Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has anyone here seen The Dead yet? It's a DTV zombie film set in Africa. It looks kind of cool, but I'm kind of skeptical about any zombie movie due to the oversaturation of that market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Not really horror, but the game Arkham Asylum does some of the best 4th-wall breaking I've seen in a game. Even though it's an older game, I'll use the spoiler tags just in case: As you are walking down a hall, the game appears to crash on you. It ends up being part of the Scarecrow storyline

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I found The Strangers to be really good up until the part where he shoots his friends in the chest. After that, I found it lost tension.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Cubone posted:

Jesus poo poo was Chernobyl Diaries a stinking fuckin turd or what? I could almost see the movie cramping up and drowning in its own wasted potential.

Yeah pretty much. The first 45 minutes or so were pretty good, but the second half of the movie was just horribly boring, and came off as really low-budget. It's one of those movies that I hate more and more as time passes.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I recall the Tales From the Crypt movie from the 70s being pretty good. The Cryptkeeper wasn't scary in that one though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this just because kids loving LOVE monsters. Hey guys look, MONSTERS. Now give us your money. Then again, maybe you are right because that lovely film bombed like hell. A shame.

I was only 5 or 6 when this came out in the theatres and there was no way my parents would have taken me to see this, despite it being something I really wanted to see. This was one of the first movies I ever rented though, and I probably rented it 4 or 5 times. When I was old enough to start buying my own movies, the VHS of this was long out of print, so this movie was my white whale for years. I did finally track it down once it was released on DVD.

As for The Walking Dead, my big problem with the show is that it moves way too slowly. Less seems to happen in entire seasons of this show than an average episode of Breaking Bad.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I didn't find the new Resident Evil to be that bad. It was at least somewhat entertaining. The movie actually starts off with a recap of the series to date. I hadn't seen RE 3 or 4, and the recaps really didn't make it seem like I missed much.

I haven't played the games, but this wasn't difficult to follow. They actually lay out the facility it is in, and it shows how it's like a video game. They go through various settings, and even fight end bosses in some. Part of the movie takes place in "Suburbia" and it really evokes 2004's Dawn of the Dead.

I thought it fell apart in the third act though. It seemed to go on forever, and focuses on characters introduced for this movie that no one cares about anyway. There was also a lot of birthing imagery, and I have no clue how that ties in to the franchise at all.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

^^^^
There's definitely a comedic aspect to Cabin Fever.

penismightier posted:

I've said it many times, but seeing each one of the first three opening night are among my favorite theater experiences. Each is just so fun, genuinely creepy, and impressively lo-fi almost structuralist genre filmmaking. We take them for granted, and they are FANTASTIC pieces of filmmaking.

This is an excellent description. If you ever get the chance to see one of these on opening night, go. The theatres are full of the "right" kind of horror fans - the types that don't make snarky comments or overcompensate with laughter after a jump scare. Early in PA4, there's a jump scare in the family's treehouse, and it got a great gasp reaction from the audience.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

penismightier posted:

3 adds an oscillating camera conceit which really adds to the feeling of losing control.

I can see where you're coming from with this, but I felt the oscillating camera really telegraphed a lot of the scares.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

A lot of the movie in general was affected by this. You'd see a shot where one room looked normal. The camera would then go to the next room and return. I was expecting to see something had changed in the first room when the camera returned. I didn't specifically expect a sheet-ghost for example, but I felt that something would be off when the camera returned to the first room.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

penismightier posted:

See I got kind of the opposite effect, because I feel like it faked you out with that expectation a lot. You'd have to wait three or four rotations for something to be amiss. But I can't really be specific since I haven't seen it since theaters.

How 'bout that ending, though?

You mean with the witches? I kind of like these movies being more vague than having a specific mythology. That`s a minor nit-picking thing though. I`m more into the atmosphere of the films than the storyline.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

penismightier posted:

I ignore any kind of mythology, but man that shot of witches behind the door just standing facing the camera made me jump like a little baby girl. The folded over spine was probably the best final stinger of the series, which always tends to end a little weakly.

The folded over spine was awesome. The other shot you mentioned was a great jump scare as well.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

The other scare is kind of weird in that the dad doesn't react at all to what he's filming. He just kind of pans around and keeps moving at a regular pace in the other direction, rather than saying anything or breaking into a run. And neither does anybody else, although they might know that they don't have to.

I kind of expect that from any found-footage movie. I just accept that that sort of thing happens and I don't let it affect my suspension of disbelief.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I love the contrast between blue and orange that's present in Pumpkinhead. I know people think it's overused on movie posters, but it makes this movie look beautiful.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

It's been talked about in the general chat thread recently, but everyone in this thread needs to see Paranorman. It's not a scary movie, but it's a wonderful love letter to horror movies in general. with references to tons of classic horror movies, like Evil Dead and Halloween. Don't pass this one up because it's animated.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Xandoom posted:

Ah, I should have specified. I saw the Descent and it scared the poo poo out of me (I'm terribly claustrophobic and it was a nightmare). Perhaps some more claustrophobic horror?

Buried takes place within a coffin.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Is The Intruders worth a watch? The trailer looked good, but the plot synopsis didn't look so good.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The best way to watch Paranormal Activity movies is in a crowded theatre on opening weekend. It's just tremendous experiencing these in that situation. Every jump scare is just amplified so much, as the entire audience will gasp, and then just go into a nervous laughter afterwards. I've enjoyed all the PA movies, but the only one I've rewatched is the original. I just wish they'd ditch the mythos behind the series, and have each movie be a standalone story, shot in a found footage style.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

With a premise of monsters fighting in a WWE-style tournament, Monster Brawl is exactly as insane a movie you'd expect. It's low budget as hell, and it doesn't even pretend to have a plot, but it's worth watching for the premise alone, and all the actors, especially Dave Foley, ham it up. It does a lot of things right, like having the "tale of the tape" and pro-wrestling style promos before each fight. It also has Mortal Kombat style voiceovers during and after the fights.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I also thought Land was loving terrible, FWIW.

Land is a masterpiece compared to what would follow. Survival and Diary are among the worst films I've ever seen.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Since we're on a zombie kick here, has anyone seen Mimesis: Night of the Living Dead? I just saw it for sale in the new releases section at HMV, but according to IMDB it came out in 2011. Has anyone seen this?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

demozthenes posted:

I saw this at Rock & Shock last year, it had its moments (and fun Sid Haig and Courtney Gaines cameos) but overall kind of flopped. It's campy and an interesting concept, and definitely has a lot of respect for NOTLD, but ultimately didn't amount to much in terms of story or motive.

Thanks for the info. The concept did look intriguing, but it definitely seems like the type of thing that will end up on netflix in a few months. I'll probably watch it then.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Also the best horror film of the year is S-VHS (followed by Stoker, if that counts).

S-VHS is my most anticipated movie of the year, and every time you mention it I'm filled with so much jealousy.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

S-V/H/S is the better title, and I wasn't even aware that it had been changed until I saw Coffee and Pie's post.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Silent Hill 2 was pure crap. It had a few nice character designs and set pieces, but had no clue what to do with them. It is the type of movie that should be shown in film classes during lessons on exposition.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The Night of The Living Dead remake from 1990 is worth watching. Despite following the same plot/premise, it changes who the central protagonist is, and creates a very different film as a result.

Edit: Drag Me to Hell uses the same premise as Thinner but it is a million times better.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The arm wrestling scene in Cronenberg's Fly is one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a film.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Kevar posted:

About to watch The Blob(1988). Am I wasting my time? I've never seen it or heard anything about it. All I know is it exists.

No, The Blob remake was awesome.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

OK Octopus posted:

If they ever manage to weaponize an airborne strain of contagious pretension, they should just go ahead and call it "CineD" because the effects would be almost totally identical.

Horror Talk: I recently watched Joe Dante's "The Hole," and it got me thinking about that weird niche of horror that, for lack of a better term, is almost like a dark family fantasy. Movies that tend to fall on the horror side of the spectrum and are a little spikier than "Coraline" or "Dark Crystal." 1987's "The Gate" and 1986's "House" would fall into that category. Any other recommendations?

There's been a lot of suggestions already, but you should also watch Mr. Boogedy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3IJ8OAw9FI and it's sequel Bride of Boogedyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQECx1PgC0.

These are both made for TV movies that originally aired on The Wonderful World of Disney in the mid-1980s. They're both haunted house stories, and would probably seem corny to anyone over 12, but I remember being really freaked out as a kid when these originally aired.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Land of the Dead is worth a watch, but for the love of god do not watch Survival of the Dead or Diary of the dead.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

It is indeed worth a watch, but some of Romero's social commentary is even more ham-fisted than usual (like "shock and awe" the zombies) and it gave me the impression at the time that it was all downhill from there and I was right.

Never seen Survival, but holy poo poo is Diary a piece of crap. It went for the found footage concept but added a bunch of really terrible melodrama and lovely CGI gore and is flat-out BORING at times.

I agree with your assessment of Land. I saw it when it was released, but I've never had a desire to revisit it. Romero isn't exactly known for being subtle, but this one really was too ham-fisted.

Survival is significantly worse then Diary. It follows the military people's story from Diary. it involves them on a farm or something? i can barely remember. It is one of the dullest films I have ever watched.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Edwardian posted:

Any recommendations of good horror movies for 12-year-olds? I have 8 of them sleeping over for my daughter's birthday, and they want to watch scary movies and scream all night.

I'm thinking some of the cheesier ones from the '80's might work -- "Night of the Comets<" maybe, or "Night of the Creeps?"

I remember developing my enjoyment of good horror movies around that time, but damned if I can remember what we watched.

We watched Return of the Living Dead at my 12th birthday. It's kind of gory though, and there is nudity so I'm not sure if you'd be able to show the kids that one. Recent horror movies like Insidious or Sinister may be more appropriate.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Man, with all the complaining about The ABC's of Death I knew I'd be in for something bad, but I wasn't expecting that bad. There's nothing worse than a movie that can't live up to low expectations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Chernobyl Diaries thoughts: When we had scary fish, wandering bears, and aggressive wolves I found the movie scary. It seemed to be building up to a theme of nature overcoming humanity. It was implying that even after a nuclear blast, nature would prevail. I thought this was very well done. Then they introduced the mutants.Once it became a no-budget Hills Have Eyes movie it lost all tension, and dragged on through it's final act.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

God drat The Conjuring was good. It had such a great atmosphere, and Wan never wastes a jump scare either. Best date movie I've been to in ages.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

In a year that's had Texas Chainsaw, The Purge, Carrie, Evil Dead, insidious 3, World War Z, insidious 2, The Conjuring, VHS 2, The Frankenstein Theory, last Exorcism 2 and You're Next, I would say we've had a pretty good variety of major horror releases.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Not all of those movies have come out yet, but they will be in the next few months. I think You're Next is August, Insidious 2 is September and Carrie is October.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I also forgot Dark Skies, which features aliens, and Lords of Salem, which features witches. The state of horror is more diverse than it gets credited for.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Speaking of jump scares I am eagerly awaiting Friday for Insidious 2. So far the early critic reviews either love or hate it. Looks to be about the same with the first one.

Some theaters have showings tonight. I'm pretty pumped for it too. I was one of those people who initially off-put by the 3rd act of the first movie, but that's mainly because it's so unexpected in it's tonal shift. A re-watch of the movie really helped improve things.

Aside from Insidious 2 and Carrie, are there any other wide-release horror movies out in September/October? The schedule looks pretty bare. I;m also worried about the quality of Carrie, as the trailers aren't really suggesting that it's going to be much different from De Palma's adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

So who else is seeing Insidious Chapter 2 tonight?

I probably will.