Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
After last years God awful remake of an 80s slasher movie, Prom Night, I hope 2009 can bring us some decent ones and wash that one from our memories.
First up is My Bloody Valentine 3-D(depending what cinema you see it in).
I loved the first poster we got for this one, it really looked great.

Unfortunatly it seems the MPAA had a big issue with this poster and banned it, then we got a revamp with the blood turned brown and it looked like poo poo got smeared everywhere.

I was never a fan of poster 2, it's to cheesy, the tag line sucks and it tries to hard to sell the 3D angle.

Nothing says date movie like a 3-D ride through hell, that just rubs me the wrong was totally.

The final poster is pretty decent, still selling the 3-D gimmick by at least the tag line is pretty cool.

I don't know how many here have seen the original, I have, many, many times, it's one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, yet I'm cool with the remake. Even if it sucks, we at least are finally getting an uncut SE DVD release of the original movie :)
The plot to the original goes
On Valentine's Day 20 years before, an explosion of methane gas took the lives of a group of coal miners working in the Hanniger Mine near the small Nova Socia town of Valentine Bluffs. The accident occurred because supervisors left their posts to attend the annual Valentine's Day dance. A year afterward, Harry Warden - the only survivor of the accident - retaliated by killing the two supervisors, and leaving a terrifying warning never to hold another Valentine's Day dance. Now, a group of young adults decides to hold another dance, despite warnings. When a blood-soaked heart arrives at the police station, accompanied by an ominous message, the dance is canceled. But a Valentine party is held in its place... at the coal mine, and it isn't long before the town's young people begin dying violently. It appears Harry Warden has returned to punish those who did not heed his warning...

The remake seems to be keeping the plot pretty simular.
Ten years ago, a tragedy changed the town of Harmony forever. Tom Hanniger, an inexperienced coal miner, caused an accident in the tunnels that trapped and killed five men and sent the only survivor, Harry Warden, into a permanent coma. But Harry Warden wanted revenge. Exactly one year later, on Valentine's Day, he woke up...and brutally murdered twenty-two people with a pickaxe before being killed.

Ten years later, Tom Hanniger returns to Harmony on Valentine's Day, still haunted by the deaths he caused. Struggling to make amends with his past, he grapples with unresolved feelings for his ex-girlfriend, Sarah, who is now married to his best friend, Axel, the town sheriff. But tonight, after years of peace, something from Harmony's dark past has returned. Wearing a miner's mask and armed with a pickaxe, an unstoppable killer is on the loose. And as his footsteps come ever closer, Tom, Sarah and Axel realize in terror that it just might be Harry Warden who's come back to claim them...?

The trailer itself looks pretty drat good, except I hate the way they advertise the fact that the movie is in 3-D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRbqpiqkKU

I am really looking forwards to this one, I hope the 3-D looks good but I also hope it doesn't just become about the gimmick. This is going to be the first 3-D movie I see in the cinemas so I'm pretty excited for that reason alone.
Also the movie has been Rated R for graphic brutal horror violence and grisly images throughout, some strong sexuality, graphic nudity and language, God drat it, I hope this means we'll be seeing tits and asses bouncing off the screen, as well as dismembered body parts.

Next up.

This movie doesn't really need any intro, everyone knows it. The remake doesn't seem to be a remake of the first movie, more parts 2,3 and 4 put together.
The trailer was recently released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Phn-Ux2XJ4&feature=channel_page

This is a great trailer, love the way it does the body count thing like the original movie, I must say, this looks better then My Bloody Valentine, but not by much, both look great. 2009 could be a great year for masked killers and a bad year for hory teenagers.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I don't know how many here have seen the original, I have, many, many times, it's one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, yet I'm cool with the remake. Even if it sucks, we at least are finally getting an uncut SE DVD release of the original movie :)

I didn't even know it was getting remade, but this part is great news. One of my favorite underrated '80s slasher flicks.

j0hnplayaplaya
Dec 25, 2004

I have the Power!!!
As a fan of the show Supernatural it will be funny to see Jensen Ackles in My bloody Valentine, and Jared Padalecki in Friday the 13th. It will be hard to not think of them as the Winchesters and fear for their survival. On another note, from the end of the trailer for Friday the 13th it looks as though they made Jason a little faster.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
I'm not familiar with 80s slashers at all, really, but something about this movie is getting me all giddy. Maybe it's because I really like the band named after it, or because the idea of an 80s slasher remade in 3D sounds so delightfully cheesy (but in a good way).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I can't believe I'd ever say this, but the new Friday the 13th looks good in a non-ironic way. I like what seems to be some sort of view from a camera, so Jason's mask pops out at the viewer due to its color, sort of like the scene in The Descent mixed with Halloween.

As I heard one previewer say, it actually seems to have "style" now.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

timeandtide posted:

As I heard one previewer say, it actually seems to have "style" now.

C'mon now, the series had style back in the day. 1 through 4 are loaded with gritty style and a fun sense of menace. After that, they turned it up a few notches, but still, nobody can say parts 6 and 7 don't have style. Lightning strikes Jason's grave and resurrects him. He's chained to the bottom of a lake, where he walks like an abomination. Epic!

That said, I think this one could be cool as well, I'll definitely be there.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 11, 2008

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Out of all the recent Remakes, Prom Night is the one where the original movie isn't all that great and there was room for inprovement, yet it looks like it could be the worst of the bunch.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Michael Bay's team that did this Friday the 13th remake is working on an A Nightmare on Elm Street remake next. Personally, I think that has a lot of potential, Freddy is such an iconic character.

It's funny how Hollywood is literally remaking every successful horror movie from the 80s. Remakes of Hellraiser, Child's Play, They Live, and The Thing have all been announced.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Slasherfan posted:

Out of all the recent Remakes, Prom Night is the one where the original movie isn't all that great and there was room for inprovement, yet it looks like it could be the worst of the bunch.
Oh Christ Prom Night. I recently watched Prom Night 1-4 and they're so awful. Prom Night 3 is at least trying to be funny in places but for the most part it completely fails.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The My Bloody Valentine remake will be about as good as The Fog remake, but like an idiot I'll pay for this one too. Friday the 13th looks like it will be quality, and a real throwback to the early flicks where it's tits, gore and drugs.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I will definitely end up seeing the Friday the 13th remake, because it turns out a girl from my high school is in it:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2295173376/nm1566474

Exciting! I assume since she isn't the star that she will be a victim.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm weary about the Friday the 13th remake... I was very pissed when I heard they were going to remake it. Then, I was even more pissed that Michael Bay was remaking it. Then, I saw the trailer and saw that Jason sprinted, and that made me even more pissed.

But now, its growing on me, and I'm intrigued as to what they are going to use for the back story as to how Jason died, his mother, and how he has a (80s) mask already, since the mask from the :sigh: old series :sigh: was a legit mask from the time.

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her
I don't know about the new Jason film. The trailer played out almost exactly like the Texas Chainsaw remake, which Bay also produced and was terrible.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crown Royal posted:

I don't know about the new Jason film. The trailer played out almost exactly like the Texas Chainsaw remake, which Bay also produced and was terrible.

But it wasn't terrible, though. It just wasn't as good as the original. And this is directed by the same guy.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was actually a decent horror/stalker film, and probably the best of that immediate era. Unfortunately, it missed what made the original great and will always compare unfavorably against it. It's twice as good as any of the sequels to the original movie.

The prequel-sequel, on the other hand, was not good at all.

The advantage of the Friday the 13th remake is that the original (or the second or third, since it seems to be combining all three) wasn't really good at all, so there's nothing to compare it to. The trailer makes it look like the best Friday the 13th movie as-is.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
I actually just heard of My Bloody Valentine the other day while watching Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (which is a real fun to watch little documentary). It looks good. I think I'll check out the original first.

I've also never, unbelievably, seen the original F13, but this remake looks good.

Also, that TCM remake is exactly like the Dawn of the Dead remake: Good enough on its own, if you avoid making comparisons to their respective predecessors.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I always love how the Friday the 13th movies take place at "Camp Crystal Lake", because my girlfriend lives in Crystal Lake, Illinois and it's weird to see "Welcome to Crystal Lake" on a movie poster, attempting to sound menacing.

It can't be evil there! They have the good Chili's!

Edit: Oh and that means that when they have that poster at the Crystal Lake movie theater, and it says "Welcome to Crystal Lake" it's just welcoming people to the town they're already in.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 11, 2008

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her

Darko posted:

But it wasn't terrible, though. It just wasn't as good as the original. And this is directed by the same guy.

Well, I'm not crazy about the original, so it wasn't a case of comparing the two and being left disappointed that the new one didn't match up. I just found nothing entertaining about the remake. It's pretty boring for a horror film.

And it's too bad because I really enjoyed some recent remakes like Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Why does everyone complain about the fact that Jason runs in the trailer, you all know he ran in part 2-4 right?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Anyone else notice in the friday the 13th trailer the shot of jason as he drops the wrapped up body on the ground and turns around hes wearing a burlap sack over his head?
That looked pretty cool.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

epoch. posted:

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film

THANK YOU!

Jesus christ, I remember seeing this on Starz a few months ago and really enjoying it, but I'd missed the first part. I couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Slasherfan posted:

Why does everyone complain about the fact that Jason runs in the trailer, you all know he ran in part 2-4 right?

Yeah, I don't know about anyone else but if I saw that a huge guy with a hockey mask and machete was running at me I'd poo poo my pants.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

j0hnplayaplaya posted:

As a fan of the show Supernatural it will be funny to see Jensen Ackles in My bloody Valentine, and Jared Padalecki in Friday the 13th. It will be hard to not think of them as the Winchesters and fear for their survival. On another note, from the end of the trailer for Friday the 13th it looks as though they made Jason a little faster.

I did a little happy dance when I saw Padalecki was in Friday the 13th. I had no idea, and he's my favorite Winchester boy after all. From the previews they're making it out for him to be one of the one's who makes it out, what with the whole "who took my sister, I'll find my sister, I found my sister" thing.

And yeah I'm totally sold on My Bloody Valentine 3-D because the concept is hilarious to me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hockles posted:

Then, I saw the trailer and saw that Jason sprinted, and that made me even more pissed.
As others have said, you know that he runs around in the original films too, right? It's also implied that he can move inhumanly fast because of the way somebody will see him in the distance and then he's standing two feet away from them (although I will admit I prefer when we're left wondering how the gently caress he moved so fast).

Awesome Andy posted:

Anyone else notice in the friday the 13th trailer the shot of jason as he drops the wrapped up body on the ground and turns around hes wearing a burlap sack over his head?
That looked pretty cool.
That's what he wore originally in Part Two and for a lot of Part Three too.

Oh and while I'm at it, I suspect that the one and only good thing about the MBV remake is that we're getting a proper special edition DVD of the original because of it.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
How can I find out what theaters are offering MBV in 3D? Are they using the red-blue lenses or (hopefully) something newer?

j0hnplayaplaya
Dec 25, 2004

I have the Power!!!

The Remote Viewer posted:

How can I find out what theaters are offering MBV in 3D? Are they using the red-blue lenses or (hopefully) something newer?

Chances are it will be the clear "RealD" glasses like they used for films like Beowulf and Bolt.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Pretty excited to see both of these as long as they stick with hard R ratings, it's bad enough we don't have the fully uncut original My Bloody Valentine or Friday the 13th.

Wonder if they'll follow these with remakes of more 80's Slashers like The Prowler and The Burning.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cool kids inc. posted:

I did a little happy dance when I saw Padalecki was in Friday the 13th. I had no idea, and he's my favorite Winchester boy after all. From the previews they're making it out for him to be one of the one's who makes it out, what with the whole "who took my sister, I'll find my sister, I found my sister" thing.

And yeah I'm totally sold on My Bloody Valentine 3-D because the concept is hilarious to me.

You know the other Winchester is in Bloody Valentine, right? :)

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

InfiniteZero posted:

That's what he wore originally in Part Two and for a lot of Part Three too.

Just to split hairs here, does he wear the bag in part 3? I remember we never see Jason's head in Part Three until he puts the hockey mask on. It's mostly first-person from his perspective until that point. I always interpreted that to mean he didn't have the burlap bag or anything on, which was why they didn't show him.

I don't have any problems with Jason running and being more like the old Jason, but I admit I'm more fond of the slow walking, tilted head Kane Hodder Jason, or the Ken Kerzinger Jason.

Jason's blond mullet in this one is certainly odd though, luckily it doesn't stand out too much. I anticipate Jason will catch on fire at some point in the movie, reverting him to his bald and bumpy look.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

It will probably be good, but did the world need another movie about college kids going to a cabin in the woods, having sex, doing drugs, and then being chased down by an unstoppable killer?

Why not try something new when the old stinks like low tide on 3 Mile Island? I want to be angry, but it IS a remake...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Remote Viewer posted:

Most theaters will list any 3D showings separately because they add on a surcharge. And yeah, it will be in something like Real3D where the entire movie will be in 3D and you just wear the clear glasses.

Although it looks pretty cheesy I'm probably going to go see it simply because its a horror movie in 3D.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was actually a decent horror/stalker film, and probably the best of that immediate era. Unfortunately, it missed what made the original great and will always compare unfavorably against it. It's twice as good as any of the sequels to the original movie.

The prequel-sequel, on the other hand, was not good at all.

The advantage of the Friday the 13th remake is that the original (or the second or third, since it seems to be combining all three) wasn't really good at all, so there's nothing to compare it to. The trailer makes it look like the best Friday the 13th movie as-is.

I disagree with you that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake wasn't terrible (It was. So, so terrible.), but I agree that since Friday the 13th wasn't exactly Shakespeare to begin with, I'm okay with those guys helming the remake.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the original Friday the 13th. I've seen every single one at least twice, most of them more, and parts 1, 2, and 4 are some of my favorite slasher movies ever.

I'm cool with the My Bloody Valentine remake, too, if only because the original, while very stylish, was also fairly generic, and the miner suit/gas mask/pickaxe combo was just a fantastic visual begging to be reused. If you're a slasher fan, and haven't seen the original, definitely check it out.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Pretty excited to see both of these as long as they stick with hard R ratings, it's bad enough we don't have the fully uncut original My Bloody Valentine or Friday the 13th.

Wonder if they'll follow these with remakes of more 80's Slashers like The Prowler and The Burning.

I'd prefer it if they remade no so good ones like Sweet 16 or Graduation Day.

j0hnplayaplaya
Dec 25, 2004

I have the Power!!!
I am afraid for "My bloody Valentine" that Jensen Ackles will only be in the opening and die as an homage to Hitchcock's Psycho, with the largest star dieing in the beginning. Even if that happens I will still see it because I am a sucker for 3D films. I did see "Bolt" and me and my two friends were the only people without children over twenty in the theater, which on another note did make for a great college experience. 3D films will always be a blast if you go in with the right mindset.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crown Royal posted:

Well, I'm not crazy about the original, so it wasn't a case of comparing the two and being left disappointed that the new one didn't match up. I just found nothing entertaining about the remake. It's pretty boring for a horror film.

And it's too bad because I really enjoyed some recent remakes like Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead.

Dawn of the Dead was legitimately a good movie with a few questionable scenes, though.

I don't see how you would like the Hills Have Eyes remake and not the TCM remake, though. They're essentially the same basic thing and are uneven in pretty much the same way. They even have the exact same strengths (strong cinematography). In fact, if anything, I preferred TCM because it had a genuinely entertaining villain (R. Lee) unlike THHE's boring mutants, while not having anything quite as annoying as magical vengeful dogs and mutant rape.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a movie that I know will be lovely. MBV3D is gonna be fun as poo poo. Hopefully. I'm pumped.

As a F13 fan it really boils my blood that people are complaining about the running thing like it's the end all be all of loving rules or something. I guess we should just stick to the teleporting? Seriously watch Jason Takes Manhattan, or Jason Lives, or any of the later Jason flicks and pay attention to the creative geography. He seriously just APPEARS places that there's no way he could get to.

Who cares if he SPRINTS or JOGS or RUNS in the new one? Let's not be a stickler for realism in a series of movies like this. Jeez!

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
That Friday the 13th trailer really takes unveiling the entire film in the trailer to a new level. I know it's a slasher movie but that was just ridiculous. And agreeing that it looks identical to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. I'm not for a minute saying I won't see it but it just seems really pointless.

Hellraiser and NOES remakes on the other hand do sound interesting.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?

djf posted:

That Friday the 13th trailer really takes unveiling the entire film in the trailer to a new level.

If this is in reference to the Kill Countdown, its pretty obvious that some of those aren't even kills. Case in point, the guy walks up to the freezer and some body falls on him from above. Most likely not a kill.

I'll agree that they do show a poo poo load though, including that shot near the end where jason explodes through the wall. That'd be wicked to have seen without knowing anything was coming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tuwhitt posted:

I'll agree that they do show a poo poo load though, including that shot near the end where jason explodes through the wall. That'd be wicked to have seen without knowing anything was coming.

To be fair, that's like a shot-for-shot copy of a scene from Friday the 13th Part II. I wouldn't be surprised if it was thrown in the trailer for the fanboys like myself.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
some of those remakes do sound interest, but the THING???? what the gently caress
it is timeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

some of those remakes do sound interest, but the THING???? what the gently caress
it is timeless

Isn't The Thing a remake?