Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably a little earlymto be thinking about this, but my AT&T contract ends in June (I got my current contract when the iPhone 3GS came out). Verizon has pretty clear advantage in terms of coverage here including LTE coverage so I'm pretty much definitely going to switch at that point. If current rumors hold true, Apple won't have a new iPhone out at that time. Any ideas what the Android market choices will be at that time? Is there an LTE phone that's no bigger than an iPhone? All of the ones I've seen look enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should be able to just pop your current SIM card into the new iPhone. I think. You'll definitely have to call them to get a data plan set up, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

3D has a 5MP camera, which seems worse on paper, but 8MP with a CCD that small is going to make nosier pictures. There's a reason Apple only has 5MP in the iPhone, and it's not cost.

I wish more people knew this and didn't just go by picture resolution.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Country/Provider: USA / T-Mobile

Current contract status: Everything More Plus

Budget (phone/plan): Let's say under $100, but cheaper is better (I'll get to that)

Features I know I want: I want a dumbphone to keep around in (admittedly unlikely) cases of emergencies where power may not be available, or just to carry in times where I'd rather not have an expensive phone on me. I have a smart phone and have no intention of getting rid of it, but as we all know, battery life is best measured in hours on them, while dumbphones can last days between charges. So, in short, it needs to be able to make calls and I guess send texts. Basically, it doesn't need to do anything more than work and not use battery. If it can store contacts, that's helpful, too, but I imagine that goes without saying on anything remotely modern. I prefer flip phones, too.

I guess what I want to know if there's anything I should specifically avoid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*Supposedly* the hardware problems of the early G2xes were largely fixed with the ones released with Gingerbread, but I'm not sure I believe that. I have a G2x and mine was definitely on the "okay" side of things, but far from perfect. If nothing else, it's good enough for me to hold on until the Google Samsung Galaxy DROID Nexus Prime 4G Touch or whatever comes out (or iPhone 5, depending on how much ICS impresses me). If I could get a Nexus S for under $100 without a contract, I'd snag that in an instant, but it's not happening.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a little scary since I have Dolphin's user agent set to Chrome or something. Not that I'm on AT&T but it could be an issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For what it's worth, iPhones can use Google services, as well. They're not quite as well integrated, but they do work. I use Google Voice for texting and Gmail for push email and contact syncing over the air without an issue. The latter just has to be set up as an Exchange server. (Well, the GV app is a bit crashy with iOS5, but hopefully that will get fixed.)

EDIT: Apparently, Google pulled the GV app until they fix the bug, but they say they're on it.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 18, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

StickFigs posted:

Is an unlocked Android phone just another word for a rooted phone? Or is there some kind of hardware difference and only certain ones can be unlocked?

This sounds promising so far, all I need to do is find a used mT4G that isn't too expensive and doesn't have a cracked screen.
No, locking mean it will only work on one carrier. This can generally be undone, sometimes by the carrier, sometimes by other methods. Rooting is something completely different.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could port one or both of your numbers to Google Voice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corte posted:

Thanks for the quick response and good advice but it feels like nothing outside of an iPhone is good enough in your opinion, which is not to say that you do not make legitimate points. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to spend an extra $159. There is an iPhone 3S 8GB for free or iPhone 4 8GB for $49 but they are even more dated than the 4S.
He's not saying there's nothing outside of the iPhone that is good enough (although for your desires, that may very well be the case). He's saying that the specific phone you are looking at is not as good a choice as the iPhone. He even specifically mentioned an alternative Android phone and also suggested Windows Phone 7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Read everything kalibar posted above, as it applies to the Skyrocket, as well.

In terms of data speeds, LTE is faster in real-world use than T-Mobile's HSPA+ unless you happen to live in an area with their 42 Mbps network (LTE seems to see right around half that), and probably even then. AT&T caps data, though, so you can run through it pretty quickly at those speeds (T-Mobile throttles while AT&T charges you more).

As far as texting goes, you're not exactly right. Everyone offers unlimited texting, it's just that T-Mobile and Sprint include in your standard plan (in most/all plans, anyway). AT&T and Verizon charge $20 for the privilege. Verizon also offers 1000 texts for $10. If you're switching carriers, get a new number with the new carrier and port your current number to Google Voice. It'll get you free, unlimited texts on any smartphone (well, iPhone, Android, and WP7, anyway), as well as some other benefits, provided you're connected to data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1. The main drawback is that you have to be starting a new line. If you're already a Verizon or AT&T customer, you'd have to start a second line to get that deal.

2a/b. The main thing here is that it will always be the most up to date phone in terms of software (or will for the next year or so, at any rate - it might lag behind slightly when its follow-up is eventually released). This is actually a pretty big deal when you compare to other phones that you never know when or even if an update will come.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rockear posted:

Can you go in to a little more detail about this? All the explanations I've seen about GV texting indicate that you have to train all your contacts to text you at a different number than they call you. I don't really see that working for me. Am I missing something?

You're missing that you can port your number to Google Voice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Basically, unless you're willing to pay an ETF, you'll have to wait u til your contract expires. At that point, you port it to Google Voice. You then sign up for a new contract which will get you a new number, however, you can just have Google Voice forward to it and no one will know the difference. Note that this may be a bad idea if you have an unlimited data plan, but I can't comment on that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kalibar posted:

Google Voice is a lot more useful than just the cash savings -- although admittedly, that's why I initially signed up. You can send and receive texts from any web browser and you can install the GV client on multiple Android devices if you have them (e.g. I'm able to send/receive GV texts from my phone, my tablet, or my computer when I'm at home).
Multiple devices, period. The iOS client is pretty good, though not as well integrated as the Android one. I use it on both my iPhone and iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Timby posted:

Well, the lock/unlock button on my Droid I has finally stopped working. Guess a trip to the Verizon store is in order. Is there word on the Galaxy S II yet?

Yeah, Verizon's not getting it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You'd probably have an easier time if there's ever a problem with your phone if you stuck with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tronester posted:

LG Nitro HD
Don't do it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dead Pressed posted:

It looks like this is the answer to the question I was coming here to ask.

It isn't possible (or wise, maybe) to add a smartphone, such as a used droid I could buy in SAMart, to a plan without a datapack? I'd pretty much have to add that to utilize the other functions of the phone? Verizon, FYI.
It can be done on AT&T because you can simply swap SIM cards between phones. This isn't possible on Verizon and all devices have to be registered with them to be used. As such, I don't think it's even possible to use a dumb phone plan with a smartphone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corte posted:

My hesitance with suggesting the iPhone is that it seems similar to the SGS2 in being a powerful superphone. I assumed it would drain battery faster than a Blackberry that sports a smaller screen and less powerful internals.
Honestly, you're not going to find a smartphone that lasts as long as a Blackberry. That's the one thing they're really, really good at. Still, my iPhone 4S lasts about 12 hours of listening to music with battery to spare.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Country/Provider: USA, AT&T. I travel regularly around the USA lots including Alaska and Hawaii and AT&T is so far good in Alaska.

Current contract status: Out. Had a Iphone 3GS since spring of 09. I currently have unlimited data, can I keep that in any way? Work discount (15% I think?) on my current plan too with 450 Rollover, 1000 texts. I also own a 3G data modem with that I use every now and then with my laptop. With it all on I pay $120 a month, with just the phone $75 per month.

Budget (phone/plan): Unlimited really, within reason. Saving money is nice though. Less than $1000 unlocked on the phone and less than $120/month would be ideal.

Features I know I want:

Iphone 4S, as I love my 3GS, like my existing music, apps, games, etc. As Kalibar notes it is a smartphone that is not a hobby- it just works. I text regularly and use a fair amount of data. Tethering is something I would like to do. My phone is essential for work and play. I currently use ~300mb to 1gb of data a month, and less than 700 minutes a month. If I could tether I would use at most around ~4.5gb per month, and maybe get rid of my other 3g data modem.

My biggest question is if I should buy an unlocked 4S and then just use whatever plan(s) are best for me at any given time, or just get a new contract with AT&T. I would also consider a mobile hotspot of some kind too.

Also what do I do with my AT&T 3GS? Keep it as a spare? Will AT&T buy it back? Thank you phone gods.
If you currently have unlimited data, you'll keep it. I don't think your unlock and switch plans will work out since AT&T doesn't really have any plans that will be better than what you'll get with a contract, anyway. If you want to tether, you'll have to give up unlimited data on the phone, unfortunately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

I currently have a Droid 1 that is on it's last legs. Verizon new phone date is late January. I've been looking at the Droid x, bionic, and razr and they all have a screen that looks weird to me. Like there's a moire or a screen grid. My og Droid doesn't have this nor does the droid3. yvg

Does anyone else see this? I really like the form factor of the Droid x and razr, but not so sure ill be happy with the screen for two years.

Also, heard a rumor that Verizon unlimited data was going away? Currently have unlimited data. Will I be grandfathered in with my current contract?

Finally, how do I find out about 4g service. The salespeople tell me the tower is up and there will be 4g service anytime soon. I'm in southern Santa Clara county, morgan hill - Gilroy area.
It's not a rumor. It's been gone awhile. You should be grandfathered in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You want a Galaxy Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Faustus posted:

OK, thanks! I'll go get one right now!!!

Any particular reason why the Galaxy Nexus is apparently this thread's go-to phone? Looking at the stats, I can't see prima facia why it's a better phone.
In terms of specs, it's pretty par for the course for a current high-end phone, and even lags in certain areas (the camera comes to mind), however, what the specs don't tell you is that it's supported directly by Google instead of going through an OEM, so you'll always have the most up to date phone and almost certainly the longest software support of anything on the market.

Basically, if you're buying a smartphone on Verizon, you should really only be considering this or an iPhone 4S depending on which way your preferences lean.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Praesil posted:

Also if I got a subsidized iPhone 4S and sold it, I'd still be locked to that contract/plan and not be able to downgrade to a non-smartphone plan, right?
I'm fairly certain that data is considered an add-on and you can drop it at any time as long as you switch to a dumbphone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Guys I'm looking for a phone. I need one relatively cheap; I absolutely can't go over $170 and the less money the better. I'm sticking with AT&T for now, so whatever phone I pick will have to be available from/for them. I currently have an iPhone 3G and my biggest issue with it is performance. Everything is slow as hell, and if, for instance, I listen to music, play words with friends, and then receive a text message, the app will crash. This happens with a number of apps and I don't necessarily need to be doing a lot of multitasking depending on the mood the iPhone is in. I don't really care about apps, I just need a phone where it isn't physically painful to load the map.

Can anyone help? Is the 3GS enough of an upgrade to justify the $150? Windows Phone looks cool, are there any in my price range?
Do you have an available upgrade? Because an 8GB iPhone 4 is $100 new.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You won't get 3G using an AT&T Nexus S on T-Mobile. Just email the CL listings if they're AT&T or T-Mobile models. If they don't know, don't buy it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

But isn't the whole drat point of the Nexus line to the common consumer "You shouldn't have to touch your phone at all for updates"? Look, I can see recommending this in one of the Android phone threads, but I don't like the idea of recommending someone in here to try and wade through the festering pool of feces that is XDA for an update that should have been pushed already.
Pretty sure that "You shouldn't have to touch your phone at all for updates" should be a goal for *any* consumer device. (Assuming we are excluding hitting "yes" or "update" or whatever since I don't think even stock Nexus devices just update without any interaction whatsoever.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unless you have a really compelling reason to *not* be on contract (planning on moving out of the country in the next two years or something), you should really get a subsidized phone since you're paying the same either way. Now, whether that means buying a used phone, and subsidizing an iPhone to flip for cash or just getting a better phone is entirely up to you, but I don't think you'll really come out ahead buying a Bionic for $300. ($300+$200 for iPhone = $500, which is about what it will sell for.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. Keep in mind the battery is non-removable.

Also check out the Galaxy Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chroisman posted:

Any particular reasons for favouring this?
It'll actually be supported for a reasonable amount of time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here To Help posted:

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Not under contract

Budget: ~500$

Features: Android, camera

Currently I'm on a family plan with T-mobile with my sister. We're paying $95 (approx 120 after fees) for unlimited texting and 1000 minutes. I'm eligible for an upgrade and she recently purchased an unlocked iPhone 3g. Adding a 2gb data plan costs 20$ for each line and it seems like she could get a better deal on a monthly, no contract plan. I'd like to get a smartphone myself but I need to figure what the hell to do. Is it worth using my upgrade? Can I use it and switch to an individual plan? Should I just buy an unlocked phone and switch to a no contract plan?

At this point I'm feeling a little lost regarding where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't think T-Mobile has no-contract plans anymore that aren't prepaid. The closest thing still available is the Value plan, which requires a contract, but lets you bring your own phone for $20-30/month discount.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last I checked, T-Mobile has the Value plan, which is about $20 less per month than their normal plans but doesn't include a phone subsidy, s you can either buy one outright from them or a used one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ibsen posted:

I just want to let you know I appreciate the info. I'm guessing when it can be loaded with CM, that the sense ui can be removed/overridden?
CM is a close-to-stock Android build. No Sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

taupoke posted:

Can't afford a 4s and I don't think the Nexus is out in my country yet. I don't want a blackberry torch because the two people I know who have one hate it.

edit: oh our cellphone contracts work much different to yours.
This is why the OP includes a list of information for you to include in your post. Otherwise, everyone assumes you're in the US.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

an audible groan posted:

Wow, I'm paying twice that with them on month to month right now. Their website says that that plan requires a new activation-- can I just cancel my account and order a sim card with the same number and that plan, or will something stop me?
You might want to port your number to Google Voice first, then you never have to worry about porting it again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

The price also won't matter with the Galaxy Nexus: it's $229 on Amazon Wireless for renewals.
Except that he's getting a new account. Which it's $99 for. So, instead of buying direct from Verizon, buy from Amazon, spend less, and get a better phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPhone 4S isn't a 4G phone. You should really get a Galaxy Nexus, though, even if it means saving a little more money. Of your choices, though, there's no reason to get a Bionic over a RAZR at the same price unless you really need a removable battery, and the Droid 4 is basically a RAZR with a keyboard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

gently caress it, think I'm gonna get a smartphone. Verizon, eligible for upgrade, and I'm basically looking at the 4s or the Nexus for use in the SF Bay Area.

iPhone is appealing for the smaller size, better battery, better camera, and because it sounds like it's easier to use. On the other hand I'm wondering if the Nexus is worth it for the double data special at Verizon. Not sure if I'd get the 16gb iPhone or the 32, and I don't know if the extra $$ is justified by the extra space. Afaik there are plenty of wifi spots in the city, so maybe 2gb/mo is plenty? Planning on mostly normal phone use plus some email/web browsing and maybe some streaming music.
If you're on wifi most of the time, then 2 GB is plenty. I agree with Duckman that it's kind of a ripoff, but is it any more of a ripoff than 4GB if you're not using anywhere near all of it? My monthly data usage is usually around 500 MB on my iPhone, since I'm connected to wifi at home and work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cheekio posted:

Tethering info was very helpful, so I'll have to do a more thorough investigation of whether it'll be worth the cash.

When I bought my last phone, Samsung was renowned for botching the software side of their offerings. Apparently they cleaned up their act for the Nexus, or is this assuming I'll root it and throw on a new ROM as soon as I get it?
Google develops the software for Nexus phones, not the hardware manufacturer.