Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Getting a pair of new phones soon:

• Country/Provider: US/Alabama/Verizon
  • Current contract status: Contract ends in May, just hitting "new every two" $50 credit which will renew it as well. Am Sharing a contract with the wife, and we use the in-Network stuff to talk, but both our families are also on Verizon and thus the majority of the calls are free if we stick with Verizon. We don't text more than 15 messages a month.
  • Budget (phone/plan): $100-150 (we need to get 2 phones. We have had Samsung u740's which are nice.)
  • Features I know I want: Gmail/Google Calendar connectivity (can be via computer network/connection rather than Wireless) for me. QWERTY keyboard for both.
  • Features I know I don't need: Music (though everything will come with this), navigation.

I'm tempted to get a Blackberry (non Storm because of price/reviews I've seen here) and get her a nice phone with a flip out QWERTY keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

Steinbeck posted:

You may want to check out the G1's. If T-Mobile has 3G coverage in your area, you could (possibly) be saving a shitload on your monthly plan vs what Verizon charges. Especially w/ their "Fave 5" free calling feature. The G1 is also a pretty kickass handset and not terribly pricey on-contract.

I've wanted a G1 since it was announced, so this is a nice bonus. Running Monthly numbers I've got:

300 minutes, Unlimited Web, 400 messages for $54.98 from T-Mobile (for me) plus 450 minutes for $39.99 for the Verizon (for the wife) = $94.97 a month pre-tax.

We're currently running at around $79.99 a month for 700 minutes.

I assume the taxes and whatnot would balance out, so that's a wash. The wife needs to stay on Verizon (in her mind) because both of our families are on Verizon. She used just under 700 in-calling minutes last month, though 300 with me, but we've been separated by a new job and calling each other for 30 minutes a night. So if I went T-Mobile, she'd be one of my Favs, so I think it'd work well.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: We're clear, have $50 on NE2. Sticking with Verizon due to Moble2Moble stuff.

Budget (phone/plan): currently paying $70 a month for 700 shared minutes + $10 for txting, would like to keep it under $100/month total. For the phones, preferably less than $100 total, the wife's will probably be free and mine would be the NE2 phone.

Features I know I want: 2 phones, preferably 1 connected to gmail/google calendar if possible. Wife prefers a QWERTY keyboard for texting, but has been living without so it's not a big loss.

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2009

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

enigma105 posted:

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: We're clear, have $50 on NE2. Sticking with Verizon due to Moble2Moble stuff.

Budget (phone/plan): currently paying $70 a month for 700 shared minutes + $10 for txting, would like to keep it under $100/month total. For the phones, preferably less than $100 total, the wife's will probably be free and mine would be the NE2 phone.

Features I know I want: 2 phones, preferably 1 connected to gmail/google calendar if possible. Wife prefers a QWERTY keyboard for texting, but has been living without so it's not a big loss.

As an update, turned out I got a 15% discount thanks to my employer, so we ended up buying a VX6900 for me, and a G'zOne Boulder for her. Since she gets to deal with our kid all day, the ruggedness & water resistance was a big selling point.