Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
  • Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

• Current contract status: probably expired by now

• Budget (phone/plan): Family plan

• Features I know I want:
    --1 phone that really has no spiffy features. My mom will not care/use them/know they are there. I am unsure if she cares if it's a flip or not.
    --1 phone for a 20 year old college student that will let her put her own ringtones on. My sister likes the LG Rumor. Good? Bad? Will explode?

Backstory:
My mom is wanting to upgrade the phones in her family plan (I have nothing to do with it) and I just wanted some general advice on what phones to pick. They are coming from 2 Sanyo 4950's (mom and her boyfriend) and a Sanyo flip thing (sister) that looked like it was a toy. Seriously, it looks like a WalMart toy that was given to a dog to chew on for a bit (that part is true). My mom will probably extend her contract and most definitely will not change providers again. I've been out of the CDMA phone loop for a while so I'm not sure which direction to steer her in. If anyone can give me a couple of tips, I'd be grateful.

topenga fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

The Rumor sucks hard, get the Samsung Rant instead, it's 3G and better hardware all around and only $50.

Low-end Samsungs (520, 320, or 300) or the Katana will work fine for your mom. Samsungs have a nice big dialing font if she wears glasses.

Nice, thanks! I will pass along the info.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks for the Sprint phone recommendations, guys. My mom liked how big the font was on one of the Samsungs (520?) but she really liked how the Katana LX looked. So, she picked up 2 Katana LX's and the Samsung Rant (for my sister). Since I'm an evil big sister, I told my mom to put the Rant in her stocking and wrap the box containing my "blinged out" dummy Sidekick under the tree.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Overbite posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Tracfone

Current contract status: none

Budget (phone/plan): cheap as possible with both

Features I know I want: Camera, text, mp3 ringtones

My parents bought me a Tracfone for christmas years ago and it's ok but Tracfone is a horrible company and they have no customer service. I want an real cell phone now, but I don't want to get into a contract because I don't use up a ton of minutes. Right now my tracfone costs me about $20 every 3 months.

I don't need the newest phone out there, just something with a camera and mp3 capabilities. The cheapest I can find is $40 a month with at&t but thats a contract.

What about an unlocked phone with the features you want and a prepaid plan from T-mobile? 1000 minutes for $100 and the minutes expire in a year. When your renewal comes up, you can spend as little as $10 to top up and keep the minutes you haven't used. I use a Sony Ericsson w810i on prepaid (I know, a waste for such a feature packed phone). Has a camera, text, and mp3 ringtones as well as a mp3 player. I'm sure other folks around here can find you a cheaper phone.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

kalibar posted:

You want T-Mobile To Go. 10cent/minute pre-paid and you can use any sweet-rear end unlocked GSM phone on the planet. The only stipulation is that you do have to buy $100 worth of minutes per year (and they have to be consumed within a year from purchase date), so you end up paying T-Mobile a bare minimum of $8.33 per month. That will only be a "problem" if your minute usage is absurdly low, though -- as long as you average greater than 84 minutes a month, you're using everything you're paying for.

Not quite. After you've added the $100 once, you can add whatever amount later and the minutes expire in a year. You do not have to put $100/year. My last manager uses so few minutes it's ridiculous. He put on $100 and just added $10 when they got ready to expire. I'm pretty sure he's got a bank of 1400 minutes by now.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

kalibar posted:

poo poo, even better.

I've also heard tales of the $100 cards showing up at Walmart for silly poo poo like $95.88 or whatever.

Oh yeah. All the time. WalMart and Target. Hell, sometimes Target will run a special where you buy a $100 or $50 card and get a prepaid phone kit free. No lie.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Oceanlife posted:

On pay-as-you-go phones is it possible to check voicemails from a different number without using your minutes?

Yes. I do it all the time.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Ugh. Okay so, I've skimmed the last 10 or so pages of this thread and see that Motorola is no longer recommended. I get it. But the person I'm shopping for needs a new phone and does not give any amount of fucks about the latest greatest, ties your shoes for you features. It's FRUSTRATING. He currently has my ancient Moto X4 and it is showing it's age. I'd LOVE to throw a pixel at him and go on with life (backup plan) but is there any Motorola phone that is the least lovely for around $300 and under?

Sorry. Forgot to add:
Carrier: Mint (so unlocked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Cool beans. Thanks much!