Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there a good option right now for someone who wants a smartphone that runs mail and chat apps but doesn't feel like it has to continue to double the screen resolution every generation?

Like, I would be pretty happy with a phone that runs the latest version of stock Android but isn't really determined to play the latest games or streaming video and has a 1280x800 screen, but also isn't total garbage. Do those by any chance exist, or is everything decent stuck on the continuous upgrade treadmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, I guess that answers that, then.

(Although for a while I may just look at putting LineageOS on my OnePlus3, since that has a new battery and should last a while yet.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've gotten really tired of my OnePlus phone (Verizon, USA) occasionally deciding to not receive text messages for days at a time, particularly from iPhone users.

I really liked the Nord N100 because it had a huge battery and an only slightly intrusive manufacturer overlay on Android (because honestly all I really want is a phone that can do normal phone things and check Discord and I don't care about all these new display and camera improvements), but it looks like I'm going to have to switch, and OnePlus seems to have really gone down in the pubic estimation.

Is there an option for a plain-Jane, workhorse Android phone these days, that reliably picks up text messages, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and get an iPhone?