family plan. At the store they said I am eligible for "upgrade pricing" (I assume this is for contract renewal) in March. My parents manage the plan, and will likely renew the contract when it runs out. Assume I have no control over this.

Budget: I would like to spend $300 or less on the phone, including unlocking it if I need to. I don't know what the exact pricing on our plan is - right now I have no data service but we all have unlimited texting. I assume unlimited data will add about $30/month to the plan and I can accept that.

Features:
I want a PDA or "smart" phone. The OS doesn't really matter to me, but I would like access to email/Google calendar/internet. WiFi would be a big plus.
Right now I have a Nokia 6030, so I have no experience with any phone keyboards - this means I am open to a full QWERTY, a small-form keyboard, or a touch screen. I like the idea of a touch screen because they seem to be smaller/thinner but just as functional (I'm thinking of Touch Diamond vs Touch Pro here). I tend to prefer "candy bar" phones over flippers and twizzlers.

I am willing to go with a slightly older or used phone to save money. I do not care about watching video or taking pictures, but some cheap built-in camera would be a bonus.

The BlackBerry Bold would be the best phone but it's $399 before the $150 mail-in rebate. The Samsung Epix seems like the device for you. It has Wi-Fi, a front-facing QWERTY and touchscreen. The camera isn't good but it's a cell phone camera. The Epix is $299 out the door and there's a $100 mail-in rebate.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

parasyte posted:

Country/Provider: AT&T in California

Current contract status: Unsure. This is my girlfriend's phone and she's on her family's plan, not interested in getting her own contract as she's not currently making enough.

Budget (phone/plan): Around $150 at most

Features I know I want: None. It's not really important what it has. Currently she has a lovely RAZR that is behaving abnormally in all sorts of ways and I want to get pretty much anything better for her. Looking for something cheap that'll work with her SIM and have bluetooth, which I imagine any reasonably recent GSM phone will have.

She's not too keen on a candybar or a slider.
I was thinking of something like this, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Sony Ericsson flips are good choices such this. You can also go with a Nokia such as this. Both of them are a bit fat (23mm thick for the Nokia, 24 for the Sony Ericsson.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Anything but the Storm. Really.

It's really "pick your evil." Go with the Storm which has SurePress which absolutely sucks to type with or Windows Mobile. Resistive touchscreens suck compared to capcitive. I would rather go with the Storm. It is getting better with OS updates. You can't fix Windows Mobile with OS updates.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SamuraiPaul posted:

I guess my main qualm is that all smartphones are candy bars, also I fear I would find myself using the internet even more than I already do. Mostly the candy bar thing, I want to be able to have my phone sit in my pockt without pocketdialing anyone or the screen getting scratched, I tend to walk with quite a few art supplies in my pocket or such so I don't want to have to worry about babying the thing. and since I only want to use about 3 of a smartphones many features (talking/texting/gps) I don't really see why I should get something for 300+.

however, if I did have one and could use it to stream something like one of my favorite internet radio stations like http://woxy.com then that'd be tits.

The BlackBerry Pearl Flip is a flip smartphone. I have never had a problem with my Curve unlocking itself on its own but it's a pain when you forget to lock your phone. The Pearl Flip is $49 after a $100 MIR on a 2-year contract with T-Mobile.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

It's been hell finding a phone to fit my needs. Can you help me goons?

# Country/Provider: Canada or US

# Current contract status: N/A

# Budget (phone/plan): 300 and below for phone, 100 and below per month

# Features I know I want: I'm a student in Canada who is up from Seattle. I'm looking for a phone that I can use year round both in Vancouver AND Seattle without getting poo poo on by roaming. I'd like to have internet access, enough to check my email and facebook as well as respond to mail. I want voicemail and a good texting plan.

If this is NOT possible, then a canadian phone w/ internet (email/facebook), texting, voicemail and 500+ mins a month. Most of my calling is nights/weekends.

An unlocked phone such as an N or E-series phone from Nokia should fit your needs. BlackBerrys suck if you're not going to pay for a data plan. Also, only Rogers has a BlackBerry plan. Fido has one but I haven't heard on how it's working. So go with an unlocked E or N-series phone which means you can't buy a Rogers E71 for example. The plan I can't really help you with but the N79 or N85 should fit your needs, it's just whether you prefer bar or slider phones. If you do lots of texting, then go with the E71 for its QWERTY keyboard.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

# Country/Provider: T-Mobile/US

# Current contract status: 8 months into a 1-year contract, but going unlocked

# Budget (phone/plan): $350

# Features I know I want: I am unhappy with my BlackBerry. I'm doing battery pulls every 6 hours. I used to get a week of uptime with this phone. I am willing to go to a Curve 8900 or Bold however. It is also sluggish. Try Slacker. It sucks for Slacker, you can't even move the trackball when songs start playing because of the hourglass. I am willing to wait a few months since I have an 8700 for a backup phone, it's not bad.

I'm looking for a good camera, stability, and preferably a QWERTY keypad. I also want Word document editing. I've been looking at the E71 but the camera is not so great. The N85 also looks interesting, but since I do a lot of messaging (2000+ e-mails and IMs), I don't know how I'd adjust to T9. From my experiences, I would rather use a touchscreen keyboard than T9. The phone is going to last at least a year because T-Mobile isn't getting 3G phones out in a timely manner.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

pompy posted:

Alright here's my deal:

My company is paying for my calling plan. So it HAS to be Verizon. Right now they have me using some piece of poo poo water proof casio garbage. I don't know why.

Anyways, I can buy my own Verizon phone, my budget is around $300. I want qwerty, and I want to e-mail and that kind of stuff. I don't need to browse the 'net or anything, just lots of e-mail and msging etc. I don't know much about phones.

Please help!

If your company is paying for the data plan, then look at the Touch Pro or Curve 8330. Even though the Curve is a bit old, it's got a great keyboard and BlackBerrys are the king of e-mail. The Touch Pro is a nice device but Verizon crippled it a little bit. But I recommend the Curve. Also when you get your phone and before you activate it with the BES, upgrade to the 4.5 OS. It's like having a new phone. Go to the CrackBerry forums and install the latest OS for the 8330 with the instructions provided there.

If you can wait to May, go for the 9630. It's nearly the perfect BlackBerry. It's a little bit larger than the 8900, but it has the Bold's keyboard and the improvements of the 8900 (camera, slightly better screen.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

who's your crawdaddy posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Contract finished this month

# Budget (phone/plan): Pretty flexible here

# Features I know I want: Slim phone, and texts

I am pretty much in the exact same boat as jeeves who posted a few pages ago. My motorola slvr has bitten the dust and I want another slim replacement. Except I don't care about a qwerty keyboard.

He ended up deciding on a Nokia E71 and I'm looking at those but I'm wondering if I can get something thinner if I sacrifice the full keyboard and any other features besides calls and texts.

Any recommendations?

The E71 is as thin as you get. It's only 10mm thick! It's 2mm thinner than your Slvr. Get the E71. It's a great phone.

I'd get the unbranded E71 so you can use data at $15 a month instead of the E71x's $30 a month for data.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Spatule posted:

I can't stand using a smartphone alone, because I need to be able to access the agenda WHILE SPEAKING.
So I'm looking for a decent smartphone/PDA that is very compact (thickness is key), and a basic compact cellphone with good handsfree calling or easy to push/recognize by touching buttons. Both with awesome battery life, and if possible usb charging like my old GPS PDA ?

I'll buy it independantly from any carrier or whatever, price is not important.

Go for AT&T and the Bold. You can do simultaneous voice and data with GSM 3G. The Bold is also a great phone. You can also try the iPhone 3G, but the Bold is better for business. The Bold is suited towards getting things done.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

who's your crawdaddy posted:

What does unbranded mean?

Will I be able to pop my sim card into this and it will work?

Unbranded means you won't have to deal with the AT&T crapware of the E71x. You can also use the $15 MediaNET plan instead of the $30 smartphone data. You'll be able to pop your SIM into that and it'll work.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Is there a way for me to find out who has better/faster 3G coverage in the Tampa area?

Only AT&T's 3G will work with your Bold. Also, I'd get an unlock code from the carrier that you're with so you can use your Bold with AT&T. T-Mobile will still work with your phone, but you'll be using EDGE instead of 3G.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

3G is way faster, right?

Yeah, 3G is fast compared to EDGE. If you have EDGE right now with your Bold (it will say EDGE in the upper right corner if you have only EDGE), then the speeds will be roughly the same on T-Mobile. But with 3G, you may get at least 5 times the speed of average EDGE.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TiCK posted:

Country/Provider: USA, no provider preference. Something that works great in Texas.

Current contract status: None.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone, under $500. Plan, under $150.

Features I know I want: Smartphone with camera, video, GPS, ability to easily transfer data onto/off of the phone. Do phones use USB? I need to be able to drag and drop mp3s onto the phone to use as ringtones or download pictures and video from the phone onto my computer. I want to be able to get a phone that I can put applications on and off at will, for free. I want to easily be able to browse the internet, watch video, read and send email. Looking cool would be a bonus as would a screen that is covered or something so it doesn't get scratched to poo poo in my pocket with my keys.

I don't even know if anything like that exists. I really want a portable computer shaped like a phone, really. Anything that locks me out of it or doesn't let me easily transfer files isn't acceptable.

I'd take the Sprint EPRP plan which is $60 for unlimited everything if I recall correctly. More info in the Sprint thread. With Sprint, get a Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is the closest device to "mobile PC in your pocket" on the market. It'll use USB file transfer plus WM can do nearly everything.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sanskrit Scat posted:

* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon

* Current contract status: Just got a new 2 year contract, trying to upgrade from the free lovely phone they gave me. On my dad's family plan...he gets a 25% discount from work.

* Budget (phone/plan): Touch screen preferably, GPS, Solid camera, Cool enough features ...

Basically I think it's down to the Dare, Voyager, Omnia, or mayyybe the Saga...even though I don't really want to pay 30 a month for WinMo.

Does anyone know if the Evoke will be released on Verizon? If so, I might bite on that.

The GPS is going to be locked down on the Omnia at at firstand you're going to have to upgrade the ROM on the Omnia to unlock the GPS. You're going to have to pay for VZ Navigator on the other devices to use GPS. I would get the Dare since you don't want to pay for the $30 smartphone plan. It does have a good camera. The Dare is Verizon's best touchscreen feature phone still.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: Up in August of this year, NE2 eligible for $50 now.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to stick to my current plan, since going cheaper doesn't seem possible. I'm probably willing to spend up to $150 after the other discounts.

Features I know I want: Text messaging, including MMS as well. I'd like some media capability, music and video playback if possible - specifically video playback that allows me to put my own videos on the phone. A touch screen would be neat, but really I just don't want a super ugly phone. I might want Navigator, I can't really decide if I want to pay for it again though (my current phone, through some fluke, has access to VZNavigator for free).

I've narrowed it down to two candidates at this point, but I'm still up in the air, even over staying with Verizon. I'm looking at either the LG Dare ($119 after discounts), or the Samsung Omnia ($149 after discounts). As far as I can tell, the Dare doesn't have any kind of video playback like what I mentioned above. The Omnia, with WM6.1 and Mobile Media Player seems like it might be able to grant that wish. It also has a bigger number next to the camera, though I don't know if that actually translates into a better camera. My Chocolate's 1.3 MP camera takes better pictures than my old v710's of the same resolution, so just from that I know not to just take the MP rating at face value.

And then there's the other option, switching carriers (I could also just wait until the contract runs out, continue using my phone, and trim down my usage to save money, but that's kind of boring...) I don't know much about the other carriers (I would probably go to T-Mobile or at&t), other than the coverage is probably more than adequate with either, as I live near Hollywood.

I currently pay a little less than $60 a month, for 450 minutes (unlimited IN calling), 500 Text/MMS (unlimited in network), and uh, free navigation. I use probably less than 100-125 talk minutes a month TOTAL, so the voice plan really doesn't matter. I also could probably cut messaging down, I don't think I send/receive more than 250 a month total, though the phone deletes them automatically at some arbitrary message count, so its a bit tough to log my usage. I don't use VZNavigator daily or anything, but it definitely has been handy in a pinch many times. I somehow survived without it before, so I think I could lose that functionality if it meant saving a little $.

If anyone has a recommendation for a plan on the other networks, I'm interested in that too. I also know bupkiss about GSM phones, what's out there, how exotic can I get, etc, so a phone recommendation similar to my two choices/wanted features above would be appreciated.

This is super long. Yikes.

Check out the Sprint EPRP plan. There's more details in the Sprint thread but I believe it's $55 for unlimited everything from what I recall. With that, get a Pre if it works with the EPRP plan which it should. If the Pre doesn't work with EPRP then get the Touch Pro. The Pre is shaping up to be a great phone. It's going to cost a little more than $150 but the Pre is certainly worth it.

With GSM you can use any unlocked GSM phone. Just insert your SIM card and you're ready to go. You can use some of the Nokia S60 phones and you can choose to use the N97 if you're willing to pay the arm and a leg for it. T-Mobile's 3G is sparse and only 1 phone can take full advantage of it right now (G1.) But there are more phones coming that should be able to take advantage of it such as the HTC Magic which is coming to T-Mobile as the G2 or the Huawei Android phone with a specsheet of a 5 MP camera, 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and a 3.5mm jack. It won't have a physical keyboard. On AT&T you can use any phone with 850/1900 3G. The best phones supporting that 3G band are the BlackBerry Bold, the iPhone 3G and the Nokia E71. The E71 will only run you $15 for data. I'd rather go with the EPRP plan for the value it offers even with the allure of GSM.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, AT&T IS selling the Fuze. Not a bad option if you see yourself on AT&T for at least another year or two.

If not, wait til August and jump over to Sprint for the Touch Pro (coverage permitting).

Why would he want to jump to Sprint for the same phone? The Fuze and the Touch Pro are the same phone except with CDMA and GSM radio differences. Unless you mean for the EPRP plan and the Pre should be able to work on it. So the Pre would be a better choice than the Touch Pro even if he did jump to Sprint and it worked on the EPRP plan.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nublington posted:

Hey, I'm looking to buy a new phone, hopefully replacing my old mp3-player aswell. Price can go pretty high as long as it's a good value, let's say <$700.

Here's a short list of functions graded after relevance to me:

1. GPS, I'm not so tech-savvy but if you don't have to be online while using it that'd be a plus.
2. Dictionaries, graphing calculator, text editor, perhaps even console emulators? I really don't know what's available.
3. Mp3-player (long battery life and good audio quality is vital!), support for memory sticks
4. Video player
5. Internet, camera.

I'd be thankful for any suggestions :)

EDIT: Looking at the HTC Touch HD, seems like a pretty solid choice, probably gonna go with it.

If you really need that memory card support, then I think a Touch HD would be best. The iPhone 3G is really your best choice. It'll do everything you want in the apps category. You can do voice navigation GPS with xGPS which is a jailbreak app. Console emulators can be done with a jailbreak. The iPhone 3G is the best music player and it's also a good video player. The Internet browser is great. The camera is passable but you need good light for it to work well.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Florida Betty posted:

I already have a primary phone for the US, I just need something for traveling that I won't mind losing. I don't need anything fancy. So all I need to look for is 900/1800, unlocked, and GSM? I'm sorry I don't know anything about this at all, but thanks for your help.

The 1208 only supports US frequencies plus it would be locked to T-Mobile. Get a phone like this. It's a quad-band unlocked GSM phone. Motorola can make junk phones but you said you don't really care about the phone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

dr gumby posted:

# What provider you're with, if you already have phone service

Going with Vodafone Australia

# What features are must-haves and what features you'd like to have

Office functions, support for exchange email, wi-fi, voice, text, a screen

# If you've seen any phones that strike your fancy, so we know what kind of design you want

I'm tossing up between the Nokia E75 and the iPhone. I've just got a Touch and really enjoy Apple's touch interface (particularly text input... I use it to handwrite Mandarin), however lack of a free document editor and poor reviews of the iPhone's battery life are of concern. Apple's ongoing software support and the app store is a plus.

As for the E75, I haven't had a chance to get my hands on it, but I am concerned the slide-out keyboard will be a little clunky. Add to that the lack of touch screen UI and small screen size, and it is enough to give me second thoughts.

Essentially I want something that is easy to type out email on, as well as being easy to use to read and edit office documents and pdf files.

Any thoughts?

Think about the Touch Pro. It's got a large slide-out keyboard which is comfortable to type on. It's got Mobile Office which is good. The Touch Pro does have WM which has its own little quirks but look into the Touch Pro thread for ways to improve the device. Installing a custom ROM is a big help. You also have handwriting recognition with the Touch Pro because it has a resistive screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Magnum1371 posted:

Budget: $500 US
Phone Features: Compatibility with many bands, qwerty keyboard, SIM slot, GPS OR able to run TomTom.

I get thrown all over the place whilst in the employ of DoS, so maximum compatibility is a must. The majority of my coworkers use a Blackberry of some flavor, but I'd prefer something more pocketable, like the T-Mobile G1.

The mandatory minimum requirements are listed in the Phone features. But the more bells and whistles, the merrier.

I have no plan or phone as of now due to my traveling status. But when I do decide to stop playing international leapfrog I want to be able to use the phone in SoCal on a decent plan with good rates on texting. (Which should be loving free anyway :argh:)

The G1 isn't as pocketable as a BlackBerry because it has the Jay Leno chin and the slide-out keyboard makes it fatter than the Bold.

I'd take the Bold. It's got the best QWERTY on the market. It has quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G support. It also has the ability to run Garmin software with its GPS. The 8900 is a smaller version of the Bold but it comes without 3G. Other alternatives are the Nokia E71. Get the NAM version of the E71 because it comes with support for AT&T 3G. The E71 is also the thinnest smartphone available at 10mm thickness. The build quality on the E71 is also better than the Bold.