Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Country/Provider: US/Verizon
Current Contract Status: Eligible upgrade plus $50 credit, family plan, unlimited data
Budget/Phone Plan: Whatever it takes

Features:

Android is key. I have an old HTC Incredible and it's served me well, but it's a little dinged up and now I'm looking for an upgrade.

4G is also important.

At the very least, I want something that is slated for OS upgrades. I've read that my Incredible will never see ICS.

When it boils down to it, I'm looking for the latest and greatest to last me a couple years before the Next Big Thing. I know the Galaxy Nexus is where it's at, but after talking to some people at the Verizon store that's not worth the price tag when compared with what's out there currently. I'm also unsure about the Galaxy Nexus because of the camera. The gold standard seems to be 8MP, yet they only have a 5MP camera on this. It's not vital, but it just seems like such a simple thing, what else is missing? Aside from an SD card slot, that is, but with 32gb on board I don't really care that much.

I'm also curious about what's in the pipe. I can wait a month or two if it means I'll get a much better phone for the same amount of money. But I try to avoid the "welllll if I just wait a little longer I can get something better" cycle that never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm just beginning to start to look for a new phone. I have an HTC One M8 that I got at around launch, so it's really starting to show its age. Slow and starting to get unresponsive, random crashes every once in a while, and the battery life is REALLY starting to tank. I'm going to do a factory reset soon to see if that will help, but who knows how much more time that'll give me.

I'm in the US on Verizon. I'm also tired of all the lovely Verizon apps that I can't delete (why does VZ Navigator still exist??), and I'd like to actually receive updates on a time scale NOT measured in centuries....so I'm looking for an unlocked phone. Not sure if that's still a hard thing to find or not.

Anyhow, if I'm looking for a brand new top-of-the-line phone, and I'm not desperate for it today, is Pixel 2 the answer? I've got time to wait, and I've heard that the Pixel 2 will be out in October. Not sure if my phone will last that long, but if it does I can hold out.

edit: OK so I'm sure that doesn't really narrow down options, but I'm just starting to look so I don't know what the major things are that sets phones apart these days. IF the pixel 2 is more than 6 months out, then I might need to start narrowing things down. And I guess the only reason I'm considering that phone is due to the success of the Pixel, so maybe I'm just blindly steering for that hoping I don't have to work to make decisions.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 30, 2017

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Can anyone recommend me a way to NOT buy a new phone?

Not sure where to ask this, but I just cracked the glass on my Pixel 2 XL. Was originally just a crack, but has since developed in to a hole with jagged edges that snag my pockets, so I'm going to start inadvertently tearing bits off (of the glass or my pants) in not too long here. Screen looks fine, so it's just a matter of replacing the glass.

Looks like a replacement kit can be had for around $40, but I have no idea how to navigate what sites/manufacturers are reliable or not.

Any recommendations?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

regulargonzalez posted:

Any city of decent size (say, 25,000+) will have a place that replaces phone screens. Whether they can do your phone I'm not sure, but Google for "(your city) phone repair" and call them to see.

Oh yeah there are plenty around, but I had just assumed that there was a "go to" option for aftermarket repair parts/kits. I have no problem attempting the work myself, I just want to make sure I don't buy a piece of garbage that either won't fit or won't work.