Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you want to be a hair unscrupulous, you could probably buy a Verizon Mifi when you get here, then return it before you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CatchrNdRy posted:

Is there some legal reason why there aren't data only plans?
There are. On data-only devices. You could, theoretically, swap SIM cards on an AT&T or T-Mobile plan and have a data-only phone.

But why would they sell you a data-only plan when they can sell you phone plus data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think the phone you're looking for exists.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I am located in Philadelphia PA, US. I have AT&T service, but am not currently under contract so I can move, but I like AT&T in general and simultaneous voice and data is a must for me. I have no budget. I'm loving loaded.

I have been looking around at various phones and I like the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, but I'm concerned that its just going to be the same experience I had with the previous generation phone. Any thoughts on that?
Import a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just get whatever you can find on Craigslist, then get a T-Mobile Value plan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would say a iPhone is you best bet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kalibar posted:

The Galaxy Nexus vs. RAZR Maxx situation is pretty frustrating for customers. "Build it with a big loving stock battery" and "don't install a lovely manufacturer UI on it" should be two really easy requirements to satisfy. Like, these don't seem like the hardest part of smartphone manufacturing to nail.

Unfortunately the Galaxy Nexus intentionally ships with a too-small battery so that they can immediately gouge you for a slightly-larger-but-also-too-small battery. The Droid RAZR Maxx's biggest problem is that it's a Droid RAZR. Great battery, though!
I think you overestimate the number of people who care about manufacturer UIs. Yeah, it's common among the techie crowd, but among most people, they don't know the difference, just that HTCs have a big flip clock and Samsungs have a big blue clock, if that. (Battery is a different story, though.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

psydude posted:

My AT&T contract is about to expire (I'm on my parents' family plan still) and I'd like to jump ship for any of the other 3 carriers. My job pays for my phone bill, so cost isn't a huge issue, however I would like to keep it on the low side anyway. Right now I'm looking at Verizon because by virtue of my second job I wind up spending a lot of time in the rear end in a top hat of the middle of nowhere and occasionally need to tether my laptop. In my experience, Verizon somehow works everywhere you can possibly imagine having a phone. That's not to say I'm opposed to trying out T-Mobile or Sprint, but here's my requirements:

-Good coverage
-Unlimited texting
-Free nights & weekends
-Samsung phones (preferably from the galaxy II line)
-3&4g that doesn't suck dick (AT&T :argh: )

Thanks for any tips!
While I do agree that the Galaxy Nexus is probably what you're looking for, at the same time keep in mind that if you think AT&T's 3G sucks, you better hope Verizon has LTE wherever you go because Verizon's is even worse.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

speedtek posted:

I've been looking to upgrade from my Incredible lately, but don't want to spend a lot. Amazon emailed me today that they have the Droid RAZR for $50. Is this my sign?

e: holy crap the Galaxy Nexus also for $50. Am I reading this right?
Nope. It's $150 for current customers. $50 is only for new lines.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

N. Senada posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: On a family plan, paying $10 for voice only.

Budget (phone/plan): Looking at Galaxy Nexus & iPhone (16gb), phone & plan will cost the same.

Features I know I want: E-mail, maps, beyond that I don't know what I should want.

I'm going into grad school and some people I met have convinced me that having a smartphone might be a good idea. I'm debating about whether to actually get one, or just go with an iPod touch and just use wifi at home and school.

But I keep thinking that having that basic data plan will be nice when I'm not conveniently next to a starbucks or whatever and would like to check stuff.

I want access to e-mail & internet in general primarily. Beyond that it would be gravy. I like the idea of the iPhone (my school just released an app for it that follows bus schedules, local news, etc.) and am comparing it against the Nexus because of this thread.

I'm looking for suggestions about which would be the better option between the two, or if there is a third and superior option. I'm not looking for too much and would like to know if you all think I even need a smartphone for what I'm looking to do.

P.S. I'm in a 4G LTE zone and I'm also thinking I might be able to save the 100 bucks and get the 8gig (but that seems like such a small amount of space).
I can't help you on whether to get a phone or an iPod, but I will say this: if you go for an iPhone, the $100 is well worth it for a 4S. You get a much faster processor and double the storage (and Siri). It'll also be updated a bit longer than an iPhone 4.

If you can, try to spend a little time with both phones. They're both good options and I doubt you'd be disappointed with either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Leper Residue posted:

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't really considering the iPhone before, but I started reading about it some more and it looks pretty good. Is the 4S supposed to be around for a while, or will it be replaced soon?
October at the earliest, and Apple might be going to an 18 month cycle at this point.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

E: The battery life on the iPhone seems preposterously bad after the Maxx, though. I think I'm always going to have to be carrying an external battery pack with me.
How long do you really need a battery to last? I can easily get a work day of listening to music plus some occasional browsing and games without a problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you still under contract with AT&T? If you're not married to them, you can get a Galaxy Nexus for $50 from Amazon.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Samsung-...d=1336589245702

On AT&T, there's the Galaxy S II, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait until October to start thinking about this, since plans and available phones could be very different from now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grossghost posted:

So if Verizon is my only option and I plan on rooting my phone is the RAZR the better option or the Nexus?
The Nexus. Just make sure to unlock it before you do anything else to your phone since it erases all data when you do so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Infinite Monkeys posted:

750mb for £31 a month or unlimited for £38 a month.

That seems a no-brainer to me, but I don't know your financial situation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

More or less. You could probably even just order the plan online at the same time you order the phone, but I'm not sure.

T-Mobile also has a $30/month prepaid plan if you don't use many minutes. Even with added minutes, you'll probably still come out ahead of the Value plan and not have to be on contract.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ok you guys have been a huge help so far, I've got one more question. If you can't tell, I'm not savvy to cell phone technology so forgive me if this is idiotic.

I'm in a Verizon family plan until December (I thought the contract ended in July, which is why I'm looking at new phones, but somebody on the plan upgraded their phone and prolonged the contract).

I want to buy a Nexus, but I'm not paying for a T-Mobile month-to-month while paying for another cell phone at the same time.

If I bought the Nexus, turned off mobile data and solely used wi-fi, could I put my current SIM card into the Nexus and use my current Verizon plan for voice and text? I'd hate to carry two devices but I'm tired of being stuck in the flip-phone stone age.

Nope. Only Verizon Galaxy Nexuses will work on Verizon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

Will AT&T be offering a Nexus or is only buyable from Google? I see some news rumors from April that they might offer one.
I kind of doubt it. I don't think it's been selling particularly well for Verizon. I can't comment on Sprint, but I doubt it's too different there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Would you be buying outright or using an upgrade? Because if it's an upgrade BUY NOW. Like, TODAY. Even if you want the Galaxy S III, just buy an iPhone and don't open it and resell when the Galaxy hits. If you use an upgrade after June 28, you will lose your unlimited plan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Volfogg posted:

WHERE IS THIS INFORMATION?!

Seriously, I need to pass this on to my mom. We STILL haven't used our Family Plan's upgrade and she has a Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan too.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/verizon-wireless-share-everything-pricing-what-you-should-know-about-the-new-june-28-plans

It doesn't mention it, but if you use an upgrade you will be given the option to move to a Share Everything plan OR go to tiered data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I could be wrong, but I don't think added lines get unlimited data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

So, the GNex still shows up for sale on Play. Is this an oversight, or are they still allowed to sell them? Maybe Apple hasn't posted the bond yet?

Apple hasn't posted bond, and I think an injunction would prevent Samsung from importing me, but not Google and Verizon selling throu existing stock.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm going to be traveling out of the country very soon and I'm looking for recommendations for an international GSM phone I can just toss some prepaid cards in as I go so I can call home.

I would obviously like to stick with something cheap, but would also like a smartphone. Performance and stuff isn't really an issue for me since this more or less going to be a burner phone.

What is your price range?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Paramour posted:

Sorry, yeah, the iPhone 5.

They've had that since October.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GEEKABALL posted:

Country/Provider: USA, DFW / AT&T.

Plan: Provided by my employer, so I'm not sure of specifics. Unlimited voice nationwide, data is close to unlimited, no texting allowed.

Budget (phone/plan): I'll pay up to $199.99 (see below)

Features I know I want: Text with workmates is through Googletalk, and this needs to be available on my new phone. Primary use is voice, with email (through company exchange server) a close second. Some light web browsing.

The prices listed are MY out of pocket price.
Below are my choices:

Android Options
Motorola Atrix 2 – $99.00 + Tax
Samsung Galaxy SII - $99.00 + Tax
Samsung Galaxy SIII - $199.99 + Tax
Motorolla Atrix HD - $99.99 + tax
HTC One X - $199.99 + Tax
Samsung Rugby - Free

I don't want to pay $199.11 out of pocket unless the phone's features/capabilities warrant it. I am an Android newbie, but I'm confident my inexperience will not hinder me (much).
Buy an iPhone 4S, DO NOT OPEN, sell it on Craiglist/Ebay/SA-Mart, buy an unlocked Galaxy Nexus direct from Google for $350. (Do this in whatever order you're comfortable with.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

The iPhone is probably your best bet, although it has caveats of its own. The big thing about the iPhone is that it just works, no fuckery required. The only Android phone that's close to this is the Galaxy Nexus, and the Verizon Nexus doesn't fit you because no global roaming.

The major caveats to the iPhone right now is no LTE and there's a new iPhone right around the corner. If you need a new phone right this moment, the 4S will serve you very well for 2 years. It's guaranteed to be good for the life of your contract, and then some. The only Android devices that come close to this have "Nexus" in their name. If you really want LTE, need a phone now and are willing to buy an iPhone at full price you can resell a 4S for a new iPhone in the fall.
Um, based on his post, where do you get iPhone from? It meets literally none of his desires beyond battery life and "working."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kbar posted:

- Galaxy S III's camera
The good Sony one that some units get or the lovely Samsung one others get? Samsunged again. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guilty posted:

Thanks, tyro also. Will look into that. I think I will mostly be in the suburbs and urban areas. Will it work on my European phone ok? I know the US has different cell technology, I always forget who has what.
AT&T, T-Mobile, and small carriers that run on their bands should work at least for voice and some level of data without issue. StraightTalk, mentioned above, runs on AT&T (or certain versions do?).

Basically, this isn't an issue since you won't be able to get a Verizon or Sprint SIM anywhere but Verizon or Sprint, so just don't go there!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Touchscreens are meant to be touched, you can be weird about it and get a stylus or something, but seriously it's worth getting over as they're quite liberating otherwise. Just pick up a microfiber cloth to wipe with once a day and it won't be that bad.
Or just put it in your pocket when you're not using it. Or do only iPhones have an oleophobic coating?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

unl33t posted:

Well, after keeping an eye on this thread for about a month I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Nexus from Google. Well I be able to use the SIM card (T-Mobile) that I already have, or does this need a micro SIM card or something else? Also, how long does it usually take Google to ship?
It's a normal SIM. Just pop it in and you're good to go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Strom Thurmond posted:

I got a chance to look at these, and are you mixing them up? The phone you recommended for me is $99 bucks, and the one for her is $299.

I gotta say, looking around, I'm really not impressed - my phone (Droid 2) is more than 2 years old now and it has a 1 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and a 5mp camera - the Razr Maxx has a dual 1.2 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and...a 5mp camera. This is really all the further the phones have come in 2+ years? Are the screens and 4G really that much of an improvement that it warrants the upgrade? I'm just not all that excited about plopping down ~$400 and signing another 2 year contract for (what appear to me like) relatively minor upgrades.
You can't really compare MHz to MHz like that. Mobile CPUs of today are significantly faster than they were two years ago, even at similar clock speeds. That's also ignoring speed increases in the OS, which Android has been doing with the last couple revisions that your Droid 2 does not have. (The camera thing, however, is entirely reasonable, and the Galaxy Nexus's is basically the same one that was in the Nexus S, which was average when it came out almost two years ago.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, if you're considering an iPhone, wait a month for sure, since The new iPhone is expected to be released next month. As far as Android goes, it has improved significantly since 2.2. On Verizon, your best Android choices would be either a Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S III. For AT&T, you would probably be looking at a Samsung Galaxy S III or HTC One X. Another option is to buy a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google for $350 and either stick with your current T-Mobile plan or find a prepaid plan through them or StraightTalk (which runs on AT&T's network) and you can probably save some cash month to month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Current contract status: Sero premium 500, next upgrade date April 1st (220 days)

Alternatively, is it possible/how much does it cost to move up an upgrade date or buy out of contract or whatever?

You'll end up paying way more for whatever service you end up with unless you go with a prepaid carrier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you sure AT&T will change your plan if you upgrade? At worst, you might have to switch to tiered data, but that looks like it won't be a problem with your usage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I have an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile now. The HTC One V is on sale this week for $150. Should I buy it? If not, why not? Is it on sale because Jelly Bean phones could be coming out soon on Virgin Mobile?

Haha, there's no Jelly Bean phones coming out on any carrier any time soon unless you happen to have a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DEO3 posted:

I want to buy my wife a nexus s for her first smart phone, but I want to make sure its a model that'll update to jellybean. We purchased one for her already, but the hardware didn't match the software, the serial number was scratched out, and it wouldn't update. The whole thing just seemed shady so we sent it back.

Can anyone link me to which model nexus s I want to buy? I'll be using it on Straight Talk which offers SIM cards compatible with all the major carriers.

For Jelly Bean, it looks like You want the GT-I9020T, which will work on the T-Mobile bands of StraightTalk. (The GT-I9020A looks like it's lagging a bit on getting updated, though it might have gotten it by now. It runs on AT&T bands.) It's looking like unlocked ones are around $300 on ebay. I guess you can probably find a used one for less.

I would really suggest getting a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google since they're only $350, will get updates beyond Jelly Bean (this is a big question mark with the Nexus S, since reports are that it seems to be running at its limits with Jelly Bean), at $350 is a killer deal, and it'll work on both AT&T and T-Mobile, so you can get a StraightTalk SIM for whichever you prefer (AT&T probably being the better choice).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

modig posted:

I'm on Verizon and MUCH happier with the service than when I was on ATT. I and the rest of my plan will be eligible for phone upgrades in October, after the new iPhone comes out. Is there any way to avoid paying way more? This is what the verizon site shows me. Basically our rate pre-fees will go from $184 to $219 and include less data on the new plans.

You should post this in the Verizon thread for a better answer, but my understanding is that you don't have to change your plan with an upgrade, but you'll have to get rid of unlimited data if you have that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spaz Medicine posted:

Also, if I buy a Galaxy Nexus with a Verizon plan, would it be "unlocked" for other carriers, on the off-chance I want to switch? I'm guessing not, but I'm not familiar enough with phones to really be sure. If it is, is there a way to unlock it?
Nothing you get on Verizon can be used on another US carrier. A handful can be used overseas, but the Galaxy Nexus is not one of them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Robot_Z posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Verizon Wireless
Contract free as of 9/9/12.

Budget: I would like to spend $50/month and up to $100 on a new phone though I would not mind getting a phone for free that has the features I'm looking for.

Features I know I want include Internet browsing, GPS (not sure if this is usually done through apps or what), e-mail syncing with Gmail, PDF viewing and a decent camera. (Really I just need to be able to take better pictures of my cat) I ended up with a Kin Twom last time I "upgraded" and my life concerning cell phone use has been poo poo since then.

Note: I don't have a clue what plans usually end up costing monthly with Verizon and Voice/Data so if $50/month is ridiculously low just let me know I need a reality check. My brother and his fiance both have a Samsung Galaxy with T-Mobile and spend $50/month per person on a family plan.
You won't get a $50/month plan on Verizon if you plan on having data, and that's even assuming you can just add data to whatever plan you currently have, which I'm not entirely sure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spaz Medicine posted:

I feel like this is a dumb question, but would an SGS3 still have decent resell value even if it has a Verizon plan, since it can only be used with Verizon plans? Or am I misunderstanding something about how this stuff works?
Verizon resale values should start holding better now that people want to buy second-hand phones to maintain their unlimited plans. The SGS3 is a particularly popular phone, so that should help more.