Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Roneth posted:

Country/Provider: United States/Verizon

Current contract status: 2 year contract just came up as of yesterday.

Budget (phone/plan): No budget for phone. Planwise, I only need minimal minutes because I text alot. Unlimited data would be sweet too.

Features I know I want: Hardware keyboard, Good size screen for browsing and stuff. Would also like to gently caress around with apps and stuff like that. Not a big fan of the iphones though.

When I got notification that my contract was up and could renew with a discounted phone, I immediately went to see what I could get. I can get the android for $149 from Verizon, but they would require me to switch to a smartphone plan to use it. These nickel and dime plans would raise my monthly bill by more than two times. Yes, I know that getting a smartphone will raise my bill no matter what because of data and stuff, but Verizon's pricing just seems loving ridiculous to me.
I am completely willing to switch providers, and Sprint is looking pretty nice. I'm assuming that they will someday come out with a phone that will own Verizon's Android, and I'm willing to use something else until then (Altho I'm sure that Sprint has good phones already). I'm just tired of Verizon's prices really. And that they finally came out with a phone I want, but want to completely rape my wallet monthly for it.

*Disclaimer I sell Sprint

I agree that either Sprint or TMobile is the way to go. Both have much lower plans because A. they dropped the retarded $20 a month for unlimited texting and B. they vastly lowered their data plans. I actually carry TMo and Sprint still (HTC G1 and BBerry Tour), since I have a sprint employee plan i pay next to nothing.

If you don't want to sign a contract, go with TMo they are the only provider who has this option. You can get an Android phone for $500 (or split onto the billing at $20 a month) with $79.99 for unlimited everything, no discounts.

Sprint with contract you can get the Moment or Hero at $179 (after $100 mail in rebate) with the Everything Data plan of $69.99. Plan includes unlimited calling to any cell phone (verizon, att, sprint whatever), unlimited text, unlimited data, navigation, etc. 450 mins for calling landlines, nights/weekends at 7pm. You CAN get a discount on this plan, which is what makes it that much cooler.

Coverage for TMo and Sprint are of course not as good as Verizon Coverage. It isn't bad, i don't have many if any problems traveling (both roam at no extra charge) but i would check your coverage.

Any questions just let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Country/Provider: USA - Northeast Virginia / anyone

Current contract status: out of contract month to month bottom tier voice & texting AT&T

Budget (phone/plan): $60/month

Features I know I want: broadband access for a netbook & bottom-tier voice and texting.

What happened to the $30 unlimited data broadband plans of a year ago? It looks like the Big 4 in the US all run a $60/month 5gb max plan. Cricket says it'll do it better and cheaper everywhere in the US besides Virginia. :saddowns: $60 a month is twice what I pay for phone service. It looks like Alltel was running an unlimited package but in my area Verizon has eaten them.

Are there any other options? I don't need a new phone per se but if it's necessary for a tethering solution, then sure I guess.

There is no cheap broadband plan. Cricket's Broadband card seriously sucks in that Cricket coverage sucks, it wont roam either, so that's why it is $40 a month.

The big 4 are ALL $59.99, 5GB cap, 2 year contract. No way around it. This is the one time Verizon has the best price, deal and coverage.

Now for tethering you can get certain smartphones and tether them. Phone companies tech charge $15-30 a month on top of data plans, but for certain phones you can sneak around it. Depends on coverage in your area, TMobile is the easiest to do this on but i doubt they have 3G in your area.

I pay bout $65 a month for my TMobile, unlimitedf data, texting, 1000 mins and I have tethering on my Android G1 (Tmobile doesn't know).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Will Verizon or Sprint let me rock a Mifi and a USB broadband dongle on the same account for that $60?

I wish the GSM Mifi would come out already so I could just swap a SIM back and forth.

No. It would be like having 2 phones on one phone number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Why would you not recommend EPRP over Everything Data? More minutes, less cost.

Because I have not known of its existence. I sell Sprint, but i work for an indirect store, so i can't sell that plan so i have not known of it. Checking it out over on the Sprint plan, obviously if you can get it great.

@Nate Fisher the problem is you just resigned contracts. Did you get new phones/contracts on ALL 4 lines (looks like you did)? You can use the upgrade on any phone for any line.

You are on the data plan which means you are a premier customer (or should be). Your MAINLINE is eligible for an upgrade every year, so just give it another 8 months. The phones you got are all pretty good phones.

Hey quick question, what is SERO stand for, still getting used to the abbreviations here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Miss Fats posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/ATT

# Current contract status: I'm on the iPhone contract that I got when the original iPhone came up. They changed it when the 3G came out but I'm not too sure on the details. I am eligible for an upgrade. Edit: I am willing to switch to Verizon.

# Budget (phone/plan): Up to ~$300

# Features I know I want: I would like to get a touch screen phone that functions as an MP3 player and has apps (such as twitter, ESPN, facebook, weather, etc). I'd like a camera but it's not a deal breaker. I love my iPhone, and I'll probably end up getting a 3GS, but I'd like to see if there is anything comparable. I know nothing about cellphones but I've seen adds for similar phones like the Android.

I would like something that will sync up with my Macbook (preferably will download MP3s from my itunes folder, I don't generally download directly to the phone) because I tend to crash my phones quite a bit so it's nice to have something that will back up easily.

Deal Breakers:
MP3 Player
Apps
Sync'ability

Wants but not necessary:
Camera/Video
Any other gadgetry such as GPS.

My current iPhone is broken so I will probably be getting a new one tomorrow. Let me know ASAP.

It seems like after doing some research that it's between Droid (and switching to Verizon) or 3GS.

It appears that Droid is the better phone, except when it comes to syncability with my Mac, and MP3 player. Can anyone comment on a Droid vs. 3GS comparison?

They're both great phones, and ATT and Verizon have the same exact monthly plans. Verizon DEF has a better network, but i will admit ATT is great, just their 3G network is a bit screwed up and not as expansive.

I use the G1 and have a Mac. Does not "sync" yet (rumor is they are working on that, but just a rumor), but it basically acts as a flash drive. So when i throw music on it, i just drag and drop. Not as pretty as the iPhone, but I personally prefer it anyway for organization.

They will both do what you want them to do. in terms of "syncing" it depends on what you want to sync. If you use ANYTHING google Droid beats the pants of iPhone, Android does a fantastic job at integrating gmail, gcal and all that. iPhone of course will sync much better with ical, itunes, mobile me, anything apple. If you use yahoo get iphone, for whatever reason android has loads of trouble with yahoo. Both are even on exchange support, fairy good but not near as good as blackberry.

Only difference on GPS is Droid has FREE turn by turn directions.

Keep in mind apple is probably releasing a new iphone in June. Any software will work with the 3GS, just something to remind you of.

Also, just because you are eligible for an ATT upgrade does not mean you are out of contract. I would check.

Verizon has the better network and i personally love Android, it is more versatile than Apple and can do more. But, its really a personal preference. If you are really happy with ATT, love iphone, just stick with what you really like.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Miss Fats posted:

I don't use much google yet, but I am working as a professional political operative and a lot of what the campaigns I work on do is use GCal etc. which is why I'm looking into that (plus GPS is crucial when I'm out of my home area). I think I will seriously look into the droid tomorrow.

I am a hardcore GCal user, Android all the way.

Note, iPhone will do it (i have an ipod touch) but it will not be quite as good. If you get an iphone let me know, i know how to setup push for Gmail, GCal and contacts.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

• Country/Provider: USA (Upstate NY) / AT&T

• Current contract status: None

• Budget (phone/plan): On the phone, I'm pretty flexible. On the plan I'd rather stay in the $60 and under range if at all possible.

• Features I know I want: Android OS on a phone that will support current and upcoming versions of Android, minimum voice and txt, but unlimited data.
As far as I know this leaves me with the Motorola Droid and the Nexus One... But the plans are so god damned confusing. Do I really have to pay a minimum of $80 a month? I do work at Best Buy so I know I can get some discounts.

I've been looking at T-Mobile's $60 plan with 500 minutes and unlimited everything else, but people tell me T-Mobile sucks. Is there a real reason to stay away from them if I'm in Northern Western New York? I really don't know. What other options are there?

Check the TMo coverage map in your area.

I mean, its Verizon, TMobile, Sprint have Android. Def the newest ones are on Verizon and TMobile. If you want the best coverage Verizon and the Droid, just keep in mind its a bit more expensive a month.

No way you an do a Droid and stay in the $60 range. $30 for internet $20 for unlimited texting on Verizon (note ATT is the exact same).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks, Duckman!

Like I said, I'm flexible on the price of the phone. Is it even an option to get something out of contract, and then to only pay for voice and data, but no text? I have google voice, and would like to do all my texting through that, but I don't know if it's feasible at all. That's probably more of a question for one of the android threads.

Ywah, but i gotcha covered here.

On Verizon you CAN have just Voice and Data, and with GVoice i highly recommend it. That will save you $20 on that texting, although you'll want to either A. Have $5 texting in case anyone textes that number or B. Block texting (GVoice goes through the internet, won't be blocked). Keep in mind GV does not get push, so it takes bout 5-15 mins to get texts in my experience.

So $39.99 for Voice (450 mins), $30 for data = $69.99 Minimum on Verizon plus tax. You are eligible for any corporate dscounts, plan does include Verizon-Verizon unlimited but NO fav 5. Fav 5 is on any higher voice plans.

In Verizon speak, that's the Basic 450 plan plus a smartphone data feature.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T
Current contract status: Ancient ATT Wireless plan, long out of contract.
Current Plan features: Family plan, 900 anytime mins, unl m2m, unl n&w, 3 lines.
Current Base charges: $83/month, bill is around $100 with tax, txts, etc
Budget (phone/plan): $300/not sure
Features I know I want:
Need unlimited data, texting would be nice (I don't use txt, but my mom and wife do), early nights/weekends would be needed to keep mins down, unl m2m, unl n&w.

Phones:
Me: I was thinking a BB Bold or a Droid or something like that.
Wife: iPhone in her dreams, but anything with web and a full kb.
mom: something cheap with full kb for txt.

So... I'm willing to go to Verizon, but Sprint SUCKS in my area according to people who have a Sprint plan. I'd go with a EPRP family plan, no problem. My boss is willing to help with the cost, so I don't have to carry 2 phones, and I don't use all their minutes on their company plan with AT&T.

Help!

Some tips for either Verizon or AT&T.

A. You will have to update your plan when you upgrade or make changes. Just how they do it. Verizon and AT&T are the exact same price plans monthly.

B. Texting: If they are hue texters just get the everything unlimited ($30 a month for the family), if not $5 per line for 200. Just get the unlimited.

C. Data: Both companies add on $30 a month per line for data on Smartphones (Blackberry, iPhone, Palm, Nokia/Symbian, or WinMo). Absolutely required.

D. Both ATT and Verizon now have top ten, so you can put 10 phone numbers in addition to your unlimited M2M. Kinda nice. Not applicable on the lowest plans.

Example:
Verizon: Select Plan (unlimited Texting)
$179.99 for 3,000 mins
Unlimited Text included, all lines
$9.99 for 3rd line
$30 per smartphone line = $60 (assumption Wife gets smartphone)
N/W at 9pm, but you have top ten. Estimate $10-20 a month if you want earlier nights.

Total: $259.99 plus tax plus possible earlier nights. Also, factor in you could probably get a corporate discount depending on where you work. Could lower bill by $40 a month or maybe more if you don't need that many mins.

Would come out the same on ATT, they just call it something different.

I personally have found all smartphones to be really functional now a days, it really is a lot personal preference. Business email wise Blackberry still beats iPhone and Android. I personally love Android, the Droid is stellar, but i would also recommend Blackberry Bold 2/Tour, they really do great if overshadowed by iphone hype. Fianlly, i do feel android, because it is more open, offers more options than the iPhone.

Alos, for your wife if you go to Verizon check out the Palm Pre Plus, it will be there within a month and is a great phone for many people looking for that iPhone style. Or the Droid Eris.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 12, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Thanks for the info. I've been asking some other folks, and the general consensus is: Wait a few months if possible, and let Android penetrate a little further. Ideally, I'd be able to get an Android phone that's rugged, and has a full kb.

Anyone know if you can "borrow" a phone on Sprint and see what the coverage is like? Do they have a cheap pay-as-you-go plan that I could take for a month, and try to use?

No way sprint will do that. I recommend trying out Virgin Mobile, they work off sprint towers so its similar, but still not the complete same. Better answer would be to borrow a friend's sprint phone for a day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

You can sign up for Sprint and cancel the service within 30 days no questions asked.

True, but you will pay a restock fee (varies by store) and pay obviously for your service time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

audist posted:

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Currently have a line with a terrible Sidekick 3 under my Dad; my plan is customized with unlimited text and data for $30/month (no voicemails and phone calling minutes). However, I am going to have my own line whenever my dad calls in for a change of responsibility.

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to spend $100-300 to upgrade from Sidekick 3, and willing to spend $30-50/month on plan

Features I know I want: Easy-to-use text/Gmail interfaces (like the iPhone or Android phones), QWERTY keyboard preferred but not necessary, and applications. I have been looking at the Nexus One and iPhone for sometime now but their prices are too high for me. I'd like to upgrade to the Nexus One but I don't really think I want to sign to 2 more years under T-Mobile with their Even More individual 500 Plan. I am deaf, so I don't need voicemails or phone calling minutes.

You should be able to keep your plan data and text only. All carriers do offer that option, they just don't like people A. knowing and B. they do charge more than if you bundled data on a voice plan. Ex: on Verizon i believe it is $40-50 for just data only (no text), whereas it is $30 on a voice plan. Not sure on TMo's plans but i am sure they can do something similar.

As long as you are happy with TMo stick with it. It sounds like you want Android, that Nexus 1 is the most badass and powerful, but there are other options. I'd recommend the MyTouch, you can get your data plan, and either pay for the phone outright or setup a paymen plan of $xx a month for the phone over xx amount of time. No contract. Very nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

Which one of these is the least crappy?: http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/b_showphone.html?zip=53511&mkt=607780&tm=0

My primary concerns are:
-Easy to transfer photos, videos, and music/ringtones (that I make myself) between the phone and the PC.
-Ability to connect to wi-fi to browse the internet (I don't want or need over-the-network internet since I don't want to pay for that extra service)
-Availability of applications and games for the phone from the internet. I know this one's a longshot since USCellular is really lame and locks phones down to only get things from their EasyEdge service, but I'm hoping maybe some of the newer smartphones have better capabilities in this regard. I'd love to be able to even have tetris or something on the phone. Just something to do when I'm stuck in line or something.

Edit: Blackberries are out of the question because I refuse to sign up for their mandatory monthly service. Does anybody know if USCellular forces you to buy their internet plan when you buy a smartphone? I'm just tired of having a crappy little flipphone from the stoneage.

If US Cellular is like any other provider they will require data plans with smartphones. Almost all phones with WiFi are smartphones. Looks like your stuck. Only possible solution is WinMo, since those phones have been around a while sometimes carriers are willing to let customers get them on lower plans and then block the data. But this usually kills pic messaging, and usually wi fi no longer works anyway.

New blackberry curve is otherwise exactly what you want. Gotta pay more to get more now a days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

Okay, well that puts that requirement right out the window. I cannot afford the 20-25 dollars a month they want for internet service. Will the Motorola Crush do the other things I want? It looks like the least crap of the remaining options. Otherwise I guess I'm stuck just getting a less ancient flip phone.

Yeah, any keypad non-smartphone is your best bet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

hey, Newegg is currently having a sale which includes an unlocked Palm Treo 750 for $130, is it worth it to upgrade from my POS Pantech Matrix, or are there bugs or issues with it that make it less worthwhile?

Do you have a data plan? ATT, or any carrier, would now require a data plan with that phone. Call them first and check.

Treo 750 is a great phone, just older. I prefer the Palm software over WinMo. Not near as elegant now as Palm WebOS, but good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I might have to upgrade from my current $10 a month to a $30 a month plan, but now that I have a job it's an expense I can afford. When the time came for me to upgrade this summer, I was out of a job and out of money, so I had to opt for a free phone. Now that I have a little bit of disposable income I can afford that sort of thing. I'm seriously considering that, unless you can recommend a better phone for under $150.

Well with a two year contract blackberries should be in that range, but it sounds like you aren't due for an upgrade. Just Keep in mind palm isn't innovating much with Treo software, its def a solid solid phone, just don't expect updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
To both, the LG Env 3 is one of the best regular phones you can get on Verizon. However, Verizon has just changed their plans, and that phone will REQUIRE a $10 data plan. Just a heads up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IDemandSatisfaction posted:

Country/Provider: USA, ATT

Current contract status: Finished as of last month

Budget (phone/plan): $200 for phone, up to $100 a month w/data

Features I know I want: Data, internet browsing, non-touchscreen keyboard

I currently have a 1st-gen iPhone. Beyond basic phone stuff, I really like it for the browser and the Facebook app, but I'm getting sick of the touch screen keyboard.

I've never used a Blackberry, but people seem to like them. I guess the Droid, Pre and Nexus One also fall into the category of phones I'm interested in.

Any suggestions? I'd be interested to hear from a former iPhone user.

If you are staying on ATT your only other choice really is the blackberry bold 2. Blackberrys are very good phones, i have the tour and i love it. Pick your carrier first, then the phone you want. Probably either Blackberry or an Android phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

The Bold 9700 is really the best choice if you want that keyboard. RIM knows how to make keyboards, unlike Motorola and Palm who put awful keyboards on the Pre and the Droid respectively. The Droid keyboard is just bad while the Pre keyboard is tiny. The only gripe I have with the BlackBerry is the UI and third-party apps situation but I don't use too many apps on my BlackBerry. That's probably because there aren't very many good third-party apps for my uses. I could write a long essay on RIM and the BlackBerry but I won't.

Be warned, even though the OS 5.0 browser is much improved, it's best to install Bolt Browser. You can even use Bolt as the default browser. Also, the Facebook app is pretty mediocre compared to the iPhone but this is the way it is on every platform that isn't the iPhone.

I disagreee, Blackberry has been around for years, and as a result there is actually a pretty decent support of apps for it. They just aren't all on the app store, and sometimes they do cost more. I went from Android to BBerry and was quite surprised.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

belle of my ballz posted:

Choosing a cellphone is actually driving me crazy. I have read hundreds of reviews, watched more then a dozen videos on youtube and I can't make up my goddamn mind.

This choice is important because its a phone from work and i'm pretty much stuck using it every single day for the duration of the contract.

SmartPhones I have owned in the past : iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, E71, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Curve and Samsung Omnia

My choices literally any phone that is sold in Canada. I have narrowed my choices down to the following.

Storm 2 : Even though I hated the Storm 1, apparently they fixed the issues in the Storm 2 and I really liked the screen and the design. BB messenger being a plus as 50%+ in my office are on blackberries, along with my girlfriend and a couple of my buddies.

iPhone 3GS: The battery life on the iPhone 3g drove me nutty, this can be remedied by a case with battery. Cons for this one include random time wasting apps and the fact that EVERYONE has a goddamn iPhone. On the plus side it has tethering unlike any other phone on the market. Also I really hate the message tone/popup on the iPhone it reminds me of my ex girlfriend for some reason.

Blackberry Bold/Tour/Curve - My blackberry before the storm was the old Curve models. Nothing to write home about. The browser sucked but it was a few generations ago.

Nokia N97/N86/E71 - Any reason why I should consider these phones

My needs

I send and read 100-200 emails a day
About the same number of texts
I'm proficient on both the iPhone and Storm keyboards
I don't use my cellphone for pictures
I read bloomberg religiously
ditto with the NYT/WP
I'd like to listen to my phone for about 2 hours a day
I rarely talk on the phone unless absolutely necessary
It'd be nice to be able to administer my website from my phone but not necessary
I like being standout/unique
MUST SYNC WITH A MAC NO ACCEPTIONS NO ANDROID

Blah my Android works with my mac, I have so much music i have to dragand drop in itunes anyway.

But anyway, sounds like you won't be happy right now with any pick. I recommend (seriously) taking a deep breath first. Then either get the Storm 2 or wait for the Tour 2 on Verizon. Only thing iPhone potentially is better at is the website thing. BBerry now has a good web browser (opera mini).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

He's in Canada.

*forehead slap*

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

I'm heading to the Dallas area for my first real job and my parents want me off of their AT&T plan as soon as I can afford it comfortably. Soooo.....

Country/Provider:
USA/Any Provider

Current Contract Status:
On parents' contract as of right now but not sure if I can get a deal by splitting off of them to my own AT&T account or just go with another provider

Budget:
200 max for a phone and 100 max a month for service.

Features I know I want:
I text, send pictures, and really want to be able to browse the web/read forums/check email. Being able to use my phone as a gps device and still accept phone calls while driving would be a huge plus.

This is my first dip into cellphones as I just picked a phone upgrade everytime my parents contract said so my entire life. I've been using a Blackjack and now the Blackjack 2 and they are ok, but the browser is junk and texting in the Blackjack 2 is sorta wonky sometimes when I read messages and it still marks it as new.

Dallas is a bigass city, so i would assume all 4 have good coverage there.

Blackberry Curve/Tour or HTC Hero on Sprint.

Sprint Plan: $69.99 a month. Unlimited data, text, GPS, Turn by Turn Nav, unlimited calling to any cell phone. 450 mins for landlines. You get upgrades (new phones) every year.

Plan qualifies for discounts, so like, if you work for Wal-Mart, military, krogers, bank of america, wherever, you usually can get a discount on your monthly bill.

Not quite as good coverage as Verizon, but way cheaper.

T-Mobile is also very well priced, especially if you want to buy your phone outright and avoid a contract. Either one seems to do better right now than ATT or VZ.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Why not Sprint EPRP with 50 extra minutes for $10 less per month?

Because I keep forgetting about it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

I'm about to buy a Verizon Mifi for $50 with the 2-year $60/month 5gig data plan.

Tell me why I shouldn't, or should go for Sprint's identical device, or how I could get a better deal.

I do know the Sprint Mifi is $50 cheaper, but Sprint lately has that awful sinking ship flavor. They've closed 5 out of 7 of our local Sprint stores in the last couple months; none of the other shops have closed. They do have the 3g/4g combo version, but there's no 4g in my local cities and it's a much bigger device for $100; the 4g attraction doesn't hit me.

e: is there any way to get a price-match because the Sprint unit is the same thing?

The Sprint MiFi CANNOT do 4G. Same with Verizon, the MiFis were made before 4G/LTE so neither will ever be able to do 4G.

Sprint is starting to reverse itself, however for 3G internet I do recommend Verizon, they just have better coverage and the pricing is the same.

If you live in a city Sprint actually may get 4G by the end of the year, so the only reason to go with Sprint is if you want 4G (the new Overdrive on Sprint does 4G), which will mean faster home speeds and unlimited data when in 4G. Pretty nice, but obviously not near wide spread yet.

Verizon will also be rolling out LTE this year, but they do not have any 4G units out yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Mostly wrong. If you live outside a city of any real size the coverage may be better with VZW but pricing is a no brainer, Mifi on Sprint EPRP for $50/month.

Agreed on the EPRP, i keep forgetting about that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wernox posted:

Country/Provider: USA/VZW

Current contract status: month-to-month

Budget (phone): $100 or less hopefully.

Features I know I want: Qwerty keyboard, no data requirement from VZW.

My wife and I are currently on Verizon, currently both carrying env2's and we're both ready for an updgrade. I've pretty much settled on an HTC Eris, and the $45 data plan I'll need to active sync with work, for myself and my wife is also just as certain she doesn't want to pay even $10 for data. Can anyone recommend a vzw phone with a qwerty keyboard that doesn't require a data plan?

Sincerely doubt it, all keyboards are not considered feature phones. Welcome to the new Verizon!

"She likes the idea of an unlocked iPhone since she uses the internet frequently on her current phone, however, she's not committed to spending the extra data fees. Are there even any reasonably priced month-to-month providers that can cover the iPhone costs? What would the cost be for a package such as the one she wants, with or without unlimited data?"

If she wants an "unlocked" iPhone take it to TMobile. Keep in mind even buying it new for $600 at Best Buy does not mean it is unlocked, Apple is gay and even at full price the iPhone is still locked onto AT&T.

iPhone on TMobile on the Even More Plus plan would be as low as $59.99 a month. No 3G compatability (ATT and TMobile use different bands), but still works mostly great.

If it is a newer iPhone you'll have to do a tethered jailbreak, which kinda sucks/isn't for everyone.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241261

I do just recommend you buy the Nexus 1 if you go to TMobile. Better price, better phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angora posted:

As far as the price for the phone goes, I'm not too concerned. I see used second generation Iphones on SA-Mart for cheap all the time. However, to get a cheap Nexus 1 wouldn't she need to sign a 2 year?

Well, compared to new iPhone 3GS and without a contract, no. A Nexus 1 with no contarct is $525ish. Buying it with a contract is kinda dumb in my opinion, $179 today but you pay more monthly and are in a contract.

You seem cool with buying off someone else, so as long as you are careful and get a good deal, go for an iPhone 3G. Find out the software version beforehand, some of the 3Gs (IE unlocked usually) can be jailbroken under the older iPhone Dev team method, some that have the 3GS current software cannot be as easily unlocked.

If TMobile has good coverage in your area I highly recommend it, they have great customer service, low plans, just not the best data network. But I'd take an iPhone on Edge over an iPhone on ATT 3G anyday for price alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pango posted:

Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: n/a

Features I know I want: I don't want to go into too much detail but my friend and I recently fell from grace with the arctic fox who pays our phone bill and we want a way to stay in touch via text messages. A full keyboard would be preferable, but its absence would be tolerable if the price hike is too much. We don't need voice at all. I guess the essence of my question is: what are our best options if all we want to do is text each other?

Virgin Mobile you can get a cheap calling plan with unlimited text for about $30 a month prepaid (i think), and they now have the LG Rumor 2, which is full keypad. This is like, the one scenario I would actually recommend Virgin Mobile (Boost usually beats them in price). Plus VM uses Sprint towers, so coverage is good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vice President posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Tmobile

Contract: Out of contract, on month to month

I want to get an android phone, but I hate on-screen keyboards so I want a phone with a real one. I was thinking about trying to find a G1 for sale used to pick up and just use that by adding the data plan, instead of buying a new phone at a discount and re-signing a new contract. That way if the Droid or something similar comes to Tmo I can switch. I thought about a Cliq but I just don't think I'd use the motoblur part of it and I don't really like the keyboard.

Is this a good idea? If so, what's a good price for a used G1? I've seen anywhere from $150-300 on ebay and craigslist.

I would not pay more than $150 for a G1, the hardware just is pretty laggy. Great phone, loved it for a year, but not worth more than that (and note, that is with no contract).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Cool posted:

I'm looking for a new phone. I was looking to get a shared plan with my fiancee, but everything seems more expensive than our current plans.

# Country/Provider/contract status: USA. Me: T-mobile, long out of contract. Her: Sprint, under contract until August.

# Budget (phone/plan): We're currently each paying $40-45 per month. Maybe willing to go a little higher than this but not much.

# Features I know I want: I would like some data. I just need enough to look up weather, wikipedia, street addresses, etc once in a while. I currently have the $6 T-zones web, which is supposedly WAP-only but lets me do most of what I want.

She texts enough to need a plan, I'm better off paying per text most months.

Minutes aren't that important. We both have 300 anytime minutes now, and never go over.

I'm sure I could find a phone on any carrier that will work for me. Is either Sprint or T-Mobile worse than the other about locking down their newer phones? My current phone doesn't let apps access the network, and it's a bitch to transfer photos off of it.

Lowest Sprint family plan is $119-$129. Any Mobile, unlimited text, unlimited data (including smartphone), unlimited gps, etc. Do you work anywhere, it is eligible for company discounts (IE Wal-mart employees gets 25% off a month, etc).

TMobile you may be able to hit $80-90 with no internet, but not completely sure. You won't be able to move her to TMo until August, you can obviously go to Sprint at any time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

I swear you're some kind of idiot. Stop suggesting retail Sprint plans. EPRP is $109 + $15 per line.

Meh, I'm still newer to that plan, my apologies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mein Eyes! posted:

I'm going to run this by you guys before I pull the trigger tomorrow afternoon: I'm currently in Chicago, USA on a $20 family plan through Verizon. I'm looking to get a Nexus One, and while it is coming to Verizon in a few months, I won't be up for an extension or new-every-two for another eighteen months and don't really like my current situation enough to stick that out. Moreover, if the N1 plan is anything like the Droid's, its going to be out of my price range per month.

The plan right now is to pull my number off of the family plan, eating the early termination fee, and starting my own service with T-Mobile. Since my phone now is as dumb as they get, I understand the fee to be $175 - $5/month spent on contract, so I'd be looking at somewhere around $150. If I'm wrong on this, or if family plans have some extra complication or steps involved, please let me know.

Anyway, that's where I'm at after a weekend of weighing options and number crunching. This sort of straddles a few topics/carriers, so hopefully its not out of place in this thread.

Just be sure to call Verizon to get the exact number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

djbaseball24 posted:

On Sprint, staying with them since I Get 20% off through Target, I have the Curve 8330, and I wanna upgrade so its either: Tour, Curve 8530, Hero or the Moment or wait for the tour2 but I don't really want to. Help me out pleaseee

I have used both the Tour and Moment, really fast, zippy phones, I have been happy with both. Its kinda a preference thing, the only thing BBerry does better than Android is better exchange support. Hero is a great phone, from what i hear a bit slower than the moment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mein Eyes! posted:

How should I handle this? When I go to order the phone on Google's webpage, it asks for my old number and suggests that it'll process the switch over; this is echoed by certain guides and discussions I've read basically saying don't contact or cancel your account, rather just let it get terminated when the number gets switched. I'm not trying to arguing any point, but I don't want to gently caress up and am curious about this.

Right, whatever you do don't cancel with Verizon, I'm saying call them to find out how much the termination fee is. Sorry for that confusion.

Whenever switching/porting your number, NEVER cancel. It will auto-cancel out (Verizon will just bill you your remaining usage and termination fee) when you port.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tedronai66 posted:

Yeah, the hero is slower, but can be sped up some with rooting/using fresh/modaco/ttg on it.

Exchange support is terrible with android unless you pony up 20 bucks for Touchdown Exchange (best thing for activesync for gmail).

Can touchdown exchange support push/refresh of multiple inboxes? Thats what seems to get the most complaints.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. Hadn't thought of it, but I may very well go with the two separate single plans, as I'll want to keep one active come the glorious day when I no longer have to manage and apartment building.

TMobile plans are great, only other thing i could think of, if you do a lot of calling, is ATT Prepaid unlimited call/text for $60 a month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

The Moment comes with Moxier Mail installed, it's $29 on the market otherwise, and I have no complaints about it so far or found anything it can't do.

**Edit I should read the whole post next time

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 6, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grooveh posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: None. Currently using a lovely flip phone on my dad's Verizon family plan, which I need to leave.

Budget (phone/plan): $300 phone, $60/month

Features I know I want: A good physical QWERTY keyboard that works well with large hands, unlimited texting, and at least 400 minutes. Optional: Wi-Fi, web browsing, GPS, and Google Maps.

I'd like to avoid a contract unless it's an awesome phone with a great reputation and all of the optional stuff I listed.

Virgin Mobile doesn't have good coverage in my area, and I've heard the same about Sprint from a friend, whose senior project partner recently had trouble getting reception in buildings where T-Mobile worked fine. Sprint's coverage map shows a mix of "best" and "good," and I went to a local Sprint store and noticed the Palm Pre on display only had two bars. If not for the possible coverage issue, the Samsung Moment and Sprint EPRP would seem like a no-brainer. I figured Sprint would just roam off Verizon towers and maintain a good signal strength, but now that seems uncertain.

The best alternative I've come up with so far is an unlocked $190 Nokia E63 with T-Mobile's $60 Even More Plus 500 Talk + Text + Web month-to-month plan, which I think would have the option of downgrading to the $40 data-less plan if funds were low and I wanted to rely on Wi-Fi for Google Maps.

I also have the option of joining my sister's Verizon family plan that has unlimited texting without data for $22/month, but I don't know if their messaging phones that don't require data are any good (Samsung Intensity, Motorola Rival, Verizon Wireless Razzle) despite being $200+.

I'd recommend both TMo and Sprint, but given that Virgin uses Sprint towers if their reception is spotty, Sprint is likely to be as well. Give TMobile a try, especially since you aren't signing a contract with an unlocked phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boner Slam posted:

Palm Pre?
I really like the form factor of this phone. It's so tiny AND a slider...

Is is at good idea at all to buy a Palm Pre now (Germany)?
I know Palm will sooner or later die, but I don't need endless updates and apps if I really think about it. I have some requirements which I listed below. Beyond that I don't care.

I was initially waiting for some kind of Android phone to buy, but the Nexus is not available in Germany, the Droid seems overly large and expensive for beeing a last-gen phone... Everything else about Android is confusing. Samsung has some good deals, but seems to have abandonded the support... The only 2.x phone in Europe is the Milestone and I don't want the Milestone...

I need an application that uses GPS to track where/how I run and then upload it to web/computer where I have different charts and pictures and poo poo. Needs to be FREE.
Don't care about the "social" functions but I need maps and charts for pace/distance etc. ESSENTIAL
Some computervoice yelling at me during training would be nice as well.
I have been using SportyPal on Winmobile, before I decided to wash my Diamond.
This functions needs to be there and it needs to be good. Otherwise dealbreaker.
Also google maps.
Calendar sync would be a plus. I use the google services pretty much for everything...
It needs to be a good phone (as in do phone poo poo) and I should be able to use my delicious European HSPA flatrate to full effect.

If the Pre has this and is otherwise decent, I might just get it.
If it doesn't get updated anymore, it doesn't matter, I guess.
The Pre is 400€ via O2

Edit: Reading my requirements, it seems that some cheaper Nokia phones seem to also fit the bill. Any experience with those? I normally detest Nokia, but alas.

I would check and see if they have any announcements on when the Palm Pre Plus hits Germany...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Country/Provider: Verizon Wireless

Current Contract Status: Expires in April, eligible for upgrade then.

Budget: cheap as possible.

I don't talk much (50-150 minutes) but I text on occasion and would like to surf the web a lot. I really want a Nexus One. Basically, what I want is a mini computer that happens to make calls when I need it but primarily is used for web, apps and text. I don't like that the minimum plan from Verizon is 450 mins as I never come close to that.

I don't have to stick to verizon either. I hear T-mobile has good reception in my area (NYC).

Thanks.

Even More Plus can get you 500 mins, internet, text messaging and no contract on TMobile. $59.99, gotta buy the N1 outright for $525ish (but will save you money long term).