Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

evilontwolegs posted:

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk. Why don't they just go remake Psycho while they're at it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155975/
They did, with Vince Vaughn no less.

But how could they find people better than Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen in this day and age for Near Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

StickySweater posted:

Buying this was one of the best values I think I ever got: a 4-pack including The Thing, Prince of Darkness, They Live, Village of the Damned. VotD is obviously the weak entry, but still strong enough to watch once or twice.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carpenter-Collection-Darkness-Village/dp/B0024FADBA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1366396931&sr=8-11&keywords=the+thing

Prince of Darkness is one of those films I really want to like but I can't. It could be a really creepy and tense film but the signature Carpenter synth score just holds the film back rather than accentuate it.

This is a short bit I wrote for some friends:

Prince of Darkness would be a far better, and eerier, film if it had no score at all. Usually Carpenter can get a pretty effective little ditty going on his synth (Escape from New York, Halloween) but in this it just sucks the tension out of every scene. Carpenter attempts to have the film take its self more seriously than most of his previous films and it could have worked had it not so easily eroded every ounce of anxiety with each note. The music is atmospheric and all but the fact it's played throughout the whole film just doesn't allow it to actually be effective.

Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong have some effective and unsettling discussions on metaphysics. A bit hokey, but the atmosphere was built enough to make it more digestible. The realization that something was amiss would have been given more time to grow in the audience had the score not constantly pounded "is it spooky yet?". The simple plodding about of the other students/scientists and juxtaposition to the gathering homeless would have more effectively built the tension had there not been the drat synth rhythm playing the entire time. It's a film with potential that just never lets you really get absorbed by it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093777/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkfKUrwxPfQ

If I had the equipment and knowledge to spit and remove audio tracks from the film I would attempt to just to see what the film would be like. I'm sure the first act would be much more subdued, if not dull, but I think that is kind of necessary for how the movie builds it's tension. It is supposed to be a slow boil, but it comes off as just tepid.

As for the best movie bundle deal, the best one I've come across is this pile. It has two of the movies that both got me into bad horror and reading SA. Slaughter High is one of the strangest slasher films ever, though it does have one of my favorite kill sequences ever. I just love how they actually use the character trope of "the strong man" as part of the set up and execution of the lawnmower death. The other is Chopping Mall, if it isn't high god overlord of 80's schlock it certainly is in the highest pantheon of them, with it's absurd theme and absolutely ridiculous villain.

It has other gems on it and I found it for 5$ at Best Buy.

scary ghost dog posted:

I dunno, but the best croc/gator film is Lake Placid.

This is unequivocally false. The best croc/gator film is 1980's Alligator. It's a unabashed knock off of Jaws to the point of parody. Robert Forster plays a great lighthearted but gruff Chicago cop. The film is really stupid, but fun, with pretty good acting. I guess sort of like Lake Placid, but there will always be a place in my heart for Alligator.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Obstacle posted:

Ravenous is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's darkly comic, straight-up dark, and a great take on post-Civil War production design.

It takes place before the Civil War :ssh:. It's after the Mexican–American War. Though it is a great film.

It's my favorite example of a soundtrack elevating a good movie into a great one. Michael Nyman & Damon Albarn together make really eerie but oddly pleasant pieces, and I really love how the character themes match the way the characters are written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDl4OhRN3bQ

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Warlock is kinda loving dope.

Also, more love for Warlock. Julian Sands is great and I wish he had done more. (I know he's done a lot, he should have done more)

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Someone on the last page mentioned Waxwork. Worth a watch?

It's absolutely worth a watch, but it's more of a special effects showcase than anything else. It is a anthology movie where there stories aren't that interesting, but It looks nice.

And it has David Warner, who is awesome. And speaking of anthology films with David Warner, look up Necronomicon. It has some issues but has some neat effects and who doesn't like more H.P. Lovecraft stuff.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

More importantly, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS opened 29 years ago this week:

Thrill me.

This calls for an important debate.

Best horror movie slug creatures?

Night of the Creeps?

Shivers (aka They Came From Within)?

(poor Barbra)

Slither?

CRONENQUOTE!

... or do you prefer go large and vote for Tremors?

This decision is a difficult one, please help me thread.

Oddly enough all of those films are great but you forgot the most important monster slug movie of them all, Slugs: The Movie .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPP6CMBVLDw

It's my favorite kind of creature feature, tons of imaginative and gruesome gore but so ridiculous it's more entertaining than revolting. It also has the honor of being directed by Juan Piquer Simón who is best know for either Pieces or Extra Terrestrial Visitors (Better known under the alternate title Pod People)

Really everyone should see it, it's a ton of fun.

Though out of the four you posted the answer is obviously Tremors, and if you disagree, well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMYPF-gnQU.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Parachute posted:

Agreed. It's just super bright, colorful, and ridiculous. Also, everything with The Plague is fantastic (specifically at the 4:30 onward).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2RO_zKuuc

I ended up really disliking Hobo With a Shotgun, but you are right, The Plague were wonderful.

I found the movie to be just too drat mean spirited. I can enjoy some wanton violence done creatively or in service of the film, but almost everything lacked any kind of heart. Things like crushing the homeless guys head with the bumper cars, or burning all of the children in the bus; nothing about them was very engaging, just off putting. I felt like The Plague worked a hell of a lot better because they seemed to fit the tone I had hoped the movie was going to be. Very cartoonish and detached from reality. Obviously a lot of the movie was over the top, but there was just very little enjoyment to be had and I really don't think the filmmakers were trying to go for a message of "you enjoy this? you're sick!", it felt like they wanted to go for "check this poo poo out".

Going around stringing random hospital employees is pretty hosed up, but since they didn't do it with the glee the other bad guys had when doing their acts it just wasn't as stomach turning. The film also did a good job of presenting The Plague as having a well developed mythos that it just wasn't going to show you.

Maybe the duo couldn't hold a whole movie together but I found them a hell of a lot more interesting than the sons. There is maybe 15ish minutes of Hobo that is pretty great and the rest was trash I didn't enjoy at all. It felt a lot like eating a bad granny smith apple. I went in hoping for a hosed up sour experience, but instead all I got was bitter disappointment.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Rutger Hauer does a really good job of making the hobo sympathetic through his body language, especially in those early scenes. He's obviously a disturbed individual, but all he expects from the world is some basic humanity, and Scum Town can't even manage that.

By the way, though it might never happen, the two plans for a sequel are 1) Hobo in Hell, where the Hobo has to fight his way out of hell after the events of the first film, or 2) A Plague movie, either about Rip finding a replacement for Grinder, or about their history.

True, I didn't do enough to point out Rutger Hauer. I've never done to much looking into his past so I assume there's something to explain it, but he always seemed a a fantastic actor that just kind got poo poo on and forced to do bad roles (Ever see Split Second? [man I wanted to like that movie too, but drat is it dull]). He is definitely a big part of the good 15 minutes of Hobo, but it just wasn't enough for me.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just want creature features that are actually creature features.

Exactly.

Not too long ago I VODed The Void on amazon since I had been looking forward to a practical effect heavy, Lovecraftian creature feature. Sadly it falls a little flat. The first act boiled the tension fairly well with the people being trapped in the hospital, but it didn't take long for the movie to accelerate so quickly that its no longer interesting, fun, or scary. I feel this would have actually worked better as a TV series, giving it more time to simmer inside the hospital and allowing more character development. Can't always get what you want I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I feel like there was another movie after Prince of Darkness tht we just didn't get from Carpenter. Prince of Darkness is easily top 3 Carpenter films. I dunno it just felt different creatively , Which isn't a complaint but like the difference between Prince of Darkness and most of his other films is rather striking.

I feel like of all his films that deserves better recognition even though it was poorly reviewed.

I always felt that Prince of Darkness was his bleakest film, and I mean that in a good way. It did a great job of instilling dread and making it grow and grow. I remember bringing up Prince of Darkness years ago in a old horror thread and someone disagreeing with me, them stating it was more of a comedy movie because of some of the gags and the fact it has Alice Cooper in it using one of his show props, but man I still have to disagree. A scene like this just isn't that funny in context , or at all. It sill creeps the poo poo out of me. Though I will admit that most of what Dennis Dun's character does is pretty funny. I just took the comedy as a pressure release valve to ease the audience occasionally, so when it went back to dread it had a stronger impact.

My guess for why it isn't better loved is that compared to how slowly it burns, it kinda ends in a flash and a bit unsatisfactorily.