Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

Country/Provider: United States / Verizon

Current contract status: I signed a two year contract on July 13, 2012. Verizon currently says I'm "month to month". I have no idea what that means. I am eligible for an upgrade.
I pay 62.00 + $9.00 charges/taxes for 2GB, 450 Min, and no texts ($.20 per text).

Budget (phone/plan): Close to what I pay now.

Features I know I want: My GS3 is on its last legs. The LG G3 looks tempting, but I want to wait until more reviews come out before I make decision. I don't text enough to justify adding $10 unlimited texts, but if there was a VZW comparable plan data and minutes wise that included texts I'd take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

I have a Verizon LG G3 that broke so I'm going to get a Moto G+ and join my parent's AT&T family plan.
After I get the phone is the easiest way to activate it is to go to an AT&T store and get a SIM card there and have them port over the Verizon number?

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Thanks.

As a non-gamer it looks like the 2GB G+ will be fine, any reason to pay the extra $70 for 4gb?

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Uthor posted:

My Nexus 5x has 2GB of RAM. Music playing in the background is no problem, though I sometimes lose the notification controls. It's super annoying as things like switching to a new tab and back in Chrome will force a refresh (especially if it means losing your position in the first page on sites like Twitter). Or, just now, went from the Awful app, to Chrome, to Messenger, and back to Awful where it had to refresh.

I'd love to have at least 3GB.

I went with the 4gb which was $70 more. I'm going to save $40/month on my plan so why not.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Hello Thread - Hopefully some easy questions:

My mom has a Galaxy S3 which is on its last legs (not surprisingly). She's asked me for help with buying her a new phone and getting it setup (she has AT&T). I haven't shopped for a new phone in about 5 years myself so I have some questions.

She doesn't need a high end phone, and since her old phone is 8 years old, pretty much anything will be light years ahead of the S3. She wants to stick with an Android phone and spend around $300-400. It looks like the Pixel 4a is a solid phone and in her price range. Primary use will be phone calls, texting, email, taking pictures/video, and web browsing. A battery that lasts through the day is also a plus. The Pixel may be a bit overkill, but its got solid reviews and meets her needs so I'm going to go with that unless there's a much better option.

So here's where I need a lot of help. She wants to transfer her contacts, texts, pictures, etc over to the new phone. It looks like AT&T has a tool to do this, but her S3 is on Android 4.4 and the tool needs 5.0 or later. Is it correct she can go into the system settings, back up the phone and then once she gets the new phone, import her profile (with her contacts, texts, etc) from the old phone to the new phone?

The last time I got a phone I went to the AT&T store to get it activated. My mom and I are trying to stay home as much as possible due to covid so we're trying to avoid going to the store if possible. Is going to the store still necessary or can the phone be activated at home?

Thank you!

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Thank you all for the info. Sounds like moving over photos and email will be pretty easy. Texts and contacts may be trickier but she really doesn't have that many so worse case we can manually add her contacts.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

maltesh posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the Galaxy S3 uses a micro SIM, which would require trimming to fit the Pixel 4 Nano SIM slot.

Shoot you're right, the S3 uses micro and the Pixel 4 uses nano.

If I don't want to trim the micro sim, can I buy a nano sim off Amazon? Will that let her keep her same number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

She is post paid with AT&T for probably 10 years now. I will try live chat to see what they can do, thanks.

Edit - I see your updated post. It might be easier for her to buy the phone off Amazon and go the the AT&T store at this point.