Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
God guys, I'm a situation.
My slide phone is dying and I have to upgrade to a smartphone. I'm on AT&T. I'm pretty sure I can choose from an Iphone and a Galaxy and a bunch of other crazyname poo poo I don't know about, so any advice on those would be great. Also any advice on a reasonable data plan, like what is a good amount of data to have? My phone has been strictly call/text and it's all I really know, and I knew this day would come. Please help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Alright. I'm looking at AT&T's payment plans, and I'm due for an upgrade so I can get away with an iPhone 4s (should I?) for free, but then they also have something called AT&T Next, which is some system where you do payments for the phone for 20 months, but after 12 months you can upgrade the phone and drop further payments. I read this Lifehacker article and it suggests that these alternative payment plans are bullshit traps, or something.
I'm not totally poor so I can drop some money on a newer phone, but I mean I've been living with a slide phone for years so anything I get I imagine will be better than what I've had. Would I even know the difference between a free 4s and an iPhone 5 I have to pay $200 for, plus a plan?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks a bunch. I guess the last thing to wonder about is the storage capacity. Having never had one of these things, I don't have much of a clue about how storage space is used. I think of video, pictures, apps, and music. Is 16GB enough? How much space does all that smartphone poo poo take up?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Time to get a new phone and a new plan. I’m currently using my very first smart phone that I bought years ago, my beloved iPhone 5S. It’s a piece of poo poo. I’m also hopping off the phone plan I share with my brother to get one of my own.

My coworker recommended Google Fi, and I like the part about only being charged for data I use. I only use a few gigs each month since work and home have WiFi.

My price range for the phone I guess is $200-300, but I haven’t done much research and I don’t know what’s available and what they cost. Like I said, my current phone is the first smart phone I ever had, and back then I just got an iPhone because it was easy. I’ve never been too into researching this stuff.

TLDR; Is Google Fi the best single person plan for someone who uses less than 5GB most months? And what’s a good phone to go with it that has a decent camera and storage space? No more iPhones for me.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If I’m dead set on the Pixel 2 or 3, and I’m a single user out of contract, is that $400 off Verizon deal the best thing for me? My understanding is that a prepaid plan would likely be cheaper for my data use (~5GB/mo), but prepaid plans have no phone discounts and I’m still using my iPhone 5S. USA btw.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for that math, but honestly I’m only considering Verizon because of the phone discount. I’m currently on an AT&T family plan, but I want to leave it and get my own plan. I want decent service at a decent price for my usage, but it’s also time to upgrade my phone. If I could get a Pixel 3 on some other plan for cheaper than Verizon is offering, I would be tempted. This will only be my second smart phone, I’m not very experienced with switching plans and phones and everything.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Word on the net is that Best Buy is doing the same $400 off Pixel 3 deal, but you can pay the phone off right away and have it unlocked without getting into a Verizon plan. Gonna go to my local store and see if it's real.

Edit: Got a 64GB for $400+tax. Had to sign up for the cheapest Verizon data, and may or may not have to pay for one month of it, but paying off the phone in full apparently frees you to stop service without penalty. No data contract involved.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 23, 2018

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Alright so I got my new Pixel 3 and now I need a plan. I contribute $40 to my mom and brother's AT&T 15GB shared family plan but I want to get on my own thing if it isn't too much more expensive. USA, 5GB per month 4G LTE, just one line. Unlimited talk/text. What are my best options for at least 720p streaming youtube/netflix and general internet use?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
No phone is worth $800 imo but I'm totally keen on my unlocked Pixel 3 I got for $400 from the Best Buy Black Friday deal that turned out to be too good and also true. Verizon told me all Pixel 3s are unlocked out of the box nowadays so if you get one on a device payment plan that allows you to pay it off, you can just pay it off then cancel service at a pro-rated cost. I paid Verizon $7 for two days of service then put my ATT sim in. Verizon probably learned a lesson from that deal though so ymmv in the future.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Anyone who says cases are worthless has never used an otter box. My first smart phone was my iPhone 5s that survived dozens of drops over 6-7 years, and when I finally replaced it a month ago, I removed it from the case I bought with it back then and it was still shiny and like new.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

butt dickus posted:

So now you have an obsolete phone that looks like new, what's the point? Our work phones have otterboxes on them and they're a pain in the rear end to hold and use, as well as being uncomfortable in the pocket. My personal phone goes caseless and I don't drop it because I developed the appropriate motors skills when I was a toddler.

I went through the process of wiping and unlocking it so my girlfriend's dad could finally get into the smart phone game for free, but I know what you mean by obsolete. And saying, "I promise not to drop my phone" is not a good argument against the efficacy of phone cases. But feel free to post rudely about it I guess.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Idk about y'all but my ATT coverage has poo poo the bed in the past year. They're building hella houses in my town and chopping trees down so my signal should be better if anything!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I can't seem to find a U.S. prepaid individual plan that offers better than 420p streaming. AT&T can barely stream YouTube when I'm sitting on my porch. I use on average 5GB per month. Are good speeds reserved for unlimited plans or what?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, almost all prepaid plans don’t get priority over postpaid. Not sure if you even get better streaming on unlimited prepaid.

What’s your monthly cost ?

I've been on an AT&T family plan with my mom and brother for years and have been meaning to go solo, just haven't taken the initiative. I forget how much it is per line, but I give my mom $45 a month. I knew years ago that I'd pay more to go solo, and I'm fine with that. I just want good coverage and non-miserable streaming.

edit: Looks like to get 720p streaming on Verizon you have to do a $90/line per month unlimited plan. Can't justify that price for my usage so I guess I'll have to live with 480p streaming and throttled service. :shrug:

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Sick of AT&T dropping calls and internet coverage in my part of town, is Verizon my best bet for consistent coverage? Looks like for one line $70/mo is the cheapest I'll look forward to though I have Hulu and Disney+ so I'll probably get their $80/mo plan that includes those.