Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My beloved S4 is beginning to just not work anymore (trouble charging with Samsung chargers, alarm didn't go off the past couple of days) so it's time for me to finally cash in this two-year upgrade. I've really liked the phone otherwise, any reason not to just get the S7 to replace it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

On Verizon it's pretty much iPhone, Pixel, or Samsung. Nothing else is really worth looking at.

This mostly holds true in general except to add Moto G4 to the low-end.

If I like my S4 is it worth playing around with a Pixel or should I just jump to an S6/S7? Had my S4 since 2013 but thinking I should upgrade in the next few weeks. I admittedly don't know much about the Pixel but I assume that newer Samsung phones are fairly similar to their older counterparts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone want to talk me out of getting a Pixel? The Galaxy S4 I got in 2013 is starting to actually give out on me so it's time to suck it up and finally get a new phone. Looked around a bit a few months ago and the Pixel seemed like my best bet, though I don't know if the S8 changed that (and I liked my S4 a lot, or at least enough that I'd be happy to stay in Samsung's ecosystem). This is on Verizon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

You should get the Pixel.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just doing due diligence (and trying to put it off more :v:)

Anyone want to recommend a good case & screen protector for a Pixel, or point me in the direction of the best thread to ask about them?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Butt Discussin posted:

Alternatively, you may be better off getting a $240 moto g5 and waiting 6 months for the pixel 2, rather than spending $800 on the pixel. This would be if you think you might like the bezelless look, waterproof nature, and better specs of the S8, but want a phone that runs smoothly, isn't bloated with crapware and isn't guaranteed to stop working 2 years and 5 days after you buy it(if you're lucky).

Well I've had this phone for almost four years so actually upgrading after two years like a normal person would be a welcome change of pace for me. Plus it's actively and rapidly breaking down on me so I don't much feel like waiting for something else. I live right near a Verizon store and the person working there said they could have a Pixel here in two days so we'll see what happens with that.

E: Pixel or Pixel XL? Unfortunately because my store has to order the phone ahead of time I'm not sure if I can play with one beforehand, which is a big bummer for my own tech-buying habits.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 10, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My wife is gung-ho to replace her phone, and I might as well start thinking about replacing my three year old Pixel XL, so it's off the Verizon Store on Friday. What we're looking for:

1. I like this Pixel a lot and just want to get something like it. However, the only Google phone that the Verizon website lists is something called a 4a? Do they not sell the current Pixel models anymore?

2. Wife wants to go from a Pixel 2 XL to some sort of iPhone for whatever reason, mostly for business reasons rather than anything like its camera. Can we narrow down her iPhone choices based on that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I wouldn't be in any rush to replace my phone if the battery wasn't starting to noticeably wear out. Half the time I'm using it is just to gently caress around on the internet so if a 4a will give me that then I'm interested. It's a similar story with her Pixel 2 (small chip in one corner of the screen, headphone adapter doesn't work, phone is fine otherwise), she's just less patient with aging tech than I am. Thanks for the heads-up on the newer phones coming out next month, I'll see if I can talk her into waiting until then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, my wife picked up an iPhone 11 last week, but the store was out of Pixel 4as so I decided to hold off until the 5 comes out. Thanks for the rec!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Long overdue to replace my Pixel 5 on a Verizon plan. Any reason why I shouldn't just go right for the Pixel 8? Have been generally happy with the last two Pixels that I've had.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

Go for the 8, I think you can qualify for a $800 trade in too. This is the direct number to sales where I used to work: (800) 256-4646

$800 for trading in a Pixel 5, or am I reading that wrong?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

Quite possibly. Call and ask what trade in promos they have. Sometimes it requires a plan change, sometimes not.

Big caveat is it’s over 36 months for the discount.

Checked online and I'd have to bump up to Unlimited Plus to get the discount, alas. Maybe I will muster up the energy later to see if it's cost-effective to do so.

What is the situation of transferring accounts/data between two devices? The charge port on my current phone is real sketchy so a wired transfer is probably a no-go. I'm guessing that we have the technical to move everything over to the new device wirelessly but should probably confirm before doing so.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 15, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Following along from my earlier Pixel 8 question, anything about the Pro that I would be interested in as a smartphone "casual"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

You should actually call the sales number because they may (or may not) have the offer on your current plan. Online doesn’t always show that.

It should all just move over via Google when you log in. Contacts, pictures and apps at least.

Hey this worked, thanks much. Just gotta figure out how to get the data not connected to my Google account off of my current phone while the physical data port barely works...