Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Budget (phone): N/A

Features I know I want: In order: Android, battery life, UI responsiveness, speed, storage must be at least 128gb, if I can help it size not much bigger than current phone (5.66 x 2.74 x 0.33 in)

I currently have a Pixel, but the battery is kinda shot and the performance is starting to be a little hitchy. I looked at what phones Verizon has to offer, went back a few pages in this thread, and tried to do some research elsewhere online. Seems like the Pixel 4 was kind of a bust and the go to Android phones these days are the OnePlus 8 line and the Samsung S20 line? Verizon currently has the Pixel 4, but not in the 128gb version so that is out. They have the OnePlus 8 but only the base model, not the Plus. For the Samsung, they have the S20, the S20+ and the S20 Ultra.

Considering my requirements, what is the opinion of the thread?

Edit: also I guess it would be nice if it had decent speakers since I frequently listen to podcasts with no headphones while cleaning or making food or whatever but that's definitely a nice to have and not a must have.

owl_pellet fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

owl_pellet posted:

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Budget (phone): N/A

Features I know I want: In order: Android, battery life, UI responsiveness, speed, storage must be at least 128gb, if I can help it size not much bigger than current phone (5.66 x 2.74 x 0.33 in)

I currently have a Pixel, but the battery is kinda shot and the performance is starting to be a little hitchy. I looked at what phones Verizon has to offer, went back a few pages in this thread, and tried to do some research elsewhere online. Seems like the Pixel 4 was kind of a bust and the go to Android phones these days are the OnePlus 8 line and the Samsung S20 line? Verizon currently has the Pixel 4, but not in the 128gb version so that is out. They have the OnePlus 8 but only the base model, not the Plus. For the Samsung, they have the S20, the S20+ and the S20 Ultra.

Considering my requirements, what is the opinion of the thread?

Edit: also I guess it would be nice if it had decent speakers since I frequently listen to podcasts with no headphones while cleaning or making food or whatever but that's definitely a nice to have and not a must have.

In the time since I've posted this there has been some discussion in this thread semi-related to my question. Sounds like Samsungs are as filled with bloatware as ever. If I also want to avoid that, what am I looking at? The OnePlus 8 base model? Waiting for the Pixel 4 to come back in stock at Verizon? Waiting for the Pixel 4a to come out to see how that is?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I was also waiting for the Pixel 4a news today since my original Pixel is getting long in the tooth. Not only is the 4a not shipping until late August, they also announced the 4a 5G and the 5 will release in October! Way too close to get a non-5G ready phone right now. Blah!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

sourdough posted:

5g is worthless, if that's the main thing holding you back

Can you expound on this?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anyone have thoughts on the Samsung S20 FE vs. the Google Pixel 5? Both cost the same, and except for the RAM in the Pixel 5 the S20 FE has it beat in every area. The usual Samsung bloatware really makes me hesitate though. I have a Pixel 1 now and I really like it but it is getting long in the tooth.