Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My roughly 6 year old RAZR v2 is dying, and solely for this reason I need a new phone.

I am part of a $25 a month family plan with T-mobile and I don't want to lose that. I just want an unlocked non-smart phone that I can pop the sim card from my razr into and start calling/texting.

I haven't looked into cell phones for ages, and most of the talk about phones I get from people I know is about smart phones. I am looking for something pretty cheap (I am willing to go up to $100 but would prefer to go under $50), that will hopefully last a long time, be decent for texting, and work with my current SIM card and contract. I also always keep my phone in the front pocket of my jeans, so something fairly thin is preferred but not a must. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Country/Provider: USA/ AT&T

Current contract status: None, but moving to existing family plan

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: under $150 (with contract if I need to, I might not have a choice). Plan, as cheap as possible while still being useful. I know the family plan is $10 a month, and then the data options I am told are either $15 or $25 more on top of that, though I don't know at the moment how much data $25/month gets me over $15.

Features I know I want: Android OS. Some type of data, but not unlimited. Unlimited or high text count.

Thinking about the HTC Inspire 4G, but is there something betting in similar price range?

I don't use my phone my phone very much, but I am more or less being forced into getting a new one and as such have to figure this out pretty quickly without much background research. My family in Wisconsin need to get a new plan and it would force me to sign a new 2 year contract with T-Mobile that I don't want to do. I am currently in Philadelphia and my experience with T-mobile on the east coast has been terrible. I am instead going to join my girlfriend's family plan on AT&T, but don't know what phone I should get.

I speak very little on the phone, less than an hour total per week. I text more than anything. I figure I might as well use this opportunity to make the jump to my first smart phone. I don't want to spend more than $150 on the phone itself, and prefer to spend less than that. I also want enough data so I can putz around on the net when I need to for yelp, googlemaps, etc. and not worry about incurring extra data charges.

My girlfriend got an HTC Inspire 4G back in July and likes it, but seeing as that was 8 months ago I wasn't sure if there was something a bit better in a similar price range out now. We just left the AT&T store which wasn't very helpful in figuring out what phone to get, so I am turning to the forums for assistance. Thank you!

edit: Looking at this thread and some other info it looks like the Galaxy S or a hacked Nexus S would be good solely because of the latest Android OS. The Galaxy is a bit more than I wanted to spend. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not going for an android phone that supports this OS, or based on my needs does it not matter that much?

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 4, 2012

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for all of the info, ExcessBLarg!. The pricing info I received from my girlfriend and her mother as that is what they are currently paying. If their plans are not accurate or if I have to get something different when I sign on I don't know. I guess I will find out when I head back in to sign up and get a phone.

I just want to double check that model number for the phone. You listed Nexus S (model GT-I9020A), but then the link you posted on Best Buy is for the Nexus S (model GT-I9020T). Does the different model number not matter in this case for this phone?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Great, thanks again. The Nexus S looks like it my be a bit behind tech specs wise but considering my usage that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the clarification with the models, I will head to a Best Buy in the next couple days and see about picking one up when I join that family plan.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I never knew getting a new phone would be such a hassle. What genius at AT&T came up with the rule that if your current (not delinquent, but current) bill isn't paid you can't add new lines to your account? The Best Buys around me also don't have the Nexus S in stock, so between having to run back and forth between places and the (hopefully) mistyped model number on the Best Buy site this has become quite the ordeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: enrolled in a family plan

Budget (phone/plan): $1000 (phone only)

Features I know I want: at least equivalent to the Galaxy 9

So I was stupid and left my phone in an uber a couple of days ago while visiting a foreign country. Uber is a poo poo company and is 0 help in getting my phone back so I am chalking it up for a loss. Good news I guess is that the phone was all paid off on my current plan and the battery was starting to suck, so I probably needed to replace it relatively soon anyway. Phone was a Samsung Galaxy 9..

Question is 2 parts. First is that I haven't been looking into phones at all lately, but I know the Galaxy 20 is coming out in about 2 weeks. I am wondering if it will be worth waiting for that or if I should get the Galaxy 10 or perhaps the latest Pixel or something else. I don't really care that the Galaxy 20 is G5, but I do wonder if the other features are a big enough jump from the 10 (should that be my alternate) that I should wait and get the 20.

Second is if I do need to wait a couple weeks, is anyone aware of any service or plan or anything that I could use as a stop gap so I don't have to go without a phone at all for a couple of weeks? Are phone rentals a thing, for example?