Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Auto-Correct is generally so good these days that you don't have to be dead on accurate with your key presses. Typing on a touch screen is basically a non-issue because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

Predictive text input and the rest of your mouth for just the right direction without giving me a call from a huge pile of pizza leftovers was the first time I saw your ad.

Mods please change my name to “huge pile of pizza leftovers”

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I upgraded from the SE to an 8. Until I got the 8 I didn’t feel like the SE seemed outdated but now it sort of does. Mine also took a moderate performance hit with iOS 11. Even though the battery was at 86% health it was still being throttled. However that wouldn’t be an issue with a new SE and when iOS 11.3 is released you will have the option to disable the throttling.

It’s more or less the only good small smartphone in production though. You can get them for pretty cheap with carriers, but for the same price I would maybe suggest a newer mid-range phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Cricket’s speeds are capped at around 8-10 mbps download. This is enough for most people and I used to recommend them, but they seem to be throttling the speeds more and more now to the point where most of the time I was getting less than 1 mbps. I live in a busy area so that probably has some effect.

I switched to AT&T’s prepaid and for now it is great. They cap their unlimited data plan at 3mbps but their 2 and 6 GB plans have no caps on the speed and I haven’t seen any throttling. I’m the evening I can get over 100mbps. They also have rollover data as long as you autopay or pay before your month is over, which gives me plenty of data.

Verizon states that they may throttle prepaid speeds in areas of heavy congestion in the fine print but most of the time it should be fine.

Honestly I don’t see much of a reason to go with MVNO networks anymore for the time being unless for a cheap talk and text only plan since the prepaid service on the parent networks are better.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Minidust posted:

Does AT&T throttle data speed on its pre-paid U.S. plans? I don't mean after 22GB, I just mean slowed down in general like what they do for Cricket. I saw some articles alluding to this, but they were pretty old.

My wife and I might go prepaid since we don't really care about losing a new phone subsidy/lease option, but if data is slow that's gonna be a no-go.

I switched from Cricket to AT&T’s 6 GB plan and it is not throttled. I’ve hit over 100 MBPS in speed tests. AT&T’s prepaid unlimited plan is capped at 3 MBPS.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL have the exact same camera.

The iPhone X and 8+ also have the same camera. The 8 is the same as well, just without telephoto and portrait mode.

But yeah, those and the Galaxy S8 and S9 are the best.

I’ve played with all except the S9 and each seems to excel in one area although they are all pretty close:

Galaxy S8: low light photography
Pixel 2/2XL: detail and contrast
iPhone 8/8+/X: accurate white balance, and best white levels and color saturation

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Comcast launched a new MVNO service called Xfinity Mobile, which current Comcast subscribers can use. It uses Verizon's network. Anyone used it? Are the data speeds capped like on most virtual networks?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All the newer iPhones are slippery bars of soap without a case, so unfortunately, you kind of need one. But, you really, truly no longer need an obnoxious Otterbox or something along those lines, as today's phones are much, much more durable than they were in the early smartphone days. All you need is a simple case with a bumper that provides grip and protrudes slightly beyond the screen surface. $10 Spigen cases on Amazon work just fine. Screen protectors are also no longer needed, just don't store your phone and keys in the same pocket.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

Counterpoint: toddlers.

That's true. Toddlers might need an Otterbox for their iPhone XS's.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had small Androids, then an iPhone 5, then an iPhone SE. I used to say I would never want a big phone, but I upgraded to an iPhone 8 last year, and now I think its the perfect size for a phone and I couldn't imagine going back to anything smaller.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to get a phone with the best possible camera, excellent night mode, and wide/telephoto lens. I have an iPhone 8 and I know the 12 Pro is an obvious answer, but I'm considering switching to Android and trying to figure out if I can get similar quality for cheaper. For years I have considered Google Pixel phones for their raved about cameras, but almost every time I've ever tried a display model, it is either overheating or frozen. I know they are display models, but it doesn't sit well with me. They also feel cheap.

Oh, also I don't want a "plus-sized" phone.

So I'm looking into Samsung but I don't know much about their models. I see the S20 FE is a new "value" option, but does it's camera compare to the S20/Note 20?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding Spigen. I''ve used them for years. Cheap, good quality, and enough protection for everyday drops. Most people do not need Otterbox level protection anymore now that phones are actually durable.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best current phone I can get for under $200?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

I got my mom a Motorola Moto G Power after she cracked the screen on her Pixel 3a and she likes it as much as her Pixel. The 32 gb is $199 and the 64 gb $249 but it goes on sale fairly often.

Thanks! I checked out the models at Best Buy and this does seem to be the only one in that price range that doesn't feel like a budget phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you're paying for only your own line, it is basically always cheaper to purchase the phone outright and use a pre-paid plan. Maybe not much cheaper, but I'd rather just bite the bullet and purchase the phone all at once vs. having a monthly bill that is double or more what a pre-paid plan costs.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks for the info. I ended up spreadsheet'ing it out. There's a million ways to do it which makes it a pain. ATT would give me $800 for my OnePlus 7Pro trade in (about $325 more than I paid for it?) but even with my ATT employer discount it ended up being more expensive over the 30 month term than buying it for $999 from Best Buy and sticking with h2o wireless. Plus I can sell my phone on swappa (or keep it for biking / skiing days), plus I live in Shithole USA and won't get 5g for a year or two, so no point upgrading from h2o's LTE service.

So I ended up doing that. My last two phones were OnePlus so it's nice having an actual decent camera, and the zoom is pretty slick.

Yep. Recently I was very tempted to finally get a contract plan by those "we'll give you $700+ for your phone!" promotions, but ultimately even with those, it was still cheaper in the long run to buy the phone outright. Contract plans are just that much more expensive.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So, phone insurance. I don't use contract plans and refuse to use them. AppleCare+ With Theft & Loss is pretty great because you know if you lose your phone they have full documentation of the phone you had and are going to give you either a new or basically new replacement. As far as I know, Apple is the only manufacturer that offers theft & loss replacements. Samsung and Google offer care plans, but they don't include theft & loss, for example. So my question is, are there other ways to get theft and loss coverage without a contract plan that would also be as low hassle as AppleCare?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So, phone insurance. I don't use contract plans and refuse to use them. AppleCare+ With Theft & Loss is pretty great because you know if you lose your phone they have full documentation of the phone you had and are going to give you either a new or basically new replacement. As far as I know, Apple is the only manufacturer that offers theft & loss replacements. Samsung and Google offer care plans, but they don't include theft & loss, for example. So my question is, are there other ways to get theft and loss coverage without a contract plan that would also be as low hassle as AppleCare?

Quoting myself here to add a follow up. Basically I'm looking to switch from Apple to Samsung, and want peace of mind knowing that if I lose my $1,000+ phone, I can get a replacement without breaking the bank. Samsung has Samsung Care+ but it does not include loss & theft coverage. Asurion, it turns out, is offered through my AT&T Prepaid service. They seem to be a relatively common option. Does anyone have experience or feedback with them?

Best Buy also offers loss & theft coverage through their Geek Squad Complete Protection program if you buy through them, but my gut tells me to steer clear away from anything Geek Squad.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 17, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

is there a reason you want samsung specifically? i think you're going to be disappointed after coming from an apple device. if you get a phone from fi, you can add device protection that covers loss/theft.
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6309809?hl=en#zippy=%2Closs-or-theft

Why do you say that? I'm interested in the S21 Ultra because of its camera capabilities (10x optical zoom, for example), and 120hz refresh rate. I've used iPhone for 8 years now and am just kind of bored with it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

they sell you on specs, but their software situation is pretty poor. they come with secondary versions of a lot of applications, and there are ads even in the built-in system software. the samsung defenders will come in here and say "but it's easy to remove with adb" or "you can just ignore it" or "it's not as bad as it used to be" but do you really want a phone that comes pre-crapped up out of the box? additionally, android phones have much shorter support periods than iphones, and with samsung devices, you have to wait longer for os updates the older your phone is. here's the thread where we argue about it in case you want more opinions

Hmm. Good points. After 8 years on iPhone I'm definitely bored with it, but it's hard to deny that it still has many pros that I care about. I briefly tried a Pixel 4a and was very impressed with how clean and streamlined the OS is, but I suppose that is not a good representation of all Android. Also, the Pixels have extremely cheap build quality for their price.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

the pixel "a" series is the budget line with plastic housings, fewer cameras and less cpu grunt. the main line has the same glass/metal construction as the iphone. the pixel line is the closest you will get to an iphone experience in android world, as the os and hardware are designed by the same company. i use the pixel 5 and would highly recommend it, but i'm also a miserable person who takes effectively 0 pictures unless it's to know how to put something back together

The main thing that tipped me off to the 4a's poor build quality was that after only a few days of using it, the casing would creak if you applied light pressure. Have you noticed anything like that with the 5? What I might do instead of hold out and see what Google's next phone is like. For instance, I really do like having three camera lenses, and maybe they will add a third for the Pixel 6.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I always, always hear of Samsung phones having issues, and even though they seem like the nicest phones available right now, I'm hesitant to ever get one because of this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

T.C. posted:

So, I have a pixel 3 and was planning on using it until it stopped working. Got myself a big screen crack a while back and kept on trucking. Now the phone mic has stopped working, and the speaker intensity is much lower. This is problematic for using it as a phone!

I'm considering buying another pixel 3… because it's fine. But what's out there in the smaller sized phone with reasonably clean Android install side of the market that's worth looking at? I'm looking at the pixel 5, but I can get a used pixel 3 for under 200 bucks Canadian.

You can get a Pixel 4 for about the same price or pay a little bit more for a new 4a.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

twerking on the railroad posted:

What's the best camera on a phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack?

This isn't a full recommendation request... yet, I wanted to get an idea what's out there before specifying carrier/budget/etc.

My guess would be the Google Pixel 5A. They take excellent photos.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah for phone insurance options, it basically doesn't get better than AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, and the pricing is similar to other options. If you live near an Apple Store it's even better and basically a no brainer to choose it over other options.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you still want to go the prepaid route, I have used AT&T Prepaid for a few years now and have had nothing but excellent service with it. I never feel throttled. In fact, they don't even throttle the non-unlimited data plans, but even when I used the unlimited one I never seemed to be throttled. In huge crowds I still get a super fast signal. In this day and age I would never suggest anyone use an mvno as their main service and think that those should only be used as secondary services. YMMV depending on where you live, of course, but in my past experience, mvnos were often unusable in congested areas.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Probably the Pixel 5a or whatever the current "budget" Pixel is.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't know anything about phones, but I want to stop carrying my DSLR around with me.

I want a really good camera but have 0 interest in things like phone screen quality, playing games, any sort of powerful anything. What is the best camera you can run whatsapp on basically?

I want an A or S tier camera for as cheap as possible. Any ideas?

I know the struggle. I think it's worth it to get a phone with 3 fixed lenses (ultrawide, wide/normal, telephoto), so perhaps look into seeing if you can get a previous generation Google Pixel, iPhone, or Samsung Galaxy that has 3 lenses for a decent price? They are typically considered to be the top 3 for phone cameras. When looking at JUST the camera quality, I would go with a Google Pixel.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a fan of iPhone and dislike Samsung phones, but I would not buy the SE. You're buying a phone with a design that is now 8 years old. The new one still isn't even an OLED screen. It's going to feel super outdated even if it's actually pretty powerful.

jiggerypokery posted:

They are both at least twice as much as I was expecting to spend. I am completely overwhelmed. I just want to take good pictures and not carry a dslr around with me any more. I've seen a refurbished s20 ultra for half the price. Would there be such a big difference that I would regret getting that over a pixel 6?

Maybe a refurbished Pixel 5? $300 on Amazon right now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I have a DSLR and an iPhone 13 Pro, and as far as well-exposed shots go, 9 times out of 10 the 13 Pro takes as good as, if not a better image than the DSLR. Sure, if you zoom in down to the pixels, the 13 Pro will be noisier, but in practice people don't ever do that. A DSLR will obviously be superior when it comes to getting creative with focal lengths and long exposure, plus the images resulting will allow for more editing before looking distorted. But for just every day shooting or even just having a camera on you at all times, the 13 Pro is honestly comparable in quality. Night mode obviously can't compare to long exposure and HDR techniques with a tripod, but I predict in a few more years it might compare.

My only complaint is that iPhones tend to over-process the images which sometimes requires me to undo that a bit in editing, but they're getting better and are often very close to how I would have edited them anyway.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My roommate has a Pixel 6 and it seems fine? The camera bump is obnoxious but he got a case that makes the back flat. It’s a little bulky and heavy I guess but nothing too crazy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don't deny yourself a better phone just for the headphone jack when a simple little adapter fixes the issue.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I played around with a Pixel 4a and 5 and they did take great photos. My roommate got a Pixel 6 and the other got a 6 Pro and both of them take considerably worse photos than my iPhone 13 Pro. I'm not sure what happened.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only real limitation is the lack of optical zoom that would be able to zoom in far enough for good shots. I know some phones boast a huge zoom range but it's nothing like a real telephoto lens on a real camera. I say this is someone who does photography as a hobby but uses my iPhone half the time. In other words, phones can do very good photography but the lack of true optical zoom is a limitation for stuff like sports photography.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How is Mint Mobile? $15 unlimited is hard to beat, but I imagine it's throttled to hell.

I tried MVNOs in the past but found that way too often I couldn't get any data. I live in a congested area with lots of tourists (Orlando) so I imagine my experience differs from someone in a less dense area.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

As far as I can see, it is only $15 for the first 3 months and then it becomes $30 each month if you lock into a 1-year contract.

Pretty sleazy IMO, though, since I use Google Voice and can swap between carriers pretty easily, I'm kind of tempted to see if I can get away with signing up as a new customer every 3 months.

Ah, nevermind. Not worth it for MVNO service.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
An aux jack in the year 2023 is asking too much, yes. You're not going to find one on any decent phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When Apple first eliminated the headphone jack it was proven that the space where it would have been when compared to the previous model was not used by anything else. But its removal does make the phones more water resistant, or something.