Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm looking for an android phone. I'd prefer to get something that is similar to stock android, so probably not a samsung. Is a Pixel 2 a good option?

I currently have a Droid Turbo 2 and I like the size but I'd go bigger if that is required to get a nice phone. I'm on Verizon and there isn't another option that has decent coverage around my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I would probably keep it awhile. Anything else to look at vs Pixel 3?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm in the US, with a single line on verizon currently.

I'd like to get a mobile data plan for a computer with an add-in cell modem. Who has the best service/deal if I want unlimited data? Does the answer change if I want to really use a lot of data and not get throttled? I'd consider switching away from Verizon completely if that helps, or having an account with a different provider just for the computer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nah, my home internet is fine, this is for a mobile PC. Right now I can use the phone as a hotspot and it's fine mostly. But I was thinking about finding a way to keep internet access when I take the phone with me. That lead to 'what could I do if I had truly unlimited data?'

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Most of these plans are something like "Unlimited, but slow after 20G, includes 5GB of high speed hotspot data" How are carriers enforcing a limitation for hotspot data? I'm guessing a rooted phone would be able to avoid that type of thing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Some of these prepaid B-tier services look tempting. Vsble is unlimited on VZ's network for $40/mo including taxes and I saw reports of 30Mbps which would be plenty. Looks like I've got plenty of research to do.

e: Do you have the T-Mobile prepaid unlimited (non-plus) plan? What modem are you using?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 12, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah that sounds like google voice if you will have access to a local phone or computer with mic wherever you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My dad is talking about getting a plan from consumer cellular. Are they total crap or acceptable for someone that won't use their phone for much?