Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

timeandtide posted:

As I heard one previewer say, it actually seems to have "style" now.

C'mon now, the series had style back in the day. 1 through 4 are loaded with gritty style and a fun sense of menace. After that, they turned it up a few notches, but still, nobody can say parts 6 and 7 don't have style. Lightning strikes Jason's grave and resurrects him. He's chained to the bottom of a lake, where he walks like an abomination. Epic!

That said, I think this one could be cool as well, I'll definitely be there.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Michael Bay's team that did this Friday the 13th remake is working on an A Nightmare on Elm Street remake next. Personally, I think that has a lot of potential, Freddy is such an iconic character.

It's funny how Hollywood is literally remaking every successful horror movie from the 80s. Remakes of Hellraiser, Child's Play, They Live, and The Thing have all been announced.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

InfiniteZero posted:

That's what he wore originally in Part Two and for a lot of Part Three too.

Just to split hairs here, does he wear the bag in part 3? I remember we never see Jason's head in Part Three until he puts the hockey mask on. It's mostly first-person from his perspective until that point. I always interpreted that to mean he didn't have the burlap bag or anything on, which was why they didn't show him.

I don't have any problems with Jason running and being more like the old Jason, but I admit I'm more fond of the slow walking, tilted head Kane Hodder Jason, or the Ken Kerzinger Jason.

Jason's blond mullet in this one is certainly odd though, luckily it doesn't stand out too much. I anticipate Jason will catch on fire at some point in the movie, reverting him to his bald and bumpy look.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Slasherfan posted:

I made a video to show how awful Sweet Sixteen is, WARNING, it is known to bring grown men to tears, you might want to turn your sound down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPR1hC8_xI

That song is awesome, you kidding me? I had to turn the sound UP, because it was such a moving ballad, man. Is that Toto or something? :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Just saw this tonight, very fun movie. Outlandish, hilarious, gory as hell, gratuitous female nudity, epic dialogue... it has it all.

I also enjoy the RealD 3d, which was also cool in Beowulf. But yeah, I even enjoy MBV3D more than the original, because this one is just so much more gloriously over the top.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

The Remote Viewer posted:

Not only is it not a good film, it's not even a good slasher.

It gleefully includes all the slasher movie conventions, and does them amazingly over the top. This automatically makes it a good slasher, whether or not that makes it a good film is up to you though. :3:

Really though, I'm just glad we can still get slasher movies in theaters. 70's and 80's horror cliches are a lot more fun than the new ones.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Whispering Machines posted:

How did the killer get from inside the supermarket to outside the back alley in the space of like 3 seconds?

Its like in Scream, we can't sweat the details. :D

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'll play.

Friday the 13th: 4, F13 Remake, 6, FvJ, 2, 3, 9, 7, 5, 8, 1, & X

A Nightmare on Elm Street: 1, FvJ, New Nightmare, 3, Freddy's Dead, ... 4, 5, & 2

Hellraiser: 1... 3, 2, Inferno. Haven't seen the rest, didn't really like the sequels, love the first one though.

Child's Play: 1, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky, ... 2, & 3.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: 2, 1, 4, & 3. I like them all, haven't seen the remake or prequel though.

Chunky Delight posted:

Any advance reviews or thoughts about the new Friday the 13th or My Name is Bruce ?

I saw a screening of My Name Is Bruce, with Bruce and Grace Thorsen in attendence. Very fun flick, with classic Ted Raimi in a few hilarious bit parts, any Bruce fan'll love it.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 16, 2009

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

evilontwolegs posted:

- They were thinking of remaking Near Dark? That's just crazy talk.

Personally, I consider Near Dark to be a pretty flawed though entertaining movie. I'd actually like to see a remake of it.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I like the TCM2 where Dennis Hopper has a chainsaw battle with Leatherface. :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Darko posted:

Nothing is as bad as TCM: TNG

I like that one a lot, although I'm not a big fan of Jason X. Personal preference, but really as far as hilarious parody sequels go, Texas Chainsaw 4 is one of my favorites.

Matthew McConaughey is so amazingly funny in this movie, one of my favorite performances of his. Crossdressing Leatherface, the random government men in black who show up near the end... just pure greatness.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

timeandtide posted:

What? I think I'm going to have to rent this.

Good choice, my man. If it sounds awesome, it probably is awesome. :c00l:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Since we're casting older guys like Brad Dourif and Jeffrey Combs, I'm going to go ahead and say Robert Englund would be a good choice. You folks forget about that guy? :c00lbert:

But yeah, assuming they're casting a younger actor for the reboot, I'm not really sure who to go with.

I just hope they don't lose Freddy's charm, I can see them making him way too humorless, and maybe just angry. Freddy is supposed to be pretty sardonic and patronizing, like he's playing with his victims. Even in the classic original film.

He's very different from the other slasher characters, so I hope Michael Bay's company doesn't treat him like he's Leatherface or Jason.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

You're reading Freddy from the later movies into the first one. He didn't even have many lines in the first one.

Not true, plus I didn't even mention one liners. In the first film he's a slick bastard, and somewhat playful, while still terrifying. Like he's just toying with his victims. Very different from the regular slasher mold.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

I wouldn't call Freddy in the original sardonic and patronizing anymore than I'd call a cat playing with a mouse sardonic and patronizing.

ITT: Serious posts about Freddy Krueger.

Ok, think of Freddy as catlike, where as Jason or Michael Myers are a rottweiler. Or an angry bear. :3:

And he's a real prankster, like when he stuck his tongue through the phone. I just hope they don't make Freddy all "extreme". The man has class. At least, until the end of the film when he's had enough.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kentucky Shark posted:

I see where you are coming from, but I personally wouldn't call the gag where he sticks his tongue through the phone "classy" or "prank-ish". Yes, it's a sexually disturbing prank, but still. That and the "I'm your boyfriend now" line make it like one step removed from an attempted rape. His only other real gags in that one are slicing himself open and cutting his own fingers off. Beyond that, there aren't many flashes of his personality at all, so I'd say overall he comes across as a pretty menacing and sinister killer who likes to taunt his victims (especially Nancy).

I'd consider the tongue prank-ish, I mean it's done for Freddy's twisted amusement. Jason doesn't really do stuff like that, he's always out for the kill. Freddy's relative classiness, compared to other slashers, and his personality are evident in the movie. Even just from body language, though I do admit classy is a weird word to use here.

And I'm not disagreeing that Freddy is menacing and sinister, he certainly is. But he brings other elements to the table as well, which make him such a great character.

Granted, nobody's saying that Freddy is like Jason, I'm just hoping Michael Bay's boys realize this as well.

I think A Nightmare On Elm Street has a lot more subtleties to it than Friday The 13th, not that I don't love those flicks too. It'll be harder to do this one right, though I am hopeful.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 6, 2009

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Awesome Andy posted:

What does everyone think of Nightmare on Elm-Street: the new Nightmare

I like it, but in a different way. It's kind of a parody, leading to Wes Craven's Scream movies. Fun stuff, I prefer Freddy Vs. Jason though.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

thethuthinnang posted:

Also, surprised no one listed Friday 4 as their favorite.

I did. :c00lbert:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'll definitely be seeing it this Friday the 13th, looking forward to it.

I hope the musical score is as oldschool and classy as the music in the trailers. That captures the feel pretty well.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Definitely put Hatchet on your Friday the 13th playlist. Kane Hodder as Victor Crowley as Jason. :c00lbert:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

weekly font posted:

The whole movie is a John Carl Buechler/Kane Hodder bro five.

I think you're forgetting Robert Englund and Tony Todd. Hatchet rules, and it's quite appropriate for Friday the 13th week.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Slasherfan posted:

I have seen the new Friday The 13th and it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! Jason's back with a vengence baby!!!

Right on, I'm pumped! How was the musical score? Was it cool and oldschool, like in the trailers?

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
But how was the music, my man? And how often did we hear the signature Jason music cue?

Man, I watched Friday the 13th part 2 last night, hadn't seen it in a while. Definitely a great one, I love it when he moves the whistling tea kettle. Even Jason wouldn't leave a whistling kettle on, c'mon now.

Tonight I'm going to pop on my two favorites, Part 4: The Final Chapter and Part 6: Jason Lives. :rock:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Just saw the movie, freakin' loved it. It sold out pretty fast too, I hope this one does serious bank, and we get a sequel or two.

Easily one of the best Friday the 13th films, I'd put it up there with my favorite couple, parts 4 and 6.

I really loved the extended opening portion of the movie, it reminded me of Grindhouse: Death Proof in how he wipes out the entire cast, making way for a second cast to be introduced.

This has some of the most entertaining characters in the series. I got the most laughs from the jackass Trent, I just loved pretty much everything he does in the movie, and of course his girlish scream.

Jason kicked so much rear end in this movie too. In general, I just love the feel of the movie, it gets intense but it still has that sense of fun the series always had.

Also, I did enjoy the soundtrack, although it was nothing like the oldschool soundtrack used in the trailers. It had more of the intense industrial thing thats popular these days, especially in the Silent Hill games and movie, but it was used well. Intense stuff, plus I did like hearing the signature Friday the 13th music cue a few times.

Teenage Fansub posted:

wouldnt it final jump have been so much more effective if he was maskless

I love that he has the mask on at the end. That's the Jason we know and love, and I just think its cool that he grabbed the mask and put it on before coming back up. Amazingly satisfying ending.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Darko posted:

Ummmmmmm, 40 seconds in dude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fas5vEINCbY

For the record, thats a speargun, not a bow and arrow there. That said, I loved the bow and arrow in this new one, I'm always down with Jason using creative weaponry.

Freakin' loved this movie. I hope we get some sequels, it'd be like the 80s all over again.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Hollis posted:

I wonder if they are going to keep him as a unstoppable menace or if he will become zombified eventually.

That's a good question, I think maybe they'll keep the lines blurred on that. It's a horror movie, and its not going for total realism. I loved the ending, partly because of how unrealistic it was.

Jason got stabbed through with a machete, and thrown in the lake. But he's Jason, that doesn't phase him. He puts the mask on and bursts through the dock in record time, and it was glorious. I wouldn't mind if Jason continues to survive stuff that should kill him, and they just don't explain it. It's actually cooler if they don't explain it.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm enjoying this slasher thread, I wonder what's going to happen to it now that both movies are out?

The Last House On The Left remake is out next month... looks pretty terrible, I'd say.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Johnny Truant posted:

And with all this hype about new 3-D movies out: how awesome would a 3-D version of Friday the 13th be? That'd be the icing on my cake for horror movies at this point in time. :swoon:

Thats true, I enjoy the current "realD" technology we have going on. That said, there's always the old red and blue 3D version of Friday the 13th 3 on DVD now. I've never watched the 3D version, has anyone checked it out?

And I just watched the His Name Was Jason documentary, quite fun. One thing I found interesting is how most of the girls from those movies are still hot. Jensen Daggett from Manhattan is especially hot still. :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched that His Name Was Jason documentary earlier today and it looks like I'll have to go back and watch all of the past movies. So far I've only seen Part 1, Freddy VS Jason, and the remake, but Part 7, Jason Takes Manhattan, and Jason X in particular all look pretty interesting and like they'd be worth a watch.

Part 4: The Final Chapter is the best one, easily the best with the original series formula. Part 6: Jason Lives is also drat good, and hell Part 2 is very cool also. Tommy Jarvis, Jason's nemesis, is featured prominently in 4 and 6.

Jason X is pretty much just Jason killing people in funny ways in a tongue-in-cheek movie, which is done way better in 6: Jason Lives.

Plus part 4 has both Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman, so you know its the best. :c00l:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

There were a bunch of numbers to keep track of, so I'm not sure if I'm correct on this or not, but isn't 6 the one where it's not Jason at all but an impersonator? That doesn't sound too cool.

Part V: A New Beginning is the one with an impostor, thats one you can skip. Part 6: Jason Lives is the return of good ol' Jason, after his last appearance in Part 4: The Final Chapter. :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Pet Rock Band posted:

It ain't THAT bad, it has some cool kills, and at least has a LOT of them, and not much lovely plot like 7 and Manhattan(8)

I enjoy Part V, I'm just saying its one that could be skippable, if you don't plan on watching them all. I do rank it lower than others though, plus the lack of the real Jason makes it feel less essential. And it does have one of the hottest girls in the series, Debi Sue Voorhees. The fact that her real last name is Vorhees is great too.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lizardman posted:

(and personally I dislike it when the end credits roll precisely after a jump scare).

Really, why? That's my favorite kind of ending for a horror movie. A Nightmare On Elm Street, several of Friday the 13th movie, etc, it leaves you with that sense of menace.

It usually feels anticlimactic and weak for a horror movie to have a happy epilogue, although it can work from time to time.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lizardman posted:

To me it just seems kind of cheap when it's literally *BOO!*, *roll credits*

I guess it depends on who you're rooting for, and how you're watching the movie. For me, I'm all about Jason, and I'd feel like Christmas was over if the film ended on a happy note for the teens, with Jason defeated.

For me, it ending on Jason smashing through the dock was a standing ovation kind of moment. Literally the greatest moment in cinema so far in 2009. :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

qbert posted:

Why didn't they just call it Jump Scare: The Loud Noise Chronicles?

The German director loves to use some intense techno music. :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

So I watched The New Blood, Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X tonight. New Blood and X were both loving awful, and Manhattan was pretty stupid too, except for a few awesome parts. I've still gotta watch Jason Goes To Hell, but from what one of my friends told me, it sounds pretty loving ridiculous and enjoyable.

Oh man, you've got to watch Part 4: The Final Chapter and Part 6: Jason Lives. Please, oh man, you'll thank me later. :c00lbert:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Man, we need to speculate about the next Friday the 13th in here.

I actually wouldn't mind a Jason in an urban environment kind of film. Jason Takes Manhattan could have been really fun if done right, though it is still a pretty funny movie.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
[edit: woops, double post]

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Didn't care much for Part 4 when I watched it earlier today, but I just finished watching Part 6 and thought it was the best one in the series. Thank you! Haha

Right on, I knew we'd agree on one of them. :3:

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm impressed with how fast this Halloween 2 project is going. I really liked Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, so I'm looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

LeechCode5 posted:

According to this Bloody Disgusting article, it looks like we'll be getting another Friday the 13th in the near future.

Good to hear Damian Shannon and Mark Swift are working on the next script already. I can't get enough Jason.