Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I enjoyed Insidious 2 as well. It's one of the few horror movies that really justifies giving out so much backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

osietra posted:

The family is a metaphor for the basic tiers of aspergers. I think it's 'metaphor'. The trouble is the family members switch roles throughout the film, which is the issue I have when posting on an iPhone. Usually when I read this thread I have a glass of cider and an iPhone in my smoke-hole, and really enjoy reading about horror esoterica. Typing long well thought out responses on an iPhone for me is just another pain train going into a carpal tunnel.

I'll explain, I dunno, the next time I can use my wife's Ipad.

I think understanding this post might be a test for aspergers.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Hey, how bout them horror movies, huh? (He said, hoping to stave off this topic that has no good ending...)

I just got back from Insidious: Chapter 2. Not gonna lie; I mostly enjoyed myself, thought it was pretty good. The audience was annoying, but didn't really ruin everything. One caveat to consider before seeing it, though: it isn't a horror movie.

One reason why this is is kinda unavoidable given that it's a sequel to the first one: one of the main plot points is identifying the main mystery of the first movie (to whit, the identity of the Old Woman, and what she wants ), and that takes away the ambiguity of "What the gently caress is happening?" that movies like this one need. Horror is a subjective thing, and pinning down something that everybody is going to see as scary and nightmarish is too great a task for anybody; once you show the thing going bump in the night, no matter what, someone's going to think "Oh. Well, that isn't so bad," and that's it. No more horror.

[/spoiler]

Giving away everything about the old "woman" was a huge strength in this one. Normally it wouldn't be, but Insidious 2 provided a lot of closure to the first one. It also sets up that if there are any sequels, the ghostbusters will be the main characters, not Patrick Wilson & Co. We'll also have a new antagonist.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah they really failed to realize the dramatic and subtextual richness of the three billy goats gruff.

Fairy tales are loaded with subtext. In a lot of the original versions the subtext was the text itself, but as the stories evolved a lot of elements that would have no longer been tasteful or appropriate were phased out or replaced.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

How is this a thing that exists?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2486630/

As an aside, does anyone know any horror movies where the victims are largely sympathetic? I wouldn't say the kids are bad in 'Halloween' really, and some of the Friday movies largely make their characters work. Anyone have any others?

Um...most of them? A lot of the morality-type slashers have characters killed for minor transgressions (smoking weed, pre-marital sex, etc). Some specific examples of sympathetic victims would be Scream, Hostel, The Devil's Rejects. There's a lot more though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

The people in the original Texas Chainsaw absolutely do not deserve the hell they find. Sally is a really great, normal every day character that gets stuck in the worst situation ever and at no point do you not want her to make it. It's tremendous.

Sheriff Wydell in Rejects is a really interesting character. He's the good guy (technically) and yet he's warped as poo poo. And it's probably because of what has happened to his brother. He's Zombie's finest achievement and a lot of that goes to Forsythe just owning all of his scenes. He's somehow sympathetic and yet God awful all at once.

I was thinking more about the folk band they torment, but that's a good point too.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Is there going to be an October horror viewing thread this year?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Dr.Caligari posted:

I came to ask this also. I am working working on my watchlist of 30 titles, but realistically I will be happy to get through 15 this year.

Me too. I can start a thread tonight when I get home, unless someone else wants to in the meantime.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

The Carrie remake was reasonably entertaining and certainly not bad, but it played things WAY too safely both in the setup and in the climax. It's 2013; bullying is far more pervasive now than it ever has been, and the things you can get away with in cinema are also far more brutal. It just didn't go far enough for me.

RE: Bullying, I expected them to show the extent that cyberbullying takes, and how its inescapable. Not just a little bit of Facebook and a Youtube video, it extends to all forms of social media. poo poo goes viral now. Teenage girls loving kill themselves because it goes so far. That kind of thing is extremely topical, and a movie displaying that would be realistically unsettling and dark. So a mainstream horror film that barely scratches the surface in that subject matter just seems too tame to be using it as a plot device. If anything they didn't push Carrie far enough to justify that climax.

I agree with this assessment 100%. Cyberbullying is a huge problem, and while it's existence is acknowledged in this, we really don't get to see much of the effect that it has on Carrie. The problem is Carrie isn't really shown as being tech-savvy at all - the one kid has to show her how to expand a YouTube video for example. They really needed to update this and let the White's have modern techno,logy so we could see the effects of the bullying.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Paranorman is a better telling of the Carrie story than Carrie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I think you'd mostly get a consensus that House of 1000 Corpses is really bad, as you say, but the Halloween remakes are pretty divisive. Some people really like them, and if you do then I can see thinking of Zombie's work as steadily improving.

House is actually criminally underrated. Underneath the music video aesthetic there's actually a loving tribute to the entire horror genre. I know it's just Zombie mashing up his favorite horror movies, but most of the movie works dammit.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

axleblaze posted:

See the problem is it doesn't really. Difference of opinion and all that but I really wanted to like that movie and I've even given it multiple tries but it's just kind of a mess. There are a few great moments here and there but they are lost in what is mostly a muddled, pointless slog. It's the product of it being made by a filmmaker that was a little too enthusiastic about this stuff. He throws in every thing he possibly can just for the sake of throwing it in with no concern as to if it fits together into anything compelling or coherent. It does interesting things but it does them for no good reason other than Zombie thought it'd be cool. I don't mind that the movie exists and I respect him for making what he wanted to make but I just don't find it very enjoyable.

Maybe it is just a difference of opinion, but I think it works well if you view it as a carnival ride. Zombie did throw everything against the wall, and not everything stuck. It's like how a carnival haunted house will have some exhibits that work and some that do not. It's a very bizarre movie and it's very disjointed, but I still like it. I might watch it later tonight. Busy with Trick R Treat right now though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I like Freddy vs Jason, but the second act really keeps it from becoming an all-time classic. In the second act we (the audience) find out about the background of the characters and villains, and the motivations and what not. This is good - it gives the audience the background info they need. Where it goes wrong is that the audience is way ahead of the characters at this point. They have a massive exposition dump that allows the characters to catch up to the audience, and the film just reaches a grinding halt at this point from which it never quite recovers.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I do wish they had the money to go with the original ending though.

What was the original plan?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Xandoom: skip Saw V. Watch Saw VI instead. It's fairly self-contained, and probably the best one in the series.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

saulwright posted:

I might be in the minority here, but I don't even really want the overall witch plot to be advanced much more in future movies. If they go any further with it, things are going to get overly detailed / cumbersome a la the line of torturer successors in Saw. That being said, maybe they can surprise me and take it in new directions like the have in The Marked Ones.

I completely agree about not expanding further. Too many horror franchises self-implode due to trying to explain too much.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Skywalker OG posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on House of 1000 Corpses? I finally watched it way after enjoying Devil's Rejects and thought it to be a visually interesting overt mashup of a billion references to genre classics. I'm definitely going to rewatch Devil's Rejects but generally I can sense alot of growth into paring down to the group and the police, since 'House' takes a dramatic left turn in the last half hour that kind of tonally and thematically derails the movie, though it alludes constantly to it.

It's not too well-regarded, but a few of us like it. I like the general aesthetic of it, and while it's somewhat disjointed and uneven, Zombie's love for the genre really shines through. It seems like he was putting everything on the table as it might have been his only shot at making a feature length movie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

No idea how one could jump to Romero stumbling onto the subtext of the Dead films. It was always there and he obviously intended it to be so.

I think it's because Romero doesn't outright admit that it's intentional that people have jumped on to say it is there by accident. It sounds more like he's being coy or modest about the subtext then outright ignorant of it existing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Speaking of Ed Gein, the other day I met one of the psychiatrist's who treated him, it was actually really interesting.

And while we're on the subject, after the original, which one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies are worth watching? Not including the remakes.

This franchise has actually been remade several times. There's also a few non-successive sequels.

The first one is essential horror, and I'm somewhat shocked you haven't seen it. The second one is pretty divisive, but some goons like it quite a bit. It has Bill Moseley in a pretty iconic role of Chop Top. I haven't seen part 3, but it's a reboot as well I believe. . Part 4 was literally only released because Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger both became bigger stars several years after this one was completed.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I just watch Day of the Dead for the first time since the 90s. It is way better than I remembered. When I was younger I was bored by this one, but watching it now I was completely enthralled by the human conflict.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

His first Halloween is worth a watch. I haven't seen the sequel so I won't comment on its quality.

House of 1000 Corpses is his tribute to 70s/80s horror movies. It has issues because zombie throws too much in there, but it also has great atmosphere throughout.

The Devils Rejects is his best film. While it's a sequel to House, you don't need to watch House first to understand this one.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I liked You're Next but it really doesn't need a sequel (or prequel). It's a tight film that doesn't leave a lot of loose ends, and the villain's motives are very contained.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

What was that movie that like WWE produced where the killers kidnap a guy who's like a psycho serial killer himself? I was something like Everybody Dies. No One Lives? Yeah, was that as terrible as it looked?

I follow enough wrestling that I feel I should have heard about this one.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I honestly don't think I heard of it. Was it direct to video? Is it worth tracking down?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I've been laughed out of other threads for posting this, but I don't care because I'm serious. As a Franko-American myself (presently made out of four people and I've lost track of the scar count, which is about to go up in the morning) I've decided it's time to take the term "Frankenstein" back. That's our term now, like homosexuals took back "Queer", and African Americans took back the N-word. I'm a Frankenstein and I'm proud.

In more on-topic discussions, Cheap Thrills was brought up. Has anyone heard of the film Would you Rather?, as the two movies seem extremely similar based simply on trailer and box descriptions.

I watched Would you Rather? last fall. It's not terrible or anything, but it was really gory and predictable.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The best Tales from the Crypt movies came out in the 70s.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I found The Conjuring and Grave Encounters to be legit scary. I also found the first 2 acts of Insidious to be pretty scary as well. Really, anything that's found footage or a haunting can get me pretty good. Sometimes i feel silly afterwards though.

Buried isn't a horror movie, but I almost had a panic attack the first time I saw the trailer.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I forgot about it in my previous post but I also found The Strangers to be scary.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Speaking of nuclear war, did anyone watch The Day After when the Cold War was still on? My first viewing of the movie was fairly recent, and I don't remember too mucn of the Cold War. I didn't find this scary as I'm fairly far removed from the situation, but do any of you recall being freaked out by this when you were younger?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I've watched hundreds of horror movies and there's still hundreds that I want to see. Suspiria, The Omen & Phantasm are probably the biggest ones I haven't seen. There's a lot of franchises where I've seen the inaugural entry but none of the sequels as well.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Is there a way to watch WNUF (legally)? I haven't seen it available for rent through the PSN or my cable provider.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Saturday the 14th is tomorrow's film.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Would Slither count as a bug infestation movie?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

What franchise do you consider to be the most consistent in terms of quality? Like, if you like one entry you'll probably like them all?

Personally I'd go with the Evil Dead series but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

JohnnySavs posted:

Scream maybe? Final Destination? It's much easier to come up with horror series on the other end of the spectrum.

Horror movies that are all consistently bad kind of count too. It's always good to know what to avoid.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Slackerish posted:

if you're saying either Scream or Final Destination are consistently bad then you're an idiot.

Some of the FD movies suck, yes, but the first two and the last one were awesome.

All of the Scream movies are great and I don't care what anybody else has to say about that :colbert:

No, I don't think Scream or FD suck. I just quoted more than I should've. I haven't seen all the FD movies yet, but the ones I have seen have been fairly decent. the Scream franchise has varying degrees of quality though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Oliver Reed posted:

Still multiple pages behind and trying to catch up but what from 2014 is worth a watch in the horror world? Stuff from the latter half of last year is fine, too...I'm still going through new releases from like 2011.

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is definitely worth checking out.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The Purge 2 is a huge improvement over he first, but the big flaw of this series is the politics if this universe tend to be far more interesting than anything on screen.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Really, "wildly disproportionate cosmic retribution for a minor transgression" is what happens to literally everyone except the hero in most horror films.

Wait - are you seriously suggesting that someone who smokes marijuana or has premarital sex doesn't deserve to be brutally murdered and dismembered? Take that bleeding heart poo poo to D&D!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I really think the Purge would work better in an anthology format. I guess this one kind of was to a degree as the 3 storylines don't collide until the second act, but this series needs to show more than just the murder that goes on. It hints at it, but it's way too focused on the lynch mob aspect.