Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Since the October thread is coming up, it's time for the 2nd annual Horror Thread Staff Picks.

If you'd like to submit a staff pick to appear in the OP, please stick to the following guidelines:

-Please pick only one film to have as your recommendation

-If someone has picked your recommendation before you, pick a different film to recommend.

-The film must, at minimum, have a 60 minute run-time, so as to count for the actual challenge.

-(Optional) Provide a link or image of your favorite poster for the film. It can be the theatrical poster, a VHS cover, or a fan-made one. The only rule is keep it work safe. (No boobs or dongs.)

-(Optional) Provide a one or two sentence reason why that film is your staff pick

-Submissions that seem like a troll will be ignored.

While it's not completely necessary, if you submitted a staff pick last year, it'd probably be better to change it up this year. But if you really want to recommend From Beyond again, Basebf555, I'm not going to stop you.

Deadline is this Friday

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Franchescanado posted:

That would be barbed wire, not razor wire, which is slick and without pricks.

Like this thread was before your posting
Ahahahaha

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point of the scene is that she’s getting tangled up so close to the exit, but people got mixed up by the cuts from the glass and the character’s histrionic reaction, and so the infamous razor wire scene was born.

:jerkbag:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Windows 98 posted:

Here you go champ
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r7SvEkYp-1Xn5OOyJ5Qab_u0l_ij4R2T/view?usp=sharing

I would embed it but I don't think Lowtax has enabled google video embedding. I'll delete this later tonight so grab it now.

Thanks dude, fuckin' MVP poo poo right here.

Franchescanado posted:

:perfect:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Since the October thread is coming up, it's time for the 2nd annual Horror Thread Staff Picks.

If you'd like to submit a staff pick to appear in the OP, please stick to the following guidelines:

-If someone has picked your recommendation before you, pick a different film to recommend.

-The film must, at minimum, have a 60 minute run-time, so as to count for the actual challenge.

-(Optional) Provide a link or image of your favorite poster for the film. It can be the theatrical poster, a VHS cover, or a fan-made one. The only rule is keep it work safe. (No boobs or dongs.)

-(Optional) Provide a one or two sentence reason why that film is your staff pick

While it's not completely necessary, if you submitted a staff pick last year, it'd probably be better to change it up this year. But if you really want to recommend From Beyond again, Basebf555, I'm not going to stop you.

Deadline is this Friday

I pick Dr. Butcher, MD (Medical Deviate) (also known as Zombie Holocaust, Island of the Last Zombies, Queen of the Cannibals, and Il Rei dei Morti-Viventi)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Deadline is this Friday

Sweet. Here's my pick:

Terrifier

There is something special about this movie. Not in terms of its premise or plot, but in terms of its attitude, execution and style. It's a horror film that thoroughly understands its target audience of macabre-loving, gore-craving sickos and delivers to them in spades.

e: oh and it's on Netflix.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 10, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Deadline is this Friday

Blood Freak 1972

Did I pick this last year? Who knows! I sure don't!

Watch it anyways, it's a piece of history. I promise, it's the only Christian Anti Drug Killer Turkey Vampire movie you'll ever find.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Tales Of Halloween

This one is a whole lot of fun and perfect to throw on during a party or get together and just let run. Plus it's an anthology and this own.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Based loosely on the life of Henry Lee Lucas. An expertly crafted film that will make you want to shower off the terrible feelings afterward. But they won't wash off, and you'll carry around that bleak awful feeling. Excellent movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

My staff pick for this year is Devil Fetus. (Chinese Mo Tai) . Recently I've been getting into Shaw Brothers and Chinese Gore films from the 80s and well this is one of the best ones I've seen. Its basically insane, but in a incredibly awesome way.

Why should you watch this film?

This should answer all questions :

Devil Fetus - Wizard Fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0qPwrxLULQ

Here's the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9zaScXmmw

Movies on youtube don't know about other streaming sites though

If you are still not convinced...

I guess pick GIF fran!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 11, 2018

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Hollismason posted:

My staff pick for this year is Devil Fetus

Haha I saw you watching that the other night. How was it? I really need to get in on the group streams when I’m doing gently caress all (watching Star Trek)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The Bride of Frankenstein

What can be said about this that hasn't already? It's just an absolutely perfect film from its time. Better in every way from the first film, from the writing, to the acting, to the tension, to the humor, to all the subtle bits, to the tragic, painful end. Every time I watch it, I promise myself I won't cry at the ending. And I know every time that will be a promise I break.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Deadline is this Friday

This is a silly 80’s creature feature sequel that (much like The Godfather Part II) is as good as its predecessor and I believe it also won Best Picture. The climax takes place in a hamburger factory. Best watched when you’re 11 years old or 3 beers in. Or both.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Windows 98 posted:

Haha I saw you watching that the other night. How was it? I really need to get in on the group streams when I’m doing gently caress all (watching Star Trek)

loving amazing. Everyone loved it. Probably one of the better Hong Kong Gore flicks I've watched and shown.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

loving amazing. Everyone loved it. Probably one of the better Hong Kong Gore flicks I've watched and shown.

Yeah I had a blast watching it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

That poster is awesome.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

My recommendation this year will be:

BRAIN DAMAGE (1988)

It's a gooey electro-coloured Henenlotter celebration of weirdness!

"[...] when it comes to blood in my underwear, I want to know how it got there."

(edit -- changed to the classic poster because the fan made one had errors that I couldn't handle)

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 10, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That’s literally what happened.

People are getting strangely hostile about the fact that there is no razor wire in Suspiria.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

This is a silly 80’s creature feature sequel that (much like The Godfather Part II) is as good as its predecessor and I believe it also won Best Picture. The climax takes place in a hamburger factory. Best watched when you’re 11 years old or 3 beers in. Or both.

M'man.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I always thought it was thin piano wire.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Kind of a weird comment when he's been posting in this thread for 6 more years than u have

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah same. Dario seems to like piano wire gags.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Man, y'all still arguing about the shoddy wire scene in Suspiria, I brought that up like six days ago.

Anyway...

Here's my October pick

Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore)

I'm choosing it because it's cynical and funny and beautiful and absurd and it fuckin rules.

Also this new poster art is way better
:nws::nws:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spatulater bro! posted:

Ya same. Either way it pretty clearly inspired the razor wire scene from Saw.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Runs in with a cane and top hat and starts dancing

It's called Suspiria!
It's getting really very eerie-ah!
There'll be singing!
And Dancing!
And even Romancing!
All righ suh-HERE-I-AAAAHHHHHH!!!

Doffs hat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I posted an unfunny and problematic photo here. I should have posted this photo instead:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 11, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

I hate remakes, but if Jordan Peele made a Candyman SEQUEL with Tony Todd playing the part that would get me hyped beyond belief

I kinda assume if it's got Tony Todd (which it absolutely should) it'd be a soft reboot sequel thingy. Which I would be ok with.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Kind of a weird comment when he's been posting in this thread for 6 more years than u have

And he's been unwelcome for 7.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

You guys, Halloween 3 kicks major rear end. Watched it for the first time in years and this ending *chef kissing fingers*

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheKingslayer posted:

You guys, Halloween 3 kicks major rear end. Watched it for the first time in years and this ending *chef kissing fingers*
It's an all-time classic. Ever since I saw it for the first time a few years ago, I have to watch it every October now. It's one of those annual traditions like watching Home Alone and Die Hard at Christmas time.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I wrote up a whole thing to pick Cemetery Man and someone beat me to it :argh:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Windows 98 posted:

I wrote up a whole thing to pick Cemetery Man and someone beat me to it :argh:

I forgot who made it a Staff Pick last year, but I watched it for the first time for that challenge and loved it. I'll be rewatching it this year, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

Welcome aboard.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Halloween 3 would be publicly considered one of the best horror films of its decade if it had just been called Season Of The Witch.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fart City posted:

Halloween 3 would be publicly considered one of the best horror films of its decade if it had just been called Season Of The Witch.
I'd blame idiots for getting ridiculously mad at Carpenter for trying to turn it into an anthology series.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd blame idiots for getting ridiculously mad at Carpenter for trying to turn it into an anthology series.

But then we got all those wonderful sequels with Michael!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingslayer posted:

But then we got all those wonderful sequels with Michael!

No joke, last year I watched Halloween 4, and forgot that most of what I remembered from it was from Halloween 5

I'm pretty sure I made a post about it last year. Halloween 4 is just such a boring, nothing incomplete thing

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how the opening credit sequences for both H4 and H5 are legit as hell, and then the movie starts and ugggghhh.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Fart City posted:

I don't know. Something about the movie being invasive and unwelcome elevates it for me. It always gave me a feeling like watching the movie is wrong - I shouldn't be watching it. The wrongness of the movie has seeped into the real world, maybe?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

I like how the opening credit sequences for both H4 and H5 are legit as hell, and then the movie starts and ugggghhh.

Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There's a bootleg element to it that feels right for such a grimy film.

I think it would have mostly been forgotten if it wasn't part of the series. It's found success in reevaluation because it had such a bad reputation. It might have ended up with a cult following, but little more.