Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
My entirely adequate Nokia 2610 got washed, and while it still kind of works, it's draining the battery really fast and the speaker quality is shot. So I'm looking for new. The only thing I'm looking for above the features of the current phone is international use (specifically Europe).

* Country/Provider:

US, been with Cingular then ATT since 2001 without any real gripes.

* Current contract status:

Past 2 year agreement, I can leave ATT if I want. I think.

* Budget (phone/plan):

My current plan is ~45/mo, and I won't go much higher than that. But I also wouldn't have a problem with occasional charges for web use or somesuch. I hardly ever text anymore, so I have no plan for that and I'm not looking for one. I don't expect emailing from the phone.

For the phone, cheaper is better. That said, I have no real ceiling if someone convinces me that whatever phone is worth it. Still I won't drop $800 on that unlocked blackberry I saw at Bestbuy last week.

* Features I know I want:

- Battery life, battery life, battery life. Before washing, the measly Nokia 2610 would go a week without recharging with light use.
- Looking for international/Europe capability.
- MP3 player would be nice, but no big deal either way.
- Don't care for camera, but phones without seem harder and harder to find.
- Don't like flip phones, but not religious about it.

I looked at ATT's web site, and it's a total jungle out there. So any recommendation would help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

kalibar posted:

hey santa baby, you should definitely take a look at the Nokia N85, selling on Amazon for $280 shipped (after rebate) right now.

Thanks for this. I'll read up on the N85 and probably go with it. The amazon writeup looks promising. The iphone swaparound is probably more hassle than I'm willing to put up with though. All the same, I appreciate the suggestion.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Khorne posted:

I'm not in a rush. I've been procrastinating buying a new phone for a few years now. I'll check out moto again. I sort of liked what they offered before.

I'm in the same boat. The n6p finally holds its charge only for a few hours now and it's time to move on. I thought about the Moto G power, but then ATT just did some fuckery with (potential lack of) VoLTE support, so I preordered the 4a because I'd rather not stress out about this. We'll see how hard I'll regret this decision.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
holy poo poo my last post in this thread was about my trusty nokia dumbphone back in 2009, what a loving rush, thank you all so much for keeping this going

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

E2M2 posted:

Is there a reason to "upgrade" from a Pixel 4A 5g to maybe a Pixel 6a or another midrange?

Just curious because theres a deal now for $300 for a 6A, with $150 or $200 trade in for the 4A 5g

fwiw i just checked and saw the 6a for $450 with a trade in offer for my 4a (no 5g) for 295. so i did it because hey new phone for ~150 plus taxes and the battery of the 4a just started showing serious signs of decline.

we'll see if I regret all of this later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Lawson posted:

fwiw i just checked and saw the 6a for $450 with a trade in offer for my 4a (no 5g) for 295. so i did it because hey new phone for ~150 plus taxes and the battery of the 4a just started showing serious signs of decline.

we'll see if I regret all of this later.

Well if it sounds too good to be true...

Went from "deliver by 9/1-9/7" with no updates for weeks, and support saying nothing of substance to "oops your order couldn't be fulfilled, so sad" today. Now my 4a is suddenly not worth anything.

whoop dee loving do. battery repair here we go.