Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Am I the only one who really liked Jason X? The DVD commentary was especially funny with the writter and director talking about the plotholes and what not.

As far as ranking goes I would say, II, III, I,
now I honestly don't remember which movie is which between IV and IX, so I'm going to skip them, but I really think X was a lot better than some of those, like the one where Jason isn't Jason. Oh and I couldn't stand Freddy vs Jason's cast, really hurt my enjoyment of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Pretty good Friday flick, nice boobs, nice kills and some humour, was very please. One thing I noticed is that they didn't focused on his face long, his face looked caved in for some reason, and didn't they had some photos online with kid Jason? You never see him.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Sounds good to me. I just recently saw Rob Zombie's first Halloween (my review here), and while it wasn't perfect, it was still better than all the crappy Halloween sequels. So I'll definitely be watching this one since... well, since I even watched all the crappy Halloween sequels.
for my money Halloween III was the better sequel and a pretty cool movie overall

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The movie is out already? Shouldn't it come out on Halloween?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Really? I dunno, man. Even if that movie didn't have "Halloween" in the title, I'd still think it was pretty terrible. Between the idea that one Halloween mask company could take over the world offering exactly three generic types of mask and playing the same atrocious commercial (which plays in the movie like fifteen goddamn times) is a bit much for me.

Halloween II was a moderately enjoyable low-rent slasher movie, and Halloween 4 had a pretty cool ending, but other than that I found the sequels pretty worthless.
I liked it because it was in the style of Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy and the Quatermass's serials, plus the tune is pretty catchy

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

An alternative perspective:

I don't really like "fun" slasher films. I like grueling, gritty, nihilistic slasher films. The tone doesn't matter to me as much in any other subgenre of horror, but the slasher film is as close to reality as any horror genre gets and I don't think they should be "entertaining." Hence, I like to be scared or disturbed by slasher films because it's an adrenaline rush and, when the house lights go on, I can be thankful that I'm not a victim.
Slasher flicks have lost that effect on me, so I've gladly taken the new wave of fun slashers, although I managed to find Feast boring for some reason

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think the formula has gotten tiresome, that's why I've come to find horror experiences in other genres, but at least they were able to approach it in a new way although t&a only goes so far...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Trick R' Treat is being show tomorrow at a theatre here, is it worth all the commotion I hear about it?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Trick R Treat was awesome, it's basically a fun slasher that plays with the genre conventions pretty nicely, was expecting a scarier experience but end up having fun either way.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

Well, I just saw Deadgirl and...it's a pretty interesting movie. Probably the best social-satire horror film about adolescent desires since Teeth. However, Deadgirl is much, much darker and much, much more perverse. Of all the crappy horror films I watch, it's rare to see one with a point, and rarer still to see one that intentionally pushes buttons to make that point. I mean, if you think about it, Deadgirl is nothing but a horrific distortion of the male fantasy taken to its logical extreme.

I wish more filmmakers chose to use horror in the way it was originally used for these days.

EDIT: To anyone who saw the festival version, was there some kind of hint that the dead girl was imaginary? Reading reviews from that era, it seems as if that's what critics took from it, that it may have been about repressed homosexual desires as much as objectification of women.

I quite liked it as well but I thought that literally going zombie infection at the end weakened it a bit

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

But it works so beautifully as a metaphor for hormonal urges or something like that, and it sets up that final shot.

I would have liked it better if the deadgirl "making" process was more of the actual rape and dehumanisation, instead of some virus that then allowed them to morally accept what they would do. Basically I wanted to see them take that next step on moral degradation without thinking "well she can't die, she aint human then!"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ghidzilla posted:

Watch the t-rex movie be about a zombie tyrannosaurus that follows a pteranodon spirit around the land and makes friends with a zombie redneck stegosaurus, knowing Zombie's attempts at black humor.

Actually, come to think of it that might be pretty awesome...

actually T-Rex is the character's name, 51% motherfucker, 49% sunnavabitch

not joking

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

Is anyone actually excited about Legion? It looks terrible, and the old lady's ceiling spider-dance is ridiculous.
The Exorcist III?
That's a pretty cool movie, my favourite after the original in fact.
edit:oh wait, I thought I was on the horror month thread

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 28, 2009

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm actually more curious to see Haley as Freddy than the movie itself. But it's weird they're going for PG-13, Friday the 13Th was made by the same fellers right?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
did the mask always look that ridiculous? it looks like the ghost from Filmation's ghostbusters

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

lizardman posted:

I actually thought Screams 2 & 3 were pretty solid all things considering.

all I can remember of Scream 3 was that stupid gas leak death, seriously how could have the guy not smelled the gas?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I really don't get why the movie got such a cold reception, endings aside, the movie looks really good, and the violence is vicious which is a rare thing on a slasher these days.
It's a mainstream horror movie that actually works as horror, I think due to going back to the genre's roots.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 22, 2009

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
they ruined one of the best scenes of the original with that cheap cgi shot, other than that I liked the trailer

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
unless Jean-Pierre Jeunet was Goscinny to Caro's Uderzo, I doubt the imdb rating

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Astérix, besides TinTin the biggest Franco-Belgian comic around. Basically Goscinny wrote and Uderzo did the drawings, and it was good; then the writter died, way long ago, think before I was even born, so Uderzo took both roles and it wasn't so good.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Appears it may have shuffled off to archives. Really? The reasons why five additional civilian people sneak into a medically quarantined building with a gigantic condom on it killed me. And the priest kept going on about needing to get a blood sample to cure exorcism but was continually angered at people shooting people. Can you not get blood from a corpse? And people continue to make awful moves long after they've been exposed to just how bad a situation they're in. Where the original felt like the model of horror movie character consistency and organic response to a horror situation, this one felt like lots of people who know better standing on their marks for a set of contrived moments.
I too see REC2 as an improvement, and honestly don't see how you can hate one and not the other as well.
The blood needed was from the first infected

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

That point was quite clearly made over and over again. And yet at the end when they have patient zero and the girl shotguns the head off, the priest yells at her that they needed her blood. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of blood to make an exorcism vaccine :rolleyes: in the body...and the ceiling.

Well for one, even if he had thought of it he was already getting beaten up afterwards. You could always chalk it up as him breaking down due to the stress.
Then there's the whole dimension thing since the girl's body didn't seem to be in the same world as when the lights were on.

And blaming characters for not being rational, especially in a horror movie, is always a double edge sword. What I liked most about that particular subject is that Angela was the by far the most pragmatic character of all, and then comes the twist.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 14, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Kinda awesome viral marketing for The Last Exorcism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSaurw6E_Q&feature=player_embedded

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Saw Body Melt yesterday, I have no idea what that movie was about; the first impression I got was that this was going to be a dark comedy on 80's values, because for some reason I thought it was released on 03.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Last Exorcism was awesome, and creepy as hell; I wonder how it got a PG-13 rating.
I gotta say one of my favourite parts was the minister going all The Exorcist.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They still showed a young girl delivering a demon baby and throwing that baby onto a fire, and there was also the body horror. It's not very explicit but I'm sure theres been movies slapped with an R rating for less.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Piling on the Last Exorcism talk I finally saw it today and really enjoyed it. It's a very odd film that keeps switching between different styles but it worked over all due to the great performances with Cotton and Nell.

I can see why people would hate the ending but the shot of Cotton walking up to take down the gigantic fiery demon with his fake crucifix in hand made it work for me. The only thing that irked me about it was the fact that it showed the faces of all the cult members rather than just alluding to them, I know the film gave up any pretence of being a found footage film due to it having tense music during the demonic scenes, but there'd be just no way that Caleb wouldn't have destroyed the camera the second after he'd killed Daniel.
Well, it's not said who finds it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dickeye posted:

What tension?

It's apparent right from the start that that's what the movies going to be about. I mean, you get the "well i don't believe anymore" conversation, you get him dismissing people's poo poo, and then you get the CRAZY DEMON poo poo. As soon as she shows up in the hotel room any kind of tension is gone.

TLDR I'm sorry I spoiled an obvious twist in a bad movie

It's not obvious, at all. The idea of her father abusing her the logical conclusion, until the twist that is.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Speaking of Noroi, who has seen Okaruto? It's from the same director, and from what I could gather it's basically a new Noroi.
The film is on youtube but under a different name, not sure I can link it here though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lake Mungo.

Seen that yesterday. Loved it. Any other suggestions? Maybe something from the same After Dark Fest?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I have one black friend, I filter everything racial through him just so to know what I should say.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
No is "surprised" in the film because it's a documentary, and they're talking after the fact, probably years after all the events.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I remember finding the Friday retrospective very disapointing, cant recall exactly why though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I guess I've got to get on seeing The Woman, eh?

Yes you do.
Too bad McKee only does a movie every so often.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The Last Exorcism ending owns btw.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

...Very Bad Things...
Is this the one with the hilariously dark ending for Cameron Diaz's character? What scared you in the movie?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

EC posted:

Ebert linked a top 25 horror movie post a few days ago and there were some movies I'd never seen in it. Specifically Visitor Q, Suicide Club, and Wolf Creek. Any opinions?

Thats a really great list; the inclusion of Halloween 2 and, in particular, Pulse at number 1 are very impressive choices.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Agreed, though I wonder about some of the narrative decisions in the last few minutes. So much of the movie is backloaded into that last act that I was probably overwhelmed a bit.

Curious though, why did they kill off the mother? Because she was enabling him? It seemed a little strange considering that she'd naturally have a bit of Stockholm Syndrome if she was a 'trainee' herself and probably couldn't 100% be held entirely responsible for her actions.
Mainly because she failed at standing up to him, even in the end she wouldn't aid The Woman. My guess she was dead the moment she mentioned the board to the husband.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

From what I remember of the Oldboy manga, it's a much slower burn than the film and a little less off-kilter. I could be wrong or remembering totally inaccurately, though.
I'm pretty sure he only took the premise from the manga, the plot is barely the same.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Have we talked about this PA Japanese knock-off? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1728179/ I'm curious to watch it because Japanese knock-offs of US flicks are usually fun to watch.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So I'm watching Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 right now and uh, how the hell did this poo poo get made?
It's actually a great sequel, and would be recognized as so if there ever was a director's cut. The avaible edit ruins a some of the scenes, plus the awful opening song kills the mood.