Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

I JUST WISH THIS WAS A PONY SO I COULD JERK IT WHILE I PLAY WOW

I'm looking for the absolute cheapest possible Android prepaid phone, without a monthly plan if possible (primary coverage/use in postcode 94105). Basically, it's for app development and testing and will get little to no actual use -- I've seen some in stores but they seem to require some $35-50 "android plan" instead of just eating a few minutes here and there.

It doesn't/isn't going to be rooted nor is there any specific version of Android, but 2.2+ preferable.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

taqueso posted:

Some of these prepaid B-tier services look tempting. Vsble is unlimited on VZ's network for $40/mo including taxes and I saw reports of 30Mbps which would be plenty. Looks like I've got plenty of research to do.

e: Do you have the T-Mobile prepaid unlimited (non-plus) plan? What modem are you using?

Bit old of a quote but I've been on Visible for two months now.

It's is $25/m with party. If you have a ton of Verizon users (for example, a suburb where there isn't much ATT/TM coverage), your service will be completely unusable. If you need low latency, you might get 120ms+ while Verizon direct gets 15-30ms on LTE - data traffic is 100% backhauled to one of two points, NJ or Colorado and back. Modern devices + VoLTE only

It's usable.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

The Umidigi Official Store has the A7 Pro for 164CAD and the Power3 for 190CAD, if you're ok waiting for shipping.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

Samsung is notably bad at this. They would very much prefer you keep buying new phones.

I honestly' wouldn't recommend samsung to anyone anymore. While the hardware is fine, they introduce more and more bullshit, from unremovable, undisableable, push notification full-panel ads for other samsung products, forking old versions of the AOSP browser into lovely, vulnerability-filled "Samsung Browser", unremovable Bixby stuff and various bloatware garbage

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

taiyoko posted:

I could use a recommendation for a plan.

Current: Mint Mobile's $20/3GB (price being that low by paying for a full 6 months up front)

Phone: unlocked Pixel 2

Budget: Willing to go up to $35/month for similar data, something not on T-Mobile

Assuming you want prepaid as well and assuming you do not want sprint, if you're ok with paying 12 months, u/u/5gb is $20 x 12: https://www.boom.us/xtreme360/ lets you choose between Verizon, ATT, or Tmo (guess by colour, purple is TMO - they own a trademark on shade of magenta).

VoLTE does not work on ATT BYOD, unless device is ATT branded (hit or miss really, ATT chooses whether or not to enable it by idiotic policy).

They have a 30 day free SIM trial (mix of 450 items, MB/sms/minutes) somewhere in the individual plans menu that's explicitly $0 to add to cart. I'd order that first before paying upfront.

All MVNOs are deprioritized below normal users across basically every carrier, so if you have heavy existing presence of, say, Verizon, you may want to go direct

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 21, 2020

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

I've had some oneplus stuff as a daily driver for a year now, it's pretty good on the 7/8 line. I tried ignoring Samsung bloatware but you quite literally cannot disable fullscreen push notification bar ads, Bixby, Samsung Store, whatever else.

You can buy the 8 Pro from OP directly and swap your sim into it.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Uthor posted:

You can switch to Verizon prepaid. It's $40/month for 5 gb, $35/month if you auto pay, $30/month after 3 months, and $25/month after 9 months.

The last two discounts are new and I didn't know about them. I think I may need to switch, myself!

Edit: video resolution is limited. Maybe I won't switch...

If you are in an area with very heavy Verizon usage you usually do not want depri'd data. On Visible and PP (Verizon MVNO), I get sub-1mbps speeds at peak.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

I'd like 5G if it didn't mean I would blow through my monthly cap (since no unlimited plans in the US are actually unlimited) in a minute.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

For a full day per charge and a ton of specs, your only option might be some kind of chinaphone. The moto g power is probably 250ish with tax?

I have a Umidigi F1 that is/was 100 on aliexpress / 150 on Amazon US and it routinely idles for multiple days and does at least a full day of Pokemon Go.

How much data do you actually use? ~50/line is not really what I'd call cheap and you could probably get much better.

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 19, 2020

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Mint resells T-Mobile like Straight Talk does, roughly same prioritsation levels, $20/m or so for 8GB per line. Visible is low-priority unlimited everything Verizon for $25/m.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I kinda feel that part of my signal woes may have had to do with being on the Sprint network via Boost. Anecdotally, my coworkers that had Verizon-based providers all seem to be able to get signal anywhere at work, and the wife, who's got a phone directly through Verizon, gets decent signal where my phone does not.

With that in mind, I googled some providers that use Verizon's network. Total Wireless seems like a pretty OK deal? They advertise a 2 line plan with 30gb of shared data for $57/mo. Am I missing something, or does this seem pretty legit and also a good idea?

I did check out Visible as well, and it seems the $25/mo thing is only for the 1st month, then it goes up to $40/mo.

You will always be de prioritized on Verizon unless you are explicitly on a Verizon postpaid plan directly. All MVNOs.

Visible is $25/m with party pay. Basically find a group and join it on reddit or whatever - you do not share billing or any information.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

- account type
- plan type (highest tier? lowest tier?)
- what phone you are buying from them that's locked for years
- online only promo or in store
- number of lines you are bringing over

etc

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

No, itíll be very hard to beat $40 a month for unlimited data.

Otherwise , sounds like rural Indiana, I havenít heard of US Mobile (unless you mean US Cellular). When you get to those areas , def check the coverage. There are still areas that is mostly the rural carrier and thatís the only option that works well. Comcast uses Verizon FYI, so you can check a Verizon coverage map (although nothing beats actually physically testing it if possible).

There's always visible for $20 first month, $25 recurring for unlimited data at basically the same MVNO prioritization level, unmetered hotspot allowed, if your phone is supported (they are picky)

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I was thinking about something like that but I dont know how it would handle text messages. Does it show text messages sent to other devices while they were logged in or only ones sent to your device while you are logged in? It's an option to look into at least!

Texts are on the web interface. You can reply to them threaded. It looks like a messenger-equivalent.

The only thing is you should probably ensure you're not sending any form of PII, internal, etc data to a free zero-SLA cloud service.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

i can't get landline or satellite internet where i'm at this winter, so i'm looking at cellular options. there are a whole lot of em and they all seem to kinda suck, maybe one of you guys knows something i don't though. i need hella data and nothing else, pretty much all gonna be used through a hotspot. some of the unlimited plans have (10gb hotspot) exceptions, can you still just use custom roms to get around that?

basically, what's the cheapest way for me to get at least 100gb/month of cellular data and preferably more

Prepaid or postpaid, what providers do best in your area, how much do you care about latency, how much do you care about being cut off for ToS violations, what device are you using this on, and how "above board" or legitimate do you want it to be?

$25/m visible (party pay, go on reddit and find one, you share no PII or billing, you just have to join a party) is 5-10mbps unmetered, 100ms latency minimums unless you are living in colorado or virginia. Unusable for gaming unless you are close to one of their points of presence (unlike direct carriers, they route all data traffic through very few points across the country) -- will not work on a hotspot directly, have to use a phone with hotspot running on it. I recommend one that can run without a battery, plugged into mains, for 24/7 service.

ATT has a legitimate option here: https://www.att.com/internet/fixed-wireless/, $50/m for 250GB/m

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 30, 2020

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Visible requires very specific phone choices, FYI. But if you don't care and don't play super latency sensitive trigger games, it's difficult to beat $25/m perfectly-fine-for-a-few-hundred-GB @ 5-50Mbps. Use Paypal - their card processor often rejects almost every card or triggers fraud warnings/card suspensions. Videos are throttled to about 2-3 Mbps.

They will give you a mildly newer (though still crappy, but you can tether I guess?) Android phone at https://www.visible.com/swap if you ship them your oldest, shittiest Android. Note that this has a tethering limitation of hotspot max 1 device on the phone they give you. If you BYOD an iPhone SE [cheapest] or similar this won't apply.

ATT "Rural Home" requires a year contract.

They used to have a $35/m tablet prepaid plan that people abused (for tablets, but people would put in a fake IMEI to register and then move the SIM to a tablet), but they've dropped the unlimited prepaid plan and kicked off abusers, and are now locking out any remaining abusive accounts by asking people to re-confirm by moving their SIM back into a device that matches the IMEI they signed up with.

quote:

i was going to dedicate an old phone to being a modem and leave it tethered to a router all the time.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-MT300N-V2-Repeater-300Mbps-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W, they are about $10-13 used. They're tiny openwrt boxes that you can connect a phone or hotspot to tether via USB or wifi (it'll connect to the wifi, and then broadcast its own separate access point), and it'll do ethernet and wifi out in any combination. If you have an existing wifi router you can pretty much just put this in the middle and do ethernet out to it.

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 30, 2020

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, if your router has the correct ports too - https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/smartphone.usb.tethering - it might be a bit of a pain to initially set up.

The last time I used us mobile, if you are on a budget, they don't include fees in all of their pricing like most prepaid places, often adds up to $10+ in tax/fee per month, I don't know if this has changed. It looks like you can only use 10GB for hotspot if you pick the highest "ludicrous + hotspot" upgrade tier (so about $65-75/m all inkl.) - unlimited my rear end, pretty much. Also, throttling/"traffic management" starts at 15GB.

Edit: it hasn't changed, $2 access fee + $7ish "cost recovery charge" (CA), $5ish tax, bunch of other stuff. In comparison Visible charges me the flat $25, presumably they eat the sales tax and all.

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 30, 2020

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Verizon has a Visible MVNO but your phone isn't compatible

TMobile prepaid connect plans are $15/m for 2gb data

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Their TVs do this too, it's gotten really egregious on TVs. Ads are showing up all over the UI where they weren't there before.

Don't forget that Samsung also uploads what you're watching regardless of method (similar to Shazam). There is basically no opt out. I think it's egregious bullshit that a $1-2k phone still has unremovable push ads.

H110Hawk posted:

I haven't seen this yet but I pretty aggressively disable things. To the point I pay for this package disabler to help with the issue. Worked on my s7 w/ att+Samsung bloat, seems to be working with this S20 ultra. Bixby and all 3 integrated Facebook processes are gone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kinder.pksafety

This is the list so far:

It so has the ability to add things to a widget so that you can cancel toggle on/off things you want around but not on all the time.

IIRC, OTA updates will roll these back or reinstall/reenable them

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 6, 2020

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah. I have a shitton of Verizon lines already and if it was compatible, I would have just added it to our unlimited for $20/mo.

I ended up buying the 3 month Mint 3gb SIM, which should be sufficient to evaluate the phone.

Best buy just put this on special, 3mo for $30 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mint-mobile-3-month-prepaid-sim-card-kit/6022211.p?skuId=6022211

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Unable-to-disable-automatic-connection-to-Xfinity-Wi-Fi/td-p/3351621

If this is true, it would make me run the gently caress away from XM

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Trying to pick a new phone, as I just dropped my iPhone 6S and smashed the screen.

Mostly use my phone for Slack/Twitter/browsing, texting, simple apps. No gaming. Would like wireless charging and a headphone port, but it looks like most phones have one or the other :/

Considering:
Samsung S20 FE: it's like ~$350 with a Verizon contract, and seems to be very powerful. But comes with Samsung bloatware, and that feels like enough to be a deal breaker. Plus it's huge
Pixel 5: $500 from BestBuy right now, seems to be a premium phone at sub premium price. Good camera, good battery, not too big which I like
Pixel 4a: $350, not too big, has a headphone jack but lacks wireless charging which I want.
iPhone 12 Mini: Most expensive at ~$760, has the smallest form factor and most power, which is the big draw. But Apple pisses me off, they're expensive

anything else I should be considering?

Why not a SE2 (~$399 retail 150 locked for 6mo)? It's cheap and you don't game anyway. No headphone jack, has wireless charging though

Samsung bloatware is miserably bad.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

I thought most of their plans had hotspots built in?

It's throttled to 2G/3G speeds and generally heavily depri

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

If you don't care about getting a ludicrous amount of spam and all your info sold, new HSN customers get $15-20 off and Tracfone ends up being $30-50ish for a SIM with 1500 minutes per year (per year, not per month), a free phone locked to Tracfone loaded with spyware, and a bullshit rewards programme that lets you get another 6-12 months for free. If you end up randomly allocated a SIM that is not Verizon resold, you can just take the SIM out and use it on any phone.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

I really hate the "It's totally not at all a contract, it's just a 24 month loan that we give you a slight discount on once a month, PS if you try to pay off your device early you lose the discount and also pay a penalty"

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

LastInLine posted:

That's the point of the discount, to keep you a customer. If you could pay off the phone immediately and leave then why should they give you the discount?

Or is this one of those "I want it unfair in my favor" things?

I meant it just rubs me off wrong to advertise how everyone keeps screaming "we're contract free!!!" while effectively it's a much worse installment loan.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

a decently high tier credit card probably covers theft/loss included for free if you buy the device full price non-contract with that card

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

That typically runs out quickly. Amex Plat purchase protection is good for 90 days. High end Chase Visa cards go to 120. If you have a loss within that window, it's definitely worth filing - it's usually $0 deductible and reimburses the full price you paid - but it runs out very quickly compared to the AppleCare up-to-five-years window.

I think it's separate from purchase protection, there are a number of cards (Chase Ink?) that continually cover it as long as you pay the monthly bill with that card.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

BonHair posted:

My wife's phone finally stopped working enough for her to need a new one. However, she's super picky in that she wants a small phone (current is 4.7 inches, which is good) and also for it to be cheap. Is there any actual worthwhile small phones out there that aren't expensive? We're in Denmark, and for the record very plan agnostic.

She's been looking at an iPhone 8, how current would that be? Otherwise, she doesn't care about OS, although I would prefer something other than a Samsung.

iPhone SE Gen2?

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

VOIP is generally banned from all sites for abuse and spam. Account sharing is also permanently bannable (and will hit your employees' personal accounts too if any).

If this is social media, the solution that everyone uses is to use a service like Sprinklr or Hootsuite, basically social media for enterprise.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

just pop in a tmobile prepaid sim $50/100gb for a month? and pay for one month only?

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

cr0y posted:

It may be this easy, I havent had this particular need before I usually just use my daily driver phone as a hotspot when needed. I am assuming I'd need an unlocked hotspot of some sort? Unless I just stick with T-Mobile

you can get a free tmo locked hotspot shipped 1 day ups https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

residential addresses only, turn off adblock (it does tons of super invasive stuff for to "prevent fraud"); you get a free 30 day sim hotspot plan that starts on first device boot. after that's used up and deactivated, just toss the sim. if you're technically inclined the device they ship you is incredibly insecure and can be unlocked via debug/usb (google snt t9 root).

after that, pick up a new tmobile prepaid sim and you can more or less just buy a day at a time or a month at a time of various amounts of data

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 8, 2021

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

cr0y posted:

Oh god something I can hack/root the gently caress out of sign me up.

Thanks for the feedback goons, I got some tinkering to do.

you're one of those tinkerers!

i'd probably spin up an empty vm and use stock chrome if you have a pihole or adblock or use brave or ..etc. they use a super, super insanely creepy device fingerprinting vendor that also tries to portscan you/your local network from client side js, and if you fail or block any of the scripts they load (including turning off canvas or webgl) your address/phone/name/etc is basically banned from the offer.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

cr0y posted:

FYI, They are using a more secure (less fun) device for test drive now. I just got mine and am bummed out that as of right no one has been able to do much bashing on it. The new device is this something with the model "TMOHS1", and googling that turns up several other annoyed hackers

haha drat. probably because of the number of t9's that turned up on ebay shortly after. they used a coolpad before the t9's for longer, afaik if TMOHS1 googling is correct, giving out the T9 lasted like.. one or two months

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Tripod on a table or a gimbal with stand?

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Samsung phones do come with the caveat that you are giving a handy to Samsung though, from $1.5k devices that have full screen push notification image ads for other Samsung products to the Samsung app store etc

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I heard about that with their TVs, yeah. Are the phones as bad?

Yes.

In my experience Samsung are decent at hardware but their software quality, security, and business practices are worse than Google or Apple.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

If you buy the phone outright you should almost certainly be able to just move the SIM into it.

Android should have a built in migration tool where you just touch the two phones together or scan a QR code to set up wifidirect. I don't know if something as old as 4.4 can go straight to 10-11, but I don't see where AT&T has anything to do with it.

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

if you are postpaid, att will probably give you a new sim for free, ask on live chat

edit: the pixel 4a supports esim, no? att should be able to allocate you an esim. but unless something has changed that requires you to get a physical qr code on a card because att is terrible at technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biowarfare
Nov 8, 2010

are you in a MAJOR city or a 2nd tier city / smaller town / suburbs, and how is service on metro?

t-mobile prepaid is prioritised higher than any mvno like metro on their network, and is $50 for 1 line with 3g hotspot. if you get decent coverage on metro, you will probably want at least band 71 on the next phone you get for t-mobile service.

if you are ultra price conscious on data and potentially in a decent area for it, visible is $25/m for unlimited data. data latency is higher than usual (it will transit through colorado) but i've used about 800-1300GB/month without complaints for $25

Biowarfare fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 11, 2021