Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I watched The New Blood, Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X tonight. New Blood and X were both loving awful, and Manhattan was pretty stupid too, except for a few awesome parts.

But The New Blood is my favorite one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So Michael Myers is Jason now, basically?

Brad Dourif owns though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It would be awesome if, instead of the usual Masters of Horror or whatever thing, one year they were just like "Everyone make a Jason movie" and then you ended up with a lot of different directors doing Jason movies and maybe one would be good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

UncleMonkey posted:

I find this to be a supremely stupid idea.

Yeah, I can't help but think that any reboot of Scream would miss the point entirely. Plus, why are people rebooting series from the 90s?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Rob Zombie makes horrible movies. In the H2 trailer I saw a creepy clown mask, a horrible mirror shot, Rob Zombie's wife, and Michael Meyers looking like Leatherface. I hate Rob Zombie so much.

The Devil's Rejects owns though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I forgot that Rainn Wilson was in House of 1000 Corpses and now it's really bothering me

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Slasherfan posted:

Someone should make a movie about a goon meet where the goons meet up and go camping together. Only someone picks them off one by one.
"Someone is making the internet a better place, one goon at a time"

The shortest chase scenes in any movie ever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Pillowpants posted:

But IMDB places the movie in 1981. I don't know why he would have black and white televisions, rotary phones or things along that nature in the future. Are you sure he didn't just gently caress up the continuity?

I doubt he hosed it up, I would imagine he just doesn't give a poo poo.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Blockbusters have had it on the shelf for months now

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The reason people don't guess the twist ending in High Tension is that it takes a huge leap of logic to reconcile what you've seen with what the ending tells you actually happened.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder if the mythical "directors cut" of Ho1KC was any better. I think Zombie finally said it was never going to see the light of day because he doesn't feel like dealing with the movie anymore, but I wonder if it made the movie decent.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Bethesda Softworks

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah man put plastic things directly onto your eyeballs so that you can better enjoy a bunch of movies that are mostly bad

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cheezymadman posted:

The problem with Evil Dead 2 is it doesn't know what it wants to be. The first one was a solid horror flick. Army of Darkness was a solid comedy. Evil Dead 2 tries to sit the fence, and you can't do that with horror and comedy. It's either one or the other, with very few exceptions.

I hadn't seen Evil Dead 2 in years and I kind of expected not to like it anymore, but I think I actually like it more now. The parts that it plays as comedy work really well, and as a bonus I still find a lot of the special effects really unnerving and I found myself genuinely creeped out quite a few times.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I want to go back in time and beat up whoever told George Romero that his movies have political/social subtext because then he started doing it on purpose and it sucked

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

InfiniteZero posted:

Even Dawn had heavy handed social/political commentary to it though.

I had just assumed that someone told him sometime between Night and Dawn.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The whole race issue in Night of the Living Dead may have been accidental, but if you seriously think that movie had no social or political subtext to it, you're being willfully ignorant.

I didn't say it wasn't there, I just don't think it was intentional. I have a hard time believing that he knowingly made "Night" as good as it is and then somehow lost any sense of subtlety or style by the time "Dawn" rolled around.

Edit: I'm probably being too reductive. Night of the Living Dead is a smart, scary, understated (maybe because of the budget more than anything) movie about zombies and how people trapped together in disaster situations might be just as bad as the zombies. Dawn of the Dead is a kind of doofy, over-the-top take on the same thing with (generally) worse acting. It definitely feels to me like he went, "This is what people seemed to like about my movie, let's ratchet it up and blast everyone in the face with it"

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 5, 2010

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I meant narrative style more than anything else but we can certainly agree that Suspiria owns. I wish I would ever get to see a theatrical release of it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Angora posted:

I love me some Wes Craven, but I'm probably going to end up skipping my soul to take because it's being done in a 2d-3d conversion. Alice in Wonderland really left a bad taste in my mouth about that whole deal.

Shame because I'm getting a free movie ticket today. Social Network I guess :(

Can't you just see the 2D version?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Grendels Dad posted:

Spoiler that poo poo man, movie ruined!

Thanks for quoting it and not adding spoiler tags of your own!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Spirogyra posted:

And a third thing, Diablo Cody working on an Evil Dead reboot? Is this a horrible rumor, incorrect reporting, or my nightmares come to life?

I liked Jennifer's Body and I don't really care who knows it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really liked Noroi. It's kind of slow but it creeped me the gently caress out. I don't think it has a US DVD release unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It's been discussed fairly recently, but as far as the "found footage" movies go, I really loved Noroi. It kind of goes off the rails at a certain point, although I think SMG disagrees with me a little on that point, but the premise (the "found footage" is footage filmed for a SyFy Channel-style "Ghosthunters" TV show) works really well and it has some really scary moments.

My problem with found footage movies in general is strangely enough that I hold the actors to a higher standard. I believed that The Blair Witch Project could be found footage (even though I knew it wasn't) because the acting never tipped me off. In the Poughkeepsie Tapes, on the other hand, the acting was constantly shocking me out of the movie. Paranormal Activity's acting is kind of inconsistent but generally convincing, and Cloverfield actually seemed to work pretty well.