Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
So what's the scariest alien movie ever made? Only the specific stereotypical humanoid aliens scare me, where as I can watch monster movies just fine. This is my phobia but I'm trying to beat it by watching the worst of the worst. Aliens mixed with uncanny valley effect of abductees make me poo poo my pants.

I've seen Fire in the Sky, Communion (I couldn't finish the book, it creeped me out more than the movie), The Fourth Kind, Close Encounters, all the Alien movies & Signs.

So far I've got Dark Skies next on my list,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I saw Fire in the Sky when I was 8 years old which I'm pretty drat sure is the reason I'm terrified of aliens. That being said, I viewed it again recently, and while it was still horrifying (jesus that abduction scene), the appearance of the aliens itself didn't affect me too much as they didn't have that "alien look" (like in Communion or....Paul...)

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Everyone's always talking up Incident and Lake County/The McPherson Tapes around here. I didn't find it particularly impressive, but evidence suggests that if grey aliens are a trigger, this movie will freak the poo poo out of you.

I didn't know what this was until I looked it up, turns out I have seen it, and it did scare the crap out of me near the end. That being said I felt like as a movie it wasn't very good and it dragged on too much.

I also like movies relating to aliens as well, like The Forgotten or Mothman Prophecies. I think the latter is an excellent movie and it has some interesting concepts presented during the meeting with the author scene.

SBJ fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 6, 2013

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Meowbot posted:

Can you recommend any other good "everything is depressing" movies? Most of the times I finish a movie I am disgusted because just as expected everything ended up fine for the protagonist. I love to finish a movie and feel lovely because of what I just watched. The last movie I watched that made me feel that way was probably A Serbian Film.

The Divide is pretty loving bleak.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a horror movie set on a spaceship? I was brainstorming last night and I could only come up with Alien (obviously), Pandorum, Event Horizon, Sunshine, and Jason X. All I could think was "no way is that it." I'm sure there's probably legions of crummy B movies with the premise but I was just curious if there's any actual good movies I could watch.

Here are some that I liked that you haven't listed:

- Apollo 18 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVnot2u5B8)
- Dead Space: Downfall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUvRlvXs1Cs)
- Mission to Mars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8V6jTW3xTQ)
- Moon (fantastic movie, though not sure if it's what you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q)

There is a movie coming out called Gravity which looks interesting (trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0BYf0).

Sci fi horror is probably my favorite genre when it comes to movies.

SBJ fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 26, 2013

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of which, what are some horror films that prominently feature swarms of (regular-sized) insects?

I know Wicker Man and Candyman by reputation, and I've seen the third Exorcist film (I don't remember being that impressed, but it was a while ago and the concept is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.)

I think Drag Me to Hell featured this pretty heavily. Although it wasn't the main focus of the movie.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

timeandtide posted:

I'm surprised no one has done it before Grave Encounters did: a real life TV show stumbles upon a real haunting and can't cope.

Wouldn't Ghostwatch fall under this category? Speaking of which I watched it last night after seeing it recommended here and I thought it was pretty great, quite spooky too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I thought Drag Me to Hell was an enjoyable movie, but at the same time I thought it was incredibly simplistic. I don't think people should read too much into it. Everyone in that movie is a caricature.

Also no, it wasn't scary at all.