Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I can't remember, is the idea of a giant shark actually out for revenge just implied by Brody's psychotic grief-stricken wife, or does the shark literally track and kill specific people?

There was allegedly a subplot that was trimmed out of the movie that introduced voodoo and implied the shark was indeed targeting the Brodys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My favorite thing about Jaws the Revenge is when Mario Van Peebles taunts Michael Brody by humming John Williams' Jaws theme over the radio.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I like the idea of some guy seeing Revenge From Planet Ape at the drive-in years ago stumbling across Tombs of the Blind Dead on TV and wondering why they cut the part about the apes. "The movie makes no sense now!"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Dracula A.D. 1972 is worth it solely for Dracula's resurrection scene.

One of his minions has spent more than 100 years trying to find a way to bring him back. He finally is able to do it and he's groveling at Dracula's feet, hoping for even the tiniest bit of recognition from his Master.

Johnny: Master, I did it! I summoned you!

Dracula: It was my will

*extends ring so that it may be kissed*

gently caress yeah, that bit is Peak Dracula, and it's why Lee is my favorite Dracula. Even Lugosi gave Dracula a twinge of humanity but Lee plays the role as an ice-cold monster that will snap your neck without even thinking about it. He just radiates contempt, never tries to hide what he is.

And maybe it's just because she's part of my favorite Hammer Frankenstein, but I like Susan Denberg from Frankenstein Created Woman. So much good stuff in that movie beyond Cushing not giving a gently caress about anything but transplanting souls.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pet Rock Band posted:

My body is ready.

I think the percentage of Jason X DVDs in 2016 that DON'T have a GameStop Used price sticker on them has to be under 25 percent, right?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I always hear people say that Zombie's Halloween ruins Michael Myers by showing he was just a hosed-up kid with a hosed-up home life, but to me that's what makes it a good companion piece to the original. Zombie wants you to see how mundane Michael's transformation is. There's nothing all that unusual about Michael Myers, and that's what makes it scary. Zombie's movie says there could be thousands of potential Michaels out there, all just kind of teetering on the edge of finally crossing the line. It's frightening for a different reason than the original's Michael because the evil doesn't come from nowhere, it comes from everywhere.

Plus, I love McDowell's Loomis as an even shittier Dr. Phil.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Halloween III is a fun movie, but it's stone cold stupid.

"Stonehenge. Hah, we had a time getting it here! You wouldn't believe how we did it!"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

SubG posted:

The original doesn't suggest that The Shape comes from nowhere, any more than, say, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) or Poltergeist (1982) imply that their antagonists come out of nowhere. All three suggest, more or less explicitly, that whitebread suburbs produce poo poo like that because that's just the way they work. In the '80s genre film the suburbs are more or less a machine that churns out alienation and concentrates it into faceless stabby things.

It's actually a much stronger argument for the sort of `it could be anywhere' thing you're suggesting Zombie is after.

I don't disagree with any of that, but what I was trying to say was that a lot of people dislike Zombie's version because they see it as trying to over-explain Michael by way of delving into his upbringing, and I think what he's actually saying is much closer to Carpenter's intent than those people see. By saying Michael comes out of "nowhere," I didn't mean to say that there aren't specific forces motivating him, just that those forces are - to the characters and the audience - unknowable. Both Carpenter and Zombie believe in the boogeyman, is another way to say it. Zombie's movie is a product of a world where we already know monsters live in the suburbs, but we want trace those monsters back to something mundane that could have been removed from the equation, like the rush to blame video games after Columbine.

Also, as far as left-field wacko horror movies go, I'm partial to Howling III: The Marsupials.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

SubG posted:

Yeah, but psychological realism in genre fiction is virtually never---and isn't here---something used to establish that `it could happen anywhere' or that there could be `thousands of potential Michaels out there', which are both forms of engagement with the material and specifically the genre-specific content of the material. It's a distancing mechanism, and specifically the kind which is symptomatic of the new sincerity in genre film, which embraces all of the trappings of historical genre filmmaking by making them more `realistic'---something which simultaneously venerates genre film and reveals an underlying embarrassment about it: if this is what a `serious' approach to the material looks like, then this carries the implication that the `traditional' approach isn't as serious.

I mean I don't think that's what Rob Zombie was thinking to himself when he was working on the project, but that's what's going on under the hood. It's one of the weird side-effects of the movement of (part of) genre filmmaking, and specifically horror filmmaking, into the mainstream. There's much broader acceptance of horror and exploitation film than there was in e.g. the '70s, but at the same time there's been a corresponding ossification or formalisation of sensibilities about the genre(s). It's okay to talk about what films have the `best kills' or whatever but most films which are legitimately transgressive get identified as `mean spirited' or whatever.

I mean, you know, whatever. Film changes, audiences change. The point I'm making is when we take a faceless killer with a hand tool and start spending a lot of time investigating his troubled childhood and why he decided to become a faceless killer with a hand tool, this isn't at all the same approach to the material or the same relationship with the material that Carpenter has in the original Halloween, which is legitimately both transgressive and engaged in a way that's probably not as apparent to viewers today as it was in 1978.

It's not the same approach to the material, no, but I don't think attempting to frame Michael through psychological realism necessarily distances the audience from the material. If Carpenter is using the idyllic suburban setting in 1978 to say "This won't keep you safe," Zombie is doing the same thing with psychology. Despite pulling back the curtain on Michael's childhood, the implication is that knowing these things about him still doesn't answer the central question of why. Whether it's picket fences or pop psychology, both movies say that no matter what you cloak yourself in, evil will still find you and you won't see it coming until it's too late.

I mean, I don't want to die on the hill of Rob Zombie's Halloween of all things, but many people see the inclusion of Michael's childhood as a misstep and I've never felt that way. In every way, it's an inferior movie to the original, but I think it's more engaged and thoughtful about the material than any other slasher remake from the same time period, and moreso than a lot of people give it credit for.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

My question is about Demons. What should I expect from this movie? Is Lamberto Bava worth my time in general? My hopes are high because its Bava's son being more or less mentored by Argento, but I haven't heard all that much about the final product. Is it actually any good?

Don't expect it to be "good" in the traditional sense, like the senior Bava's movies, but Demons is definitely worth watching, and even moreso if you don't come in with any expectations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I had a Shudder subscription through the Roku app, and that was just miserable - only one movie out of the seven I tried to watch let me watch it from start to finish without kicking me out, and that movie was "Day of the Animals" with Leslie Nielsen. The worst thing was that when I tried to resume, the app would take me back four or five minutes before the spot where it hiccuped and I'd have to sit through those five minutes again only to find out, nope, craps out at the same moment every time.

I cancelled my stand-alone subscription, got it as an add-on to my Amazon Video account, and haven't had a problem with watching anything so far. The only problem is that going through Amazon doesn't let you browse the same categories as the app or website, so some stuff is effectively hidden.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I loved Beyond the Black Rainbow and every so often I check IMDB to see if Panos Cosmatos has something else in the works yet. So far, no. Sad!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Give me a Kimmy Schmidt / Hellraiser crossover.

"We are going to tear your soul apart!"
"I know you are ... BUT WHAT AM I?!?"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm also reminded of Bruno Mattei's Shocking Dark aka Terminator: Shocking Dark aka Terminator 2 aka Aliens 2. Bad, bad movie, but the attempt at being a sequel to two different James Cameron movies is noteworthy.

I love that Mattei had to rip-off Aliens one last time before he died in the form of Zombies: The Beginning, which follows the shot-by-shot template of Aliens even closer than Shocking Dark did. In place of the queen alien, Mattei uses a brain in a jar that has been breeding naked little-boy zombies that hatch out of pods. It's an uncomfortable watch for those last 10 minutes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Am I the only person who prefers the serial killer/psychiatrist portions of Nightbreed more than the "city of monsters" angle? The idea that the main character is being manipulated by his therapist into believing he's a serial killer to cover up the therapist's murder spree was a really cool kernel of an idea that just gets swallowed up in all the mythology of the underground city and all of that.

Granted, it's been a while since I saw it and I might be hazy on the details, but I remember feeling like that immediately after it was over.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want a Pig Blood Blues adaptation so bad

come to think of it are there any horror movies with monster pigs besides Hannibal

Have not seen it, but there's a South Korean movie called "Chawz" on Shudder that is apparently about a monster boar.

And Trick 'r Treat is certainly the best recent horror anthology for my money, but it still doesn't come close to Creepshow. The first two VHS were okay, the third one was terrible.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

New Thread title is Great! It should say Your though.

What are some cold based Horror films. It's hot as hell here in Chicago.

Obvious answer is The Thing, but off the top of my head there's also Dead Snow, Ravenous, 30 Days of Night, Let the Right One In, The Shining, and early Cronenberg always looks like it's kind of cold due to being filmed in Canada. There's also Hammer's The Abominable Snowman and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man has the monster frozen in a block of ice to start with.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Out of BioZombie and Gnaw: Food of the Gods II, what should be a higher priority for me to watch?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

You are like the Skip Bayless of horror movies.

Harsh but fair.

Somewhere I got it in my head that BioZombie was an over-the-top splatstick movie that was Hong Kong's answer to Re-Animator or Evil Dead, so I was excited to find it on YouTube. Turns out it's a pretty tame zombie movie with a stock plot that takes way too long to get going. The emphasis on comedy and the main characters' emotional development makes it a sort of proto-Shaun of the Dead, but overall it would have been disappointing even if I hadn't been expecting something more like Dead Alive.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Whatever the gently caress happens at the end of City of the Living Dead

The Italians are good at this

Nightmare City also has a bonkers twist at the end - Hugo Stiglitz watches his wife fall off a roller coaster and then wakes up - it was all a dream! But then he leaves for work and he's back at the first scene of the movie and the zombies jump out of the airplane all over again!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

WolfCop feels like it was built around the werewolf sex scene, but Howling II already had it beat like 30 years earlier.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I mean, the scene in Howling II actually has three werewolves loving, right? So does that not count if we're looking for depictions of strictly monogamous werewolf sex?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

(E: and hosed if I know where you're getting "Halloween borrowed from Westworld" from.)

Carpenter has said he based Michael Myers' emotionless presence on Yul Brenner's robot. But that's not the same level of "borrowing" as Assault on Precinct 13 borrowing from Rio Bravo or Night of the Living Dead. And if I'm remembering right, Carpenter's version of The Thing hewed much closer to the original short story, which played up the paranoia/mistrust angle.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I liked Zombie's first Halloween, especially the parts where it examines Michael's childhood, but it quickly lost me when it had to include the plot points from the first one. What's the point of remaking Halloween, one of the most perfect films ever made, if you're just going to keep it the same? You can't possibly beat it on its own turf.

I should get around to Zombie's Halloween 2 soon. Maybe the original Halloween 2 as well, as I've only seen 1, 3, and 6.

Zombie's Halloween II definitely goes its own way after the initial sequence with Laurie in the hospital. I'm a fan of both his Halloween movies, but Zombie's H2 is by far the better movie because it's not rooted to Carpenter as much as the first one.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Bouncing off Starman what's the best one-off non-horror film from an otherwise horror director?

Danger: Diabolik isn't a great movie, but it's fun. Starman is probably the answer that's closest to the spirit of the question, but Spider-Man 2 is my answer with a lot of asterisks.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Horror Express is fantastic because you're already dealing with Lee/Cushing vs. the frozen alien caveman when in struts COSSACK TELLY SAVALAS.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Is there a difference between the Shudder website and the Shudder amazon add-on? My subscription recently ran out on Shudder, and I decided to renew it through Amazon, but someone told me not all the movies are available through the Amazon add-on. Is this true?

No, but the Shudder section on Amazon doesn't display every movie in its library for some reason. You'll have to find a movie on the Shudder website and then search for it on Amazon.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good lesser-known 80's-as-gently caress horror movies I can watch this weekend? Return of the Living Dead, From Beyond, Night of the Creeps or even Friday the 13th Part V kinda captures what I'm looking for, but I'm open. Stuff like House of the Devil would be cool, but I'd prefer legit 80's movies.

TerrorVision is a "good" one. The Video Dead might also scratch that itch for you. One I just watched recently that's 80s as hell is Uninvited.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

im gaye posted:

George Kennedy's finest hour.

And Clu Gulager's fake donkey teeth are scarier than that mutant cat puppet.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'm trying to sift through what I have yet to see on Shudder, can I get some opinions of a few movies?

I'm fairly certain that these are worth watching, but correct me if I'm wrong: Sante Sangre, Shock(Bava), Torso, The Crazies, Stagefright, Deadly Blessing

These I'm not sure about, but they sound interesting. Let me know if I should give any of these a shot: The Toolbox Murders, Ghosthouse, The Mutilator, Microwave Massacre, The Driller Killer, House on Sorority Row, Slime City, Frightmare, Long Hair of Death.

Microwave Massacre is barely a horror movie at all, it's more like a MAD Magazine parody of a horror movie. It feels like they started with the line, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whore!" and worked backward. If that sounds like your thing, go for it.

EDIT: Oh, and The Crazies is pretty good. It's Romero basically remaking Night of the Living Dead with 15 percent more cynicism.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for horror-centric podcasts? I'm looking for something that's smart about the genre but not self-serious. Searching through iTunes turns up a lot of "bad movie" shows that seem pretty insufferable.

I took the plunge on a Full Moon subscription based on you guys talking about it. I never got into Full Moon stuff because I used to be wary of DTV, but I want to give it a shot now.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

This is great, they just did an episode on The Hidden! Thanks a lot.

I've also been enjoying Streampunk lately, but they're limited by what's on the major streaming services and don't always stick to horror.

EDIT: ^^^ Ha, as I was typing. Their recent rerun about movie books they love got me to spend a lot of money.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

We should just make a podcast and call it Gimme Blood. I'd be down for that.

Call it "Our Favorite Castration Scenes" for maximum SEO.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Subspecies also centers on a group of college students studying vampire folklore, but I don't know if I'd call it "academic." I just watched that last night and thought it was pretty okay - is the rest of the series worth seeing?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm looking for unintentionally hilarious horror movies. "So bad it's good"-type stuff (though I hate that phrase because, to me, if that's the case, it's just simply 'good' and you like it)--but you catch my drift. Horror movies that manage to entertain for all the wrong reasons.

EDIT: Specifically, movies from the aughts! Think Feardotcom or Ghost Ship or something.

If you find a movie with "Howling" and then a number after it in the title, you're good.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Silver Bullet also has that line where Corey Haim complains his sister is "showing off her tits like nobody ever had tits before her." I miss nasty-rear end 80s movie kids.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My best theater experience with a horror movie was Blair Witch Project, opening night, with some friends from work. There were still a significant number of people - many of my work friends included - who still believed it was a documentary. One of my friends had a mini panic attack in the parking lot afterward, it was amazing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bloody Birthday was on TCM at one point last year and that movie made me legit worried about a couple of those child actors because of how creepy they were on film.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neurophage posted:

Ghoulies is all the worst parts of 80s horror condensed in one movie. A miserable waste of good effects.

This reminds me - I have Ghoulies 3 on DVD and have not watched it yet.

im gaye posted:

Ghoulies 3 takes things to the logical endpoint and it's a beautiful thing.

Oh good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wow, Ghoulies 3, huh? Only in the late 80s/early 90s could you make a horror movie that isn't a horror movie at all, it's the logical endpoint of Spielberg's influence in a way. Take out all of the softcore nudity and you have one of those made-for-TV Revenge of the Nerds sequels, only with a hero who aspires to have the charisma of Craig Kilborn. The ending features Kevin McCarthy in a community college production of Akira. Three stars, Joe Bob says check it out.