Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

InfiniteZero posted:

You watch slasher films hoping to see realistic character motivation?

Haha. Nah. I was just more surprised than anything that that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Any advance reviews or thoughts about the new Friday the 13th or My Name is Bruce ?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Chunky Delight posted:

Any advance reviews or thoughts about the new Friday the 13th or My Name is Bruce ?

For what its worth, I know someone who has already seen most of it. He absolutely hated it and compared it to the Halloween/TCM remakes in terms of quality. However, those are two of the low number of horror movies I've enjoyed in the past 10 years, and probably the only slasher films besides Behind the Mask that I've enjoyed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So since I loved the TCM remake, I'll probably love Friday The 13th?

(I hated the remake of Halloween, though.)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween
1,7,2,3, remake.....8......5....(infinity)6

Ft13th
FvJ,4,2,6,8-1-3-5-7,9,X

NOES
3-4-2-1-7-FvJ (these are weird - they're tied into my nostalgia, so I like them equally, but for different reasons. For instance, 2 was the first I saw, and now I find it hilarious. I love how bright and cheery 4 comes off, but how dark and cheery 3 is equally. 1 I don't like so much now but give respect for what it is. FvJ was extremely fun at the movies),6,5

Child's Play

Hellraiser
1,2,4,The one with the guy that didn't know he was in hell till the end, 3, didn't see the rest

TCM
1, remake, 2, remake sequel, 3................(infinity)4

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'll play.

Friday the 13th: 4, F13 Remake, 6, FvJ, 2, 3, 9, 7, 5, 8, 1, & X

A Nightmare on Elm Street: 1, FvJ, New Nightmare, 3, Freddy's Dead, ... 4, 5, & 2

Hellraiser: 1... 3, 2, Inferno. Haven't seen the rest, didn't really like the sequels, love the first one though.

Child's Play: 1, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky, ... 2, & 3.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: 2, 1, 4, & 3. I like them all, haven't seen the remake or prequel though.

Chunky Delight posted:

I saw a screening of My Name Is Bruce, with Bruce and Grace Thorsen in attendence. Very fun flick, with classic Ted Raimi in a few hilarious bit parts, any Bruce fan'll love it.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 16, 2009

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
I'm sure i'll be the only person in the world who liked Hellraiser:Bloodlines. I'd have right after the original in terms of enjoyment. The scene with the twin security guards being stapled together gave me nightmares for ages.

I'd probably make H20 my second favourite Halloween as well after the original so go figure.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bloodlines was okay, it just suffered from feeling like a DTV movie, with DTV acting going along with it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

djf posted:

I'm sure i'll be the only person in the world who liked Hellraiser:Bloodlines. I'd have right after the original in terms of enjoyment. The scene with the twin security guards being stapled together gave me nightmares for ages.

I'd probably make H20 my second favourite Halloween as well after the original so go figure.

I liked Bloodlines. It's pretty hard to find horror movies I don't enjoy on some level although they're trying really hard this year to change that with The Unborn and MBV.

However, Final Destination is one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and I really enjoyed Butterfly Effect too so take that how you will.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Pillowpants posted:

I liked Bloodlines. It's pretty hard to find horror movies I don't enjoy on some level although they're trying really hard this year to change that with The Unborn and MBV.

However, Final Destination is one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and I really enjoyed Butterfly Effect too so take that how you will.

Try watching The Butterfly Effect 2 and get back to us about movies you don't enjoy on some level.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Pillowpants posted:

I actually liked the Butterfly Effect as well, although that scene where he wakes up in the hospital with no arms and no legs is pretty near impossible not to laugh at. All in all though, I thought most people were way too hard on that movie.

Final Destination I like, but personally I feel like the only one of the series to actually get it completely right so far was Final Destination 2 as it didn't take itself seriously.

Every time I see new responses building up in this thread I keep hoping that some advance reviews of F13 have come out. I'm still looking forward to it. The TCM remake was something caught me completely by surprise in how much I liked it, and I'm hoping the same sort of thing happens with F13 as well.

PsychoGoatee posted:

Child's Play: 1, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky, ... 2, & 3.
That reminds me. Isn't Child's Play being remade as well?

Then again, what's not being remade these days, eh? Oh well, at least the Near Dark remake was canceled, since that was my current "How dare they?! flick.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 31, 2009

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

For what its worth, I know someone who has already seen most of it. He absolutely hated it and compared it to the Halloween/TCM remakes in terms of quality. However, those are two of the low number of horror movies I've enjoyed in the past 10 years, and probably the only slasher films besides Behind the Mask that I've enjoyed.

FWIW, I liked both of those remakes, and I have as much slasher fan cred as anyone. (I had a Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie poster on my wall as a kid) Were they as good as the originals? Probably not, but they had a HELL of a lot to live up to, and they were pretty good on their own merits. I never would have imagined R. Lee Ermey would be so perfect for a TCM movie.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm not quite sure why Butterfly Effect is even mentioned in a thread about slashers. I haven't seen the second part...did they completely change the genre for that one?
I liked the first one a lot, and it proved to me that Ashton Kutcher is not completely untalented.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk. Why don't they just go remake Psycho while they're at it?

- I've never understood why the TCM remakes elicit so many negative responses. While nothing could live up to the original, both of remake and its sequel are beautiful, moody and vicious. I'm personally hoping Friday the 13th has the same look and feel as those, and from the trailers and production photos... it does.

- At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I help run a blog primarily about slasher films at evilontwolegs.com. Particularly relevant to this thread might be an article i co-wrote last year heavily borrowing (i.e., stealing) the Fashion SWAT format to look at the fashion of Camp Crystal Lake.

- The Butterfly Effect 2 was truly horrid. I can't believe part 3 made the 8 Films To Die For this year...

- I agree the Final Destination series is great. Part 2 is by far the best so far... if only it'd been in 3D (if nothing else, for the big log scene).

- Also... I was kidding about Psycho... I know they remade it. Probably one of the worst ideas I'd ever heard, but I was particularly enraged that Hitchcock's name didn't even make the opening credits despite them re-shooting the film line-for-line and shot-for-shot.

evilontwolegs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 31, 2009

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

evilontwolegs posted:

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk.

Personally, I consider Near Dark to be a pretty flawed though entertaining movie. I'd actually like to see a remake of it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

evilontwolegs posted:

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk. Why don't they just go remake Psycho while they're at it?

- I've never understood why the TCM remakes elicit so many negative responses. While nothing could live up to the original, both of remake and its sequel are beautiful, moody and vicious. I'm personally hoping Friday the 13th has the same look and feel as those, and from the trailers and production photos... it does.

- At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I help run a blog primarily about slasher films at evilontwolegs.com. Particularly relevant to this thread might be an article i co-wrote last year heavily borrowing (i.e., stealing) the Fashion SWAT format to look at the fashion of Camp Crystal Lake.

- The Butterfly Effect 2 was truly horrid. I can't believe part 3 made the 8 Films To Die For this year...

- I agree the Final Destination series is great. Part 2 is by far the best so far... if only it'd been in 3D (if nothing else, for the big log scene).

- Also... I was kidding about Psycho... I know they remade it. Probably one of the worst ideas I'd ever heard, but I was particularly enraged that Hitchcock's name didn't even make the opening credits despite them re-shooting the film line-for-line and shot-for-shot.

The biggest problem with the TCM sequel was that you knew nobody would survive, so it kind of made most of the movie pointless. Instead of "how, or will this character get out of this," it was "how do all of these characters end up getting killed?"

Yeah, I love that Final Destination 4 is a) directed by the team that did 2, and b) is in 3D. That's one of my most anticipated of the year.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

evilontwolegs posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155975/
They did, with Vince Vaughn no less.

But how could they find people better than Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen in this day and age for Near Dark.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Darko posted:

The biggest problem with the TCM sequel was that you knew nobody would survive, so it kind of made most of the movie pointless. Instead of "how, or will this character get out of this," it was "how do all of these characters end up getting killed?"

I thought that movie would end with her getting away and everyone thinking she's covering for the two boys draft dodging or something like that.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
TCM2 had the best ending ever: the Leatherface Dance.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I like the TCM2 where Dennis Hopper has a chainsaw battle with Leatherface. :3:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Well Devin at Chud got to see this and had this to say (No review yet).

Devin at Chud posted:

Very solid. Third or fourth best in the series. A respectful reboot that does what it needs to do and does it well. This is very, very back to basics, which I like, and it incorporates elements from the first four films very nicely. Winks and nods that fans will get (some of the ones I got surprised even the producers, I'm proud to say) but that don't get in the way of the film itself.

I have some nitpicks, and it's definitely very modern which might put some people off, but I feel like this is a FRIDAY not for 35 year old geeks but for 16 year old kids on a date, which should be the audience for all of these films anyway.

It seems they've rejigged the timeline of the films a little bit as well. But as someone else on the board posted "It has nudity and inventive kills, what more do you want?" Which seems a fair assessment in these PG-13 days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PsychoGoatee posted:

I like the TCM2 where Dennis Hopper has a chainsaw battle with Leatherface. :3:

I too like that one... I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and it's not truly horrid like TCM:TNG

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nothing is as bad as TCM: TNG

quote:

Which seems a fair assessment in these PG-13 days.

Horror has been as gory as it's ever been in the last 6 years or so, actually.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Darko posted:

Horror has been as gory as it's ever been in the last 6 years or so, actually.

Yeah, I don't really know where this PG-13 myth is coming from but I've seen it a lot of places and it baffles me. Outside of the Asian horror trend and a couple scattered movies here and there, most horror has been of the "buckets of blood" variety. It's not exactly Guinea Pig level stuff but as far as mainstream, wide-release horror goes you really can't ask for much more gore than what we've been getting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Am I the only one who really liked Jason X? The DVD commentary was especially funny with the writter and director talking about the plotholes and what not.

As far as ranking goes I would say, II, III, I,
now I honestly don't remember which movie is which between IV and IX, so I'm going to skip them, but I really think X was a lot better than some of those, like the one where Jason isn't Jason. Oh and I couldn't stand Freddy vs Jason's cast, really hurt my enjoyment of the film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Am I the only one who really liked Jason X? The DVD commentary was especially funny with the writter and director talking about the plotholes and what not.

As far as ranking goes I would say, II, III, I,
now I honestly don't remember which movie is which between IV and IX, so I'm going to skip them, but I really think X was a lot better than some of those, like the one where Jason isn't Jason. Oh and I couldn't stand Freddy vs Jason's cast, really hurt my enjoyment of the film.

X's cinematography is horrible, and the pacing is off and it's a little too goofy in my opinion. The cinematography looks like a video game cutscene at times, and the digital look is pretty bad in general.

6 is the one where jason is revived and Tommy puts him back in the lake, 7 is the one with the psychic girl whose dad pulls him into the lake, 8 is the one on a cruise ship and kind of in Manhattan, 9 is the one where he's body hopping.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I saw MBV and enjoyed it for what it was, but there is one plot hole that I can't seem to get over. When the female deputy is outside watching the Palmer house, how in the hell did the retired sheriff know that The Miner was inside the house? The deputy that's been sitting outside the house all night didn't know. Hell, the people inside the house didn't know. I'm thinking there was a scene explaining it that was cut during editing, but I might have missed something obvious.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Friday the 13th Part Six is also notable for the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all and is arguably the funnest entry in the series. I will probably always consider this to be my favourite, but I'm tainted by my memory of seeing it on opening night sitting up in the balcony of my old favourite theatre and generally having a fantastic time with it.

Jason Takes Manhattan is also often poo poo on, and not without some valid reason, but I have a soft spot for that one too. The crowd reaction to the guy who punches the poo poo out of Jason only to have his head knocked off with one hit was worth the price of admission.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InfiniteZero posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan is also often poo poo on, and not without some valid reason, but I have a soft spot for that one too. The crowd reaction to the guy who punches the poo poo out of Jason only to have his head knocked off with one hit was worth the price of admission.

Yeah, the first time I saw that one I was about 15, and had friends over to watch the last half of the series. When that scene started, one of us predicted that right off the bat, and we all had a good laugh about it being spot on.

EDIT: For the record, I have nothing against Jason Takes Manhattan

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
How can people hate Jason X? It has the virtual reality scene at Camp Crystal lake with the fake stereotypical college kids, which takes place during the loving climax of all places. It's awesome -- I've never laughed so hard during a horror movie as I did during that scene.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I loved Jason X, followed the movie daily online at fridaythe13thforum.com (now gone), saw it twice in theaters, bought the movie on DVD the first day it came out and the McFarlane action figure. I thought the kills where really creative, Über Jason is badass, the writer Todd Farmer gets killed in the film and looks like Stone Cold (he posted on the forums and seemed like a cool guy), and the ending was awesome.

I think I would list my favorites as 6,4,7,FvJ,JX,3,1,2,8,JGTH,5

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
So, tomorrow is the release date for the documentary His Name was Jason. I am absolutely going to have to pick that up. Sounds like it's pretty good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aggro posted:

How can people hate Jason X? It has the virtual reality scene at Camp Crystal lake with the fake stereotypical college kids, which takes place during the loving climax of all places. It's awesome -- I've never laughed so hard during a horror movie as I did during that scene.

That's the only part of the entire movie I liked. It felt like a Sci-Fi channel movie, I think I explained this already. The other ones may have been stupid, but most of them, especially the first 2 and 4, had a definitive feel to them, that was completely lost in Jason X. And it wasn't JUST the move to space, as even Manhattan and teleporto-Jason had it to a degree, it was the cheapo digital and cinematography.

And Uber Jason was dumb and pointless.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Darko posted:

Nothing is as bad as TCM: TNG

I like that one a lot, although I'm not a big fan of Jason X. Personal preference, but really as far as hilarious parody sequels go, Texas Chainsaw 4 is one of my favorites.

Matthew McConaughey is so amazingly funny in this movie, one of my favorite performances of his. Crossdressing Leatherface, the random government men in black who show up near the end... just pure greatness.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

PsychoGoatee posted:

Matthew McConaughey is so amazingly funny in this movie, one of my favorite performances of his. Crossdressing Leatherface, the random government men in black who show up near the end... just pure greatness.

The only thing about that movie that stood out to me in a good way was how brutal some of the violence was. There were scenes that looked like they probably put bruises on the actors.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

PsychoGoatee posted:

I like that one a lot, although I'm not a big fan of Jason X. Personal preference, but really as far as hilarious parody sequels go, Texas Chainsaw 4 is one of my favorites.

What? I think I'm going to have to rent this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Don't do it man.

That movie makes no sense at all. The government men show up because it's some secret conspiracy to scare people for some stupid reason, except they also kill people too which kind of defeats the purpose, and, uh, I don't feel like thinking about that dumb movie anymore.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Darko posted:

Don't do it man.

That movie makes no sense at all. The government men show up because it's some secret conspiracy to scare people for some stupid reason, except they also kill people too which kind of defeats the purpose, and, uh, I don't feel like thinking about that dumb movie anymore.

There is a point early on in the movie where they go one about how they are responsible for the assassination of JFK.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

timeandtide posted:

What? I think I'm going to have to rent this.

Good choice, my man. If it sounds awesome, it probably is awesome. :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

PsychoGoatee posted:

Good choice, my man. If it sounds awesome, it probably is awesome. :c00l:

I made a clip show of it awhile ago, it was more to show scenes of Matthew And Renee before they where famous, doesn't show anything from the goverment guys, does show some of the movies crazyness though.
Also it's VERY spoiler heavy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcuvVGi9c8