Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just in case this still works:

• Country/Provider: Canada/Bell; possibly open to switching

• Current contract status: paying $56/mo, phone long since paid off, unlimited Canada-wide minutes, 1GB data.

• Budget (phone/plan): $60/mo

• Features I know I want: a smartphone that works and will take as many years as possible to stop working. Canada-wide minutes for calling family in Yukon and Nova Scotia.

This is for my partner. She's been with Bell for 15 years. Her iPhone 4 has finally given up the ghost, and she's allowing herself to buy a new phone. She's favouring an Android for this one.

Bell offers a range of phones for "$0", but only offers plans starting at $70/mo, and somewhere closer to $90/mo for the features she currently gets (with a lot more data which she doesn't need). She can probably bargain them down with some kind of loyalty plan.

Koodo (by example) offers plans with similar features to what she's getting (2GB data, unlimited minutes) for $50/month, plus $10-$15 on the "tab" for the phone, which stops after 24 months.

Is it worth sticking with Bell, or moving over? And what are some good, long-lasting, not too expensive android phones right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So it's time for me to get a new phone. My current phone is a Sonim XP7, which I got because I wanted a tougher phone with more battery. Unfortunately the camera sucked, the processor was laggy even when I first got it, the cell phone radio was flakey, and I'm pretty sure the GPS never actually worked.

I'm on a "corporate individual liability" with a pretty good rate (CAD$48/month for 4.5GB data).

What I want from a phone:

- Make and receive phone calls. On the rare occasions I need to do this, it needs to not lag out.
- Act as a map.
- Allow me to browse random poo poo on the web/Awful App.
- Be my main camera.
- Be waterproof and reasonably durable (happy to just toss on a Lifeproof case though).
- Be as future-proof as possible -- I try to moderate my e-waste.
- Have decent battery life.

The options available through my plan and at roughly my price point are:

Huawei P30 -- CAD$350
Samsung Galaxy S9 -- CAD$350
Google Pixel 3a XL -- CAD$200

I did also think about the Sonim XP8, which they can get for me for around the same price, but it doesn't sound like the camera/cellphone radio/gps issues have gotten better, and the battery isn't that much bigger than the LiPols in the "regular" phones.

The Samsung seems a little tougher, but the Huawei seems to have a better processor, camera and battery. Not really sure about the Pixel.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9530&idPhone2=8966&idPhone3=9408

Any thoughts or things I'm missing?

Oh, also a different provider has a similarly priced plan, but with the S9 for $0 (plus the plan) or the S10e for $270.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Well I ordered the P30. Didn't feel like messing around with changing carriers, and it has a better battery.