Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Just got back - and I thought it was a letdown.

The 3D is used well - I think it's particularly useful in the slasher genre because even when there's not some axe flying at your face or flames bursting off the screen, the filmmakers can direct your attention to exactly where they want. As previously said, they really do establish a foreground, middleground, and background in effectively every shot. I was a LITTLE underwhelmed with some of the more in-your-face effects, but not so much to really take away from it. I think when you're talking about one of the first live action RealD movies, a bit too much restraint rather than "HOLY poo poo 3D EVERYWHERE" is probably a good thing.

However....

The rest of the movie is garbage. Maybe I was expecting the wrong thing, because I've never seen the original, but this movie kept a plodding pace until the last 30 minutes. They tried to make up for it with the Whodunnit tale, but that barely kept my attention. There are some really cool moments, but its largely forgettable.

In the end, the 3D is worthwhile and there's some decent moments, but I'd still try to hit a matinee rather than paying full price. If your only option is 2D, well, then don't even bother. I think in the next 2-3 years, we'll see a really well-done 3D slasher, but this one is a barely passable debut for the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

lemonlime posted:

The rapes feature total nudity but are neither titillating nor arousing, so the man on a first date needn't fear any inopportune reactions that might frighten his companion.

:wtc:

Glad to hear it was good, I'll have to check it out when I find time, but seriously dude, I don't think you should worry about dudes popping a boner while taking a chick to see this on their first date, because, well, you know.

Hell, what would the 2nd date be? A Serbian Film?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There seems to be an ominous lack of discussion regarding The Possession on these forums. So, how bad is it? Has anyone even bothered with it?

Girlfriend wanted to see it, so we went last night. She liked it enough, but I thought it was pretty bad. A few jump scares, but nothing unpredictable (doubly so if you've seen the trailer) and not particularly frightening. JDM's acting borders on solid, but most performances are bad - very general spoiler I suppose the supremely useless older sister plays her part well, she's just not interesting in the least. A few absurd moments remind you that Sam Raimi is involved, particularly a few of the final scenes. I'd say save it for DVD/Netflix.

Edit: how did I not mention Matisyahu?!

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 2, 2012

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Since REC came up a few posts ago, I was looking through trailers and upcoming movies and found that there is a teaser trailer for REC4 out. Now, REC3 is poo poo, but the fact that REC3 and REC4 are being done seperately by the two guys who co-directed REC gives me hope that REC4 can return to the quality of the first two. The teaser trailer has no new footage, but confirms that the focus of the story is back on Angela, and not some unrelated plot like REC3, which was enough to get me excited.

The very next thing I read was a quote from the director saying they're going away from found footage. :sigh: I give up.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I saw Mama tonight and really didn't care for it. The introduction scene and the tug-of-war scene had some fantastic touches. The premise was great, and the first 25 minutes or so, but from there I thought the wheels came off. I am interested to check out the short, though - I imagine it packs a punch if it focuses on the parts I enjoyed.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Just chiming in to say that It Comes at Night absolutely loving destroyed me. I love slashers for the thrill-ride feel, and indie horror stuff like Babadook and The VVitch for their cerebral-ness. It Comes at Night started me off with about 2 minutes of melodrama that I found cheesy, but then slammed hard into being very brutal and punishing emotionally. About 10 minutes in, I found myself saying "wow, this is loving bleak" - 20 minutes after that, "bleak" couldn't begin to describe it. I found it to be well-made and very effective, and I never want to see it again. I'll admit, I don't care who opened the door or who infected who, I just found it to be terrifying throughout, and couldn't imagine a more unsettling or disturbing way to depict the end of humanity.

I don't know if this will serve as an endorsement, or the exact opposite. All I can say is that I've never wanted so badly to walk out of a movie because I simply couldn't handle it.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

BrendianaJones posted:

I feel like the trailer gave away too much, re: the doctor telling her she should be dead, as though she is retaining any damage she receives in each loop and will die at the end after solving her own murder.

I don't know if spoiler tagging speculation is overkill, but better safe.
(Happy Death Day trailer talk)

I suppose that's a possibility, but it seemed to me that she is run over by a bus, and survives to the shock of the doctor. basically saying that she can only be killed by the killer, and she will live until that happens. Earlier in the trailer, we see the baby-mask killer chasing her through the hospital, so I saw it as a 2nd act plot point and not a major spoiler.

I really hope this movie is the awesome kind of dumb that the trailer sold me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

There's a bit where it looks like the killer actually does get her and then the day starts over, so I don't think that's it. It's probably the exact premise of Groundhog Day, where there's something *not right* about the world that she has to rectify by catching the killer.

Kinda like a reverse Final Destination in a way. Death refusing to let her die because she has to do something first.

That's what I mean - the time-loop doesn't reset until she is killed by babymask. There's a shot of her tackling this movie's Ned Ryerson and then getting hit by a bus - that's what I'm assuming leads to the "these injuries are severe, you should be dead" line. Then it appears that babymask gets her in the hospital and we'd be back to square 1. So as best I can tell, going the Bill Murray toaster-in-the-bathtub route won't work - she essentially has to be killed by babymask.