Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Whelp I managed to break my nokia n8. I had about a week of bad reception after wetting the phone, now the radio seems to be completely out.
Things I liked about it were offline maps with directions and a decent camera. I hated the terrible selection of apps and support.

Are there any modern phones out there other than windows phone that has good offline map support? The app ecosystem for windows 8 mobile doesn't look very promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Question for those who might know:

We're with Sprint (US) and my wife's old phone, the HTC EVO, recently stopped working after a little over two years with it. She was very happy with the EVO.

We just got married in November, so unfortunately, we're not really ready to drop the couple of hundred dollars we could do to get a phone without a contract. The Sprint store employee recommended the Galaxy S5, which we could do on the two year year lease. I figure if I can make my phone last for long enough, we can eat the next two years with Sprint, and then maybe move to T-Mobile and buy phones outright instead of going with the contract. I've felt overcharged by Sprint for awhile and I have family members with T-Mo who prefer it.

I think tmoble offers payment plans for phones. It may be worth comparing that total cost with sprint.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

LastInLine posted:

the 2014 Moto X will be $350 for the 32GB model for one day:

Thanks. Now I am $400 poorer. It is about time to retire this n8.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I was about to go out and buy a decent point and shoot camera, but then started to wonder what the point was unless I am carrying it with me all the time. This brings me to the cell phone thread:

I used a Nokia n8 all the way through 2015 (when the USB port gave out) because it was such a solid piece of hardware with a wonderful camera. It even had a xenon flash and a half-press focus/full press shoot button. Of course symbian OS was absolute poo poo by today's standard.
Since then I moved to a MotoX 2014. Solid smart phone but the camera is meh and can't be updated to output raw images. Also I can't keep a solid grip on it while doing one handed landscape oriented photos.

Is there anything out there that does a good job of being camera first, smart phone second? My requirements would be:
-raw image output
-easy to grip firmly with only right hand while operating camera
-decent optics and sensor
-sd card slot or USB On-the-go
-I guess do an okay job at smartphone stuff too like web browsing and 3rd party map software.

As for price I'm thinking about $400 but could swing another $200 if that's was it takes to get what I want.

e:The requirement to have a good one hand grip scales with price. I won't feel as bad if I drop a $200 phone while riding a bike.

Also I use T-Mobile if that still matters these days.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 20, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Can't you just not reauth WhatsApp with the new number?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

the 18:9 screen.
Do they actually advertise it as 18:9, because that sure is an asinine way to say 2:1?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ErikTheRed posted:

Is the Nokia 6.1 still the recommended cheap phone? My mother-in-law is joining our Cricket plan and she's upgrading from a flip phone.
I just got one last week. I'm quite happy with it for the price. Only complaint is the camera kind of sucks compared to flagship phones and half of the 32gigs is used by the OS.

I love having a finger print sensor now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

anakha posted:

Have you installed the Google Camera app? It won't get your phone to Pixel level camera-wise but it's a massive improvement over the stock app.
Looks like that can improve things some but I can't find any setting to save directly to the SD card.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cebrail posted:

Nokia 6.1 (3/32GB) - 220€

Are there any relevant up- or downsides for one of these?
Nokia 6.1 seems quite good for the price but the camera is a poo poo even compared to my old 2014 moto x. Not just the image quality, but the stock camera app just likes freeze/hang sometimes unless I turn off HDR and location tags.

Except for the camera and small storage, it feels like a flagship phone in my hands with great physical build quality.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Whelp, I just put my month old nokia 6.1 through a full wash cycle. I hope it will come back on after drying out, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to glue the screen back on if it does.
Have a couple picks of the innards along with the bright pink water intrusion indicators:

I guess they weren't kidding when talking about having a machined body.

update:It's working again!... except for the cellular radio :(

So I guess I'm in the market for a new phone again... which I guess will be another 6.1

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 1, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Now that the Android 9 update is out I can recommend the Nokia 6.1 for $200.

The update has made the camera go from literally unusable to "meh, okay for a cheap phone".

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It seems like Nokia 6 series might be a good choice for you if we weren't in this akward time after 6.1 is no longer stocked and 6.2 isn't released yet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Inverse square posted:

Hey folks. I don't care about having a good camera. Are there any "catches" to getting a super cheap smart phone?
I made this mistake a few months back buying a phone for my partner's dad who has some stroke related brain problems. I was just going to find a Nokia 6.1 for ~$180. I should have just bought it before mentioning the price because that was too expensive.

Instead we ended up with an Asus Zenfone Live for ~$80. It is super plasticity. The display gets all corrupted occasionally unless you turn hardware acceleration off. Also the phone started to think something was plugged into the headphone port, so it would not play over the speaker. Somehow that last one was not a hardware problem and factory resetting the phone fixed it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

blk posted:

I'm having mild phone addiction issues. I'd like to leave my phone by the door when I'm at home and just keep a dumbphone in case of emergency. Any recommendations for something that will work with Ting, or should any phone work?
Same question but just for SMS, 'cause lol at actually answering the phone when 95% of calls are robocalls.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

What model phone and what carrier ?
Oh, I have a Nokia 6.1 on T-Mobile right now and am having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need to look at somethingawful.com (or slack/email/news) while I'm still in bed, pooping, or while my girlfriend is talking to me and I should just walk 10 feet over to my computer instead.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Uthor posted:

Android has Digital Wellbeing in the settings. I would play with those settings before spending money. That should let you set limits or schedule times where apps stop working.
I think this would be a lot more useful if I could set up geofencing instead of just time schedule.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Isn't every phone mediocre or expensive? Like aren't those literally the only choices available in the universe?
To be fair, there are some that would be a stretch to even call mediocre because they can't even reliably just act as a phone when pushing into the sub $100 range.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

sourdough posted:

Apps and services keep getting bigger and more complex,
Ugh, tell me about it. Here is a selection of apps that use an order of magnitude more storage than I would have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

simmyb posted:

Just smashed my 6.1 which I really liked and not sure what to get.
I liked the feel of my 6.1, but it was becoming a mess. Phone calls were super quiet even over bluetooth, but speaker and wired headset was fine. MMS would take forever to send or outright fail. And the fingerprint reader was just unreliable enough for me to regret using a strong password to unlock 1password.

I just picked up a pixel 4a to replace it. It's fine, it just doesn't have the same physical feel though.